• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Sober

Wait, is there a promo on DS games at EB?
Yes, used games, B2G1. DS/3DS lasts until the 8th.

I believe Wii/WiiU games are the next week's promo and then PS3/Vita or something along those lines the week after that.

Markville EB has shit selection though, but somehow they have like 5 copies of SMT4 and a handful of 3DS Blackgate there, hah.

QaaQer

I sent two games back for a refund almost three weeks ago. The tracking info shows they received them two weeks ago. The refund process is only supposed to take a couple days, but nothing has happened. I am not a fan of having zero power, since they have both my money and the products.

that does suck. I was worried about ordering the ps4 because it said 'no returns, no cancellations.'

Does anyone know what time Canada Post delivers until? My package has been out for delivery since 10 am here, and its getting close to 6pm.

Jinto

UPS and I can never be friends, ever! I'm hating them with a passion right now. It's really gonna make me think twice about ordering from Amazon in the future, which is unfortunate, since Amazon themselves don't seem too bad. I called them regarding my item, asking why it says "emergency conditions beyond UPS' control". Their response was, "because of emergency conditions beyond UPS' control". I know that, but why? What happened? Because of emergency conditions beyond UPS control. Argh! It's not my first frustrating episode with them either.

Anyways, I managed to pick up Tearaway for me, and Pokemon for niece at TRU with the buy 1 get the second game for 40% off, so at least that's good.

Also, I have a spare Zelda poster, if anyone wants it. It's this one from club nintendo...

zelda_albw_posters_big_4.jpg

First one to quote me can have it.

UPS and I can never be friends, ever! I'm hating them with a passion right now. It's really gonna make me think twice about ordering from Amazon in the future, which is unfortunate, since Amazon themselves don't seem too bad. I called them regarding my item, asking why it says "emergency conditions beyond UPS' control". Their response was, "because of emergency conditions beyond UPS' control". I know that, but why? What happened? Because of emergency conditions beyond UPS control. Argh! It's not my first frustrating episode with them either.

Anyways, I managed to pick up Tearaway for me, and Pokemon for niece at TRU with the buy 1 get the second game for 40% off, so at least that's good.

Also, I have a spare Zelda poster, if anyone wants it. It's this one from club nintendo...

zelda_albw_posters_big_4.jpg

First one to quote me can have it.

I'd like that poster :)

Live in Quebec did not get shop.ca ps4.
Some did, I did not.
No shipping confirmation, yet some got their ps4 with no shipping tracking number confirmations.

Shop.ca is fucking up They need some clarification on what the fuck is going man!

CREMSteve

Anyone know of a place to buy a PS4 in Calgary? Not looking to get price gouged, just want to pick one up for my nephew for Christmas.

I just read Big Lots is pulling out of Canada, was there any in Toronto? I'm looking for awesome Beast Wars Transformers toy knockoffs. barely any Dollaramas have them.

i-Jest

I just read Big Lots is pulling out of Canada, was there any in Toronto? I'm looking for awesome Beast Wars Transformers toy knockoffs. barely any Dollaramas have them.

Best Wars.....That takes me back. I'd say to browse around China town. You might find some cheep knock offs there. Other than that I got nothing....

Some did, I did not.
No shipping confirmation, yet some got their ps4 with no shipping tracking number confirmations.

Shop.ca is fucking up They need some clarification on what the fuck is going man!

I still haven't received my Confirmation yet either. Only get worried if it's not in your hands by the 9th. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

BTW, for those of us that ordered using Paypal can be lodge a complaint with them about Shop.ca?

Best Wars.....That takes me back. I'd say to browse around China town. You might find some cheep knock offs there. Other than that I got nothing....

I still haven't received my Confirmation yet either. Only get worried if it's not in your hands by the 9th. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

BTW, for those of us that ordered using Paypal can be lodge a complaint with them about Shop.ca?

Yep, it's up to 45 days, it will be 30 tommorow saturday(well for me since I ordered on nov 7)
We should complaint all at the same time if they fuck us over lol

Socreges

Banned
So EB games has stopped doing $10 next gen game upgrades. Were any other shops doing it?
Not sure I understand how this worked, but was it not deceptive of retailers to promote this upgrade, incentivizing consumers to purchase old gen games, and then revoke the deal so soon after the consoles' launches? I thought they were saying it'd be an option till January or something.

Not sure I understand how this worked, but was it not deceptive of retailers to promote this upgrade, incentivizing consumers to purchase old gen games, and then revoke the deal so soon after the consoles' launches? I thought they were saying it'd be an option till January or something.

It was supposed to be till january, but then again it's ebullshit games.

Basically they would give you $50 credit for the game if you traded it towards the next gen version. It was supposed to on until the Dec 31, but all trace of it has been removed from their website and the store said ended end of last month. The clerk said they were losing too much money on it, presumably because that Future Shop promo flooded the market.

Roto13

Basically they would give you $50 credit for the game if you traded it towards the next gen version. It was supposed to on until the Dec 31, but all trace of it has been removed from their website and the store said ended end of last month. The clerk said they were losing too much money on it, presumably because that Future Shop promo flooded the market.

That would make sense. It would also explain the $30 trade in deal on those three games a couple of weeks ago.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Deceptive? Not really when the fine print said it could be revoked at any time.

Has anyone received their games from the Future Shop Cyber Monday 50% off used games sale?

I ordered 2 Wii U games and the package has yet to even be picked up by Canada Post.

Tuck

Has anyone received their games from the Future Shop Cyber Monday 50% off used games sale?

I ordered 2 Wii U games and the package has yet to even be picked up by Canada Post.
Yeah mine came yesterday. Unfortunately one was in pretty shitty condition though.

Some did, I did not.

Only panic if you don't get the ship notice by the 9th. Wasn't in the office yesterday but from what I know of the last ps4 shipments, they started shipping before they were marked as shipped. The supplier should be marking them as shipped but for whatever reason their process lags behind the actual time the item ships. For example, I ordered AC4 on a Sunday night, it arrived Tuesday, but I didn't get the ship notice till Wednesday.

Edit: good to see you got the notice :)

isny

napkin dispenser

Canada Post has slowed down a ton already leading up to Christmas. Stuff that's normally next day is taking 2-5 business days for me now.

Leeness

So...I'm thinking of getting a new tv soon. I guess I should wait for Boxing Day sales right now.

Can anyone help me with the tech v. price? I don't know much, but I want a good TV, probably 40" or around there, for somewhere in $600-800.

I have an old 32" toshiba right now and it hurts my eyes when playing some PS3 games (GTAV for example, has the tiniest text ever).

krae_man

So...I'm thinking of getting a new tv soon. I guess I should wait for Boxing Day sales right now.

Can anyone help me with the tech v. price? I don't know much, but I want a good TV, probably 40" or around there, for somewhere in $600-800.

I have an old 32" toshiba right now and it hurts my eyes when playing some PS3 games (GTAV for example, has the tiniest text ever).

At a quick glance, this is probably the best 40" based on cnet reviews. Although all TV's in that price range are filled with reviews that have nothing but complaints. Just pick one with the strong points that are more important to you. Do you care about 120hz? Do you want a Smart TV? Are blacks important? Do you have a sound system so speaker quality is meaningless? etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference between 40" and 46" So look at 46" sets too.

Leeness

At a quick glance, this is probably the best 40" based on cnet reviews. Although all TV's in that price range are filled with reviews that have nothing but complaints. Just pick one with the strong points that are more important to you. Do you care about 120hz? Do you want a Smart TV? Are blacks important? Do you have a sound system so speaker quality is meaningless? etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference between 40" and 46" So look at 46" sets too.

What does 120hz do? :D

Smart... Eh. If it's ~smart~ great, if not, I won't cry.

I don't really know about blacks, and sound, I don't have a system but I can always grab one or use headphones.

Are Samsungs kind of the top quality right now?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I don't really know about blacks, and sound, I don't have a system but I can always grab one or use headphones.

My dad used to work pretty high up in a company NOT Samsung..... and he says Samsungs are probably universally the best brand. So yeah. Can't really go wrong with Samsung. :p

krae_man

For LED? I guess although Sony TV's tend to get rave reviews except for price. In any event, "Who has the best TV" is not really important in your case, it's "Who has the best TV in my price range?".

One brand might have the most featuers(hz, 3d, smart etc), one could have the best blacks, one could have more inputs, one could have the best picture quality.

You're in the middle ground. You're above the entry level crap, but below the upper mid range stuff($1000-$1300 range).

I guess you should check out some TV's in that $1000+ price range and see if any of them go sub $800 on boxing day.

Leeness

Hmm. Okay, so kind of keep an eye on Samsungs anywhere from $650 to $1000 and see what happens Boxing Day. Sounds good to me!

Thanks guys :)

Tuck

Ugh shitty, the used game was in bad shape? What exactly was the issue?

Nintendoland - Disc is fine, but the plastic on the case as all warped.

It bugged me, so i bought a new one from Nintendo. 5 bucks. Ugh. Still cheaper than having bought in a different circumstance, but significantly less so.

Also, unfortunately, Futureshop puts a sticker on every used game case that can't be removed with ease.

Tbh, I won't buy used from them again - Ill stick to amazon, where its more clear the condition of the product you are getting.

Now if only my 1tb hdd for my PS4 from FS could be picked up by the Canada post. I mean shit the electronic information was submitted by the shipper(FS) on the 4th, and still nothing >_>

Got my Shop.ca PS4 shipping notice. It says it'll arrive Dec 12th, which I'd be fine with. Unfortunately it's being sent to an address I won't be at until the 20th so I won't be able to verify if all's well. But here's hoping!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does EB still have the "trade in any ps4 game for 40.-" promo? I don't see it on their website anymore. It was supposed to go on til December 31st...

Only panic if you don't get the ship notice by the 9th. Wasn't in the office yesterday but from what I know of the last ps4 shipments, they started shipping before they were marked as shipped. The supplier should be marking them as shipped but for whatever reason their process lags behind the actual time the item ships. For example, I ordered AC4 on a Sunday night, it arrived Tuesday, but I didn't get the ship notice till Wednesday.

Edit: good to see you got the notice :)

Any idea why you guys wouldnt have replied to my emails yet?

Dunlop

Any idea why you guys wouldnt have replied to my emails yet?

I get the feeling that they are very understaffed on a good day and the Swiss Chalet blunder made this exponentially worse.

Happy for the rebates, would still use again but there is something wrong when support tickets are being answered on Facebook and taking weeks on the actual shop.ca site.

Top Bottom