• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

soultron

Banned
If you're in a big city, and don't really ever see yourself not being in a big city, Wind tends to be the best value. But be warned, it's overage is pretty limited.

As someone on Wind, I'll second this. I've had no qualms aside from coverage being spotty outside of major cities. I've used it during my time living in both Hamilton and Toronto and coverage in the city is excellent, for the most part.

Holy shit. iPhone 5S 16gb models are $99 now on two year contracts at BB. I paid $229 like a chump on day 1 at Rogers. Never imagined this steep a drop so fast.
You sure? I don't see it anywhere advertised on the bestbuy website.

Tempted by it since its 2 years to just trade in my iphone 4 and just add a 5$ feature to my 65$ student 6gb plan

Lexxism

If you're in a big city, and don't really ever see yourself not being in a big city, Wind tends to be the best value. But be warned, it's overage is pretty limited.

As someone on Wind, I'll second this. I've had no qualms aside from coverage being spotty outside of major cities. I've used it during my time living in both Hamilton and Toronto and coverage in the city is excellent, for the most part.

Yeah, that's what my friend told me. How about Koodo? I heard it's also a good carrier. Any impression?

Darko

shop.ca support is terrible.. i made a return request on the 14th of novemeber and they didnt reply to the email until today...

balohna

Yeah, that's what my friend told me. How about Koodo? I heard it's also a good carrier. Any impression?

I'm on Koodo. Their plans aren't as amazing as Wind or Mobilicity, but their coverage is good and you can get a cheap phone without locking in to a contract. Rates are reasonable. I don't get much data, but my bill is $35 a month and I have everything I need. Considering Wind and Mobilicity customers may have to pay $400+ for a phone, I feel like my $0 phone helped make up the difference in monthly costs. For example, I know a guy on Mobilicity that gets unlimited everything for $30 but he paid $800 for his phone. It's a nicer phone than mine, but I mostly just use mine for calls and texts and watching YouTube in bed so I'm good.

shop.ca support is terrible.. i made a return request on the 14th of novemeber and they didnt reply to the email until today...

Sounds about right...

It took 3 emails and 4 phone calls (one to a manager) to finally get my copy of Ghosts shipped... It was listed as in stock 2 weeks before the Xbone launch, and arrived AFTER the system was released.

Never again...

Sounds about right...

It took 3 emails and 4 phone calls (one to a manager) to finally get my copy of Ghosts shipped... It was listed as in stock 2 weeks before the Xbone launch, and arrived AFTER the system was released.

Never again...

I'll take this opportunity to further bitch about them and me waiting to get my money back :p

Good sales are how you get people in, but good customer service is how you actually keep them there. I'll never touch the site again, I'd rather just pay a little more to a company that can function correctly.

Lexxism

I'm on Koodo. Their plans aren't as amazing as Wind or Mobilicity, but their coverage is good and you can get a cheap phone without locking in to a contract. Rates are reasonable. I don't get much data, but my bill is $35 a month and I have everything I need. Considering Wind and Mobilicity customers may have to pay $400+ for a phone, I feel like my $0 phone helped make up the difference in monthly costs. For example, I know a guy on Mobilicity that gets unlimited everything for $30 but he paid $800 for his phone. It's a nicer phone than mine, but I mostly just use mine for calls and texts and watching YouTube in bed so I'm good.

I tried checking their site(Wind), it seems like I can get a phone for $250 with $40 plan. Which is pretty nice, though, I was wondering how is the coverage in GTA? I assume it's pretty decent?

Also, for those people who bought from google. Do they charge custom tax? I'm probably planning to buy a phone from then use like 10% discount from Koodo or was it Wind.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My PS4 just arrived. It is just in a box with no padding, but the box itself was just big enough to hold the PS4 box so I don't think it would have rattled around. Looks fine so far.

Now if only Ubisoft would give me my game. :(
(No one happens to have a spare season pass code they don't want, do they? lol)

-Deimos

I second Koodo. Wait for the holiday plans.
My PS4 just arrived. It is just in a box with no padding, but the box itself was just big enough to hold the PS4 box so I don't think it would have rattled around. Looks fine so far.

I was wondering how they got killzone to fit when it arrived.

Did you get the 10$ credit from sony with the trials? because I didn't? and there is no playstation sticker on the top of the box(when you open it) just scotch tape

edit: nvm got the codes,!!!

What you guys can recommend a phone carrier? Koodo? Virgin? Wind?

Koodo is really very good, straight forward carrier, no hidden fees no BS, very good coverage and LTE speeds like I can easily get 30 Mbps, I think this might still have their double data offer which will make their plans better,not as before but still good value!
Their tab system is good too, totally recommend them!

Cheerilee

Basically, Bell/Telus/Rogers are the "big three" in Canada. They barely compete with each other, and it's believed that they actually conspire to try and take all of your money (because that's easier than fighting over it). Their networks are all solid. Some people say that company X has better/worse signal/price/customer service, but they're basically just the same.

Wind and Mobilicity are the new upstarts, and their prices can't be beat, but their networks are weak and they're basically confined to Vancouver/Toronto. The big three want them dead, and Mobilicity is already doomed, so if you're considering one of them, go with Wind. Also, you will pay more for the phone.

Koodo/Fido/Virgin are the "fake competition". Koodo = Telus, Fido = Rogers, and Virgin = Bell. You can get all of the benefits of a powerful network from these guys, with a lower price (although not quite as low as Wind).

So basically, if Wind works in your area, and if you want the lowest possible price, and you're willing to put up with some weak/spotty signal, and maybe if you like rooting for the underdog, then you should get Wind. If you would rather pay a bit more for a better/more reliable signal (and have that increased price offset a little by a cheaper phone), then you should go with Koodo/Fido/Virgin.

Edit: BTW, Telus has a reputation for being the "least evil" of the big three (with Bell being the "most evil"), and I've heard people say that Koodo is the best of the fake-three.

balohna

I tried checking their site(Wind), it seems like I can get a phone for $250 with $40 plan. Which is pretty nice, though, I was wondering how is the coverage in GTA? I assume it's pretty decent?

Also, for those people who bought from google. Do they charge custom tax? I'm probably planning to buy a phone from then use like 10% discount from Koodo or was it Wind.

Couldn't tell you, I'm in BC. But they're on the Telus network, so should be the same as Telus.

Luigi87

I'm stuck in a Bell contract until October, but I really want to switch (thinking Koodo would be my best bet, since data is what I care about most, and they are offering 2GB right now at 60/mo, on LTE)...

I thinking paying out my contract with Bell right now would be around $200 (though I suppose maybe I could put it on hold and ride out the contract, but then I'd be sacrificing my phone number that I love that I've had for seven years now).
Edit: Seems putting a contract on hold now extends it by the hold amount?

kaiyo

Same for me, but the shop.ca one is wrapped around the box with nothing at all!

The one I got at launch had air bags. Shop.ca isnt the one sending these items out, its filled by 3rd party merchants. I believe the launched PS4s were fulfilled by Sony.

@ppl complaining about shop.ca support

shop.ca support was quick for me. Back in Oct they had live chat support. They removed that in early November(?). As I had to email them in Nov. but got a reply several days later. You best bet to a quick reply is to message them on facebook/twitter.

How's everyone's Shop.ca PS4's? They working?

good so far.
Just that mine doesn't beep twice when it goes to safe mode.
I get the normal beep that you get when u turn it on, then i wait to get get the 2nd beep and bom safe mode.
I remember on my other PS4 it was another beep after that 2nd one for safe mode to start.
so iono if I should be worried

Rayman Legends. $19.83 at Walmart. Scanned on X360 and WiiU, but I did notice that the Vita one was also on the shelf, assumed it was the same deal.

KLonso

I've been with Wind, an I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely cheaper than the other options. Just note that coverage is a bit spotty, (and I live in Toronto). There have been times where I have full connection in one place, and absolutely none just a few blocks down the road

I have 15$ left on my paypal only lol need requests. Willing 2 buy anything :p
Hotline Miami on Steam? Only $2.50 right now.

Saterium

Anyone know any services I can use to get something off woot.com (only ships to American addresses), those headphones today are really tempting...

DJ_Lae

I'd avoid anything Bell, first off (so Virgin is also out). You'd probably end up that route anyway as when I've priced plans the last couple of years Bell is consistently the most expensive.

I find Telus has the best non-metro coverage. Whenever we visit family they all have good service with Telus, and we (I'm with Wind and my wife uses Fido) get poor to absolute shit reception.

Koodo seems a moderately better bet as you get Telus' network with cheaper prices. Fido is pretty good as well, they're just Rogers' cheaper arm.

I'm torn on Wind at the moment. I've kept it because I'm cheap, and because I use a lot of data browsing to and from work on the bus every day. However, the coverage even within Edmonton is spotty, data is a bit slow, and roaming fees range from an inconvenience to ridiculous whenever I exit one of the metro areas that has coverage. It's to the point where I'm really torn between saving money and having good service, and will probably end up switching come the new year.

i-Jest

good so far.
Just that mine doesn't beep twice when it goes to safe mode.
I get the normal beep that you get when u turn it on, then i wait to get get the 2nd beep and bom safe mode.
I remember on my other PS4 it was another beep after that 2nd one for safe mode to start.
so iono if I should be worried

As long as it doesn't brick your in the clean as far as I'm concerned. I haven't booted up mine yet.

I'd avoid anything Bell, first off (so Virgin is also out). You'd probably end up that route anyway as when I've priced plans the last couple of years Bell is consistently the most expensive.

I find Telus has the best non-metro coverage. Whenever we visit family they all have good service with Telus, and we (I'm with Wind and my wife uses Fido) get poor to absolute shit reception.

Koodo seems a moderately better bet as you get Telus' network with cheaper prices. Fido is pretty good as well, they're just Rogers' cheaper arm.

I'm torn on Wind at the moment. I've kept it because I'm cheap, and because I use a lot of data browsing to and from work on the bus every day. However, the coverage even within Edmonton is spotty, data is a bit slow, and roaming fees range from an inconvenience to ridiculous whenever I exit one of the metro areas that has coverage. It's to the point where I'm really torn between saving money and having good service, and will probably end up switching come the new year.

Those thoughts echo mine as well...although, I'll say that my friends who are signed up with Bell have a good plan, but apparently their only good plans are couples plans.

I'm with Wind as well, and the coverage has a lot of strange dead zones, along with spotty/slow data connections. The only good thing is that it's cheap, and that the plans include almost everything under the sun. Wind gives 5+GBs worth of data, while all the other providers only give a paltry amount for the same price. I'm debating switching as well at this point, but I'm not sure what plan would be good for me.

Edit: Seems putting a contract on hold now extends it by the hold amount?

If you pay full price for a suspended line your contact continues to run out. If you pay the 15 dollar customer requested suspension your contract gets extended however long the suspension lasts.

Gibbles17

Basically, Bell/Telus/Rogers are the "big three" in Canada. They barely compete with each other, and it's believed that they actually conspire to try and take all of your money (because that's easier than fighting over it). Their networks are all solid. Some people say that company X has better/worse signal/price/customer service, but they're basically just the same.

Wind and Mobilicity are the new upstarts, and their prices can't be beat, but their networks are weak and they're basically confined to Vancouver/Toronto. The big three want them dead, and Mobilicity is already doomed, so if you're considering one of them, go with Wind. Also, you will pay more for the phone.

Koodo/Fido/Virgin are the "fake competition". Koodo = Telus, Fido = Rogers, and Virgin = Bell. You can get all of the benefits of a powerful network from these guys, with a lower price (although not quite as low as Wind).

So basically, if Wind works in your area, and if you want the lowest possible price, and you're willing to put up with some weak/spotty signal, and maybe if you like rooting for the underdog, then you should get Wind. If you would rather pay a bit more for a better/more reliable signal (and have that increased price offset a little by a cheaper phone), then you should go with Koodo/Fido/Virgin.

Edit: BTW, Telus has a reputation for being the "least evil" of the big three (with Bell being the "most evil"), and I've heard people say that Koodo is the best of the fake-three.

This is pretty spot on. Of the big three, Telus is also the only one to have had an overall decrease this year in customer complaints according to the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services:

http://business.financialpost.com/2...ardly-complain-about-service/?__lsa=e784-b24d

I've never had a problem with them, though Rogers was also solid for the most part. Never rolled with Bell though anecdotally, they seem to be the worst.

Nakho

So, guys, I need to buy a new graphics card and I want it to be the best under $600. Right now I'm leaning towards the EVGA GTX 780.

Where would be the best place to buy it? Any better graphics card (doesn't really belong here, but couldn't hurt to ask)? Should I wait until Boxing Day for some deals? Got here only a couple months ago, thank you for your help!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, you might as well wait for boxing day and keep an eye on ncix.ca, memoryexpress.ca, and tigerdirect.ca for deals unless you really need the card now.

Missed Ni No Kuni $10 sale at Amazon.ca and I'm still debating buying it on PSN or waiting for another retail sale!
The $9.** price on PSN will expire later today though!

Top Bottom