• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

QaaQer

So, guys, I need to buy a new graphics card and I want it to be the best under $600. Right now I'm leaning towards the EVGA GTX 780.

Where would be the best place to buy it? Any better graphics card (doesn't really belong here, but couldn't hurt to ask)? Should I wait until Boxing Day for some deals? Got here only a couple months ago, thank you for your help!

used on ebay when the 780tis come out and people start upgrading. look for EVGA because their warranties follow the card, so you don't have to do anything to get the warranty. Just ask the seller before purchase for serial #, go to evga site, type it in and see how long the warranty has left.

Firestorm

So, guys, I need to buy a new graphics card and I want it to be the best under $600. Right now I'm leaning towards the EVGA GTX 780.

Where would be the best place to buy it? Any better graphics card (doesn't really belong here, but couldn't hurt to ask)? Should I wait until Boxing Day for some deals? Got here only a couple months ago, thank you for your help!
Any reason $600 is your price point? I think you're going to see very diminishing returns after ~$300. Getting a $300 card now and upgrading to another $300 card in 3 years will keep you a lot happier than a $600 card that can't do whatever fancy new features in 3 years and barely does better graphics for the first year IMO.

I usually do a search on pricebat.ca and price match the lowest price for pickup at Memory Express or NCIX.

Any reason $600 is your price point? I think you're going to see very diminishing returns after ~$300. Getting a $300 card now and upgrading to another $300 card in 3 years will keep you a lot happier than a $600 card that can't do whatever fancy new features in 3 years and barely does better graphics for the first year IMO.
That's a very personal decision to make. Everyone has different tolerances for price/budget and what performance they expect to get when running games. You always have the option of getting the same card a few years down the line to run SLI/CrossFire at a lower price instead of just tossing the old one out entirely.

jred2k

My local Walmart has PS4s back in stock. Not sure what that means for other locations, but it might be worth checking for anyone still trying to get one.

Lexxism

koodo's voice quality is pretty good. I'm happy with it.

oh, and fuck Bell.

Koodo is really very good, straight forward carrier, no hidden fees no BS, very good coverage and LTE speeds like I can easily get 30 Mbps, I think this might still have their double data offer which will make their plans better,not as before but still good value!
Their tab system is good too, totally recommend them!

Basically, Bell/Telus/Rogers are the "big three" in Canada. They barely compete with each other, and it's believed that they actually conspire to try and take all of your money (because that's easier than fighting over it). Their networks are all solid. Some people say that company X has better/worse signal/price/customer service, but they're basically just the same.

Wind and Mobilicity are the new upstarts, and their prices can't be beat, but their networks are weak and they're basically confined to Vancouver/Toronto. The big three want them dead, and Mobilicity is already doomed, so if you're considering one of them, go with Wind. Also, you will pay more for the phone.

Koodo/Fido/Virgin are the "fake competition". Koodo = Telus, Fido = Rogers, and Virgin = Bell. You can get all of the benefits of a powerful network from these guys, with a lower price (although not quite as low as Wind).

So basically, if Wind works in your area, and if you want the lowest possible price, and you're willing to put up with some weak/spotty signal, and maybe if you like rooting for the underdog, then you should get Wind. If you would rather pay a bit more for a better/more reliable signal (and have that increased price offset a little by a cheaper phone), then you should go with Koodo/Fido/Virgin.

Edit: BTW, Telus has a reputation for being the "least evil" of the big three (with Bell being the "most evil"), and I've heard people say that Koodo is the best of the fake-three.

Couldn't tell you, I'm in BC. But they're on the Telus network, so should be the same as Telus.

I've been with Wind, an I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely cheaper than the other options. Just note that coverage is a bit spotty, (and I live in Toronto). There have been times where I have full connection in one place, and absolutely none just a few blocks down the road

I'd avoid anything Bell, first off (so Virgin is also out). You'd probably end up that route anyway as when I've priced plans the last couple of years Bell is consistently the most expensive.

I find Telus has the best non-metro coverage. Whenever we visit family they all have good service with Telus, and we (I'm with Wind and my wife uses Fido) get poor to absolute shit reception.

Koodo seems a moderately better bet as you get Telus' network with cheaper prices. Fido is pretty good as well, they're just Rogers' cheaper arm.

I'm torn on Wind at the moment. I've kept it because I'm cheap, and because I use a lot of data browsing to and from work on the bus every day. However, the coverage even within Edmonton is spotty, data is a bit slow, and roaming fees range from an inconvenience to ridiculous whenever I exit one of the metro areas that has coverage. It's to the point where I'm really torn between saving money and having good service, and will probably end up switching come the new year.

Thanks for the answers. I'm leaning towards Koodo or Fido. My dad is currently on Fido and I can get a 10% off in the second line plus the 10% off if you bring your own phone. That's basically 20% off Fido vs 10% off Koodo. I guess I'll probably just wait for a better deal for either of the two next year.

Gibbles17

Just got a few Future Shop gift cards from work. Looking to snag a PS4 online since Edmonton has been dry since launch.

Any of you folks ordered one of these bad boys online? Wondering about shipping/delivery time and the condition of the box once it arrives. I hear FS is usually pretty solid with online orders, hoping you guys can vouch :).

Also anyone know if you can use multiple gift cards for a single online purchase?

Just got a few Future Shop gift cards from work. Looking to snag a PS4 online since Edmonton has been dry since launch.

Any of you folks ordered one of these bad boys online? Wondering about shipping/delivery time and the condition of the box once it arrives. I hear FS is usually pretty solid with online orders, hoping you guys can vouch :).

Also anyone know if you can use multiple gift cards for a single online purchase?

Other than them not getting it to me by launch, their delivery was fine. Large box, packed with paper seemed to keep it in good condition. Not that I tried mine out to see if it worked. I returned it since I had picked up my PS4 from my other pre-order at EB.

suikodan

YMMV but Gaffers in Quebec should be able to pick up Rayman Legends PSVita for 19.99$ and PM it at BestBuy.

Read that on RFD and got my wife to pick one up for me :D

I ordered mine from Future shop, to Edmonton as well. Like the other poster said, other than not getting it at launch (It arrived the Wednesday after launch, after a lot of pestering them since it was in Edmonton on Monday), it was packed well and worked perfectly. The box was undamaged as well. I don't really think its Futureshops fault for the late shipping, it was more Canada Posts fault, but that was enough to keep me from ordering online from them in the future. But if you're looking to use Futureshop gift cards, then you really have no choice.

Lexxism

cbRC9v2.jpg

8CMkbyi.jpg

O0h5GET.jpg

Dec 14th to Dec 20th. Also, it seems there's a $20 off coupon from SDM. I can't find the coupon though.

PS. Walmart has the 3DS XL for $159 till Dec 12th.

Dunlop

Does anyone know where to find The Last of Us for anything under the $59.99 price tag? It never seems to price drop anywhere.
Bad timing, I got my copy at Pharmaprix(Shoppers Drug Mart) for $15 2 weeks ago, they were going insane on some of their game prices

Omw home and can finally install my ps4 from shop.ca. fingers crossed

Nakho

I usually do a search on pricebat.ca and price match the lowest price for pickup at Memory Express or NCIX.

$600 is my budget because I can't spend anymore on it and my goal is to play The Witcher 3 on Ultra, 1080p, 60FPS, etc, so I don't think a $300 dollar would be able to achieve that.

I know the specs for it aren't out yet, but I can only buy a graphics card around this time of the year for some reasons, so I would like to meet that goal with a current graphics card (otherwise I think I would wait for the new Nvidia batch)

The main reason of my question is to know if the deals are so good during Boxing Day that would make me want to wait, or if they are meh (like $20 or some bundled game) and I should buy it now anyway.

I didn't want to dig in this thread to quote, but I can confirm that Rayman legends is ringing up as $19.83 at Wal Mart.

I had them ring up all console versions, Vita had none in stock, but the console ones all came up as $19.83. I picked up the Wii u version.

Woo!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Should i get pokemon, albw or fire emblem i dont know halp pls ;_;

They're all fantastic games and among the best games of this year. Go with whichever one is cheapest. If prices are the same, go wit Fire Emblem: Awakening (best game of 2013) but you should buy them all eventually.

Top Bottom