• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Do you get the free movie pass with each order? So if you're ordering multiple things would it be better to do multiple orders for multiple passes?

Also I have no idea what SCENE is.

I just want to pick up all the Ghibli films.

Separate orders with a $15 movie each to get a pass with each one!

Cactus

Banned
Do you get the free movie pass with each order? So if you're ordering multiple things would it be better to do multiple orders for multiple passes?

Also I have no idea what SCENE is.

I just want to pick up all the Ghibli films.
Making multiple orders is the best way to go. You'll get a movie pass as long as one movie in your order is at least $14.99.

frequency

Thanks for the answers. I have like 14 things to get.

It's unfortunate I'm missing out on $14.99 to $15.99 but even the $18.49 for the Blu Rays seems like a great deal to me - especially with a movie pass.

It looks like SCENE is free to join. So maybe I should do that first.

kennah

For anyone in PC-GAF, do you think it will really pay off to wait for boxing week deals this year? I'm hoping to build a decent-ish <$1000 gaming rig over the break. My main interests are CSGO and game development stuff (I do 3D modelling, Unity stuff, etc.) so it doesn't need to be a graphics-focused beast. If anything I'd like to focus on a fast CPU and 8GB RAM than an amazing GPU.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Usually the only things that go on big sale are things that try have trouble selling the rest f the year. I really doubt you'd find a deal on a good cpu or gpu. You are more likely to find a good deal on RAM or an SSD.

DJ_Lae

Cineplex`s site is awful.

Sword in the Stone is the only Disney blu-ray we don`t have, but they have two listings. By UPC, one of the blu-rays is French. The other, and I searched the UPC on Amazon, is the regular English version, but on Cineplex it`s tagged DVD.

Pictures are all wrong too but that`s to be expected. Not sure if I should just order the incorrectly marked DVD one and hope it`s actually the bluray like the UPC suggests.

Roto13

Thanks for the answers. I have like 14 things to get.

It's unfortunate I'm missing out on $14.99 to $15.99 but even the $18.49 for the Blu Rays seems like a great deal to me - especially with a movie pass.

It looks like SCENE is free to join. So maybe I should do that first.

If you regularly go to movies at Cineplex, you should have a Scene account anyway. :p IT's pretty nifty.

Usually the only things that go on big sale are things that try have trouble selling the rest f the year. I really doubt you'd find a deal on a good cpu or gpu. You are more likely to find a good deal on RAM or an SSD.

Eh, I dunno. i5 3570k went on sale at a bunch of places last year and that was a pretty good CPU. Also some i7 deals, though the problem with those is the motherboards are hella expensive. Still, though.

Best bet is to keep an eye on Canada Computers, NCIX and Memory Express. TigerDirect and Newegg are okay, and sometimes they'll have one or two great deals (especially if you can go to a store in the case of TigerDirect) but CC/NCIX/ME are top-tier.

Roto13

All the other deals on walmart are live, seems like it's on the 26th only.

Urrrrrrrgh

I might as well just buy it from Best Buy on Boxing Day in that case. Order it and Wind Waker at the same time. (Wind Waker is $30 at Best Buy on Boxing Day, right? Or was that only Future Shop?)

frequency

If you regularly go to movies at Cineplex, you should have a Scene account anyway. :p IT's pretty nifty.

I don't go that often.

But if I'm going to be getting 14 passes, that will probably change.

Though I have to wonder if they would look at these 14 orders and decide they're not going to be sending me 14 passes just because I split them all up like that to take advantage of the deal.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Cineplex`s site is awful.

Sword in the Stone is the only Disney blu-ray we don`t have, but they have two listings. By UPC, one of the blu-rays is French. The other, and I searched the UPC on Amazon, is the regular English version, but on Cineplex it`s tagged DVD.

Pictures are all wrong too but that`s to be expected. Not sure if I should just order the incorrectly marked DVD one and hope it`s actually the bluray like the UPC suggests.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably order all Toy Stories, Up, Howl's Moving Castle, and maybe Porco Rosso.

Yep, and a 1000 scene points is a free movie, that is free everything, IMAX, IMAX3D, UltraAVX regular and 3D, etc...

Damn, last time I gave my scene card to my parents so that they could rack up some points they used it to get a free ticket. Feels bad man, would have loved to go watch Gravity in 3D with that one.

DJ_Lae

Ordered two more movies - Who Framed Roger Rabbit ($9) and From up on Poppy Hill. Couldn't resist.

Will see when they arrive. Fast 6 didn't take too long to come past its release date so who knows.

frequency

I just watched a Canada Post employee come to my house with a package (my Club Nintendo Platinum reward) and a letter mail.

He walked up to my fence, tossed the 2 things over it onto the snow covered ground (it's still snowing outside) and then walked off. The fence is nowhere near my door.

I hope Canada Post stops existing.

Ondore

Is there any way I'd be able to price match the $15 Mario Kart 7 from Target on Boxing Day or am I SOL? Target is so far ._.

If you're very lucky, you'll find a store that will price match on Boxing Day. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Phantom edit: EB Games has updated, but the main thing I checked (Deus Ex) is unavailable online. Probably staying that way until Boxing Day proper.

ohlawd

I just watched a Canada Post employee come to my house with a package (my Club Nintendo Platinum reward) and a letter mail.

He walked up to my fence, tossed the 2 things over it onto the snow covered ground (it's still snowing outside) and then walked off. The fence is nowhere near my door.

lmao. Worst thing they've done to me is leave my giant poster sets in my mailbox for everyone to see.

If you're very lucky, you'll find a store that will price match on Boxing Day. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Phantom edit: EB Games has updated, but the main thing I checked (Deus Ex) is unavailable online. Probably staying that way until Boxing Day proper.
So it might be worth the effort to stay up at midnight for EB's site? All I want is Deus Ex too.

zeitgeist

So what is everyone going after for Boxing Day?

I'll be picking up a PS+ sub from Wal Mart ($30), Sonic Lost World for WiiU at EB ($30) and Mario and Luigi Dream Team at Target ($15).

Want Super Mario 3D World. I was going to brave Target when they open but I think the 5 dollar difference from Futureshop is worth getting up early/going to a store on Boxing Day.

ph00p

Banned

That man literally won't have a job in a few years, there was a huge news story how they're killing off the door to door carriers, you'll have to get packages at a local pickup place.

Roto13

That man literally won't have a job in a few years, there was a huge news story how they're killing off the door to door carriers, you'll have to get packages at a local pickup place.

Considering they never bother to even ring my buzzer, nothing will change for me.

Actually, I say that, but right now my buzzer is broken, and two of the three packages I've gotten recently were still delivered to my door, so credit where credit is due, I guess. It's like a Christmas miracle.

anaron

No, you don't.

But shitty of that one dude to do that.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The walmart.ca boxing week deals suck.

I think I'll pick up LOZ:WW HD on boxing day. definitely not worth $50 IMO, but for $30? Hell ya

I'll pick up W101 as well if it's cheap.

Takuan

I think I went overboard on the Cineplex sale...

$237.70 for a site I never knew about before now.

Hahaha, that's exactly why I stopped at my 2 purchases. When you start looking for things to buy just for the sake of buying, that's when you know to stop. But if these were movies you wanted all along, then that's money very well spent.

soultron

Banned

Eh, I dunno. i5 3570k went on sale at a bunch of places last year and that was a pretty good CPU. Also some i7 deals, though the problem with those is the motherboards are hella expensive. Still, though.

Best bet is to keep an eye on Canada Computers, NCIX and Memory Express. TigerDirect and Newegg are okay, and sometimes they'll have one or two great deals (especially if you can go to a store in the case of TigerDirect) but CC/NCIX/ME are top-tier.

Cool, thanks for the responses on this! I'll keep an eye on the sites listed using PC Part Picker. Hoping for an i5 sale at the very least. I'm not going too high end on the GPU so I won't be spending that much there. If RAM and SSDs are on sale, that's a bonus since I want to grab some good stuff in those categories.

IndustryX

Will I be able to order mk7 for the sale price of 15$ online? No targets nearby and the only other thing I'm interested in is the Ps plus deal.

kennah

Cool, thanks for the responses on this! I'll keep an eye on the sites listed using PC Part Picker. Hoping for an i5 sale at the very least. I'm not going too high end on the GPU so I won't be spending that much there. If RAM and SSDs are on sale, that's a bonus since I want to grab some good stuff in those categories.

Don't grab just anything because it's on sale. Make sure that you're getting something quality. Keep an eye on the Samsung, Crucial and Kingston SSDs. No matter how tempting the deal, DO NOT BUY OCZ. There is no guarantee that you'll be able to warranty them in the next year. RAM doesn't matter really as long as you get something that is 1.5V or 1.35V (DO NOT buy 1.6V) and low profile.

As for an i5 deal. Good luck. And the motherboards aren't all that much more expensive. You can get a good Z87 for under $150 taxes and delivery in. (And make sure that your sockets are compatible if you do jump on something. Z77 with Socket 1155 (3xxx series CPU) and Z87 is Socket 1150 (4xxx series cpu). Don't buy AMD, you're better off waiting and saving up longer.

soultron

Banned
Thanks for the advice!

Was thinking of going with a Samsung SSD because you and others have said good things. Kingston is another well-regarded SSD manufacturer.

Thinking of doing Corsair or G.Skill for RAM.

EVGA for GPU since their warranty and performance seem great.

Mobo will depend, but I'll take your recommendation to heart. I've had ASUS boards in the past and really liked them.

Firestorm

Most of my points are earned on Tuesdays and then I always save it for when I'm going to watch something at least $17.99 =P I just bought Les Miserables and Wolverine downloads on the Cineplex site for 1000 Scene Points each. Like saving 50% on an IMAX 3D or 3D AVX movie.

Most of my points are earned on Tuesdays and then I always save it for when I'm going to watch something at least $17.99 =P I just bought Les Miserables and Wolverine downloads on the Cineplex site for 1000 Scene Points each. Like saving 50% on an IMAX 3D or 3D AVX movie.

So if you buy a digital movie, how are you supposed to watch it?
Only through UV on PC? cause I usually watch digital my purchases on Apple TV through iTunes and never used UV before!

Top Bottom