• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Holy fuck guys. The Cineplex sale? THEY HAVE CRITERION DISCS. 50% OFF CRITERION DISCS!!!!!

The only thing that's stupid is that you seem to need to make separate orders in order to get the free movie ticket.

Sweet crap, this just turned into THE boxing day deal of the year. Just picked up 12 Angry Men, Seventh Seal, The Great Dictator, and Thin Red Line for $20 each (plus 4 free movie tix).

Thanks so much for pointing this out!

Sora_N

Battle of Algiers, Tokyo Story, Seven Samurai, Thin Red Line. They don't seem to have ones from European directors. lol

They also have Samsara, which is an "8k master". Yeah, that's marketing garbage, but the fact is that it looks great either way.

So tempted to buy Seven Samurai. I probably will...

Takuan

Sweet crap, this just turned into THE boxing day deal of the year. Just picked up 12 Angry Men, Seventh Seal, The Great Dictator, and Thin Red Line for $20 each (plus 4 free movie tix).

Unfortunately (but understandably) they're lacking the more recent foreign titles. I would've bought Carlos and probably Che. I wound up making two orders, the second of which didn't even qualify for the promo, but past that I would've been buying movies just for the sake of getting the voucher.

Definitely a great sale for those looking to flesh out their collections. If I were a film geek, I'd probably be losing my shit.

lupinko

Thinking about purchasing a PS3, but not really loving the 12GB model is there any deals for other models with decent memory.

You could just get the 12GB model and get the mounting brackett with a laptop drive of your choice. Or you can get that Last of Us bundle which I think comes with a 500GB hdd.

Sora_N

Ugh how long does Canada Post hold packages?

I had a delivery on the 17th and I haven't had a chance to go to the post office at all. Was it 2 weeks?

I think I can probably go on Friday/Saturday.

Yeah but three years ago we had Rogers 2 for $40 so that looked terrible in comparison :( I think I prefer save 33% off every new release by pre-ordering over save 50% off used games anyway. Especially when new releases come with DLC that sells for so much (still can't believe I sold all digital crap that came with my Day 1 $40 Halo 4 for $70 and then traded in the game itself for $40 after I was done with it).

Yeah, but Rogers is done for good, I remember that as well, good while it lasted, but just a distant memory... I filled up on Wii and 360 games back in the day :D

for the 33% off new pre-orders, you're referring to Future Shop's June sales for E3? Otherwise please fill me in!

Anony

so i'm looking at spending those 30$ credit from the FExSMT promo on the eshop
it's asking me my region to factor in tax and i searched the provinces taxes
how bad is it if i put in alberta (i am in ontario), it's 5% there

lupinko

It's not bad at all, I live in BC and I use Alberta for the eshop.

FrsDvl

Pretty sure everyone does that.

Are they different from regular Blurays? Or is it just the packaging?

Battle of Algiers, Tokyo Story, Seven Samurai, Thin Red Line. They don't seem to have ones from European directors. lol

They also have Samsara, which is an "8k master". Yeah, that's marketing garbage, but the fact is that it looks great either way.

There do seem to be a couple--Fellini's 8 1/2 is there, as is Truffault's Jules et Jim (DVD only) and The Last Metro, Zazie Dans La Metro, etc. Not nearly as many, though, that's for sure.

I'll throw in Brazil as another Criterion worth your time. And while it's only a DVD set, I'd also highly recommend Ikiru--it's my favourite Kurosawa movie by far. The more expensive one is the Criterion, and contains the usual Criterion extras--commentary, interviews and articles, etc.--while the cheaper one is from Criterion's budget label, Janus, and has just the movie.

Criterion releases are basically special editions curated by Criterion. The company picks out movies they deem historically or culturally relevant and remaster/restore the movie itself, as well as adding a bunch of extra features like commentary (either cast/crew or from reviewers/scholars for many older films), archival footage/interviews, articles and critical analyses, etc. And even if you're not into any of that stuff, there's one other great reason to buy Criterions: no bullshit unskippable trailers or ads or FBI warnings before you even see a Play Movie menu. Criterions are basically the only movie releases I buy anymore.

lupinko

Criterion releases tend to be for film buffs, movie aficionados, videophiles, etc... They are special releases with outstanding restorations/masters for video and audio as well as many extras. They cover old classics to cult films to foreign to even big name releases (iirc Armageddon was Criterion, I dunno how that happened lol). Their releases are always quite pricey as well.

I have Frances Ha and Che from the Criterion BD releases. I'm thinking about getting Broadcast News and Blow Out from this sale.

Sora_N

while it's only a DVD set, I'd also highly recommend Ikiru--it's my favourite Kurosawa movie by far. The more expensive one is the Criterion, and contains the usual Criterion extras--commentary, interviews and articles, etc.--while the cheaper one is from Criterion's budget label, Janus, and has just the movie.

I highly recommend Ikiru too. What are the chances of bluray though?

Yawnier

Banned
Eh, I guess there are a few alright deals in the EB flyer. Lots of the same exact deals from Black Friday but that is to expected at this point I think.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
EB Games Boxing Day flyer released

The 50% off all used games is tasty! especially if there are decent 3DS, Wii U and possible PS4 games.

It's a translation error! In french, it says "buy 1, get 1 at 50% off."

zroid

Banned
Sort of tempted to get DXHR Wii U but I'd have to ship it to a friend and it's kind of a hassle. I feel like, most of the time, Boxing Day deals on games tend to recur after a few months. I'll just wait.

Zing

Banned
EB Games Boxing Day flyer released

http://smartcanucks.ca/eb-games-canada-boxing-day-flyer-boxing-week-sale-december-26-31-2013/

I'll be picking up Sonic Lost World for Wii U for $30, I just fucking bought Deus Ex for Wii U on the eShop and now it's fucking $20 damnit!!!!
I haven't seen Deus Ex in stock at any of my four local EB games, ever. I just checked the store availability, and none within 100km radius have it in stock, and that covers all of toronto.

I was just browsing eBay for used DS games. I guess EB will be the place to go this week.

iiicon

yeah, these Boxing Day deals aren't so hot. I'll probably pick up Lego Marvel for $20, because my nephew wants it and I'd love to play it with him. Deus Ex Wii U is tempting, but I played it for the first time this year and if I want to play it again, it'd be on PC. think I'll just stack up on Blu-Rays and movie tickets.

SVxM

Ugh how long does Canada Post hold packages?

I had a delivery on the 17th and I haven't had a chance to go to the post office at all. Was it 2 weeks?

I think I can probably go on Friday/Saturday.

They should keep it for 10 business days. You should get a final notice in the mail before they send back the package.

I highly recommend Ikiru too. What are the chances of bluray though?

They've been slowly putting out Kurosawa's catalog onto Blu-ray. Throne of Blood and The Hidden Fortress are coming early next year. I think there's a decent chance Ikiru will eventually come to Blu-ray, as it's one of his better known films, but nothing's been announced.

Zing

Banned
so no 3ds or 2ds deals? I'm an idiot for not purchasing one at $90
3DS was just $130 anywhere last week (price match with shoppers drug mart, I bought two). 3DSXL is pretty much $150 for the past month.

I agree with you about the 2DS, though. I thought my daughter would rather have 3D. It turns out she prefers to just play with 3D off. If I could find a 2DS for even $100 now, I'd be happy. Although, an extra $30 for stereo sound, better build, charging dock, and 3D if she wants it is probably worth the money.

Sora_N

They've been slowly putting out Kurosawa's catalog onto Blu-ray. Throne of Blood and The Hidden Fortress are coming early next year. I think there's a decent chance Ikiru will eventually come to Blu-ray, as it's one of his better known films, but nothing's been announced.

I'll hold off then. Cineplex has a similar deal each year anyways.

Top Bottom