• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Dropping into this thread to thank everyone for all their work tracking deals. Arrived back in Ireland with my new Wii U (Skylanders bundle - $200), Mario 3D World ($60), Pikmin 3 ($37), ZombiU ($15), with Nintendoland in the Skylanders bundle. Came to about $350 after tax, I think. That's 250 euros, and let me tell you that there's no way I could ever get that stuff for 250 euros over here in retail stores (or even online), despite our bomba prices.

So thanks, guys. Canada was a brilliant holiday, too. Great country you have over there; lovely people. I'll sing a bit of the anthem whenever I boot up my WiiU, lol.

999 is a tough read due to a lot of sophomoric adjective heavy writing on the bottom screen and a slow moving plot, and I didn't really enjoy it at all.
VLR, on the other hand, is utterly fantastic.

If you struggle with 999 I'd suggest just skipping to VLR. 999 isn't essential to enjoy it at all, and if you're like me 999 might not be worth your time.

Glad everything worked fine for you :)
How did they manage your console exchange?

Lexxism

I just notice that this site is selling Pikmin 3, W101(though this one is sold-out) and NSMBU for just $34.99. They have a 9.99 shipping which kill the deal but don't you think we will be able to PM this at FS/BB? The sale will end today. Thinking of going later and trying my luck.

Dropping into this thread to thank everyone for all their work tracking deals. Arrived back in Ireland with my new Wii U (Skylanders bundle - $200), Mario 3D World ($60), Pikmin 3 ($37), ZombiU ($15), with Nintendoland in the Skylanders bundle. Came to about $350 after tax, I think. That's 250 euros, and let me tell you that there's no way I could ever get that stuff for 250 euros over here in retail stores (or even online), despite our bomba prices.

So thanks, guys. Canada was a brilliant holiday, too. Great country you have over there; lovely people. I'll sing a bit of the anthem whenever I boot up my WiiU, lol.

Nice. Too bad you weren't able to price match the Target's Mario 3D World for $35, you might had been saved more couple of bucks.

Griss

Glad everything worked fine for you :)
How did they manage your console exchange?

Best Buy were amazing with it. Didn't test the console, just replaced it immediately once I told them what was wrong. Didn't matter that I didn't have the original box at all, and the guy at the desk was very quick, competent and friendly.

After my second one didn't work I brought it back and we tested it - it was my TV, it wouldn't handshake with the Wii U's HDMI. They said this was pretty common for pre-2009 TVs or something. Seems terrible to me, but there you go. Got it home to Ireland and it works perfectly, although I have plenty of cross region issues. I was expecting that, though :)

I just notice that this site is selling Pikmin 3, W101(though this one is sold-out) and NSMBU for just $34.99. They have a 9.99 shipping which kill the deal but don't you think we will be able to PM this at FS/BB? The sale will end today. Thinking of going later and trying my luck.

Nice. Too bad you weren't able to price match the Target's Mario 3D World for $35, you might had been saved more couple of bucks.

Pretty sure the Target sale was done by the time I did my shopping. Went into two Targets and they didn't have the game. Was running out of time so I bit the bullet. It's one game I don't mind paying full price for, and frankly I got every other deal that was going. ZombiU for $15 was particularly incredible.

Lexxism

Pretty sure the Target sale was done by the time I did my shopping. Went into two Targets and they didn't have the game. Was running out of time so I bit the bullet. It's one game I don't mind paying full price for, and frankly I got every other deal that was going. ZombiU for $15 was particularly incredible.

I see. Actually even ZombiU went down to $10. You were probably at Ireland already when that happened.

Exr

Just heard about the huge PS2 clearance at Gamestops in the USA, anybody know if our stores are doing this in Vancouver? I'd definitely go to the Metrotown location prepared to clean house if so.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Anyone use Checkout51? Care to comment about it? http://www.checkout51.com/
It used to be better because the $60 grocery bill one was $1 back instead of a chance to win $50. I know a few people who take advantage of the items that are returnable (non-grocery stuff) by buying them, submitting the receipt through the app then returning the item. As long as you don't change your buying habits to buy shit you wouldn't have then it's worth it because there's almost no effort.

Dr.brain64

Does anyone know if the 500gb PS3 has been discontinued? I can't find any online (at a reasonable price). btw is 250$ is a reasonable price for it right?

i-Jest

It used to be better because the $60 grocery bill one was $1 back instead of a chance to win $50. I know a few people who take advantage of the items that are returnable (non-grocery stuff) by buying them, submitting the receipt through the app then returning the item. As long as you don't change your buying habits to buy shit you wouldn't have then it's worth it because there's almost no effort.

Sounds pretty neat.

Magnus

Got my first Cineplex delivery (a day after receiving the email notice that it had shipped). The movie pass shipped with it.

Star Trek TNG 4-movie bluray set for $21. So good. Thanks again to the poster that linked to it on that abominably-bad site.

I was concerned the image quality on this bluray would be marginally better than the DVDs; not so. Looks and sounds phenomenal. Yay! Love these movies.

Anth0ny

I got my CM Punk bluray, Ric Flair DVD set and Spectacular Spider-Man season one from Cineplex. That was really fast considering it was free shipping. Waiting on like... 20 other orders still lol.

Still can't believe that fucking deal O_O

Endy MacK

Has anyone received their Amazon PS+ cards yet? Amazon shows that mine left their facility Dec 26, and Canada Post shows electronic information submitted by shipper as of Dec 27. There are absolutely no updates further to that.

Thanks!

snack

Has anyone received their Amazon PS+ cards yet? Amazon shows that mine left their facility Dec 26, and Canada Post shows electronic information submitted by shipper as of Dec 27. There are absolutely no updates further to that.

Thanks!
I received mine last week.

stolin

Ahhhhhh Amazon.ca uses UPS now?! Hadn't ordered from there forever :(

I had this problem happen to me in early 2013. After complaining, the Amazon.ca support guy told me to change my unit number to a P.O. Box number and they will always use Canada Post.

This trick has worked for me for over a year now..

emgeejay

I had this problem happen to me in early 2013. After complaining, the Amazon.ca support guy told me to change my unit number to a P.O. Box number and they will always use Canada Post.

Just to clarify: I keep everything else the same, and I just call my home mailbox a PO box? I don't need to go out and actually get a PO box?

krae_man

Why is UPS a problem?

Couriers are great for businesses but terrible for residences. You're never going to be home when they deliver, and the pick up locations are nowhere near as close and abundant as Canada Post outlets*

*I have Purolator and UPS a couple blocks from my house. They are actually closer then my nearest Canada post outlet. FedEx unfortunately is not close, but in those cases, I just schedule delivery the next day to work.

DJ_Lae

Finally got my Cineplex and Crumpler orders.

Thankfully going by UPC paid off with Cineplex, as the movies they had tagged as DVDs (Poppy Hill and Sword in the Stone) were blu-rays as Amazon suggested.

And Lebowski was the combo pack as I had hoped.

None of the Disney movies have sleeves, though, which I guess is okay considering the discounts but still disappointing for the anal collector in me.

Couriers are great for businesses but terrible for residences. You're never going to be home when they deliver, and the pick up locations are nowhere near as close and abundant as Canada Post outlets.

I seem to have lucked out here in Edmonton as my UPS orders consistently come around 6pm (with maybe half an hour variation) so I'm always home when they arrive. I know I'm in the minority though.

MDSLKTR

Why is UPS a problem?

What krae_man man said and also because they're garbage. They left a package at my door without my consent when I specifically said on the intercom (I was at work) to leave me the delivery notice and someone in the building opened it.

Why is UPS a problem?

Because they can leave you waiting all day then all of sudden they update the status to attempted deliver and it always happens to me on Friday then I have to wait for the weekend!
Last year they had my iPhone out for delivery for four days before they delivered and I can't tell you how many plans I cancelled to wait for them!
I'm gonna do that PO box trick to avoid them as much as I can!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Why, how does that work? Instead of putting your room number in the address field, you put it in the PO Box field? I'd almost want to try that, if I wasn't afraid of losing a package. lol

jzbluz

Hello Canadian gaffers!

This is ymmv since according to their fine print they aren't supposed to do it, but I was at SDM today buying a bunch of stuff including a giftcard that tipped me over $50, and the cashier gave me their $10 giftcard from their current promotion.

Roto13

I didn't realize UPS was so terrible. Canada Post is definitely terrible but the few times UPS has delivered something to me, I'd had no problem. :p

I didn't realize UPS was so terrible. Canada Post is definitely terrible but the few times UPS has delivered something to me, I'd had no problem. :p
It sorta depends on the delivery person as well. My old UPS guy was cool, but the new one literally tosses packages at doors.

One time I buzzed to let him in and before I could even open my door, he dropped my parcel (with a huge thud) and ducked out the side door. Next time that happens, I'm filing a complaint.

I really wish Amazon would go back to Canada Post, or at least give you the option.

zroid

Banned
It's rare that someone isn't home here, so I don't have much issue with couriers but I can sympathize. I have had problems with Purolator in the past because the pick-up location is pretty far, but since signing off on letting them leave the parcels at my door, it's been alright.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It sorta depends on the delivery person as well. My old UPS guy was cool, but the new one literally tosses packages at doors.

One time I buzzed to let him in and before I could even open my door, he dropped my parcel (with a huge thud) and ducked out the side door. Next time that happens, I'm filing a complaint.

I really wish Amazon would go back to Canada Post, or at least give you the option.
I want to say the switch happened back when there was news of a strike. Ever since then, they had no reason to switch back I suppose.

terrible

Banned
I flat out won't even order stuff when I see it's going to be shipping with UPS. If I miss the deliveries (which I will) I have to go an hour away to pick it up in the middle of nowhere? Um, no.

For some reason Amazon always ships CP for me. I don't even do the PO Box trick.

Roto13

It looks like there's a UPS Store close to my apartment so if I ever miss a delivery, hopefully it shows up there. There's almost always someone in my apartment. I work from home.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've only had one problem with UPS so far.

From what I've experienced they actually try delivering to my house more than Canada Post who seem to have given up altogether, updating their website with "attempted delivery" then dropping the slip into my mail a couple hours later.

In my town, the street I live on shares its name with another, UPS got confused, and instead of dropping off my Nexus 5 at the UPS store in town, they brought it to the shipping facility or whatever it is in the next town over. I add RR1 to my address now.

Canon

Banned
I've heard some good stuff about them but I'm not really an expert!
Where did you find that price though?
On Dell.ca right now.

Price matched at FS for $94.99, they had to charge me full price first then give me a refund because it was "below cost," or something.

I just noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, you cannot return headphones! So I'm not sure if I'll open it until I'm sure I want it. I haven't found more comfortable headphones thus far.

Wondering how they'd compare to my similarly priced Shure 440 headphones...?

I only had one issue with UPS. I was at home all day waiting for my package which was scheduled to be delivered that day. Nobody showed up and I get a tracking update saying attempted delivery (bullshit) and that it had been dropped off at some random computer store for pickup. Guy probably didn't want to drive here and just left the package there to begin with. I let them return that shit back to Amazon.

frequency

5 of my Cineplex orders came in today. Only 4 of them have an Admit One Pass. I still haven't heard back from them about my refund on the 6 cancelled orders and I'm not looking forward to another 2 hours on the phone to talk about this missing pass.

Such a great deal there but this has been a really tiring experience. I found an email address on another part of their site. guestservices@cineplex.com. Does anyone know if that's the same group that handles it as if I called? And their response time?

zroid

Banned
5 of my Cineplex orders came in today. Only 4 of them have an Admit One Pass. I still haven't heard back from them about my refund on the 6 cancelled orders and I'm not looking forward to another 2 hours on the phone to talk about this missing pass.

Such a great deal there but this has been a really tiring experience. I found an email address on another part of their site. guestservices@cineplex.com. Does anyone know if that's the same group that handles it as if I called? And their response time?

They also have the email storehelp@cineplex.com. I shot one there yesterday although no response yet. Last time I contacted Cineplex through email (although about a movie ticket, not the web store) they got back to me after 1 month. :lol

NeoZylom

I just got my Pikmin 3 from Amazon. It has a small scratch (1 inch long) on the disk, because it was free in the box. Do you think I should contact them to get a replacement?

balohna

I just got my Pikmin 3 from Amazon. It has a small scratch (1 inch long) on the disk, because it was free in the box. Do you think I should contact them to get a replacement?

Wii U discs are pretty rugged, see if you can buff it out with your shirt or something. Could just be a mark, not an actual scratch.

Top Bottom