• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

This is likely old news, but I just went to the Pembina Future Shop in Winnipeg and bought the Wii U version of Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $4.97.

I've never played a Splinter Cell before, so I'm pretty excited to give it a shot. And for $4.97, if the game is even only remotely decent, it's still an incredible deal.

Cheers, folks!

MarkusRJR

This is likely old news, but I just went to the Pembina Future Shop in Winnipeg and bought the Wii U version of Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $4.97.

I've never played a Splinter Cell before, so I'm pretty excited to give it a shot. And for $4.97, if the game is even only remotely decent, it's still an incredible deal.

Cheers, folks!
Oh wow another Winnipegger who lives in the South? This has to be a first. Nearly everyone in this thread seem to be from Ontario or BC.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh wow another Winnipegger who lives in the South? This has to be a first. Nearly everyone in this thread seem to be from Ontario or BC.

winnipegzz.jpg%3Fw%3D1000

Anony

Not sure if posted, but learned today at my Target at least, Wii Fit Plus is being clearanced out (went End of Life).
$10 (this is with the balance board)

Also got my ACIV: Black Flag LE, so yay.

which target? how many was there when you went

chronosic

Cheers, folks!
Is this deal at future shops nationwide? I havent played splinter cell since the first one on game cube, how does this one stack up?

jcutner

that sales clerk is a dick. 1 year PS+ for $49.99 is a joke.

really though? i think if i was the sales guy, i'd promote PS Plus too - not even for myself, but just for the value of the service itself in case the customer was unaware of it
it more than pays for itself if you take advantage of all the free Instant Library stuff every month

MesH

really though? i think if i was the sales guy, i'd promote PS Plus too - not even for myself, but just for the value of the service itself in case the customer was unaware of it
it more than pays for itself if you take advantage of all the free Instant Library stuff every month

And what about the 14 for 14 sale that starts today, Thanks for adding to my back log sony lol.
Puppeteer is $7.00
The Wolf Among Us Season Pass is $13.49
Killlzone Mercenary is $10.00
Tales of Xillia is $10, I already bought this for 40 on release day, but that is a killer deal.

jcutner

And what about the 14 for 14 sale that starts today, Thanks for adding to my back log sony lol.
Puppeteer is $7.00
The Wolf Among Us Season Pass is $13.49
Killlzone Mercenary is $10.00
Tales of Xillia is $10, I already bought this for 40 on release day, but that is a killer deal.

Yup! Definitely going to grab Killzone tonight for 10 bucks

ohlawd

well let's just say I made a conclusion from point A straight to point Z without looking at points B-Y.

Maybe all that's all the clerk did; promote PS+ and not necessary try to sell a subscription.

lfc11

Neo Member
Couldn't find what you were looking for on a Canadian website. Are their any alternatives that are easier to acquire? Will a protective laptop bag do the trick?
Yes it appears to be available in the US only. I'll probably just get a case for the game pad and put it in a bag. Thanks!

Sora_N

Got my Time and Eternity in the mail, even the back cover of this game looks very promising. (Not, they have pixelated screenshots lol)

Haha, this is still one of my favourite Winnipeg-related gags.

Is this deal at future shops nationwide? I havent played splinter cell since the first one on game cube, how does this one stack up?

I think the deal is nationwide. Future Shop's website is offering the same price.

This is the first time I've played a Splinter Cell game, so I can't compare it to others, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I've played through the first mission and am now checking out the main hub.

My only complaint up to this point is that there are some terribly long load times. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it - especially for $4.97. What a deal!

I'm a downtown Winnipeg resident!

frequency

I'm really really really sad and really really really angry.

The DVDs I got from the Cineplex sale don't even play on PC because of copy protection.

Combined with my on-going trouble trying to get a refund on orders they already cancelled like 3 weeks ago...

I'm so unhappy right now.

The DVDs I got from the Cineplex sale don't even play on PC because of copy protection.

Combined with my on-going trouble trying to get a refund on orders they already cancelled like 3 weeks ago...

That's weird, what DVDs?

RS4-

There's a few dvd programs that bypass that iirc. I think powerdvd was one of them? Granted, I haven't actually looked into this in years.

Tried VLC or MPC?

frequency

That's weird, what DVDs?

Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc. All the Disney ones basically.

There's a few dvd programs that bypass that iirc. I think powerdvd was one of them? Granted, I haven't actually looked into this in years.

Tried VLC or MPC?

Tried both. Neither work. I don't know what powerdvd is but I'll look it up.

Edit: Nevermind powerdvd. I'm not going to pay so I can watch what I already paid for. This is ridiculous. I can't watch what I paid for. I just... I'm so angry right now.

whitehawk

Banned
Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc. All the Disney ones basically.

Edit: Nevermind powerdvd. I'm not going to pay so I can watch what I already paid for. This is ridiculous. I can't watch what I paid for. I just... I'm so angry right now.
I suppose you could try DVD Decrypter or Handbrake and rip it to your computer. Sucks, but might be the only way.

Apathy

You might also want to try AnyDVD HD as well

That's odd, most computers should be able to play comercial DVDs including the ones you listed. Even Windows Media Player should work (assuming you aren't using Windows 8; they removed the DVD decoder ... you have to pay for it)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
VLC should play DVDs, although I think you need to download the dvd decoder separately now?

The worst case scenario would be stripping the protection off of the discs entirely with DVDDecrypter, but I don't know if you want to go down that route and play ISOs or whatever.

On that note, I keep meaning to call them but I am never available early enough to avoid the 2 hour wait times. I left messages which I presume they just delete and emails which I guess they ignore. It's really silly that they don't have anyone working there.

Roto13

I do not understand copy protection on DVDs. It makes absolutely no sense. It does nothing but drive people to pirate things they might otherwise be willing to buy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do not understand copy protection on DVDs. It makes absolutely no sense. It does nothing but drive people to pirate things they might otherwise be willing to buy.
To be fair, it's because you can make an infinite number of copies of a disc. I think the reason they even give away digital copies of movies now is because it prevents people from looking up Handbrake or other solutions for breaking copy protection.

koopas

well let's just say I made a conclusion from point A straight to point Z without looking at points B-Y.

Maybe all that's all the clerk did; promote PS+ and not necessary try to sell a subscription.
No, he specifically mocked me for buying "x" and suggest I buy "y" instead.

"Why would you pay ten bucks for Uncharted on Vita when you can subscribe to ps plus for fifty dollars and get way more games?" was his sentiment.

zroid

Banned
Reminds me of the time I got hounded by the dude at Best Buy when I was trying to buy a $20 eShop card. "Why would you buy things from the eShop? It's not safe."

Top Bottom