• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

i-Jest

Im starting to think im not meant to get a ps4. Went to the store this morning cause they said they had stock, by the time i got there, sold out. This is about the 4th time this has happened to me. Next get home, see theres stock on bestbuy online, go through the process, fill everything out, about to finalize the order, annnnnnnnd sold out. Come the fuck on.

I remember hearing stock won't stabilize until February, possibly March. Sony's keeping demand up by shipping in small quantities I think.

With the dollar tanking as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see games going back up to 70 dollars like they were a few years ago. If this is the case, I'm extra glad I was able to get my shopping for this year done via the E3 deal at Futureshop last summer!

i-Jest

With the dollar tanking as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see games going back up to 70 dollars like they were a few years ago. If this is the case, I'm extra glad I was able to get my shopping for this year done via the E3 deal at Futureshop last summer!

I'm hoping Future Shop has some online deals coming soon. I'd prefer to pre-order Bayonetta 2 at a discount.

Madden 2015 for $70 confirmed. Because EA.

Spike

So back at E3 when I used Future Shop's promotion, I ordered DKCRTF, Mario Kart 8, and X. At the time they were listed as $60 titles, and now they've dropped to $50.

Does FS calculate the correct price on their own, or do I have to contact them?

frequency

So back at E3 when I used Future Shop's promotion, I ordered DKCRTF, Mario Kart 8, and X. At the time they were listed as $60 titles, and now they've dropped to $50.

You have to contact them and depending on the CSR, they may not adjust it for you anyway. I've never had luck with them adjusting.

A few of us here had that happen with Wind Waker HD, and possibly others. They probably won't do anything for you, since you're still getting the game at less than retail.

btkadams

Really?!?! Then they are not honouring their promotion.

yeah, that's how it works. it's pretty lame, but you're still getting a discount. the promotion was for 33% off the listed price. you are locked in at the price on your order unless the retail price turns out to be less than the discounted price.

i was pretty annoyed when i preordered sly cooper 4 at $40 (listed price was $60) but the msrp dropped to $40 at release. there was no deal whatsoever.

Lexxism

I guess that's fine since you will at least get the DK for $40 though it should be $33. The other two are still $60 srp

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

I still see them at 59.99$ or am I blind?

ohlawd

woot LotR came with the ticket. Also got the ticket that was missing with Star Wars.

gg Cineplex. Let's play some ball again.

Takuan

yeah, that's how it works. it's pretty lame, but you're still getting a discount. the promotion was for 33% off the listed price. you are locked in at the price on your order unless the retail price turns out to be less than the discounted price.

i was pretty annoyed when i preordered sly cooper 4 at $40 (listed price was $60) but the msrp dropped to $40 at release. there was no deal whatsoever.

Same thing happened to me with the StarCraft 2 expansion. I wound up cancelling and never bought it.

btkadams

Same thing happened to me with the StarCraft 2 expansion. I wound up cancelling and never bought it.

ME TOO. but i ended up just buying the game digitally. my reasoning was getting it earlier and saving trees, since buying disc-based blizzard games is such a waste.

krae_man

You have to call. It's hit or miss.

Last year I got Sly 4 corrected but this year I was told no twice.

Dazzler

I tried to find a copy of You're Next in downtown Vancouver last night, to no success.

It's baffling to me that Downtown Vancouver has all of one Future Shop (and a shitty FS to boot, it's constantly understocked on anything but the biggest titles) for Movie and Videogame purchases. When HMV closed it sucked, but when the EB in Pacific Center closed it reeeeeally sucked.

I don't know who plans these things, but DT Vancouver is practically begging for a new EB Games somewhere.

Guy in that EB Games told me they'd be opening up somewhere DT after Christmas

it's a pain in the butt having such a poor selection of games DT. I like to browse and make impulse purchases. Thankfully I have another FS closer to me on Broadway which seems to be better stocked for games

Guy in that EB Games told me they'd be opening up somewhere DT after Christmas

it's a pain in the butt having such a poor selection of games DT. I like to browse and make impulse purchases. Thankfully I have another FS closer to me on Broadway which seems to be better stocked for games

Whaaa? Who said this? I would be soooo happy if this was true.

Dazzler

Whaaa? Who said this? I would be soooo happy if this was true.

So when the Pacific Centre one was closing I was talking to one of the dudes who worked there and he told me they were being squeezed out by Pacific Centre who were looking to turn the place into a more premium mall. Their rent was set to go up a crazy percentage, so they were left with no choice but to close up shop.

I explained to him the pretty big vacuum this left for gamers downtown and he agreed and said he was told the company would be scouting out a new location downtown after the holiday season

Whether he'd be privy to that info, I'm not sure. But I think he was the manager

frequency

Giving up on watching DVDs on my PC, I put it into the DVD player.

... And I get unskippable trailers.

That's it. I'm done buying movies. Good job Hollywood.

DJ_Lae

Are they completely unskippable? I find that at least one of menu, next chapter, or (worst case) fast forward generally works. Menu is almost always disabled at least.

Granted, I haven't played a DVD in years, but blu-rays are roughly the same in terms of bypassing trailers.

zroid

Banned

Unskippable trailers are awful, but you can actually skip them by mashing next scene till they're through.

frequency

I will try for next time. But when I was pressing the next button, it kept restarting the entire trailer sequence from the beginning again. But I didn't mash it. I pressed it some time apart each time.

So when the Pacific Centre one was closing I was talking to one of the dudes who worked there and he told me they were being squeezed out by Pacific Centre who were looking to turn the place into a more premium mall. Their rent was set to go up a crazy percentage, so they were left with no choice but to close up shop.

I explained to him the pretty big vacuum this left for gamers downtown and he agreed and said he was told the company would be scouting out a new location downtown after the holiday season

Whether he'd be privy to that info, I'm not sure. But I think he was the manager

Ahhhh, I see. That would have been two Christmases ago, so I'm guessing it didn't pan out. I still have hope.

This is why, with very very few exceptions, I only ever buy Criterion discs anymore. Criterions don't have any of that bullshit and it's fantastic. I was also pleasantly surprised when I popped in the copy of Infernal Affairs I got from Cineplex and was able to skip the trailers with one button press.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Premium mall meaning more bubble tea/phone accessories/Chinese medicine/bubble tea places?

Conceptor

I think it just means the driver never got around to your delivery, but I may be wrong.
hmm yeah according to a post on their fb, "“Missed delivery” means the driver had to return to the depot without being able to complete all the scheduled deliveries. All shipments that were missed today, will automatically go back out on next business day."

Wonder what happened.. lol

Cactus

Banned
I've received all the movies/tickets from my Cineplex orders except one. That one movie has been "processing" for weeks, though, so I'm a little bit worried.

I haven't been charged yet, so I'll probably wait it out. I don't ever want to call them again.

You have to contact them and depending on the CSR, they may not adjust it for you anyway. I've never had luck with them adjusting.

A few of us here had that happen with Wind Waker HD, and possibly others. They probably won't do anything for you, since you're still getting the game at less than retail.

This is what they'll tell you--but it is not accurate.

Really?!?! Then they are not honouring their promotion.

Exactly.

I'm sure somewhere in the fine print they covered their asses should something like that happen. Try your luck though.

Never assume this. Never.

I guess that's fine since you will at least get the DK for $40 though it should be $33. The other two are still $60 srp

No it's not fine, as that's not the contract you entered into.

You have to call. It's hit or miss.

Last year I got Sly 4 corrected but this year I was told no twice.

People, do NOT let FS walk all over you like this. The promotion you agreed to was to buy three games and get $20 off each game.

Refusing to give you the difference is in direct contravention of at least two tenants of the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards.

If they never sold the game at $60 THEN THAT IS NOT IT'S PRICE. You can not discount money off a price that never existed.

Did they ever hand a copy of Windwaker HD over to someone and literally take $60 from them for the transaction? No they did not--so therefore $60 was never it's price.

You cannot claim you are offering $60000 off a PS4 at $400 because, like totally, it's regular price is $60400.

Do not roll over and let them break the contract you made with them. Do not "assume" they've covered themselves in small print. Reference the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards, and as a bonus ask them how well it went for them the last time they tangled with them. Or their appeal.

I am 100% about following the letter of the law. I am against abusing things like the CCoAS to get obvious price errors, or honest mistakes.

Refusing to honor $20 off the actual retail price is criminal. Call in and ask your call be escalated to someone familiar with CCoAS, because the first line of CSRs will most likely just shut you down, telling you "you're still getting it for less than full price". Well, whoopdy-fucking-do. "Less than full retail" is not what I agreed to. $20 off each game's PRICE (not some make-believe, never sold for fantasy number) is what I agreed to.

If they can't get reliable data from their distributors as to what games will cost, perhaps they shouldn't run promotions offering specific discounts off prices they are only guessing at. OR--OR, just honor the damned contract they entered in to and eat the difference. Like a business. With a business plan.

/rant

calling these clowns and going through multiple CSRs just to get what I'm legally entitled to infuriates me. why must everything be a battle? if only i lived in Quebec...

Not all games in the FS deal were $20 off. Cheaper games (ie 39 and 49 ones) got less of a discount. I can't remember what the difference was, but research it and take it into account when you decide how much effort you want to spend getting your order fixed.

Not all games in the FS deal were $20 off. Cheaper games (ie 39 and 49 ones) got less of a discount. I can't remember what the difference was, but research it and take it into account when you decide how much effort you want to spend getting your order fixed.

The deal was 33% off the game. So $39.99 games were $26.79, $49.99 games were $33.49, etc. The straight $20 off was 2012, I believe.

Yes but you still got a discount. If a $60 game dropped to $50 the discounted price goes from $40 to $33.33.

Top Bottom