• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

koopas

I don't get it too often either, but I overhear so much staff opinion injected into consumers when talking games.

I always use the analogy, can you imagine a clothing store (similar retail setting, selling products to end users) saying to customers "just so you know, that dress is not very good and has actually been selling very poorly."

Or how about a theatre employee at the ticket window "you know I've seen x movie and it's actually a bad movie".

I've heard ebgames employees on numerous occasions say these things with regards to games and yet people seem to be okay with it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It happens almost every time I go to EBgames. The best (worse) time was when the employee discouraged someone from buying Portal 2 ("the only thing you do in the game is shoot walls... Can you imagine how boring that is?!") and pushed him to buy the incredibly generic-looking Hunted. He talked him out of buying Portal 2 for at least 2-3 minutes, as the client was genuinely interested in the game.

I couldn't believe it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nice I just bought uncharted there for $9.99

The sales clerk tried to talk me out of it however, "just get ps plus" he told me. I told him sorry - I like to own games not rent them.

*crosses arms*

Is that your excuse for not subscribing to PS+? Why don't you rent games to see if something is worth buying because I can tell you, Uncharted Vita is terrible.

ohlawd

No, he specifically mocked me for buying "x" and suggest I buy "y" instead.

"Why would you pay ten bucks for Uncharted on Vita when you can subscribe to ps plus for fifty dollars and get way more games?" was his sentiment.

oh that's not cool. he could have handled that better. I feel the same about you for the whole rent thing. I got PS+ now tho because I might as well jump at $30 instead of the laughable $50.

Is that your excuse for not subscribing to PS+? Why don't you rent games to see if something is worth buying because I can tell you, Uncharted Vita is terrible.
fuck you, Uncharted GA is the Dark Souls of Citizen Kane of Cranky Kong :3

koopas

I'll take my chances at $9.99. And if it is indeed terrible, I can resell it to recover some of the cost (if I so choose).

DJ_Lae

I don't disagree entirely with the sentiment of subscribing to PS+ (especially with so many recent $30 deals) but I don't think I'd outright attack a customer over it.

Having said that, Uncharted Vita is pretty mediocre. Its best aspect, I think, is the motion control aiming, as you can aim with the too small Vita sticks and then correct your aim with the gyroscope. It works great. However, other than that it's kind of awful. The levels aren't very interesting as the Vita does not have the horsepower to pull off any sort of grand setpiece, the touchscreen stuff is silly (you charcoal rub and clean off so many artifacts), and the game is uglier than it should be because it runs below the Vita's native resolution. There's some atrocious quicktime event stuff in there too.

iLLmAtlc

So guys yesterday I was at Wal Mart and found myself in the pillow section. I saw one of those pillows you guys were talking about and it was priced at $9 (had to check on the machine). I wasn't sure whether it was still on sale so I decided to get one anyway. Turns out the sale was $10 for 2. >_>

Anyway no regrets really because my previous pillow was really old. This new one is higher than the old one but also softer.

i-Jest

So if I've maxed out my 32GB Vita card, now what? Should I hunt for cheap 4GBs for now, or wait?

You can always bite the bullet and buy a 64gb sticks from one of those gaming import sites like play asia. Chances are you'll be using it for the long term right?

isny

napkin dispenser
So guys yesterday I was at Wal Mart and found myself in the pillow section. I saw one of those pillows you guys were talking about and it was priced at $9 (had to check on the machine). I wasn't sure whether it was still on sale so I decided to get one anyway. Turns out the sale was $10 for 2. >_>

Anyway no regrets really because my previous pillow was really old. This new one is higher than the old one but also softer.

Pillow GAF never has any regrets. They sleep soundly knowing they've made the right decision.

In the future, trust in pillow GAF. It's your friend.

Parapraxis

Call them, they might be able to sort it out and give you another pillow for the difference.

Jachaos

So I ordered a dishwasher from Future Shop, it was on sale. They then e-mailed me this :

Hi ______:

We're sorry but we haven't been able to process order number xxxxxxxxxx and we'd like to talk with you about it so we can clear it up. Please call us at 1-866-514-1433 from the phone number you entered during checkout.

We'll confirm the exact billing information on file at your financial institution, since the information in your order must match it exactly. (We're asking you to call, as opposed to emailing, because using the phone is the safest and easiest way to communicate with you.)

If we don't hear back from you within the next five business days, we'll assume you're okay with not receiving this particular order and it'll automatically be cancelled.

Feel free to view your order information 24/7 - just click here:

Now, I've called that number, went for both options that somehow made sense with the context of my order, entered my order number followed by the square and it kept repeating the same thing - enter your order number, etc. Was I actually on hold ? Because I kept trying for 10 minutes before giving up.

Socreges

Banned
Wait.... wait... if you have PS+ and download the monthly game (say, Bioshock Infinite), you no longer have access to it once the month is over? I thought you were able to add games to your digital library each month....

Jinto

Wait.... wait... if you have PS+ and download the monthly game (say, Bioshock Infinite), you no longer have access to it once the month is over? I thought you were able to add games to your digital library each month....

You have access to it for as long as you have PS Plus.

Socreges

Banned
You have access to it for as long as you have PS Plus.
I guess I understand what he means by "rent" then, though it's not exactly the case.

I definitely didn't realize that was how it worked, though. So much for me acquiring a trial to get Bioshock Infinite.

Jinto

I guess I understand what he means by "rent" then, though it's not exactly the case.

I definitely didn't realize that was how it worked, though. So much for me acquiring a trial to get Bioshock Infinite.

Do you still have your trial? Did you see this thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750698

So many savings if you're a PS+ member. And those games are yours to keep forever. I just bought like 11 games for $40.

Honestly, PS Plus is much more than the "free" games. I already recouped the $30 I spent for a 1 year subscription and then some in less than a month.

Socreges

Banned

So many savings if you're a PS+ member. And those games are yours to keep forever. I just bought like 11 games for $40.

Honestly, PS Plus is much more than the "free" games. I already recouped the $30 I spent for a 1 year subscription and then some in less than a month.
I spent about $60 on 30 Steam games last Summer, barely played any of them (mostly excellent games), and took that as a lesson. There's only so much free time in a day. Collecting good/great games that I can store on my backlog is never worth it for me, however deep the discount. There are just the must-have games that I personally feel I need to play that I'll actually bother acquiring.

It's a good list of games. Just none that really interest me, though. Bioshock Infinite is one of the first PS+ games that I've felt particularly drawn to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I ordered a dishwasher from Future Shop, it was on sale. They then e-mailed me this :

Now, I've called that number, went for both options that somehow made sense with the context of my order, entered my order number followed by the square and it kept repeating the same thing - enter your order number, etc. Was I actually on hold ? Because I kept trying for 10 minutes before giving up.
I've never done the automated thing, but you probably would get a faster result if you just talk to an operator.

koopas

The question is, would you have bought those games without them being on a ps plus sale? Did you really save any money or did you get games you weren't going to purchase anyways at a discount?

That 14 for 14 deal though... wow.

Socreges

Banned
Kijiji or Amazon? I vaguely remember seeing on VG Plus's website. It can't be that hard to find cheap.

YMMV but I found a greatest hits copy at FS for $9.99 right around Christmas may wanna try there.
Thanks, I'll check

The question is, would you have bought those games without them being on a ps plus sale? Did you really save any money or did you get games you weren't going to purchase anyways at a discount?

That 14 for 14 deal though... wow.
Exactly. Like people who buy everything in bulk and brag about the savings. Yes, in a way you're saving money, but do you really need 10kg of popcorn kernels?

I tried to find a copy of You're Next in downtown Vancouver last night, to no success.

It's baffling to me that Downtown Vancouver has all of one Future Shop (and a shitty FS to boot, it's constantly understocked on anything but the biggest titles) for Movie and Videogame purchases. When HMV closed it sucked, but when the EB in Pacific Center closed it reeeeeally sucked.

I don't know who plans these things, but DT Vancouver is practically begging for a new EB Games somewhere.

Thanks, I'll check

Exactly. Like people who buy everything in bulk and brag about the savings. Yes, in a way you're saving money, but do you really need 10kg of popcorn kernels?

No, I didnt really need that 10kgs, but now that it's in my house, I eat the popcorn every now and then and I have discovered I really like some of these kernels. In fact, I am finding I like a LOT of these kernels even though they looked like I would have never touched them otherwise.

Roto13

Does it matter? You're never saving money when you buy things you don't need, whether they're games you're dying to play or games you're $5 worth of interested in.

I tried to find a copy of You're Next in downtown Vancouver last night, to no success.

It's baffling to me that Downtown Vancouver has all of one Future Shop (and a shitty FS to boot, it's constantly understocked on anything but the biggest titles) for Movie and Videogame purchases. When HMV closed it sucked, but when the EB in Pacific Center closed it reeeeeally sucked.

I don't know who plans these things, but DT Vancouver is practically begging for a new EB Games somewhere.

There is a much smaller HMV across the street from the old one but it doesn't carry games. That FS gets plenty of traffic I believe which is probably why they're always understocked. I'd recommend going to the Broadway location which is always quiet.

There is a much smaller HMV across the street from the old one but it doesn't carry games. That FS gets plenty of traffic I believe which is probably why they're always understocked. I'd recommend going to the Broadway location which is always quiet.

That HMV closed a couple weeks ago, tis no more.

And it absolutely gets a ton of traffic, since it's the only big retailer in such a heavily populated area. That's why being understocked on everything annoys me so much haha.

London Drugs has become a bit of a secret weapon if you have no options.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

There's a certain price threshold before people will be willing to buy some games. Its not buying just for the sake of buying, a lot of people actually want to and will play these games.

I wouldn't pay the $15 asking price for Spelunky or Rain but for $3.75, I most certainly will purchase them.

Socreges

Banned
No, I didnt really need that 10kgs, but now that it's in my house, I eat the popcorn every now and then and I have discovered I really like some of these kernels. In fact, I am finding I like a LOT of these kernels even though they looked like I would have never touched them otherwise.
Only that's not how it works. If you buy that much popcorn, you never end up eating most of it. You got it at a good price but ultimately it just takes up space in your pantry. :)

What do you want to bet Jinto has a massive backlog and will unfortunately never get around to playing most of his games?

stix zadinia

Neo Member
Im starting to think im not meant to get a ps4. Went to the store this morning cause they said they had stock, by the time i got there, sold out. This is about the 4th time this has happened to me. Next get home, see theres stock on bestbuy online, go through the process, fill everything out, about to finalize the order, annnnnnnnd sold out. Come the fuck on.

zroid

Banned
I had a dream that Best Buy canceled my Bravely Default CE pre-order because they suddenly learned it was going to be EB exclusive. -__-

btkadams

Im starting to think im not meant to get a ps4. Went to the store this morning cause they said they had stock, by the time i got there, sold out. This is about the 4th time this has happened to me. Next get home, see theres stock on bestbuy online, go through the process, fill everything out, about to finalize the order, annnnnnnnd sold out. Come the fuck on.

so it's hard to find in canada too? damn! i thought it was just americans having issues. i haven't been in a store in months due to an injury, so i haven't been able to see for myself.

ohlawd

I had a dream that Best Buy canceled my Bravely Default CE pre-order because they suddenly learned it was going to be EB exclusive. -__-
it hurts me knowing I'm not picking up LR because I know BD will take up all of my time :(

how fast did XIII-2 bomba to $20? Hopefully by April it's already down to that price as my April pickup list is freaking anemic.

Parapraxis

Then you just need to log in and click through.
Best of luck.

stix zadinia

Neo Member
so it's hard to find in canada too? damn! i thought it was just americans having issues. i haven't been in a store in months due to an injury, so i haven't been able to see for myself.
It is. Theres an unbelievable amount of hoarders here. Keep reading shit online of guys buying and reselling 40-50 units at 100$ more than cost. Drives me mental.

it hurts me knowing I'm not picking up LR because I know BD will take up all of my time :(

how fast did XIII-2 bomba to $20? Hopefully by April it's already down to that price as my April pickup list is freaking anemic.

Ugh I'm conflicted. On one hand, I know I won't play LR for months, and I have no problem waiting for it to be $20 (which won't take long).

But on the other hand, I reeeeeeeeally want that Cloud costume pre order bonus. I wonder if that will be paid DLC after.

Top Bottom