• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Holy shit February will be expensive, even with most games coming from FS promo.

3DS: Bravely Default (Feb 7)
Vita: Toukiden (Feb 11)
PS3: Lightning Returns (Feb 11)
PS3: Castlevania (Feb 25)
PS4: Thief (Feb 25)

And I skip(for now) DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on the Vita and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on PS3.

I only just recently bought a Vita so I did not follow the price drop for its games. Toukiden is my only game at full price, how fast should it drop? Or some Vita games become rare?

Edit: Oh god, March is about as bad...

Megasoum

Banned
Are you considering any other hardware or just whether to WiiU or not to WiiU?

I already have a PS4 and not really interested in the XB1.

Which 2 games ?

WindWaker HD and Zombie U... Yes I know the Mario games are amazing and I can see that but I'm just really not a fan....but I have so much money in my bank account! lol

That's the thing... I kinda want a WiiU but I know it would be a very stupid purchase that I would play with for a couple of days and then be stuck with it.

UberTag

Not considering a handy little device that has a great software library of titles you can already enjoy for free that will allow you to access & play your new PS4 anywhere in your house?

Megasoum

Banned
Not considering a handy little device that has a great software library of titles you can already enjoy for free that will allow you to access & play your new PS4 anywhere in your house?

Heh... I thought about it. Not really interested either. None of the actual games interest me and remote play is not really a factor for me, I live in a small appartment.

Guys, any recommendations for a PS2 (yes, two) wireless controller? Any chance those Chinese knock-offs on eBay are worth anything? 'Cause you can get those at $10 shipped; would be nice.

Jachaos

WindWaker HD and Zombie U... Yes I know the Mario games are amazing and I can see that but I'm just really not a fan....but I have so much money in my bank account! lol

That's the thing... I kinda want a WiiU but I know it would be a very stupid purchase that I would play with for a couple of days and then be stuck with it.

Hm, are there any upcoming games you'd like as well ? Mario Kart, Super Smash, etc. ? And I'm sure you can gather crews to play those two, I know they're well loved where we live (if you do live in Montréal). Have you tried Pikmin ? Do you like action games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising ? If yes to any of those, then you already have yourself a few more games on your potentials list. Also, if you haven't tried Nintendoland and can gather groups of 4-5 to play, it's great. Trust everyone who's played the multiplayer games in it. And well of course X, SMTxFire Emblem, etc. are coming so if you like RPGs there's those. And the inevitable Mario Party, Zelda, Animal Crossing can be taken in consideration as a you'd already have the console if you ever want to play those.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any general TV buying tips from someone who has no clue about buying TVs?

Won't be primarily used for gaming so I won't be stressing about response time necessarily but uhh I don't know where else to ask. Looking for something in the 55"-60" range but have no idea about stuff like LED vs. LCD vs. Plasma, warranties, etc. If someone could point me in the general direction of reliable resources for this sort of thing that'd be cool too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just curious, for anyone who bought movies through Cineplex, did you get all your movie passes?

I'm still missing around 8 or so... they still say submitted, but I wonder if someone has just forgotten them or something. :(

I'm just curious, for anyone who bought movies through Cineplex, did you get all your movie passes?

I'm still missing around 8 or so... they still say submitted, but I wonder if someone has just forgotten them or something. :(

The last 3 orders have been without passes so I am out about 1 I guess.

Megasoum

Banned
Hm, are there any upcoming games you'd like as well ? Mario Kart, Super Smash, etc. ? And I'm sure you can gather crews to play those two, I know they're well loved where we live (if you do live in Montréal). Have you tried Pikmin ? Do you like action games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising ? If yes to any of those, then you already have yourself a few more games on your potentials list. Also, if you haven't tried Nintendoland and can gather groups of 4-5 to play, it's great. Trust everyone who's played the multiplayer games in it. And well of course X, SMTxFire Emblem, etc. are coming so if you like RPGs there's those. And the inevitable Mario Party, Zelda, Animal Crossing can be taken in consideration as a you'd already have the console if you ever want to play those.

Yeah not really. There's nothing announced on the WiiU that really interest me except potentially the next (true) Zelda game but we don't know anything about it yet. I think I just need to find a friend who has one that I could borrow lol.

RE_Player

Snagged Rayman Legends for $9.99 on both Vita and PS3 yesterday and Futureshop's Vaughan location. It said out of stock on the site but went anyway did some digging and asking and found some copies.

Megasoum

Banned
I fucking hate Québec governement....

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-250gb-solid-state-drive-mz-7te250bw-mz-7te250bw/10270640.aspx?path=49ada1dd49c14fff9c1f297ad466ffbben02

So it's 10$ cheaper than normal and same price than NCIX but with free shipping...but they won't ship to Québec cause the fucking packaging is not translated. Who fucking care? It's a SSD! It's not like I will put the empty box on my shelf.

No information about local stocks too (probably for the same reason)... I'll go see later at my local store but still.

Holy shit February will be expensive, even with most games coming from FS promo.

And I skip(for now) DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on the Vita and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on PS3.

I only just recently bought a Vita so I did not follow the price drop for its games. Toukiden is my only game at full price, how fast should it drop? Or some Vita games become rare?

for what it's worth, Thief looks entirely skippable

Donkey Kong? EB already selling it for $5 more: http://www.ebgames.ca/nintendo-wii-u/games/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/318248

Dazzler

Rayman Legends for PS4 looking like my only February purchase. Looking at spending the month working on my backlog

This 14 for 14 sale has just added an unfortunate amount to it

ohlawd

Feb is pretty killer. ToS HD for $100 thanks to the bonus shit (Marta figure <3) is like a knife to the heart.

2 (more like 3 I guess) JRPGs, high school Ace Attorney and a 2D bananatastic platformer. dat variety

i-Jest

Off topic but what are people's Wii/Wii U game collections like? I know we can get a little excited when Nintendo games get a temporary price drop. I'm just curious is all...

isny

napkin dispenser
Guys, any recommendations for a PS2 (yes, two) wireless controller? Any chance those Chinese knock-offs on eBay are worth anything? 'Cause you can get those at $10 shipped; would be nice.

I may be willing to sell a few of my official wireless ones for the right price.

PM me.

Gxgear

Oh wow, didn't realize Toukiden is localized. Was going to import but decided against it, guess I dodged a bullet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Toukiden is basically a monster hunter clone, isn't it?

The last 3 orders have been without passes so I am out about 1 I guess.

Anyone know their business hours? Of course toll free numbers count against your minutes on a Bell plan. Which wouldn't be a problem if the wait times weren't over an hour.

ohlawd

Off topic but what are people's Wii/Wii U game collections like? I know we can get a little excited when Nintendo games get a temporary price drop. I'm just curious is all...

Here's my Wii U collection
ibyLdSVbwwRVVV.jpg

Missing retail: Sonic Transformed Racing BLAH BLAH, ZombiU, Wii Party U, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Digital: Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Nintendo Land.

Wii games are in the cabinet. Standard collection with a lot of 1st parties, a couple of 3rd. I'd say the biggest regret I have last gen is not buying enough of the quirky 3rd party games on the system.

Toukiden is basically a monster hunter clone, isn't it?

well it looks like a clone. probably is one. I'm gonna pass on it tho. I've come under the realization that I haven't enjoyed any MH clone (I say clone quite loosely) I've played except actual MH.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So because I don't have a good phone (I basically have a crappy barebones phone) and didn't want to hold it to my head for over an hour, I used Google Talk to call Cineplex on my Mac and it worked perfectly. I need to remember that the next time I need to call a tech support number. lol

But wow, although the long wait times are horrendous, the actual costumer service is great. After seeing that I was missing passes, they just gave me 1000 scene points each and that was that. Also the orders where my scene card number disappeared were also credited with scene points, so all of a sudden I have 8000 points on my account.

I'd almost wish that they would just convert all my admit one passes to points, since I found out yesterday that they are extremely limited in terms of what you can use them for (I couldn't get into the Evangelion screening with one).

But hell, I'm happy.

TimeKillr

I fucking hate Québec governement....

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-250gb-solid-state-drive-mz-7te250bw-mz-7te250bw/10270640.aspx?path=49ada1dd49c14fff9c1f297ad466ffbben02

So it's 10$ cheaper than normal and same price than NCIX but with free shipping...but they won't ship to Québec cause the fucking packaging is not translated. Who fucking care? It's a SSD! It's not like I will put the empty box on my shelf.

No information about local stocks too (probably for the same reason)... I'll go see later at my local store but still.

Bah, it's not the government, it's just FS that's being stupid with these things. Nobody else refuses to send stuff to Quebec just because the box isn't translated. NOBODY.

Tsundere

Banned
Bah, it's not the government, it's just FS that's being stupid with these things. Nobody else refuses to send stuff to Quebec just because the box isn't translated. NOBODY.

It is the government. Futureshop is abiding by the "law" while other companies don't follow it to the letter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is the government. Futureshop is abiding by the "law" while other companies don't follow it to the letter.
It's probably much easier to go after BestBuy/Futureshop than some tiny store that no one really cares about.

Well, unless you have "pasta" on your menu!

Lexxism

Not sure if it's been said but EBGAMES has the PSVITA for $169.99. Not bad but unfortunately it doesn't include a memory card.

It has been on sale for quite of times. I hope they do next the bundle one so that I can PM it at FS/BB and use all of gift card.

Wow. The 74.99($5 off) 32GB Vita memory is sold out in amazon. Looks like a lot of people took a bite.

Here's my Wii U collection

waittt a second... there's a Wii game in there... Pandora's tower!

PHONY.. HEY GUYS, WE GOT A BIG FAT PHONY HERE! PHONY!

That's a cool set, man. I don't have a wii u, but I want to buy Lego City, wonderful 101, and pikmin 3 when I get the money for it.

My monitor conked a few weeks ago (it was an Acer from two or three years ago?) and I was wondering what (affordable) brand I should aim to get when I get a new one?

It's just that that's the second Acer monitor to die on me and I really want to avoid having that happen again....

Roto13

My monitor conked a few weeks ago (it was an Acer from two or three years ago?) and I was wondering what (affordable) brand I should aim to get when I get a new one?

It's just that that's the second Acer monitor to die on me and I really want to avoid having that happen again....

Step 1 is to never buy an "Acer" anything.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Step 1 is to never buy an "Acer" anything.

Step 2: Buy ASUS.

As for my Wii U collection. I have 8 physical games:
Super Mario 3D World
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Batman: Arkham Origins
ZombiU
NSMBU
NSLU

Also have Nintendoland digital and looking to pick up Lego City Undercover (for $20)

Dazzler

Anyone know where I can pick up a HDMI switch for a nice price? FS have one listed on their site for $25 but it's out of stock

I have three consoles vying for two HDMI ports, and it'll only get worse if I get an Xbox One in the near future

NYR

Anyone know where I can pick up a HDMI switch for a nice price? FS have one listed on their site for $25 but it's out of stock

I have three consoles vying for two HDMI ports, and it'll only get worse if I get an Xbox One in the near future

monoprice

Sheik

What are you using your monitor for? General use, media, gaming? I'd recommend Asus or Samsung for general and Benq for gaming. NCIX regularly has small sales on monitors but search around to verify standard pricing because a lot of the time they show bulked up prices slashed down to make their sales seem better than they are.

RS4-

Dell, Asus, Samsung or LG. Budget and what you're using it for?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
EB increased the price of some new releases/preorders by $5. Fuck right off EB you scummy shits.

zroid

Banned
EB increased the price of some new releases/preorders by $5. Fuck right off EB you scummy shits.

I think FS and BB are gradually doing it too. Basically, we're screwed.

Even if the CAD recovers this year, publishers will drag their legs for ages before dropping the MSRP again. It's an all-too-familiar situation.

Top Bottom