• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

ohlawd

so after taxes, I'm looking at $50 for handheld games and $73 for console games. Swell.

waittt a second... there's a Wii game in there... Pandora's tower!

PHONY.. HEY GUYS, WE GOT A BIG FAT PHONY HERE! PHONY!

That's a cool set, man. I don't have a wii u, but I want to buy Lego City, wonderful 101, and pikmin 3 when I get the money for it.

Thankies. I'm pretty happy with my Wii U even tho it's dead in the market.

koopas

Just picked up Wonderful 101 for full price (59.99). Alright now tell me how it's 59.99 everywhere and I did a good thing supporting Platinum and I won't find it for cheaper anywhere.

Right?

If games will be rising, then I won't be picking them up on release day unless it's damn good.

Otherwise Amazon Marketplace for PS4 and Vita digital I hear is good. Any instructions needed? USA address or what?

Oh goddammit I was looking at Danganronpa yesterday at EB Games and now it's $44.99. FUCK. So suddenly Amazon.ca is back to being the least worst pre-order option: they'll just ship my game out a week after the release date, as opposed to EB Games charging a higher MSRP and FS/BB not actually delivering it to my mailbox because reasons. Ugh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh goddammit I was looking at Danganronpa yesterday at EB Games and now it's $44.99. FUCK. So suddenly Amazon.ca is back to being the least worst pre-order option: they'll just ship my game out a week after the release date, as opposed to EB Games charging a higher MSRP and FS/BB not actually delivering it to my mailbox because reasons. Ugh.
Gah. I guess it begins. I almost hope other people don't change the price, if only to try to force EB to lower its prices back down.

Canon

Banned
I bought a Move bundle for $40 at Shoppers. Any good deals for navigation controller?

Probably should have waited for bomba prices or the new Move coming out for PS4...

ohlawd

BD will probably get hit with an extra 5 bucks.

Already fully paid off the CE at 55 too. What do I call this? Day 1 tax? Amazon might be cheaper but I want the game ASAP.

Sajjaja

This will affect everything, from used game prices to discounts. $70 games isn't good for Canadian consumers, period.

monkey_island_never_pay_more_363856374.jpg

Hasn't EB done this before? Priced games 5 dollars more than everyone else? Pretty sure I remember other retailers not increasing price and me not going to EB anymore

Animal

Banned
Hasn't EB done this before? Priced games 5 dollars more than everyone else? Pretty sure I remember other retailers not increasing price and me not going to EB anymore

EB games in Montreal were charging 10$ more than all other stores in the area for World of Warcraft Cataclysm on launch day with no notice. I get to the cash and pay for my game without even looking at the price. As I am paying the cashier tells me that they are giving 10$ coupons on a future game purchase for those buying Cataclysm. I say thanks thinking its a cool promotion.

On my way out I look at my reciept and its 10$ more than all the other stores. I turn around and stop the cashier from serving the next customer and I ask him why they are charging 10$ more than any other store in front of everyone. He says its because they are giving out 10$ coupons. I tell him he can keep the coupon and just charge me the actual price because his coupon isn't saving me shit. He says he can only charge the price the system gives him. I ask for an immediate refund which he promptly executes. In the mean time most of the customers in line left the store.

I drove over to FutureShop 5 min away. They charge me actual price and offer me bunch of posters, hats and t-shirts.

Lexxism

BD will probably get hit with an extra 5 bucks.

Already fully paid off the CE at 55 too. What do I call this? Day 1 tax? Amazon might be cheaper but I want the game ASAP.

Oh damn. They still have the CE for $50. I hope they won't get change the price when they release it on February :[

EB increased the price of some new releases/preorders by $5. Fuck right off EB you scummy shits.

What are those games?

Ondore

I checked last night and Ground Zeroes was $45, Destiny and Thief were listed at $64.99. (Front page of EB Games's PS4 section.)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Argh, no, I don't wait to see $70 games ever again... Amazon.ca hasn't boosted the prices yet, I can only hope it'll stay that way...

RE_Player

I don't shop at EB anymore, I kind of caused a scene at my local one after some incompetent employees tried to screw me over, but if this trend of $65 and $70 new games comes across all stores I'll simply stop buying new games or buy them digitally on PSN, with no tax as well.

yea guys, stop this right nowww!

i remember street fighter 4 and resident evil 5 releases at 69.99.

fuckkkkk that shiiiiiiiit.

im not doing that anymore, lets send these retailers a message :D

Roto13

I don't shop at EB anymore, I kind of caused a scene at my local one after some incompetent employees tried to screw me over, but if this trend of $65 and $70 new games comes across all stores I'll simply stop buying new games or buy them digitally on PSN, with no tax as well.

Yup.

The only game coming out in the near-ish future that I'll specifically want to have a physical copy of is Bayonetta 2, so I hope that doesn't go up in price. Bayonetta 1 came out during the $70 dark ages and it was $60 at launch, but that was published by Sega.

RE_Player

Yup.

The only game coming out in the near-ish future that I'll specifically want to have a physical copy of is Bayonetta 2, so I hope that doesn't go up in price. Bayonetta 1 came out during the $70 dark ages and it was $60 at launch, but that was published by Sega.
I too am getting Bayonetta 2 but if it does go up I'll have no problem buying it from the eshop. Even though Nintendo does apply sales tax online I'll use some leftover Best Buy reward zone certificates for some eshop cards and the Wii U Digital Deluxe program would give me $5 back.

I like having physical copies as well but I cannot support that shit. Me and my friends were so pumped for Mortal Kombat and it turned out they charged day 1 $69.99. We all bought it that day but we promised never again.

Samyy

Jesus they upped the prices on my two pre-orders as well, and since I only pre-ordered them at EB for the bonuses now I'm really pissed.

Ugh :/ fuck this, no more new game purchases for me.

I stopped shopping at EB a year ago. Haven't gone in a single time I think. Good stuff. Especially now when pre-ordering online at futureshop gets me games on day 1.

MTF has some new games for sale online, likely only one per posting, they are:

Battlefield 4 (xbox 360) - 29.99
http://www.pricematters.ca/p-9291-battlefield-4-xbox-360.aspx#.Utq0trvTky4
Syndicate (xbox 360) - 6.79
http://www.pricematters.ca/p-9420-syndicate-xbox-360.aspx#.Utq0w7vTky4
Just Dance 2014 (Wii U) - 23.99
http://www.pricematters.ca/c-721-video-games.aspx?section=-316-
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (xbox 360) - 9.99
http://www.pricematters.ca/p-9430-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-xbox-360.aspx#.Utq01LvTky4
Adventure Time Ice King (3DS) - 9.99
http://www.pricematters.ca/p-9425-a...d-you-steal-our-garbage-3ds.aspx#.Utq0lrvTky4
Teenage Mustant Ninja Tutrles (3DS) - 9.99
http://www.pricematters.ca/p-9285-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-3ds.aspx#.Utq0h7vTky4

Mostly xbox 360 games were added...

i-Jest

I knew something was up when Reaper of Souls CE is 84.99.

God damn it I still remembered buying Resistance 1 for 70 bucks. Ugh.

NOOOOOOOOOO

NOT AGAIN

FUCK

I hate this shit. I'm done buying retail games for the time being.

yea guys, stop this right nowww!

i remember street fighter 4 and resident evil 5 releases at 69.99.

fuckkkkk that shiiiiiiiit.

im not doing that anymore, lets send these retailers a message :D

Yup.

This feels like another way Publishers are getting us to embrace an all digital future. I for one will be more picky when buying my games from now on.

Yeah, doing this is at this point in time, when customers are faced with a choice to get every game digitally if they want, is not how companies will sway consumers to their side.

I'll get screwed out of my preorder for Final Fantasy X at EB. I only put $10 down, and I worked there for a bit so I know they'll only honor the original price if I paid it all off. I'll end up having to pay the extra $5.

zeitgeist

Just checked to see for myself that games are getting bumped 5 bucks. But then I saw the Grand Wizard edition of South Park and it is pretty difficult not to pre-order it.

jayu26

I've never seen a console price rise when this happened. They are pretty heavily advertised prices, customers would really bitch.

Yeah, in any case I can wait on PS4. But my GPU is dying and I have been waiting for R9 290's price to come down. But bitcoin miners are ruining it for the rest of us.

i-Jest

You guys think that hardware prices are going to rise too? Should I buy a video card right now? What about a PS4?

Hardware shouldn't rise in price. Companies sell hardware at a loss. They recoup those losses through software. That's the traditional approach anyway. If you've found a good deal on a video card you want then go for it. If a 399 PS4 rises to 499, while XBone goes from 599 to 699, I think people will be waiting a while longer before they hop on next gen. That's tooo much for consoles imo.

zroid

Banned
I don't have faith in the food being much good, but this seems like kind of a good deal?

mealandamovie_header_en.jpg

It's the 1000 SCENE points which make it worthwhile

ph00p

Banned
Jeez, as if Ground Zeroes needed to be MORE expensive...

LOL like you need a reason to skip EB Games, now they're gouging, funny guys! I hope this doesn't trend.

It's BS for the prices of games to go up right now, last time the dollar dropped the retail prices didn't go up, or at least I don't remember seeing them go up. Didn't the parity happen when our dollar was around 0.85 or something?

Top Bottom