• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Sora_N

It was a great deal.

I think I'm done with them though. I've been waiting for a refund on orders they cancelled for almost 4 weeks now. I've called them 5 times (1 time I quit after waiting too long and another time my phone battery ran out) and emailed them twice (neither of them were answered).

I've spent more than 10 hours trying to deal with this and still they can't do something as simple as cancel properly. They cancelled the shipments but are taking forever to give me back my money. I'm going to just dispute with PayPal soon. I don't have time to sit on the phone for another 2 hours just to get through to someone who will tell me it's happening when nothing happens for 4 weeks.

Too much incompetence. I don't trust them anymore.

You should just dispute first, 4 weeks is pretty long and no real company should be taking that long. This isn't even eBay so there's no excuse for that, guess they are just badly run.

Anyone else still wondering why Future Shop did that trade in deal?

Was it just awareness for the $40 next hen trade in deal? Because they haven't done any other deal since, no trade 2 or 1 for X game or whatever.

Really lame. Would like to see the trade 2 for X begin for next gen games at least.

Not sure what FS was smoking but they lost like $5M from that deal. I'm guessing someone at the trade-in department got canned as a result, which probably explains why there have been no trade-in deals of late.

Lexxism

L8ejXdz.jpg

Dazzler

Not sure what FS was smoking but they lost like $5M from that deal. I'm guessing someone at the trade-in department got canned as a result, which probably explains why there have been no trade-in deals of late.

Considering all the extra publicity (front page of lots of newspapers and websites) and rumours of the promo being covered to an extent by publishers - I bet they didn't lose a whole lot on it

Roto13

Do you really believe some guy at Future Shop put a lampshade on his head and took off his pants and went "DAR DAR DAR LETZ GIV ERRYONE FREE GAEM 4 NO REEZIN" and everyone else just went with it?

Arzehn

Soooooo Futureshop/Best Buy are raising their game prices too.

Saw this tweet from gamedealscanada:

https://twitter.com/GameDealsCanada/status/425373007872524288

So I went to do some preordering to lock in prices and saw a couple games already had their prices raised, like:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
South Park

Jump on it while you can guys.

I was debating whether to go full digital when I get my Vita or try to have a physical collection. This pretty much tilted it towards digital.

I still want physical copies of my console games though. Walmart please save us (lol).

I think I'm going to make a thread for the Canadian game prices raising. Seems thread worthy.

It is.

Ground Zeroes is the only game coming out this year that I didn't order via the FS E3 deal as I was hoping for a special edition version to be announced. Oh well, guess I'll be paying the sinking loonie tax on that one.

Anth0ny

Ground Zeroes is the only game coming out this year that I didn't order via the FS E3 deal as I was hoping for a special edition version to be announced. Oh well, guess I'll be paying the sinking loonie tax on that one.

Same. What's the deal with that? Metal Gear games always get special editions in North America, and the Japanese SE for Ground Zeroes looks great =/

Yawnier

Banned
The last time I recall being in a store and seeing a game retail for $65 was one of the Blazing Angels on 360 or PS3 back in 2007 or so, ugh price raising sucks.

iiicon

The last time I recall being in a store and seeing a game retail for $65 was one of the Blazing Angels on 360 or PS3 back in 2007 or so, ugh price raising sucks.
I think I remember some later EA games (NHL and FIFA, maybe?) costing a little bit more well after most games dropped back down to $60. but yeah, any rise in price will likely drive me to buy more on sale or digitally or both.

mdubs

Banned

I remember buying Dante's Inferno day one from Future Shop for $69.99. And Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 was also tagged as $69.99 at the time I remember.

frequency

I don't remember ever paying more than $59.99 (+tax) so this is new and scary for me.

But I'm probably younger than most people here and I haven't been in Canada my entire life.

Dumb question: do I need to buy/play both Ground Zeroes AND The Phantom Pain, or will GZ eventually be included as the prologue to the full game when it comes out? I can't find anything that says definitively either way, nor any word on whether Kojima's use of the term "prologue" is merely an allusion or actually representative of its eventual inclusion into The Phantom Pain.

I don't remember ever paying more than $59.99 (+tax) so this is new and scary for me.

But I'm probably younger than most people here and I haven't been in Canada my entire life.

This was happening as late as Forza Motorsport 3. Maybe you just missed it/had parents buy games for you a few years ago? Or, like the rest of us, you blocked it out of your memory.

It didn't really happen much for this generation of consoles. Only at the verrrryyyy beginning around 2006-2007. So even if you are 16 years old now yeah, you would have been like 8 or 9.

Some people are saying it happened later but that's not my experience.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Dumb question: do I need to buy/play both Ground Zeroes AND The Phantom Pain, or will GZ eventually be included as the prologue to the full game when it comes out? I can't find anything that says definitively either way, nor any word on whether Kojima's use of the term "prologue" is merely an allusion or actually representative of its eventual inclusion into The Phantom Pain.

No one knows at this point... My guess is that they'll be two separate games at first, and then 6-12 months down the line they'll release a "complete" edition of MGS5 containing both.

iLLmAtlc

Well don't forget that PS3 ground zeroes is gonna be $20 on PSN, I'm considering whether the disc is worth that much to me right now lol. =\

Sora_N

I remember when I was a kid and got my dad to buy me .hack//Infection for the PS2, it was $69.99. It stung back then and it will still sting today. Let's hope that price doesn't happen.

They were there. You probably blocked it out or were too young at the time. It was a Canada wide issue.

You got me digging through my receipts lol.

Oldest ones I could find is late 2009. But I haven't found any new release game receipts that are above $59.99 yet. A looooot of 2010 ones and none of them are $69.99, that's what year Dante's Inferno was right?

Appleman

You got me digging through my receipts lol.

Oldest ones I could find is late 2009. But I haven't found any new release game receipts that are about $59.99 yet. A looooot of 2010 ones and none of them are $69.99, that's what year Dante's Inferno was right?

I remember buying Tony Hawk's Underground 2 on day 1 for $69.99 at Futureshop, I think I even have the reciept because literally the next day it was down to $59.99 I recall

frequency

This was happening as late as Forza Motorsport 3. Maybe you just missed it/had parents buy games for you a few years ago? Or, like the rest of us, you blocked it out of your memory.

It didn't really happen much for this generation of consoles. Only at the verrrryyyy beginning around 2006-2007. So even if you are 16 years old now yeah, you would have been like 8 or 9.

Some people are saying it happened later but that's not my experience.

Oh my parents would be buying everything for me 2006 - 2009 (Forza 3 release year).

So yeah... new scary thing for me. I hope I have enough willpower to wait for price drops.

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure about $69.99 because I literally have never paid full price for PS360 games (except certain CEs), but I know Wii games were $59.99 as late as mid-2010 when Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released. That's the last (major) one as far as I can recall.

Has anybody played 007 Legends?

The Goldeneye game on Wii was pretty fun, is this one any good?

No. No no no no no.

Longer version: it's a super generic shooter that's more about mindless action than stealth. It's hideously ugly -- like, I'm talking PS2-level graphics at times. And to top it all off, the ending is DLC. Admittedly, it's free DLC, but they still shipped the game incomplete. Maybe buy it used if you're really curious, but I wouldn't waste my time if I were you, unless you're really, really desperate.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
No. No no no no no.

Longer version: it's a super generic shooter that's more about mindless action than stealth. It's hideously ugly -- like, I'm talking PS2-level graphics at times. And to top it all off, the ending is DLC. Admittedly, it's free DLC, but they still shipped the game incomplete. Maybe buy it used if you're really curious, but I wouldn't waste my time if I were you, unless you're really, really desperate.

I still haven't even played stuff I got on sale from FS like Zombi U or Lego City yet anyway, but I was wondering if this could have been a hidden gem. Looks like I'm skipping it, thanks!

Top Bottom