• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

terrible

Banned
Huh, I got two more Cineplex movie tickets in the mail today. I was only expecting the one from my initial order, but I guess you get one for each set of orders? Neat.

I got an extra one in the mail today myself. They'd already given me all I was due to receive so I guess they just felt like making an already great deal even better? Lol.

Canon

Banned
It's not profitable. That's why they're cancelling any "free" orders and ignoring people with negative/zero rewards balances. They're not the customer base shop.ca is aiming for. They want people who will buy from them consistently without stacking codes/rewards and referring real people (instead of self-referring).

TL;DR: shop.ca is a total gongshow, but you're not getting anything back.
The customer base they're aiming for is never gonna come since their prices without promotional offers are abysmal and cheaper on any other website. Pissing off your existing customers is the worst business strategy possible. Yeah, they might think ignoring these complaints will net them more money, but it's going to bite them in the ass.

Joeku

So, don't tell anyone I told you (and I didn't check so apologies if this was up on CAG or RFD or anything), but in Target starting Friday, select PS4 games are $34.99. Only ones pictures are ACIV, BF4, and Killzone, but there may be more.

So if anyone plans on picking those up...wait til Friday.

SirKhalid

How come I can't find any Xbox points card or currency card anymore in Canada online? I tried looking for them on FS, BB, WM and amazon.ca but I didn't see anything.

T2K

Neo Member
So, don't tell anyone I told you (and I didn't check so apologies if this was up on CAG or RFD or anything), but in Target starting Friday, select PS4 games are $34.99. Only ones pictures are ACIV, BF4, and Killzone, but there may be more.

So if anyone plans on picking those up...wait til Friday.
Thanks for the heads up! Been meaning to pick up ACIV. Do you have a link to the flyer/ad that you saw?

emgeejay

I don't mean to sound belittling, but that's the least confusing ad I've ever seen. Why would they give you a meal, a free movie ticket, and 1000 scene points? They are simply explaining where this free movie is coming from.

I hate to bring this back up, but it is confusingly worded.

"Meal and a Movie for $20" sounds like the base deal is a meal and the ticket for the movie you're seeing while you're there.

Adding "Includes 1,000 SCENE points... that's enough for a free movie!" on the opposite end of the ad sounds like you also get enough points to cover your admission the next time you go to the theatre.

To further complicate things, Cineplex usually advertises those bonus point offers in-theatre with "see a movie for free next time."

Not to mention the fact that at every Cineplex I've been to, you can't get into the concession area without first handing over your admission ticket. So now you're not able to buy the meal-and-a-movie offer until you've already paid for your movie...

Not sure how much the meals cost regularly, but you probably do save a bit. I think the food is way overpriced anyway, so I wouldn't eat there if you're saving a couple bucks. I think if you're seeing an IMAX movie then it's like getting the food for a buck so it's not too bad then. I might do this in the future.

Anyways, you guys can stop telling me how stupid I am now. :p

I was a little annoyed at misinterpreting the offer, but I don't care that much. It was a wasted trip to the theatre, but I'll just go see the movie tomorrow at Tuesday rates.

Honestly I thought of that deal just the same way you did and was also disappointed when I knew it's not as I thought it was!
But with all the attack you endured I had to keep my mouth shut lol
So yeah it is confusing and I am very aware of the Scene points system!
You shouldn't feel that bad about yourself now :p

frequency

Ugh... speaking of poor customer service and Cineplex...

Reminded me of my ongoing issues trying to get a refund on cancelled orders with that terrible company. It's been like 5 weeks and they won't even talk to me now. Ignore emails, phone calls they just tell me to go away basically.

I'm going to have to go through PayPal and file a claim. Does anyone know how long that takes? My credit card was billed already and I'm really unhappy that I have to pay the extra for this cycle.

Picked up my copy of Tomb Raider after work. Once again the in-store reservation saved me, as the constantly understocked Robson store in Vancouver was all out of PS4 copies, but had plenty Xbone ones in stock. Good thing I reserved one this morning.

Picked up my copy of Tomb Raider after work. Once again the in-store reservation saved me, as the constantly understocked Robson store in Vancouver was all out of PS4 copies, but had plenty Xbone ones in stock. Good thing I reserved one this morning.

Surprised it's selling that much even though it's not totally a new game!
Planning on picking it up when it hits $40, had a lot of games to go through right now and Sony's sales on Vita and PS3 are not helping with the backlog!

kennah

Not sure if it is a deal or not but noticed in The Source (Winnipeg) today that MS points cards were $17 for the $20 one and $35 for the $40 one.

Layth

Are paid VPNs worth it? Something like HideMyAss.com cause I'd like to be able to get American Netflix on my tv or use Spotify. And how much would they slow my internet down? I'm on Shaw's 100 plan.

i-Jest

All of CanuckGaf in one place....this is our chance LeafsGaf.

On-topic: Anyone know of any good monitor deals?

What kind on Monitor you looking for? I know Memory Express has a sale going on for some of it's monitors. NCIX is also a good option.

What's the purpose of the meetup?? I already had my fill of meeting random internetz peeps, so wish you guys luck. Why don't you guys ask the Redflagdeals guys too, I'm sure there's more Van posters there :p
"Do you offer a group discount on this complimentary bread and water?"

Got a piece of mail yesterday from Cineplex. I guess they must have lost track of when those movie passes were going out because I got 2 with a copy of my invoice for my 2 orders. So for me, 2 orders, 4 movie passes! Not too shabby.

Entropia

No One Remembers

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
I can't create a post about it yet but I'm sure if it is useful information someone will...

Anyway, apparently EB Games is rising all of their new releases prices from $60 to $65.

explodet

Amazon.ca has been slacking lately - preordered the Monster Hunter Illustrations 2 artbook back in June and I've still gotta wait 3 weeks for it. Meanwhile they've got it in stock at Chapters/Indigo for the same price and in stock and they're promising to deliver it next week.

I guess it was naive of me to think I could get books from Amazon.

SickBoy

That Target deal is great, but I've already had (and traded) Killzone and Battlefield... Assassin's Creed looks great, but I've got Revelations and 3 sitting in my backlog and I know I'll never go back to them if I jump ahead.

PSN flash sale is on now till Friday!
Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall around $40
Injustice Gods Among Us: PS4 for $35, Vita for $21
Among some other sales, not the hottest but it's not bad!
I love Sony :)

UberTag

Not sure if I should pick PS4 or Vita version?
I've heard bad things about the Vita port of Injustice compared to other fighters on the platform. If you're predominantly going to be playing at home and have access to both versions, I would think the PS4 version is the way to go.

Remote play will still be an option for you if you want to game on the small screen.

Top Bottom