• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

A question to those in Winnipeg...

I'm looking for a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for Wii U. I'm wondering if any of you noticed it recently while browsing through the gaming section at any store. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just open the order and there's a button "cancel" on it but if there's one item already shipped then you can't cancel it anymore. You need it to return in-store.

Also, if you call up their Customer Service line they can cancel the order for you even if part of it has already shipped.

i-Jest

A question to those in Winnipeg...
I'm looking for a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for Wii U. I'm wondering if any of you noticed it recently while browsing through the gaming section at any store. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm tired as fuck after pulling an all-nighter but I'll try to make sense. I'm not from Winnipeg but have you tried searching FS website to make a reservation for an in store pick up? EB games might still have it. Check online inventory to see if it's stocked in stores.

I'm waiting to see which Canadian carrier is going to bring the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact over here before I make my next cell phone move. I've let my Fido contract run down, so I'm free to move whenever

I bet Rogers, though Bell has started carrying Sony phones.

Best would be the Sony store having unlocked ones.

Dazzler

I bet Rogers, though Bell has started carrying Sony phones.

Best would be the Sony store having unlocked ones.

I'll go unlocked if possible. I've got a sweet Fido deal right now for $45 a month with 6GB of internet, so ideally I'd like to not give it up

If anyone spots this phone for sale in Canada post up the details in here

Velkyn

Does anyone have any leads about PS4 stock in the ottawa area this week? I have nowinstock.net open, but they missed out on two local stores having stock this week, plus they don't have info on lots of other retailers.

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Now I definitely know what it feels like to be Albert Pennello, Heh.

You likely entered a Shop.ca code that gave you rewards credit. Those expire.

Yes, already confirmed that the $20 were from promotional gift cards that had expired. It's a confusing experience though so we're completely changing the way we do promotional rewards in the next few weeks.

For the record, we never removed anyone's rewards that they had earned through sharing or purchases. There was one small error which caused a handful of customers to have had some earned rewards removed in error, but we put them back in those customer's accounts almost as soon as we found out about the issue.

Also, about the customer support-- I mentioned it a few times here, but yes it sucked during the holidays because the amount of customers we had grew exponentially. We doubled our support team over the holidays and as of today customer response time should be within 24 hours as far as I know. At the busiest times our team was dealing with 1500+ customer support requests A DAY which was insane for a company the size of 35 people let alone the size of our support team.

i-Jest

A little off topic but since we were on the topic of cell phones and carriers this might be of intetest. For all you Nexus users out there google might be planning to discontinue the nexus line next year. Got this from droidfGAF via google plus and gmailhttp://bgr.com/2014/01/27/google-nexus-discontinued-rumor/#null

So back on topic. Anyone know of place in Toronto, or Canadian websites, selling the PS Vita Instant Games Collection Bundle?

Apathy

A little off topic but since we were on the topic of cell phones and carriers this might be of intetest. For all you Nexus users out there google might be planning to discontinue the nexus line next year. Got this from droidfGAF via google plus and gmailhttp://bgr.com/2014/01/27/google-nexus-discontinued-rumor/#null

So back on topic. Anyone know of place in Toronto, or Canadian websites, selling the PS Vita Instant Games Collection Bundle?

That's the one I had to search for when I bought mine back in November. The only place that had one was the EB games at Yonge and Steeles (not the one inside Centrepoint Mall but across the street on the East side of Yonge). Had to ask for it because they did not even have the display for that one out on the floor, only the one for the Walking Dead combo. At the time he said he had a few back there, but again this was in late October early November so not sure if they would even still have it, but it's so much more of a better deal than any of the other bundles out there. Good luck on your hunt.

Palehorse

If anyone is interested the Future Shop in Victoria Uptown got a shipment of PS4s today. They're not showing up online but they got 18 in this morning.

They won't hold a system for you or let you reserve for in store pickup, I had to take an hour off work and go down to buy one.

I'm tired as fuck after pulling an all-nighter but I'll try to make sense. I'm not from Winnipeg but have you tried searching FS website to make a reservation for an in store pick up? EB games might still have it. Check online inventory to see if it's stocked in stores.

Yes, I've tried FS, BB, EB, The Source, etc. I've tried every online store I can think of. That's why I was hoping maybe somebody saw it out in the wild. The search continues! Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it.

i-Jest

Yes, I've tried FS, BB, EB, The Source, etc. I've tried every online store I can think of. That's why I was hoping maybe somebody saw it out in the wild. The search continues! Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it.

Amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/Deus-Human-Revolution-Directors-Cut/dp/B00CHKAN2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390862831&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+u+deus+ex

EGM92

Any deals on monitor these days? Looking for around a 24-inch.

Where are you located? I have a Playstation 3D TV/Monitor that's been used once to check for dead pixels (none). If you're local I can give you a deal on it if you're interested (Located in Brampton/GTA)

Canon

Banned
Yes, already confirmed that the $20 were from promotional gift cards that had expired. It's a confusing experience though so we're completely changing the way we do promotional rewards in the next few weeks.

For the record, we never removed anyone's rewards that they had earned through sharing or purchases. There was one small error which caused a handful of customers to have had some earned rewards removed in error, but we put them back in those customer's accounts almost as soon as we found out about the issue.

Also, about the customer support-- I mentioned it a few times here, but yes it sucked during the holidays because the amount of customers we had grew exponentially. We doubled our support team over the holidays and as of today customer response time should be within 24 hours as far as I know. At the busiest times our team was dealing with 1500+ customer support requests A DAY which was insane for a company the size of 35 people let alone the size of our support team.
I don't mean during the holidays, I mean now. You can't call your company, they ask you to leave your name and phone number and then never call back. Your live chat is never available (actually I see you removed it entirely, so that's a start).

Employees have stated to numerous people that their money won't expire, and yet it has. Just check your Facebook, every post is regarding this. You have a C- from the BBB. RFD members have complained too.

Just give me my money back, I referred 2 people and now it's like that cost me money because I was waiting to purchase something worthwhile (your selection sucks, I'm not one to sugar coat anything). And I had no idea the codes would expire.

How hard would it be to email someone a day before something expires -- that we had no way of knowing about in the first place? You admitted in a PM that you're selectively enforcing when certain things expire - some do, some don't, but never on the correct date. But for a customer, seeing that money has been removed from their account without clear notice (and no mention of what specifically happened) just makes them lose all faith in that company. And I feel like I ripped off the people who were referred, by promoting you.

Great that you know you've been slipping up, but how about fixing it for me?

zroid

Banned
Well gee Cineplex... thanks for making your ad as misleading as possible.

That $19.99 movie+meal+1000ScenePts offer is actually just a $19.99 meal+1000ScenePts offer. You're basically paying $20 for a meal on the spot and getting 1000 points for later. Terrible. This is a good deal only if you're seeing an IMAX film.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

That $19.99 movie+meal+1000ScenePts offer is actually just a $19.99 meal+1000ScenePts offer. You're basically paying $20 for a meal on the spot and getting 1000 points for later. Terrible. This is a good deal only if you're seeing an IMAX film.
Well, of course they want you to come back again. I suppose you could just get a refund and then buy another ticket though?

UberTag

Those 1000 Points will also get you access to VIP tickets and/or D-BOX tickets.
It's not just an IMAX perk.
But yeah, you're barely breaking even if you're just using them towards a standard admission in most cities.

A movie costs $12 to $17.
1000 scene points is worth $12 to $17.
A meal (burger fries drink) costs over $10.

So why were you expecting to get a $35 - $50 value for $20?

zroid

Banned
A movie costs $12 to $17.
1000 scene points is worth $12 to $17.
A meal (burger fries drink) costs over $10.

So why were you expecting to get a $35 - $50 value for $20?

Because that's what the ad implied. I thought it was a good deal, as opposed to a non-deal. It SEEMED LIKE $20 was for a movie+meal, and the 1000 SCENE points were a limited time bonus perk.

Going to play devil's advocate here.

Shop.ca won't give you your "money" back. They're likely inundated with similar complaints, and considering how generous they were with previous promotions (and probably lost tons of money as a result) I don't think they're in a particularly giving mood right now.

Plus they have no incentive to give you their money back. You weren't spending money with them. Why take a $20 hit when you'd likely get something for free/cheap and never shop there again due to the horrendous customer service? Sure you'd tell everyone not to bother with them, but who isn't?

That's why they mass-cancelled the Swiss Chalet codes and just shrugged when people complained. Anything "good" they put on the site sells out at a fraction of the retail price due to people hoarding reward codes with multiple accounts (see all the RFD threads).

It's not profitable. That's why they're cancelling any "free" orders and ignoring people with negative/zero rewards balances. They're not the customer base shop.ca is aiming for. They want people who will buy from them consistently without stacking codes/rewards and referring real people (instead of self-referring).

TL;DR: shop.ca is a total gongshow, but you're not getting anything back.

I don't mean during the holidays, I mean now. You can't call your company, they ask you to leave your name and phone number and then never call back. Your live chat is never available (actually I see you removed it entirely, so that's a start).

Employees have stated to numerous people that their money won't expire, and yet it has. Just check your Facebook, every post is regarding this. You have a C- from the BBB. RFD members have complained too.

Just give me my money back, I referred 2 people and now it's like that cost me money because I was waiting to purchase something worthwhile (your selection sucks, I'm not one to sugar coat anything). And I had no idea the codes would expire.

How hard would it be to email someone a day before something expires -- that we had no way of knowing about in the first place? You admitted in a PM that you're selectively enforcing when certain things expire - some do, some don't, but never on the correct date. But for a customer, seeing that money has been removed from their account without clear notice (and no mention of what specifically happened) just makes them lose all faith in that company. And I feel like I ripped off the people who were referred, by promoting you.

Great that you know you've been slipping up, but how about fixing it for me?

I had a bitch of a time getting a refund from them as well. While I did eventually get it, it took well over a month and for me to personally contact InfinityBCRT here to get it done (which was very kind of him). I'm convinced if I didn't bug him myself to get someone to help me, I still wouldn't have my money back.

I totally sympathize with being backlogged with customer complaints, but I also don't really care when my own money is at stake. Plus, being backlogged with thousands (!) of complaints is kind of a sign that there might be some inherent problems with the business.

I am a firm believer that customer service is what will bring people back in the long run. Of all the things to not skimp out on, it's that. Many, many people will keep coming back if they have a good customer service experience. Despite the fact that I got my money back in the end, I will personally never shop there again solely because I have literally never had such a rough time dealing with a return. It was honestly a brutal experience. If at any point during my ordeal I was able to communicate with a person and just hear "I know this is taking a long time, and I'm sorry but it's going to take a bit longer. We are swamped here because of the holidays, but I promise we haven't forgotten about you", I would've been happy. As it stands, there is a loooooot of competition out there for my money. Dozens and dozens of stores, sites, and deals.

zroid

Banned
Can I see the ad? I've only seen what they've advertised in-theatre.

mealandamovie_header_en.jpg

Says you're paying $19.99 for a "meal and a movie", and it "includes" 1000 SCENE points which is a "free" movie.

No... you're paying $19.99 for a meal and 1000 SCENE points. It's not a free movie. :\

Says you're paying $19.99 for a "meal and a movie", and it "includes" 1000 SCENE points which is a "free" movie.

No... you're paying $19.99 for a meal and 1000 SCENE points. It's not a free movie. :\

I don't mean to sound belittling, but that's the least confusing ad I've ever seen. Why would they give you a meal, a free movie ticket, and 1000 scene points? They are simply explaining where this free movie is coming from.

No... you're paying $19.99 for a meal and 1000 SCENE points. It's not a free movie. :
1000 points is a free movie at cineplex, so I honestly have no idea what you're complaining about. Luckily, it looks like no one else does!

zroid

Banned
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guys, you're paying for the points, so the movie isn't really free. It's poorly phrased. I'm actually shocked because I thought everyone was on the same page as me here. Serves me right for being too optimistic, I guess.

edit: what they SHOULD have said is "Use the 1000 points to claim your movie", or something to that effect. Not FREE MOVIE!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guys, you're paying for the points, so the movie isn't really free. It's poorly phrased. I'm actually shocked because I thought everyone was on the same page as me here. Serves me right for being too optimistic, I guess.

"get a meal & a movie for only $19.99"

The blurb on the side simply explains the specifics. No different from a product being advertised for a certain price and a blurb on the side saying "after mail in rebates"

Sora_N

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: what they SHOULD have said is "Use the 1000 points to claim your movie", or something to that effect. Not FREE MOVIE!

Don't you save a little bit with that combo? Even if you do pay for the points?

zroid

Banned
Don't you save a little bit with that combo? Even if you do pay for the points?

Not sure how much the meals cost regularly, but you probably do save a bit. I think the food is way overpriced anyway, so I wouldn't eat there if you're saving a couple bucks. I think if you're seeing an IMAX movie then it's like getting the food for a buck so it's not too bad then. I might do this in the future.

Anyways, you guys can stop telling me how stupid I am now. :p

I was a little annoyed at misinterpreting the offer, but I don't care that much. It was a wasted trip to the theatre, but I'll just go see the movie tomorrow at Tuesday rates.

I was referring mainly to the support ticket requests (which I do have insight of as the queue now is almost nothing compared to before). As far as calling back, again it should be better now as those go into the support ticket queue and now that it's low the agents should be calling people back in a timely manner.

How hard would it be to email someone a day before something expires -- that we had no way of knowing about in the first place?
There should have been an expiry date on the card or website that you got the code from.

The people who are on facebook were mistaken about the promotional rewards policy. But we shouldn't have people on facebook stating inaccurate information and that's on us. But like I said, given the system, it was easy to be mistaken. People were passing around codes without the expiry dates or even what campaigns the codes were from which made things even more muddy. And that's why we're completely changing it, we don't want this to happen again. It was bad, and we're fixing it. We'll also make sure that people who are on social media for us are completely aware of our promotional policies going forward.

As far as the C- from the BBB-- we've resolved all issues except one which is a customer who doesn't want resolution from what I was told. And the C- is more due to the length of time we've been in business. We've been around for about 18 months.

If you're talking about video game selection, I agree it's not great. It's a long process to be able to improve that selection. Sony in general has had a pretty good relationship with us so you should see most of their stuff on our site in better quantities. We're working on the rest of the selection. We finally have Nintendo hardware which also is a step forward IMO.

You admitted in a PM that you're selectively enforcing when certain things expire - some do, some don't, but never on the correct date.
We didn't expire promotional campaigns which are still active, or campaigns that we had already winded down. Expiry didn't happen on the exact date that was mentioned but we made sure not to expire codes before the date we stated for those codes.

But for a customer, seeing that money has been removed from their account without clear notice (and no mention of what specifically happened) just makes them lose all faith in that company?
I do agree that it could have and should have been messaged better. It does say "Promotional Rewards Expired", and I guess we thought people would understand that the codes they redeemed were promotional and not be as confused. But again, it's really the whole thing was not a great implementation from the start and what we put in it's place in a few weeks will be much better.

I had a bitch of a time getting a refund from them as well. While I did eventually get it, it took well over a month and for me to personally contact InfinityBCRT here to get it done (which was very kind of him). I'm convinced if I didn't bug him myself to get someone to help me, I still wouldn't have my money back.

I totally sympathize with being backlogged with customer complaints, but I also don't really care when my own money is at stake. Plus, being backlogged with thousands (!) of complaints is kind of a sign that there might be some inherent problems with the business.

It was a sign that we had increased our customer base but didn't scale up our customer support in time. We doubled the staff but by the time they got up to speed, the holiday season was over. And if you want to know what the complaints are-- many of them were just asking the exact date of when an item will ship (as the "X days to leave warehouse" wasn't good enough for them), or why hasn't one item shipped yet (many customers being unaware that we ship different items from different suppliers). Some were customers who put in the wrong address and needed it changed. Some people were trying to use coupons in the gift code page and vice versa. And many were people asking how to use the rewards as they didn't know how it worked. It wasn't something inherent with the business as much as it was us learning how to make things clearer on the site.

was anyone in vancouver able to find tomb raider ps4/xbone early over the weekend? i tried a few places, but no luck. i'll grab it tomorrow.

Yasumi

Banned
Huh, I got two more Cineplex movie tickets in the mail today. I was only expecting the one from my initial order, but I guess you get one for each set of orders? Neat.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The things I would do to be able to find a PS4 somewhere

mostly paying $450 for a console which currently has no must-have exclusives.

Top Bottom