• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Haines

Banned
Depends if you mind contracts. I think koodo is great if you dont like contract. I'm not a fan of what they charge per month feature wise. However I'm on retention for Bell.

Is there any good candian forums for cell phones and stuff? I know tons about games but nothing about cells and I think Im going to try and buy a used one on kijiji

Firestorm

I need to buy a smart phone today. Any tips? Should I do the contract thing to get one cheaper? Should I go Bell or Rogers?

Im brand new to getting my own phone.
Koodo / Fido / Virgin are the way to go. Stay away from the top tier labels. It's the same service at higher prices at this point.

Nexus 5 outright is the most economical / bang for buck imo.

SickBoy

Probably depends on what you're looking for but howardforums.com has active forums for all the providers...

(EDIT: And yeah, I agree with Firestorm. If it's your first phone you're going to get a better deal out of the gate with one of the "bargain" providers)

Magnus

Koodo / Fido / Virgin are the way to go. Stay away from the top tier labels. It's the same service at higher prices at this point.

I dunno dude, my buds in Toronto complain about Koodo and Virgin's network performance and quality all the time. The BF actually wants to switch to Bell or Rogers ASAP.

Price aside, I find Rogers' performance pretty fucking excellent in Toronto, actually.

Firestorm

I dunno dude, my buds in Toronto complain about Koodo and Virgin's network performance and quality all the time. The BF actually wants to switch to Bell or Rogers ASAP.

Price aside, I find Rogers' performance pretty fucking excellent in Toronto, actually.
Well, Virgin is just a re-named Bell so if he hates Virgin's network he probably shouldn't switch to Bell.
Google is selling Nexus 5. Where do they ship it? From the US? If so, will they charge custom tax?
US but I don't believe you'll get charged customs. My uncle didn't either time at least.

khaaan

You could look into Fido then, they're on Rogers network aren't they?

I live in the GTA and use Virgin and have used their service in multiple cities (but not Toronto) and never had an issue - well, outside of this one room in my university.

Haines

Banned

Im thinking of buying a used phone. Still Nexus 5? I want a good camera. I want to use it to take pics of my new son as well

iLLmAtlc

Do you guys have 7 Eleven Speakout? If you don't talk a lot it's a pretty sweet prepaid service because credit lasts for 1 year (minimum voucher $25). It's also on the Rogers network so you don't have to worry about signal.

Sora_N

Is there any good candian forums for cell phones and stuff? I know tons about games but nothing about cells and I think Im going to try and buy a used one on kijiji

I started out with HowardForums (shorthand HoFo) but I'm not an especially savvy phone user, you can browse around but I honestly don't think there's any GOOD deals right now because it's not back to school or Christmas or anything. The vanilla plans are pretty awful at the bigger companies (Telus / Bell / Rogers / etc.).

I wouldn't recommend getting a used one for your first one, but recommend you picking out a couple and checking out Youtube Reviews or web reviews for them to see if they suit your needs. Nexus 5 is definitely a good choice, got my dad a Nexus 4 and he already wants a 5 (it caused my Uncle to buy a N5 and then buy a few N4 for relatives too lol).

Personally using a Samsung Galaxy S4, though there were some crappy things about my phone.

Haines

Banned
I started out with HowardForums (shorthand HoFo) but I'm not an especially savvy phone user, you can browse around but I honestly don't think there's any GOOD deals right now because it's not back to school or Christmas or anything. The vanilla plans are pretty awful at the bigger companies (Telus / Bell / Rogers / etc.).

I wouldn't recommend getting a used one for your first one, but recommend you picking out a couple and checking out Youtube Reviews or web reviews for them to see if they suit your needs. Nexus 5 is definitely a good choice, got my dad a Nexus 4 and he already wants a 5 (it caused my Uncle to buy a N5 and then buy a few N4 for relatives too lol).

Personally using a Samsung Galaxy S4, though there were some crappy things about my phone.

Thanks for the info. helps a ton. Nexus 5 is being recommended to me on another forum as well so Im def taking a looksie into it. They said Google Store sells it for 350? I see some on kijiji for around 300.

RS4-

Whatever you do, do not get the n5 from any of the providers here. They only offer the 16GB version and its equal to/more than what the 32GB version costs on the Google store.

DJ_Lae

Thanks for the info. helps a ton. Nexus 5 is being recommended to me on another forum as well so Im def taking a looksie into it. They said Google Store sells it for 350? I see some on kijiji for around 300.

Yeah, it's $350 or $400 on the Google store, plus $16 or so for shipping (there is no free option). I paid about $440 for my 32GB one including tax.

It's my first android phone but I'm loving it. I also find it gets better reception than my old Windows phone (Nokia 710) which is a good thing on Wind where signal strength is a rare commodity.

Haines

Banned
Thanks guys. I think I just want the 16 gb version, but with barely using a phone much, I dont know how much space i really need.

Is it stupid to just not pay the extra 50 bucks for the 32 gb?

Looking at used seems completely unworth it, nobody wants to go under 300 for them and than whats the point..

EDIT: DO you guys recommend the bumper case they sell or should I go else where?

Haines

Banned
I bought the 16 gb Nexus 5, black, with a black LG cover case. watched a couple reviews on the case, they loved it but said it was too expensive. well, it will come with phone so its one less hassle to get and its 25% off right now, so im not concerned about maybe spending a few extra bucks too much in an almost 500 dollar purchase

I just want to say I appreciate the help and apologize for tying up a gaming forum thread on cell phones. I just know you guys are good for shit like this

Cheerilee

EDIT: DO you guys recommend the bumper case they sell or should I go else where?

If this is your first phone, then yes, I think you should get a case for it. When I got my first phone, I was a total butterfingers until I got used to handling it. And one drop can literally kill your phone.

Fake edit: And I see you got one. Good choice.

Lexxism

US but I don't believe you'll get charged customs. My uncle didn't either time at least.

Ah, good to know. I guess I'll just wait for any deal that Google might offering. Hopefully it will go on sale when my contract is over with Bell.

edit: EB aren't listing the BD CE anymore? Or I'm just blind?

Jinto

edit: EB aren't listing the BD CE anymore? Or I'm just blind?

Yeah, just checked, and it's not there. Weird. They still have other collector's editions on their site even though those have long been sold out. Wonder if that means anything.

RS4-

I bought the 16 gb Nexus 5, black, with a black LG cover case. watched a couple reviews on the case, they loved it but said it was too expensive. well, it will come with phone so its one less hassle to get and its 25% off right now, so im not concerned about maybe spending a few extra bucks too much in an almost 500 dollar purchase

I just want to say I appreciate the help and apologize for tying up a gaming forum thread on cell phones. I just know you guys are good for shit like this

Ah, I would've recommended that you don't buy accessories from Rogers, Bell, etc either and just get it on Amazon lol :(

Congrats anyway on the new mobile!

SickBoy

BTW, anyone who's looking to go for a totally new device/contract should consider the Moto G. At $200 or $150 via Telus or Koodo, it's probably the best bang for the buck available. There's a piece of advice that totally slipped my mind yesterday :)

Sora_N

BTW, anyone who's looking to go for a totally new device/contract should consider the Moto G. At $200 or $150 via Telus or Koodo, it's probably the best bang for the buck available. There's a piece of advice that totally slipped my mind yesterday :)

I helped my gf get one for her dad. Great phone for the price for sure.

Cineplex runs crazy deals fairly often, scene points and movie tickets get you into the theater and if you buy any snacks they are raking in profit

I'm also hoping Wind/my Galaxy Nexus survives until 700mhz is deployed by whoever acquires spectrum, I'm hoping there are some better deals when the new airwaves are in use =/

Magnus

Well, Virgin is just a re-named Bell so if he hates Virgin's network he probably shouldn't switch to Bell.US but I don't believe you'll get charged customs. My uncle didn't either time at least.

Is it really just re-named? I was under the impression it was Bell's network, but only privy to…lower performance tiers of the service. Like, bandwidth limitations (3G only, etc.) and other artificial limiters. I don't know the proper terminology to use, so I'm unsure how to communicate what I'm trying to say, sorry! :(

I'm also hoping Wind/my Galaxy Nexus survives until 700mhz is deployed by whoever acquires spectrum, I'm hoping there are some better deals when the new airwaves are in use =/

Oh great, thanks for reminding me. Wind Mobile pulled out of the spectrum auction, leaving zero viable competitors to the big three bidding for spectrum. In other words, we're all fucked.

i-Jest

Oh great, thanks for reminding me. Wind Mobile pulled out of the spectrum auction, leaving zero viable competitors to the big three bidding for spectrum. In other words, we're all fucked.

Gotta love that oligopoly. I can't believe these fuckers are still protected by the government but money talks.

Is it really just re-named? I was under the impression it was Bell's network, but only privy to…lower performance tiers of the service. Like, bandwidth limitations (3G only, etc.) and other artificial limiters. I don't know the proper terminology to use, so I'm unsure how to communicate what I'm trying to say, sorry! :(

They don't gimp the phones as far as I know

Canon

Banned
Here's a public service announcement:

SHOP.CA STEALS YOUR FUCKING MONEY.

I just saw this in my history:

Order Number: - Promotional Rewards Gift Expired - $20

Except the problem with that is
1) I never redeemed anything worth $20
2) There was no talk of expiration for anything
3) There was no notice informing me it would expire soon, which would help since I don't even know what this "promotional reward" they're talking about is.

This is the second time. The prior time they took back the $10 from Swiss Chalet because they couldn't tell which ones were legit or not (their own fault). But this time, there's no explanation for it. It doesn't even show an 'order number' that would indicate what it is, and the only thing I ordered was a PS4.

To top it off, their customer service is terrible (or non-existant). Stay away.

LGom09

Here's a public service announcement:

SHOP.CA STEALS YOUR FUCKING MONEY.

I just saw this in my history:

Order Number: - Promotional Rewards Gift Expired - $20

Except the problem with that is
1) I never redeemed anything worth $20
2) There was no talk of expiration for anything
3) There was no notice informing me it would expire soon, which would help since I don't even know what this "promotional reward" they're talking about is.

This is the second time. The prior time they took back the $10 from Swiss Chalet because they couldn't tell which ones were legit or not (their own fault). But this time, there's no explanation for it. It doesn't even show an 'order number' that would indicate what it is, and the only thing I ordered was a PS4.

To top it off, their customer service is terrible (or non-existant). Stay away.
Yep, horrible customer service. I returned an item to them recently. The tracking showed that it was delivered, but I didn't hear a peep from them until I emailed them 3 weeks later. Took another week after that to get the refund.

Canon

Banned
I want my money back, I'll order something I don't even want just so it won't "expire" again, then I'm done. But I'm not stopping until I get my money. The whole point of their site is that they charge retail prices but their 'rewards' make it worth while. If they can be removed at any time without merit, it's a useless site at best, an illegal scam at worst.

EGM92

I want my money back, I'll order something I don't even want just so it won't "expire" again, then I'm done. But I'm not stopping until I get my money. The whole point of their site is that they charge retail prices but their 'rewards' make it worth while. If they can be removed at any time without merit, it's a useless site at best, an illegal scam at worst.

And here I was going to post how I can get a DS4 for 49.99 like a user posted a couple of pages back. Alright thanks for changing my mind on that. I guess I'll wait until it's on sale in retails again.

Here's hoping someone can help me out. My contract with Bell ends in March, I'm not sure whether I should stay with them or switch to another provider. I'm looking to get a Galaxy Note 3 for my next phone, the agent that I was talking to at a Bell store said that I'd have to raise my contract up to a min of 70$ a month to get the phone. I currently have a contract of 45$/mo and I feel that's already too much for what I'm getting service-wise. Is there a way of getting a Note 3 without getting screwed over on a contract? I don't mind paying 100-200$ down for the phone, but I don't want to be paying 10-20x the phones cost over a 2year term due to a shitty subsidy contract.

Sora_N

And here I was going to post how I can get a DS4 for 49.99 like a user posted a couple of pages back. Alright thanks for changing my mind on that. I guess I'll wait until it's on sale in retails again.

Here's hoping someone can help me out. My contract with Bell ends in March, I'm not sure whether I should stay with them or switch to another provider. I'm looking to get a Galaxy Note 3 for my next phone, the agent that I was talking to at a Bell store said that I'd have to raise my contract up to a min of 70$ a month to get the phone. I currently have a contract of 45$/mo and I feel that's already too much for what I'm getting service-wise. Is there a way of getting a Note 3 without getting screwed over on a contract? I don't mind paying 100-200$ down for the phone, but I don't want to be paying 10-20x the phones cost over a 2year term due to a shitty subsidy contract.

Try calling other reps to see first? There may be some plans where you pay 300-400 for phone and 45-60 a month.

My plan was 400-75 for s4 in September and pay 45 a month.

Check Kijiji?

Do you want to save money now or later?

EGM92

Try calling other reps to see first? There may be some plans where you pay 300-400 for phone and 45-60 a month.

My plan was 400-75 for s4 in September and pay 45 a month.

All the phone reps that I've talked to while calling in were worthless, they basically said there was "no way" to get the phone for cheaper than 300$ without paying 70$mo. If I'm paying more than 400$ for a phone I might as well buy it out and go somewhere else. I asked if it was worth losing a customer that's been with them for over 6 years and they said their competition doesn't offer better service/phones than them and that's when I hung up the phone.

EGM92

Check Kijiji?

Do you want to save money now or later?

Buying a phone on kijiji is a pain in the ass, I did it with an S3 and have had nothing but problems with getting some service work done on it because the documentation shows a different name that it was registered to when purchased. I really don't want to have to go through that in the future.

Dazzler

I'm waiting to see which Canadian carrier is going to bring the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact over here before I make my next cell phone move. I've let my Fido contract run down, so I'm free to move whenever

I'm wondering when Shop.ca is going to have some PS4 games in stock; I've been waiting to buy NFS Rivals forever (have some credit at Shop.ca). I'm also potentially interested in Tomb Raider.

ahdurian

anyone whose been to an EB recently see Lightning Returns as "Available"?
I went into the EB in my area today, and they had the Available signs on them.
I thought it wasn't supposed to be out for another 2-3 weeks...

Top Bottom