• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Sora_N

It's a cheap box, that's probably why it's so easily damaged. I just opened mine and enjoyed the game instead of exchanging.

Jinto

^

Ya, I know, but the box is so nice. I wanted to put it on top of my shelf. Ah well.

NlNx0D8.jpg

^

Ya, I know, but the box is so nice. I wanted to put it on top of my shelf. Ah well.

NlNx0D8.jpg

Sucks man... Last time I got a pretty collector box like that at EB the guy at the counter gave me a damaged box. I had him show me like 10 boxes and finally one of them was good enough for me. Sucks that they make pretty CE edition with cheap boxes... Often it's the way it's packaged at the factory I guess. The box is cheap and the plastic wrap around it is so tight that it damages the box pretty quickly if not instantly!

Riptwo

If anyone else is sitting on an extra BD CE (unlikely as that may be), I'm in the market for one. Zero luck hitting all of the shops today!

I am so sick of Future Shop (and Best Buy)'s fucking bullshit. I'd managed to forget that Future Shop marks all their packages as "DO NOT DROP SHIP," which means I always have to pick my packages up from the post office. I HAVE A FUCKING CONCIERGE, YOU ASSHOLES. GIVE IT TO THE FUCKING CONCIERGE. Don't make me guess when I have to go to the post office and oh maybe my package is there or maybe I have to come back on Monday to pick up Bravely Default but hey maybe it won't be there then either because Canada Post is starting to suck more too.

The best part? The post office is UNDERNEATH A FUCKING FUTURE SHOP. Christ. I'm going to run out the rest of these E3 pre-orders and then those guys can fuck themselves.

ohlawd

EB handled my BD CE well. No dents, no nothing.

I did more damage to it cuz fuck tape. I tried using a ruler, scissors and a pencil to puncture the seal. Then I finally remembered I have a box cutter lol

Gxgear

there's a receipt for the purchase inside the order page when you look it up on their website. you don't need it though. if you go to futureshop with the game and your credit card, they swipe the card and your order comes up on the screen.

yeah, don't worry about it printing it. just bring the game and the card used to purchase it.

The ones who knows what they're doing can pull the numbers right off the label on the shipping package.

Socreges

Banned
I love you guys, I really do...but I gotta say that I can't wait for the game to come out so that this thread is no longer the Canadian OT for BD!
Every popular game gets the same treatment here around its release. Kind of weird behaviour, imo, but I suppose some people are just anxious/excited about when they're going to receive their game.

I am so sick of Future Shop (and Best Buy)'s fucking bullshit. I'd managed to forget that Future Shop marks all their packages as "DO NOT DROP SHIP," which means I always have to pick my packages up from the post office. I HAVE A FUCKING CONCIERGE, YOU ASSHOLES. GIVE IT TO THE FUCKING CONCIERGE. Don't make me guess when I have to go to the post office and oh maybe my package is there or maybe I have to come back on Monday to pick up Bravely Default but hey maybe it won't be there then either because Canada Post is starting to suck more too.

The best part? The post office is UNDERNEATH A FUCKING FUTURE SHOP. Christ. I'm going to run out the rest of these E3 pre-orders and then those guys can fuck themselves.

I won't even mention the table where you can pick up your online orders in the FS

I won't even mention the table where you can pick up your online orders in the FS

Online pre-orders. FS/BB don't allow you to get them shipped to a store. Oh god, if they did I would completely reverse my position, as I have no problem picking it up from a store on my way home from work. I just resent the whole expectation that I be home the entire day just to wait for a mailman, or else have to trudge home, pick up the stupid card, trudge back to the post office, hope the clerk is nice enough to let me have my package before the stated "COME BACK TOMORROW AT 1PM" time (assuming the package is even there, which 80% of the time it is but today was NOT), and then trudge back home. At some point, I think I'd be willing to spend the extra $20 (or less!) and pay full price just to not have to deal with this bullshit.

Jinto

Sucks man... Last time I got a pretty collector box like that at EB the guy at the counter gave me a damaged box. I had him show me like 10 boxes and finally one of them was good enough for me. Sucks that they make pretty CE edition with cheap boxes... Often it's the way it's packaged at the factory I guess. The box is cheap and the plastic wrap around it is so tight that it damages the box pretty quickly if not instantly!

It sucks, indeed. The box was pretty much why I went for the CE edition. I should have checked the box when I was in the store. I'll know for next time, at least.

Worse than mine. :/ I think mine is okay actually.
2014-02-04115937_zpsf44431f1.jpg

Yeah, yours is hardly noticeable. At least the damage on mine is on the bottom, so I can still put the box on my shelf with other stuff in front of it. Congratulations on winning the PS4, btw. One of these days I'm gonna win one of those $100 gift cards EB is supposedly giving out for filling out their surveys.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
k this isn't really a question for Gaming, but for Canada-GAF in general

how do you guys file your taxes? What's the best/cheapest way?

Leeness

Download a free tax program on the CRA site, do that, e-file. It was free for me last year. Not sure if it was a ~first year free~ thing, but it's super easy anyway.

iLLmAtlc

I've been using Studio Tax for 4-5 years, hasn't failed me yet. It's free regardless of income and it's on the government list of certified software*:

http://www.studiotax.com/en/

* apparently the certified version isn't available yet but you can see the list of certified software from last year:

http://netfile.gc.ca/sftwr2013-eng.html

Smiley90

ufile

Free for students and those with low incomes. Dirt cheap for everyone else.

Download a free tax program on the CRA site, do that, e-file. It was free for me last year. Not sure if it was a ~first year free~ thing, but it's super easy anyway.

I've been using Studio Tax for 4-5 years, hasn't failed me yet. It's free regardless of income and it's on the government list of certified software*:

http://www.studiotax.com/en/

* apparently the certified version isn't available yet but you can see the list of certified software from last year:

http://netfile.gc.ca/sftwr2013-eng.html

Important note: I'm not Canadian, which is why I can't use many of the electronic file system established by the province (BC). I'll check them out, though, thanks!

Do they also work for past years? I still need to file 2012 too.

Don't judge me, they don't even send me the goddamn tax files.

isny

napkin dispenser
Important note: I'm not Canadian, which is why I can't use many of the electronic file system established by the province (BC). I'll check them out, though, thanks!

UFile will file your taxes for any year.

iLLmAtlc

Yes you can download StudioTax 2012 to file last year's tax return.

I don't think you can use NETFILE (electronic tax submission serrvice) since it's apparently your first return.

However, I don't think that will stop you from doing your tax return on StudioTax and printing all of the relevant pages, I think I've done that before.

http://netfile.gc.ca/rstrctns-eng.html

ElNino

Are you a permanent resident in Canada? I'm not a Canadian citizen, but I am a permanent resident, and I have used UFile for the last five years or so.

Firestorm

Anyone have headset recommendations? My old Sennheiser HD555s broke (issues with the wire) and I broke my $4 Zalmann mic from NCIX so I need a solution for playing PC games with friends =/

Smiley90

Are you a permanent resident in Canada? I'm not a Canadian citizen, but I am a permanent resident, and I have used UFile for the last five years or so.

Not a permanent resident.

It's not my first filing though, I've filed before. (Just not electronically)

L Thammy

Weird question: is there anywhere in Toronto where I could get shitty PC games from the early noughties? Or am I stuck using Ebay for that kind of thing?

mdubs

Banned
Heads up everyone, all the preorders for ps4 first party games (and destiny) at future shop and best buy have gone up to $69.99.

Yawnier

Banned
Heads up everyone, all the preorders for ps4 first party games (and destiny) at future shop and best buy have gone up to $69.99.

Blechhhhh, it's going to take forever for prices to drop back down to $60 once the dollar becomes strong again won't it?

i-Jest

Blechhhhh, it's going to take forever for prices to drop back down to $60 once the dollar becomes strong again won't it?

I want to say that's probably right. In truth, I really don't know how long it's going to take for prices to drop once we reach parity again.

Top Bottom