• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Ryne

Wow, prices really went up, terrible.

I ended up getting my BD CE from BestBuy is pretty good condition. There is a very slight bend down the middle, but it got here without any bad bruises. They shouldn't have shipped it in a bubble mailer though.

Day 1 purchases will be expensive. I cancelled preorders at all retailers that raised prices this month.

Will be buying from big box grocery stores now, or online - they seem to be holding the line on prices.

Or just wait a few weeks, and buy used or wait for a sale.

torontoml

Guess it's a good thing I pre-ordered a bunch of games during the last e3 sale. Those prices won't change right?

My preorders:

Infamous
Driveclub
Watch Dogs
The Order
Mirror's Edge
The Division

I-hate-u

So will the prices go down once the economy stabilizes or what? I vaguely recall something like this happening years ago. I might be wrong though.

Tagg9

Heads up everyone, all the preorders for ps4 first party games (and destiny) at future shop and best buy have gone up to $69.99.

G4QbkbX.gif

mdubs

Banned
Let's all just hold out hope that there is a half-decent E3 deal this year. That has been a lifesaver. It's worth pointing out that ebgames has raised their prices on a wider range so I'd still rather buy from anywhere but there. Hopefully Amazon holds out for a while longer, I preordered Destiny from them just to lock in the price at $59.

MercuryLS

Banned
Heads up everyone, all the preorders for ps4 first party games (and destiny) at future shop and best buy have gone up to $69.99.

Fuck. No.

Better not mess with my E3 pre-orders at $40 a game. At $70 retail for new games, I will be buying a lot less games at release this gen.

MercuryLS

Banned
How long until the PS4 price gets bumped up to $450? Right now with the conversion rate Sony is only getting $363 USD. I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest price for the PS4 in the world and they're losing quite a bit on it (while profiting from UK/EU territories no doubt).

I was speaking with a couple of mom & pop retailers and they say that the distributors haven't raised prices on their end. They see this as a reaction to the dollar and an excuse to raise prices when there isn't a need to.

I was speaking with a couple of mom & pop retailers and they say that the distributors haven't raised prices on their end. They see this as a reaction to the dollar and an excuse to raise prices when there isn't a need to.

A fantastic reason to start buying your games from mom & pop stores, I think! I'll probably start checking out A&C and Game Centre in Toronto a lot more often (and maybe even VGP, despite their credit card security leak a while back).

Joeku

Just got a PS4 from Target in Pickering (we received 2 total). I should have gotten in on that $34.99 PS4 game sale last week. Dang.

At least Resogun is pretty fun.

terrible

Banned
The jokes on them. Instead of buying games at launch I'll just wait for a price drop. Instead of getting more money they get less! With a backlog as big as most of have it's pretty easy to wait a few months.

This is some messed up shit!!
Not gonna be easy decision to buy full prices games anymore, not like I always paid full price but still!
They will eventually give up and discount the games two weeks after release!

This is some messed up shit!!
Not gonna be easy decision to buy full prices games anymore, not like I always paid full price but still!

Yea, I was thinking the same. I think that the only games that I could pay 69.99$ for are Final Fantasy XV and MGS5. I would add Dark Souls 2 if I was into it as much as I should have been. I am very happy that I went overboard with FS and E3 and almost ordered everything that was available, telling myself that I would just return what I don't want in the end.

This is why I pre-ordered MLB 14 The Show a few weeks ago.........

I have a lot of 40 dollar games pre-ordered for the next 2 years

If only Tsilon was still alive

And trade in deals need to come back =/

Joeku

Man, Tsilon was so rad...

Stupid Canada getting stupid about stupid video games now.

In other news, ACIV is pretty damn good looking. Might start looking into a Vita to play it on the poop deck.

i-Jest

A fantastic reason to start buying your games from mom & pop stores, I think! I'll probably start checking out A&C and Game Centre in Toronto a lot more often (and maybe even VGP, despite their credit card security leak a while back).

Basically this. If anything, I'll buy my games used despite the terrible condition some of them maybe in. I don't have the funds to be buying $70 games new. Thanks to the Futureshop After Hours Sales last year I got almost all the games I wanted to get at a discount. Lets hope we get some kickass sales this year; at the current price point I see games, I'm not surprised if we see some good sales to clear inventory that's clearly not moving.

EDIT:

Please don't raise hardware prices. Who would have thought not being an early adopter would bite you in the ass

Don't think hardware prices will rise. As far as I know they usually drop over time, never rise. They're advertised at a certain price point and go down over time. Just like an automobile I guess. They depreciate over time. If prices for consoles rose, then manufacturers couldn't recoup there losses on software as profitably as they once did. Same thing with retailers, who's going to buy an extremely expensive console to purchase equally expensive games at a rate that makes retailers an acceptable profit?

There'll be a lot less impulse buying now with the higher prices. Good time to work through the backlog anyways.

I bet the E3 sale this year will be something like $55 or $50 per title. When the regular price is $70, this would be accepted (although there would still be a lot of negativity online).

nordique

Hmm

Good thing I have a large backlog.

Hopefully by the time that's done, the game prices will come back down.

Either that, or sales.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, for Ontarians, that makes games 80 bucks. lol

I'm still a mark for JRPGs, I think I'm more than willing to just wait for price drops on most games now.

You guys should go all digital this gen if the parameters work for you. I know it might be tough due to HD space, but if you find someone else who has the same console and game tastes as you, you can buy a PS4 digital game for $60 (or less if there's a sale on Amazon's PS4 store) and split the cost.

Cheaper than buying a physical game in Canada and trading it in later.

Funny thing is I have a bunch of PS4 games preordered through the E3 sale at Futureshop and I probably won't cancel them now, since I can sell them for a little more than I paid and still save someone out there $10+.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
anyone in Winnipeg been able to find a PS4 lately? everywhere i check they have none, or the get "2 or 3 a week and sell out within an hour of opening" while I'm at work

Joeku

You guys should go all digital this gen if the parameters work for you. I know it might be tough due to HD space, but if you find someone else who has the same console and game tastes as you, you can buy a PS4 digital game for $60 (or less if there's a sale on Amazon's PS4 store) and split the cost.

Cheaper than buying a physical game in Canada and trading it in later.

Funny thing is I have a bunch of PS4 games preordered through the E3 sale at Futureshop and I probably won't cancel them now, since I can sell them for a little more than I paid and still save someone out there $10+.

This makes me wonder: have any of the big 3 talked about raising prices to the new standard? Or is MSRP staying at the American prices?

Lord knows what Steam adding Canadian funds is going to do to us...

Looks like last E3 deals are even more precious now! I'm glad I preordered most of the games I think I'll ever consider buying this year!
Also I consider it a further push towards going digital, now with any deal Sony might have on PSN it'll be much more attractive, I mean any spend $50 get $10 or direct discounted games will be a hit.
Why don't freakin Harper subsidize video games? lol

SickBoy

If you're trolling around retail every week to find a PS4, why not order from Amazon?

Speaking of Amazon, when it became clear retailers were jacking up the prices on games, I preordered a copy of Destiny. Not sure I even wanted it, but figured I should lock in a price I'm happier with.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Nope. From regent to st james i havent found one yet.

sigh! I think Canada as usual is low on the priority scale for stock. Oh well, I'm picking up the LE of Infamous just so I don't miss out on that version but I may just wait til next year for the PS4 itself then at this point, as that's the only game I'm interested in (already finished Tomb Raider on Ps3)

i-Jest

This makes me wonder: have any of the big 3 talked about raising prices to the new standard? Or is MSRP staying at the American prices?

Lord knows what Steam adding Canadian funds is going to do to us...

Exactly. Not even PC gamers are going to be safe. All digital or not, we are going to feel it for the next bit. Get those gift cards ready guys and gals. Also, what's stopping Sony and MS from raising prices on PSN/XBLA for Canadians?

Looks like last E3 deals are even more precious now! I'm glad I preordered most of the games I think I'll ever consider buying this year!
Also I consider it a further push towards going digital, now with any deal Sony might have on PSN it'll be much more attractive, I mean any spend $50 get $10 or direct discounted games will be a hit.
Why don't freakin Harper subsidize video games? lol

Harper doesn't considered it priority to subsidize games. He's to busy counting his oil sand money :p

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How many of you consistently purchased games for $60 prior to the price hikes? I'm not talking an impulse purchase that one time you stumbled into Futureshop in a drunken stupor.

-Deimos

In other news, ACIV is pretty damn good looking. Might start looking into a Vita to play it on the poop deck.

I think epn.tv is supposed to replace tsilon. You can register to "be first in line for a special VIP beta invite".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How many of you consistently purchased games for $60 prior to the price hikes? I'm not talking an impulse purchase that one time you stumbled into Futureshop in a drunken stupor.
I still buy JRPGs because they disappear, but now that a lot of them are making it to the store (and the fact that Xillia was like 10 bucks last month) is making me reconsider that stance entirely.

Eleuin

what happened to that place? I remember getting my free game (ssx :/) and using a few other promo codes but then I just stopped visiting it..

People used to post the dailies here everyday lol

what happened to that place? I remember getting my free game (ssx :/) and using a few other promo codes but then I just stopped visiting it..

People used to post the dailies here everyday lol

It's pretty much dead! No deals, no nothing!
Let's just hope trade-in offers come back!

I realize that a new Canadian Deal Thread 4 is due soon, just in time for our new lovely price bump! Can't wait to see what we'll come up with for title...

It's pretty much dead! No deals, no nothing!
Let's just hope trade-in offers come back!

Edit: any of those 2 sentences would work... haha (nah, we'll still get good deals! Target proved it just a week ago!)

zroid

Banned
I realize that a new Canadian Deal Thread 4 is due soon, just in time for our new lovely price bump! Can't wait to see what we'll come up with for title...

Edit: any of those 2 sentences would work... haha (nah, we'll still get good deals! Target proved it just a week ago!)

"Pining for the good ol' days" seems more appropriate now than ever :p

Top Bottom