• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Sora_N

Just got a PS4 from Target in Pickering (we received 2 total). I should have gotten in on that $34.99 PS4 game sale last week. Dang.

At least Resogun is pretty fun.

Me too. I have no idea what to buy. I dont want to pay full price. :/

Only Knack and KZ are 39.99

i-Jest

I think epn.tv is supposed to replace tsilon. You can register to "be first in line for a special VIP beta invite".

Is there a thread for this yet? I know the Tsilon thread may as well be dead but it would be nice to have a dedicated thread for this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Has tsilon done anything recently? I checked the thread religiously for like a year plus straight and eventually gave up.

Jinto

I think the last time I spent over $80 on a new game was this:

SKEZm8S.jpg

I guess with collector's editions and such, this is gonna be commonplace now. Hopefully, Target continues with their deals. Most of my 3ds collection is from their buy 2 get 1 free deal. Same with my PS4 games from their recent sale.

ohlawd

yeah only thing I'll pay 70 for are console JRPGs. I mean, all our favorite cinematic bullshit games drop their price in a couple months anyway. It's not gonna kill me to wait.

I'll still pay full price for handheld games since that's where my tastes line up.

i-Jest

I think the last time I spent over $80 on a new game was this:

I guess with collector's editions and such, this is gonna be commonplace now. Hopefully, Target continues with their deals. Most of my 3ds collection is from their buy 2 get 1 free deal. Same with my PS4 games from their recent sale.

GEEEZZZ, dat classic.

Vibranium

Banned
Good thing Walmart and Target still haven't raised their prices. There's still hope for properly-priced titles if you don't care about silly game bonuses!

ohlawd

Good thing Walmart and Target still haven't raised their prices. There's still hope for properly-priced titles if you don't care about silly game bonuses!
I care, unfortunately.

errbody should go the Atlus route; 1st print run has a bunch of bonuses at standard price, no CE tax.

-Deimos

Is there a thread for this yet? I know the Tsilon thread may as well be dead but it would be nice to have a dedicated thread for this.

Don't think we need one yet since we have no information on it. Could be a huge waste of time.

Eh, if I had to guess it's the future of Electronic Playground and Reviews on the Run since G4 imploded more than a deal site.

Could be. I hope not, I joined tsilon late and never got any of the deals.

I
Edit: any of those 2 sentences would work... haha (nah, we'll still get good deals! Target proved it just a week ago!)

lol I know I was just replying about Tsilon being dead and the fact that trade-in offers are off for weeks now, but you're right Target has steeped up the last couple months, hopefully they will keep going and hopefully hoarders would die or burn somewhere to let people get their share of those deals lol

Thinking about buying a new laptop, had the Dell inspiron for nearly 3 years. Anyone know any laptop brands/models to look out for this year i should check out? i mostly use it for browsing, apps etc, not interested in the gaming side. Budget maybe under $650?

Zing

Banned
Thinking about buying a new laptop, had the Dell inspiron for nearly 3 years. Anyone know any laptop brands/models to look out for this year i should check out? i mostly use it for browsing, apps etc, not interested in the gaming side. Budget maybe under $650?

An iPad. I'm serious. If you already have a PC somewhere in the house to handle the mass storage needs, an iPad does everything you need. I sold my laptop in 2012 and have been using strictly an iPad ever since.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't think we need one yet since we have no information on it. Could be a huge waste of time.

Could be. I hope not, I joined tsilon late and never got any of the deals.
EPN.tv won't have any deals or anything like that (at least not like tsilon). The only thing you can really do there right now is watch the first season of Electric Playground. Don't expect anything good.

SickBoy

An iPad. I'm serious. If you already have a PC somewhere in the house to handle the mass storage needs, an iPad does everything you need. I sold my laptop in 2012 and have been using strictly an iPad ever since.

I like my iPad, but for some people the absence of Flash could be problematic. I think it's such a mass market device that really the onus is on web developers to ensure their sites are as usable on iPad as they are on a PC, but the sad truth is that not all sites are.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, though. I use my desktop computer for 90% of my "computer" needs, and generally my smartphone/iPad are my web devices when I'm around the house.

As for the original question, you can certainly get a suitable computer for under $650. My No. 1 priority in a laptop is an English keyboard, which puts Dell and ASUS closer to the top of the list, because they've got fewer models with bilingual keyboards.

frequency

I don't have an iPad. I have a Android tablet (ASUS Transformer). I wish I got a laptop instead. I find a tablet too limiting so I just never use it anymore.

I can't even do something like play a music video on YouTube and then switch to something else while listening to it.

So I guess you just have to consider how you would use it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EPN.tv won't have any deals or anything like that (at least not like tsilon). The only thing you can really do there right now is watch the first season of Electric Playground. Don't expect anything good.
Does it have any ties with tsilon? I mean, it was announced as a Victor Lucas project, so I was just assuming that it was EP being moved to the web. Because I don't even know where you can watch EP on TV nowadays.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Does it have any ties with tsilon? I mean, it was announced as a Victor Lucas project, so I was just assuming that it was EP being moved to the web. Because I don't even know where you can watch EP on TV nowadays.
No it doesn't. People just thought it would be because Lucas helped hype tsilon when it first started. It's why I said not to expect anything good.

EP Daily and Reviews on the Run are available on G4 Canada (6pm-7pm) and CityTV (1am-2am) M-F.

Kieli

I'm shaking my head at these pricing shenanigans. Where were the discounts when the loonie was worth nearly $1.50 US (rhetorical question, please don't answer it...)?

DasDamen

I'm shaking my head at these pricing shenanigans. Where were the discounts when the loonie was worth nearly $1.50 US (rhetorical question, please don't answer it...)?

The Canadian dollar never approached $1.50. I think it was worth about $1.10 for a very brief time before settling back down to par.

Zing

Banned
It also seemed to take an extraordinary amount if time for prices to align years ago when the currencies reached par. They seem rather quick to revert back.

It's probably not even in human hands. I suspect some algorithm is in place that automatically calculates prices based on rates.

Thanks for the mention about Mario Kart. I also checked Tropical Freeze and it is $5 more everywhere but Amazon. This is absurd.

…and Yoshi's New Island as well? For fuck's sake.

It also seemed to take an extraordinary amount if time for prices to align years ago when the currencies reached par. They seem rather quick to revert back.

It's probably not even in human hands. I suspect some algorithm is in place that automatically calculates prices based on rates.

Thanks for the mention about Mario Kart. I also checked Tropical Freeze and it is $5 more everywhere but Amazon. This is absurd.

…and Yoshi's New Island as well? For fuck's sake.

Price match Amazon at FS/BB for everything you possibly can, that's what I'm doing.

Videogamesplus is keeping US prices too I think.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Forget it, time to use Amazon. 69.99 for Mario Kart at BB.

I'm going to try price matching with Amazon.

What the... The WiiU isn't selling; you're supposed to lower the prices, not raise them!

This is ridiculous... And that massive price hike had to happen just as I'm going back to school and have almost no money... :(

Gxgear

$46.66 for pre-orders assuming the upcoming E3 deal proceeds as normal, I think that's reasonable for 1st day releases. My biggest concern would be retailers cheaping out on the first overall round of future price drops and set it at $49.99 or something.

iLLmAtlc

Price match Amazon at FS/BB for everything you possibly can, that's what I'm doing.

Videogamesplus is keeping US prices too I think.

You have any luck doing it in store? I tried to get a PM for MGS Ground Zeroes but was told they don't do it for pre-orders.

Also for anyone keeping track GZ is still holding steady at 30 for PS3/360 on Amazon.ca. I'll probably hope it stays that way until launch so I could PM then.

-Deimos

No it doesn't. People just thought it would be because Lucas helped hype tsilon when it first started. It's why I said not to expect anything good.

EP Daily and Reviews on the Run are available on G4 Canada (6pm-7pm) and CityTV (1am-2am) M-F.

You have to believe! Believe Fuzzy!

Ryne

You have any luck doing it in store? I tried to get a PM for MGS Ground Zeroes but was told they don't do it for pre-orders.

Also for anyone keeping track GZ is still holding steady at 30 for PS3/360 on Amazon.ca. I'll probably hope it stays that way until launch so I could PM then.

I tried online and this is what I was told:

Thank you for your email inquiry regarding a credit under our Lowest Price Guarantee for the Mario Kart 8 advertised on www.amazon.ca.

According to our terms and conditions, if the price of your item drops at the time of shipment, you will automatically pay the lower price. Your credit card will not be charged until the time of your product’s shipment. Since Mario Kart 8 has not been released yet we will not be able to process your request.

Please visit our Customer Service pages on Bestbuy.ca for further information on our Lowest Price Guarantee.

That doesn't even make sense. I tried for a price match! Maybe I'm reading incorrectly, but I want BB to match amazon's price, not to charge me whatever BB charges in the future.

zroid

Banned
$46.66 for pre-orders assuming the upcoming E3 deal proceeds as normal, I think that's reasonable for 1st day releases. My biggest concern would be retailers cheaping out on the first overall round of future price drops and set it at $49.99 or something.

It's not bad, but I would still be a lot more selective than at $39.99

MesH

Haven't yet!.....You can count on them doing the exact same thing, they keep prices competitive and watch the market, if prices are going up everywhere else theirs will also. Most likely sooner than later.
And on that note, I have canceled all current preorders, and went to amazon for every thing. Most likely gonna get Prime now also, most games are offering day one delivery on new games with 2 day shipping which is included with prime, and I am already an Amazon slut.

Lexxism

That doesn't even make sense. I tried for a price match! Maybe I'm reading incorrectly, but I want BB to match amazon's price, not to charge me whatever BB charges in the future.

I think that's there policy with pre-order. If you want to price match, you have to wait till they ship the item to you. That's the only time you can do the PM.

So now Best Buy wants $69.99 for Infamous Second Son...this is fking BS. How is a $10 increase on a confirmed single player only game that was $59.99 last week, justified? That's $80 bucks here in BC after taxes..well now im going digital for sure which is a shame because I usually like to trade or sell single player games after ive had my fill.

-Deimos

So now Best Buy wants $69.99 for Infamous Second Son...this is fking BS. How is a $10 increase on a confirmed single player only game that was $59.99 last week, justified? That's $80 bucks here in BC after taxes..well now im going digital for sure which is a shame because I usually like to trade or sell single player games after ive had my fill.

You can always try kijiji or ebay.

isny

napkin dispenser

You can always try kijiji or ebay.

Or just buy it on Amazon.ca for $59.99 and free shipping?

Top Bottom