• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

amrod

Superstore

Uncharted 3 & PlayStation®Plus Bundle $229

u8qHxXO.jpg

Today is also save double the GST (so 10% in alberta)

How is the build quality of new ps3s, I still have a launch

Looks like no stores in the KW area have TLOU. I didn't expect it to be this hard to find. I've only been able to check online though. I'll physically check stores after I leave work. Here's hoping!

I sent an e-mail to their support to try to get them to restore our orders. Maybe if more people do so they will realize this is going to be a major issue and do something about it.

I realize now I should've mentioned it'd be a problem affecting a lot of people when I called. Ah well.

Jessicat

Hey all, just wondering if you peeps think trading a BC PS3 [with a broken blu-ray drive ^^;] for some older consoles [NA & JP Dreamcasts & Saturn] is worth it? I don't really need more consoles but I dunno, are retro consoles harder to sell? o_O I kinda need cash either way, so whichever can get me more profit XD

zroid

Banned
I wouldn't care that much if they canceled my Zelda Wii U outright, as that won't be coming till 2015 or thereabouts and there'll be plenty of time for pre-order deals. But I definitely don't want to be stuck with two copies of Wind Waker HD for chrissake. :\

iphys

I want to trade in my Nintendo Land and Game & Wario while they still qualify for T2 for $60. Anyone ever have any problems trading in "Not for resale" games at FS/BB?

zroid

Banned
I want to trade in my Nintendo Land and Game & Wario while they still qualify for T2 for $60. Anyone ever have any problems trading in "Not for resale" games at FS/BB?

Is the bundled Nintendo Land actually marked not for resale? I don't remember that. Well either way, I traded mine to FS a few weeks ago. (Actually bought a new $20 copy to trade, but decided to keep that one for myself, and gave them the old copy)

I know there's a fairly large OttawaGAF contingent, just looking for some suggestions/advice regarding Canada Day. Planning on going down to Parliament Hill for most of, if not all of the day. Anything particular I should know about/do (other than don't drive downtown :p)?

schlew

Hopefully not too dumb a question, but has anyone had any luck switching their Canadian 3DS eShop to the American one? Kokuga is not available in Canada, and may never be. I just want to purchase this one game and switch back, but I'm not sure if this is even possible.

zroid

Banned
Hopefully not too dumb a question, but has anyone had any luck switching their Canadian 3DS eShop to the American one? Kokuga is not available in Canada, and may never be. I just want to purchase this one game and switch back, but I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Yup, I do it sometimes. It's straightforward. You switch country in the main system settings. The hard part is adding funds to the US eShop because it doesn't accept international credit cards.

What the what?! This is weird... Has their been an announcement from the developer about this? I planned to get that game soon... :/

I don't know what the reason is... I've kinda been assuming it was a logistical mistake. Japanese publisher with no experience dealing with North America and they might not have realized. I'm hoping it gets sorted out.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

What the what?! This is weird... Has their been an announcement from the developer about this? I planned to get that game soon... :/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I mailed them and there was some last minute complication apparently. They're planning on bringing it here but they don't have a timeline they said.

Embrace the digital future!

Actually G.rev clarified Kokuga:

Unfortunately, the game is not available in Canada at the moment. We were notified very late in the preparation process that we would not be able to release the game as is to the Canadian market. Frankly, we were quite surprised by this information.

We are currently looking at our options and hope to make it available in the future. However, we do not have a timeline at this point.

We are sorry to have disappointed you but hope you will understand. If we have any news about a Canadian release, we will let you know.

From Go Nintendo.

Wonder what's the reason?

Maybe they'll edit to make it Canada-friendly.

You now play as Captain Canada riding a moose shooting bacon everywhere. I'll take 20.

schlew

From their Facebook account...

"As a few visitors have written here, Kokuga is currently unavailable in Canada. We are sorry to have disappointed fans that had been looking forward to playing the game. To our surprise, just weeks ago in the final stages of preparation, we were notified of a certain regulation that prevented us from releasing the game as is to the Canadian market. We are looking at our options and hope to make it available to you in the future. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeline at this point and can only ask for your patience."

Kazerei

Banned
From their Facebook account...

"As a few visitors have written here, Kokuga is currently unavailable in Canada. We are sorry to have disappointed fans that had been looking forward to playing the game. To our surprise, just weeks ago in the final stages of preparation, we were notified of a certain regulation that prevented us from releasing the game as is to the Canadian market. We are looking at our options and hope to make it available to you in the future. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeline at this point and can only ask for your patience."

Boo ... is it possible to temporarily change eShop region to U.S.? I have a U.S. credit card so I could use that.

iphys

I don't understand what rule that could be that every other other game on the US eShop has been made available in Canada except this one. I guess if I want a copy I'll have to get my dad to pick up a US eShop card for me -- might not be a bad idea with some of the wonky pricing they've had of late either. Funny how they didn't mind charging us the same price when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar, but suddenly they want to charge us more now that the US dollar is worth slightly more. I wonder if it was just Canada or if the US also had the price of Puddle rise from $7.85 to $9.99.

iphys

Reply from FS customer service:

"Thank you for contacting Future Shop regarding the change in the pre-order of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. We can certainly understand not wanting to receive multiple copies of the same game.

Please be advised that Nintendo has pushed back the release of a new game for the Wii U, leaving only the re-release available for pre-order. At this time Nintendo doesn't have any release information for the new game. Please note that you do have the option to cancel one of the pre-orders for Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

If you sign in to your online account, you can see a list of all pre-ordered items and choose to cancel any of them.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

I only see one cancel button, and I somehow doubt it's going to give me the option to cancel individual games and don't want to take the chance on cancelling an entire order. They're lying that we cancel individual items ourselves aren't they?

iLLmAtlc

Superstore

Uncharted 3 & PlayStation®Plus Bundle $229

u8qHxXO.jpg

Today is also save double the GST (so 10% in alberta)

How is the build quality of new ps3s, I still have a launch

Slims are built a lot better inside IMO, though its a bit cheaper looking on the outside. The biggest plus is you won't believe how quiet it is, even when playing really graphics intensive games like last of us and la noire, it's barely noticeable. I made the switch summer 2012 so I'm not sure about long term durability, but for now I couldn't be happier with it.

Slims are built a lot better inside IMO, though its a bit cheaper looking on the outside. The biggest plus is you won't believe how quiet it is, even when playing really graphics intensive games like last of us and la noire, it's barely noticeable. I made the switch summer 2012 so I'm not sure about long term durability, but for now I couldn't be happier with it.

You're speaking specifically about the third gen console, right? The superslim?

I have $107 credit for gamestop and no joke do not want to use it on anything from that store. The ONLY thing I want to buy with that credit is maybe two $50 cards to re-up on ps+ for the future but they don't sell the cards online and I don't want to make any trip to their store.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

Oh nah I'm talking about the the first slim

Oh. From the looks of that grainy flyer scan I think it's a super slim in the box.

For the record, I just got one a couple months ago and I like mine, but having not had a PS3 previously I have nothing to compare it to.

I have $107 credit for gamestop and no joke do not want to use it on anything from that store. The ONLY thing I want to buy with that credit is maybe two $50 cards to re-up on ps+ for the future but they don't sell the cards online and I don't want to make any trip to their store.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.
I've got $187 in credit :/ I hate seeing so many good deals in places other than EB/GS. Just watching for a nice PS3 bundle then I'm going to jump on it.

Anth0ny

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

I've got $187 in credit :/ I hate seeing so many good deals in places other than EB/GS. Just watching for a nice PS3 bundle then I'm going to jump on it.

Personally when I get gift cards for EB Games I use them on consoles/portables. $100 off any console feels pretty pretty good.

I only see one cancel button, and I somehow doubt it's going to give me the option to cancel individual games and don't want to take the chance on cancelling an entire order. They're lying that we cancel individual items ourselves aren't they?

I would assume as much.

Tell me if you click that cancel button--I won't be doing it. Even if it then opens up another window allowing you to select certain items within the order to cancel that's a terrible UI design choice...

Gadirok

Personally when I get gift cards for EB Games I use them on consoles/portables. $100 off any console feels pretty pretty good.

Yeah, I had $25 laying around and I put it directly onto my PS4 preorder. I should have saved the other $50 that I was putting on MGS Legacy collection for the PS4 as well. Would have saved $17+ a few bucks if I preordered through Futureshop E3. Was too lazy to back out of my preorder though as its been in place for quite some time now.

Anyone see Muramasa Rebirth out in the wild yet?

I've seen it in a pair of Microplays so far, so it seems to be slowly getting out there.

I know there's a fairly large OttawaGAF contingent, just looking for some suggestions/advice regarding Canada Day. Planning on going down to Parliament Hill for most of, if not all of the day. Anything particular I should know about/do (other than don't drive downtown :p)?

Get ready for lots of drunken singing of O Canada. Also, there's a lull on the Hill between the morning show and the evening fireworks, so you should probably head over the Major's Hill Park for a bit...they usually have stuff going on there. And for the evening fireworks, if you want the best view, I found that behind the Supreme Court actually had a much better view than on Parliament Hill.

Oh, and taking the bus home after Canada Day is the worst. It's free, so it's packed full of drunk people, and you'll be waiting forever to be able to squeeze onto one. If you want to guarantee getting on one, it's usually best to wall down a couple of extra stops to avoid the downtown crush (if you're going west, Ottawa U is a safe bet, and eastbound you'd probably want to try, like, Bay).

+1 for Hinzel. On time, friendly, and knowledgeable. No problems at all. If you guys want SSDs I can vouch for him.

You may want to try the buy/sell/trade thread as well on gaming community side, the Toronto thread, and the build your own PC thread as well, hinzel. :)

Thanks dude, likewise!

Good luck with the gaming PC :)

Do Future Shop stores have any issue with combining gift cards? I want to combine them in store to use them online towards one purchase.

Do Future Shop stores have any issue with combining gift cards? I want to combine them in store to use them online towards one purchase.

I did it back when they had the $5 gift card Facebook promo and customer service didn't have any problems with it. Only took a second too.

Om3ga

Reply from FS customer service:

"Thank you for contacting Future Shop regarding the change in the pre-order of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. We can certainly understand not wanting to receive multiple copies of the same game.

Please be advised that Nintendo has pushed back the release of a new game for the Wii U, leaving only the re-release available for pre-order. At this time Nintendo doesn't have any release information for the new game. Please note that you do have the option to cancel one of the pre-orders for Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

If you sign in to your online account, you can see a list of all pre-ordered items and choose to cancel any of them.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Just return one of the copies of the game when you recieve both of them? Unless you are not near a futureshop. Avoid all risks of your full order being cancelled. Either that or call in and see if the can cancel part of your order.

online orders for Bestbuy only accepts 3 cards for payment (such as 1 credit card +2 gift cards)

I have been accumulating Gift Cards but I cannot used one more online to my pre-order.

So a pro-tip that they gave me is that I can go to the store and request them to combine multiple Gift Cards into ONE

Magnus

Worst case, use your GS credit to buy VISA prepaid cards? Sure, they have an activation fee, but consider it you paying a fee to liberate your credit from the store, hahahaha.

Greyvvolf

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.
You have a PC? They just started selling Steam cards at EBgames/GameStop in Canada.

khaaan

Oh hey, Future Shop does have a sale on the Wii U....
a free copy of freaking Twilight Princess with the purchase of a deluxe bundle

Oh hey, Future Shop does have a sale on the Wii U....
a free copy of freaking Twilight Princess with the purchase of a deluxe bundle

Hahahaha I just saw that in the flyer this morning and scoffed at it too. Weird deal considering if you didn't already own a Wiimote you wouldn't even be able to play it.

Get ready for lots of drunken singing of O Canada. Also, there's a lull on the Hill between the morning show and the evening fireworks, so you should probably head over the Major's Hill Park for a bit...they usually have stuff going on there. And for the evening fireworks, if you want the best view, I found that behind the Supreme Court actually had a much better view than on Parliament Hill.

Oh, and taking the bus home after Canada Day is the worst. It's free, so it's packed full of drunk people, and you'll be waiting forever to be able to squeeze onto one. If you want to guarantee getting on one, it's usually best to wall down a couple of extra stops to avoid the downtown crush (if you're going west, Ottawa U is a safe bet, and eastbound you'd probably want to try, like, Bay).
Awesome, thanks!

Gadirok

What have you guys been up to for the long weekend? This thread seems to be dull today.
Just finished the first playthrough of the last of us.

At this point I was supposed to trade it in or sell it. That was the promise I made myself when I preordered it for 40 so I could quickly make a return.

Now I want to do another playthrough on survivor and am about 15% in. Will probably keep the game at this point.

I dont usually do second playthroughs, or follow through with a playthrough at all once I finish a game. I just feel that I want to go through it again.

Mikey Jr.

What have you guys been up to for the long weekend? This thread seems to be dull today.

Was going to go to the beach, soak up some sun.

But some real fucking shitty weather in the GTA.

So I bought Dragon Age 1, installed a fuck ton of mods, and now I'm playing that.

Top Bottom