• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

No_Style

Reserved 4 steelbooks. (Halo 4, NSMB U, AC: Liberation, Skyward Sword). Finally got a case for my copy of AC:Liberation that I never played.

zroid

Banned
I ordered a $5 NSMBU steelbook for ~some~ reason

I may return it anyway. Fortunately all these steelbooks ship for free, no matter how much you spend.

krae_man

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl

So my girlfriend needs internet and I was thinking of getting her to try Teksavvy, but I have no experience with it. Is there any initial charges attached to it besides the plan per month? And how good is it, does anyone in Edmonton (or Canada in general) have any experience using it?

It's going to cost you about $150 to start with the Modem purchase and installation. You'll make that back soon enough only paying $40 for good internet speeds vs $60+ with Rogers/Bell oh and a way bigger cap too.

As for service. There are outages from time to time that last a few hours. Beats me why they happen, but they do.

RS4-

The longest time I've been without service from Teksavvy was a day or two, and this only happened maybe twice in the 5+ years I've been with them. As for outages because of Rogers or Bell doing repairs, at most maybe an hour or two. Doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's usually in the middle of the night.

And I don't think it was entirely their fault either, something happened with my DNS settings or some nonsense. The other occasion is something that happened on Bell & Rogers end.

If you can get an approved modem second hand from someone, go for it. Try to get a hold of the S/N & model number, call TS and check if it's ok and not blacklisted by Rogers or Bell.

Speed and service has been consistent across the board when I was originally on DSL, then switched to cable.

Jessicat

A couple of game deals I've found:

Best Buy has a bunch of new PSP games super cheap, last I checked they're available both online & in-store:
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror for $3.97
2-pack of Daxter and Secret Agent Clank for $4.97
Socom: Fireteam Bravo 3 for $4.97
Buzz! Master Quiz for $3.97
Plus a bunch more at $9.99, might be worth checking out if you still have a PSP~

Also, gamestreet.ca has Purr Pals: Purrfection for 3DS for $9.99 [it has a club nintendo code too]

And finally, The Source has Combat of Giants: DINOSAURS 3D for $9.96 [I don't know if this comes with a CN code, I got it because dinosaurs, lol]

Hope this helps~ :3

Also, have been with Teksavvy for a while after swiching from Rogers; MUCH better, no caps, don't think there's been any slowdowns/throttles, only once or twice the 'net can go weird, it did this past weekend for a couple hours, nothing too bad though, it was late at night. I'm located in Toronto Ontario, but I'd guess service is pretty good anywhere they offer it?

khaaan

So I was able to mission it out to a couple futureshops to check out their steel books...man, a lot of them are in terrible condition. The only ones that weren't scratched up were the ones still in plastic and the only ones still in plastic were Quake and Starcraft.

Neki

It's going to cost you about $150 to start with the Modem purchase and installation. You'll make that back soon enough only paying $40 for good internet speeds vs $60+ with Rogers/Bell oh and a way bigger cap too.

As for service. There are outages from time to time that last a few hours. Beats me why they happen, but they do.

Apparently she also has to pay an extra 14 dollars a month for a dry loop because she has no phone connection, so she's pretty wary of it. I get occasional internet outages with both Telus and Shaw, so that's not a deal breaker. So she's still deciding on it.

krae_man

Apparently she also has to pay an extra 14 dollars a month for a dry loop because she has no phone connection, so she's pretty wary of it. I get occasional internet outages with both Telus and Shaw, so that's not a deal breaker. So she's still deciding on it.

Yeah you have to do that if you're using DSL and don't have a home phone. Cable is not an option where you live?

Happy belated Canada Day!
Here at recovering Calgary they had to move the celebrations from Prince Island to Millennium Park, had some bands and food trucks :D
Then fireworks at night, it was a good day and most importantly Calgarians are finally starting to feel the city is on its way back to normal!
Calgary Stampede in a couple days too, don't know how it's gonna go with all the destruction by the flood!

bakuryu

Neo Member
What's the cheapest that people have seen MK7? Just $30? Is it pretty much $39 everywhere right now?

It's $5 right now on PSN if you're a PS+ member.

Edit: Thought you were talking about Mortal Kombat for some reason haha. I'm gonna go back to bed...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Any place to pre-order Killer is Dead for a small discount? I searched for the game every day during the Futureshop E3 deal, but they never added it. Now that they announced the pre-order bonuses, I'm 100% sure I want to pre-order it... even if I already buy 7 (!!!!) other games in august-september.

EDIT: I agree, you HAVE to try Poutineville.

dream

La Poutine is my shit.

PS: For some reason, I get Best Buy and Future Shop flyers delivered to me on Wednesdays, and I would share some of Friday's sales with you all, but there is literally nothing on sale other than Dual Shock 3s for $44.99.

edit: Oh wait, you get a free copy of Prince of Persia ($9.99 value!) if you buy a $300 Xbox 360.

Noahd41

Neo Member
La Poutine is my shit.

PS: For some reason, I get Best Buy and Future Shop flyers delivered to me on Wednesdays, and I would share some of Friday's sales with you all, but there is literally nothing on sale other than Dual Shock 3s for $44.99.

edit: Oh wait, you get a free copy of Prince of Persia ($9.99 value!) if you buy a $300 Xbox 360.

That place is solid also. I've only been once but I realy liked it.

Just on TLOU also, here in Edmonton I stopped at Futureshop downtown and BestBuy west end and there was nothing. I'm pretty surprised but PS+ is keeping me busy with Deus Ex.

zroid

Banned
by healthy competition I of course meant unhealthy competition

because "healthy" competition would not be competition at all :3

Quick question for those who ordered stuff from Play-Asia, where do I enter the coupon code? I cannot find an option for it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. After you hit the check out, you will have to click on 'Advanced Options'.

Question again, how safe is it to order a game from Play-Asia with the free shipping option?

Fed-Ex is available but it is $14.50, quite on the high side for one game.

Lexxism

Question again, how safe is it to order a game from Play-Asia with the free shipping option?

Fed-Ex is available but it is $14.50, quite on the high side for one game.

It seems safe but it will take a while to get here. Free shipping is the best option for you unlike fedex or ups since you are going to pay import fees.

Sheik

I could cry right now. Just dropped my iPad 4 and the glass cracked. Most of the damage is on the bottom left corner that stretches out to the home button but there is one line that stretches all the way across the actual screen. I can still watch videos but I'm too scared to browse the web or play games.

Anybody know what my options are for fixing it? I Googled around and all I could find was that Apple would give me a new iPad for $300 which I can't afford right now. I'm located in the GVA and can't seem to find any local places that do iPad repairs either.

NeoZylom

I could cry right now. Just dropped my iPad 4 and the glass cracked. Most of the damage is on the bottom left corner that stretches out to the home button but there is one line that stretches all the way across the actual screen. I can still watch videos but I'm too scared to browse the web or play games.

Anybody know what my options are for fixing it? I Googled around and all I could find was that Apple would give me a new iPad for $300 which I can't afford right now. I'm located in the GVA and can't seem to find any local places that do iPad repairs either.

I dropped my Galaxy S4 a few weeks ago. The glass over the screen didn't even get cracked, but the actual screen did :( RIP Galaxy S4. I can feel your pain.

It seems safe but it will take a while to get here. Free shipping is the best option for you unlike fedex or ups since you are going to pay import fees.

Import fees on free shipping or FedEx?

I'm ordering The Last Of Us, I have quite some store credit with them, hence Play-Asia.

Lexxism

Import fees on free shipping or FedEx?

I'm ordering The Last Of Us, I have quite some store credit with them, hence Play-Asia.

FedEx. I bought about $28 from them and paid like $14 for shipping. After a few days, I received a bill from FedEx that I need to pay $15 import fees LOL

It's much better if you go with free shipping. I heard that they didn't experience paying any import fees. I haven't tried it yet though.

iLLmAtlc

I haven't tried but I've also heard from a friend that apple stores may replace cracked screen devices for free, regardless of their policy. Someone told me to try the downtown apple store once, maybe you can too. I'd try and ask a few stores before you give up. Considering ipad 4 is still pretty new, you might get some luck.

MercuryLS

Banned
Extra EB Games trade-in credit of games and slim PS3 and 360 towards PS4 or Xbox One pre-orders ends on July 7th btw. Traded in a bunch of 360 stuff today and got $330 towards PS4.

Sheik

http://pineapplerepairs.ca

$99. A friend runs it. You can also talk to the Apple Store and see if they'll replace it for free once. They often are petty nice about it.

Hmm, went to the site and when you click iPad nothing pops up. I'm going to go to my nearest Apple store this week so I'll give them a call if it doesn't go well. Thanks for the heads up!

I dropped my Galaxy S4 a few weeks ago. The glass over the screen didn't even get cracked, but the actual screen did :( RIP Galaxy S4. I can feel your pain.

RIP, know dat feel. :c

I haven't tried but I've also heard from a friend that apple stores may replace cracked screen devices for free, regardless of their policy. Someone told me to try the downtown apple store once, maybe you can too. I'd try and ask a few stores before you give up. Considering ipad 4 is still pretty new, you might get some luck.

I'll try the downtown store after the one by my place. I live pretty far. Thanks. I would be floored if they actually gave me a new iPad for free, but here's to hoping!

FedEx. I bought about $28 from them and paid like $14 for shipping. After a few days, I received a bill from FedEx that I need to pay $15 import fees LOL

It's much better if you go with free shipping. I heard that they didn't experience paying any import fees. I haven't tried it yet though.

Alright, I'm in no rush to play the game either way. So, will go with the free shipping route.

Top Bottom