• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to currently get US Netflix on the Wii? Apparently the old method doesn't work anymore and the app freezes. Are there new DNS codes that would work?

Damn that sucks, I was going to switch it over to the American one when I finished Homeland. I don't think there's anything left on the Canadian one, looks like I'll end up cancelling it if another method doesn't show up.

FrsDvl

Anyone know how to currently get US Netflix on the Wii? Apparently the old method doesn't work anymore and the app freezes. Are there new DNS codes that would work?

Just pay for unblock-us.com. Always works and it let's you switch between Canadian/US/UK etc.

Roto13

I don't pay a lot of attention to this thread but I follow the Game Deals Canada Twitter and FAcebook accounts (which one of you manages that, again?) and it says this Vita is supposed to be $190 but I see it for $249. What's up? I am kind of an Amazon n00b. Yes, in 2013, there's still someone who barely uses Amazon. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't pay a lot of attention to this thread but I follow the Game Deals Canada Twitter and FAcebook accounts (which one of you manages that, again?) and it says this Vita is supposed to be $190 but I see it for $249. What's up? I am kind of an Amazon n00b. Yes, in 2013, there's still someone who barely uses Amazon. :p
The $50 will be taken off on the last page before you place your order. I just checked it for you.

Items: CDN$ 249.00
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Promotion Applied: -CDN$ 50.00

Total before tax: CDN$ 199.00
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 25.87
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
Total: CDN$ 224.87

The difference between $190 and $200 may be due to Amazon raising the price $10.

EDIT: BTW it's No_Style that runs that Twitter account. You'd know that if you weren't so lazy and read the OP of this thread. :p

Roto13

The $50 will be taken off on the last page before you place your order. I just checked it for you.

Items: CDN$ 249.00
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Promotion Applied: -CDN$ 50.00

Total before tax: CDN$ 199.00
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 25.87
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
Total: CDN$ 224.87

The difference between $190 and $200 may be due to Amazon raising the price $10.

EDIT: BTW it's No_Style that runs that Twitter account. You'd know that if you weren't so lazy and read the OP of this thread. :p

Amazon and its secretly lower prices.

I might just wait until I can find an Assassin's Creed bundle for a similar price anyway. I'd never play Call of Duty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is that the hard drive screw? You sure it's necessary to use the exact same one? I bet you could find a replaceable one somewhere, it doesn't look that special.

Go to Home Depot and get them to match the screw. They might not have flat bottoms. If they don't just get it a 1/4" smaller and you should be fine. Really only need the diameter to be exact size.

Swear I've seen those before. Try your local computer repair shop?

It's a weird screw in that the bottom half needs to be thin enough to fit through the hole in the enclosure, but the top half needs to be wide enough to catch the threads. Maybe other devices use them and it's a type of screw that is used, but the PS3 is the only one I've seen it in. I may try to match it at a hardware store sometime, but there isn't really one around me other than Canadian Tire unfortunately.

Those are the blue screws for the hard drive, right? I remember a while back, I forget where I read this, someone called Sony and they sent them replacement screws for free. Worth a try.
Hrm, I might try that. I've never called Sony tech support before, so maybe they'll be okay with it. Or they might charge 10 bucks for it. lol

The blue screw isn't even needed if you don't move your PS3 around.
That's true, and right now it isn't screwed down... but I figure I might as well secure it if I can. I can't believe Sony would cheap out on something like this though. Yeesh.

paul187

It's a weird screw in that the bottom half needs to be thin enough to fit through the hole in the enclosure, but the top half needs to be wide enough to catch the threads. Maybe other devices use them and it's a type of screw that is used, but the PS3 is the only one I've seen it in. I may try to match it at a hardware store sometime, but there isn't really one around me other than Canadian Tire unfortunately.

Hrm, I might try that. I've never called Sony tech support before, so maybe they'll be okay with it. Or they might charge 10 bucks for it. lol

That's true, and right now it isn't screwed down... but I figure I might as well secure it if I can. I can't believe Sony would cheap out on something like this though. Yeesh.

Canadian Tire should be fine.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Just pay for unblock-us.com. Always works and it let's you switch between Canadian/US/UK etc.

It was great when I had it for a year, but then they removed the yearly billing option, and I couldn't justify what was ultimately a price increase. I just use MediaHint (an add-on for Chrome or FireFox) and watch U.S. Netflix on my TV using my laptop. I do miss the other regions though: Brazil / Mexico had a ton of Disney movies. :)

Merguson

Banned
So I've been looking at the Nintendo 3DS..

is the XL really much better? any difference besides a larger screen? I don't mind having a smaller 3DS for compatibility..

Also, how often can you find Nintendo 3DS on sale? I haven't paid much attention to that.. I'll start paying attention to see if there are any sales.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

is the XL really much better? any difference besides a larger screen? I don't mind having a smaller 3DS for compatibility..

Also, how often can you find Nintendo 3DS on sale? I haven't paid much attention to that.. I'll start paying attention to see if there are any sales.

yes it's that much better. Target has had numerous buy XL get 50 gift card

ohlawd

XL is so much better.

XL is like pleasuring yourself with your dominant hand, OG with your other terrible hand. The difference is freaking massive. It feels much better to hold, better battery life, all that. It's harder to get the sweet spot for 3D, though.

Tuck

I've seen people on GAF say the 3D isn't as good.

But others have said its better.

So, yeah dunno. Most people seem to prefer it greatly to the original unit.

It's not better. It's just different. While the screen is bigger you get a poorer screen which was already poor to begin with. Aliasing becomes much more apparent which before the XL I barely noticed. While it's bigger and more comfortable to hold, it's not as portable, etc. It's a bunch of trade offs and the only thing that is objectively better about the XL is the battery life.

Since portability is important to you I would save the money and get the OG.

I've seen people on GAF say the 3D isn't as good.

But others have said its better.

So, yeah dunno. Most people seem to prefer it greatly to the original unit.

3D is definately worse. I used to play with it on all the time with the og 3ds but with XL I have to turn it off at certain parts because of the aliasing.

small 3ds is a piece of shit in comparison, can't even look at it without a look of disgust. I was an original buyer of it too but when I sucked it up and got an XL...everything changed.

Madouu

Get an XL, it's just so much better. You don't even save that much money going with the original 3DS with all the deals on the XL that have been around...

Most importantly XL is much more comfortable to me than the og model and I think most people will agree on this particular point here on gaf.

$150-160 is what you want to buy it at.

zroid

Banned
I would say the XL is superior in most ways, but the OG has a handful of advantages which may be very important to some people.

Pros
- better speakers
- portability
- includes charge cradle
- colours (subjective obviously, but there is much more variety)
- IQ for polygonal games (sprite-based games look better on XL)

Cons
- everything else

Merguson

Banned
Hmm.. it sounds like I should go the DS XL.. portability isn't really a big issue.. both sizes are fine to me.. but most of you say go for the XL..

Sounds like I'll wait for the sales.. and check out a Target one day.

Thanks for the responses.

EDIT: On a side note, how do DS games look on the 3DS XL? I've played a bunch of DS games but never owned a DS.. wouldn't mind grabbing a few games from the DS library

Tagg9

Hmm.. it sounds like I should go the DS XL.. portability isn't really a big issue.. both sizes are fine to me.. but most of you say go for the XL..

Definitely go with the XL. The OG 3DS is really uncomfortable in comparison.

zroid

Banned
EDIT: On a side note, how do DS games look on the 3DS XL? I've played a bunch of DS games but never owned a DS.. wouldn't mind grabbing a few games from the DS library

I should have pointed that out specifically, because it's one of the biggest advantages of the XL. On either 3DS you have the option to play DS games at native resolution or stretched to the pixel count of the 3DS screen. A lot of DS games look pretty ugly stretched out, but when the OG 3DS displays DS games at native res, the image size is uncomfortably small. On the XL you can play any DS game at native res and it'll look basically identical to playing on a DS Lite or DSi.

Palehorse

I was very pleased when I upgraded from the OG to the XL, and in fact after having my old XL stolen I went out and bought a new one right away.

Been playing some Mario vs. Donkey Kong and it looks great.

(Still haven't gotten back to Ninty on how I can get a police report to them without a report in hand. I had bought Fire Emblem and some others from the eshop as well as having Ambassador games so I really hope they can fix it for me.)

DS games don't look so hot upscaled. I usually play in native resolution, just hold select or start before booting a game.

And as others said, XL over the OG 3DS. No contest. It feels so much better and sturdier, and it has a MATTE finish. Every console manufacturer in the world should end this glossy nonsense.

iphys

Get 2000 free Shoppers Optimum points for signing in online and updating your profile and entering the promo code 2050. Valid till July 12th.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Get 2000 free Shoppers Optimum points for signing in online and updating your profile and entering the promo code 2050. Valid till July 12th.
Did it, never got any points. Do they take a while to show up?

EDIT: Nevermind, just got the e-mail.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting "The Shoppers Optimum Card® number you entered is invalid." when I'm trying to log in after registering.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U owners, Need for Speed Most Wanted U is now $30 at the usual places (Futureshop, Amazon, EBgames, etc.). You should get it!

It bought it at launch during the $30 EA store sale, and it's very fun!

This!

Mind sharing? Unless you're using a paid service.

If this doesn't work delete your netflix save data and re-enter them.. you'll have to re-enter your account info as well.

currently working on my ps3 slim, most current firmware. the old dns servers i was using still work on my wii u

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Can this method affect other online features on the console? I use the DNS method to get US netflix on my WiiU, but I randomly get error messages when trying to open Miiverse or the eShop. I have no idea if the DNS could be causing this...

Noahd41

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is a free month of PS+ available anywhere? My PS3 went YLOD last month, so I have a new one but I used the hair dryer trick to get the original back up and running again. However.... I got PS+ on my main account and it turns out my Demon's Souls game save was on my alternate account and it's the only one of my game saves that doesn't transfer. If I could get a free month of PS+ on my alt account I could use the cloud service and transfer that game save over to my new ps3... otherwise I will lose about 12 hours of progress.

Sajjaja

Does anyone know if there is a free month of PS+ available anywhere? My PS3 went YLOD last month, so I have a new one but I used the hair dryer trick to get the original back up and running again. However.... I got PS+ on my main account and it turns out my Demon's Souls game save was on my alternate account and it's the only one of my game saves that doesn't transfer. If I could get a free month of PS+ on my alt account I could use the cloud service and transfer that game save over to my new ps3... otherwise I will lose about 12 hours of progress.

Soo... you're still in 1-1? :p

All kidding aside, you can try and check if that E3 promotion is still going where you goto PlayStation home and get a 1 month trial. Slim but worth a shot.

iphys

I'm getting "The Shoppers Optimum Card® number you entered is invalid." when I'm trying to log in after registering.

You're just using the last 9 digits on the card, right? If you just signed up for the Optimum program for this promo they might not have your online account live yet, but note the promo is only for people with prior accounts to update their profile as opposed to people signing up and making a new one. I can see why, as if they did it for new Optimum accounts, everyone would sign up for a load of accounts to get 2000 points in each and then transfer them all to their main account.

zroid

Banned
Any deals on Animal Crossing New Leaf? I kind of need another copy.

images

my 2nd copy will be digital

khaaan

You're just using the last 9 digits on the card, right? If you just signed up for the Optimum program for this promo they might not have your online account live yet, but note the promo is only for people with prior accounts to update their profile as opposed to people signing up and making a new one. I can see why, as if they did it for new Optimum accounts, everyone would sign up for a load of accounts to get 2000 points in each and then transfer them all to their main account.

I can't log-in but it seemed to work for me. I didn't have an actual online profile before this, went in, made it, did the promo thing and got an email saying I got the 2000 points.

Top Bottom