• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Mupod

I live in northern ontario and I've never imported anything, but I need that Samus figma in my life and I regret missing it before. It's still a few months off, but I was gonna go with registered SAL.

Lexxism

I have never been charged with items from amiami. I got charged once from HLJ ,9 bucks on a $30 item. That sucked.

Ohh. What was the largest amount you bought from them? $100+? I'm also planning to buy from them but I'm kinda wary of import fees I might face.

Sora_N

Ohh. What was the largest amount you bought from them? $100+? I'm also planning to buy from them but I'm kinda wary of import fees I might face.

It's really just random but I think people around Vancouver are less likely to be hit with customs. I think one of my orders last year was at least 120 value.

Neki

How are they towards iPhones that have water damage? I told my sister the same thing (to try and talk her way into getting her phone fixed), but apparently the Apple Store reps wouldn't budge, and she had to pay $300 to replace her iPhone 5.

No idea, only experience I've had is with Macbooks. My friend went in and her power supply was broken, and they gave her another one for free (think it costed at least 90 dollars). She also sent it in for repairs another time, and they covered it. I don't know how they feel about iPhones though.

I guess you won't get hit by customs sometimes, if you are lucky.

Everything that I have ordered from eBay so far, I haven't paid any customs on them. Then again, I don't think I have ordered anything that is worth much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I guess you won't get hit by customs sometimes, if you are lucky.

Everything that I have ordered from eBay so far, I haven't paid any customs on them. Then again, I don't think I have ordered anything that is worth much.

Depends on the brokerage that clears the item for you. Do they know what they're doing and want to be accurate or do a shitty job and get it done and over with?

Since many people don't know about how items are classified, these brokerages try to declare goods as misc and when it's identified as such, they can get hit with tariffs when they sometimes shouldn't.

Takuya

Banned

Neki

Does anyone have a Google Nexus 4? I'm getting a new phone plan from WIND and I'm thinking about getting that phone since it's 250$ after WINDTAB. It's either that or a Samsung Galaxy III, but that's a lot pricier.

Does anyone have a Google Nexus 4? I'm getting a new phone plan from WIND and I'm thinking about getting that phone since it's 250$ after WINDTAB. It's either that or a Samsung Galaxy III, but that's a lot pricier.

I've heard good things about the Nexus 4 with respect to its price to performance.

S3 is more than a year old, not sure if it is worth shelling lot of money on it.

What price are you getting either of them for?

Why don't you get it from Fido/Koodo/Virgin for about $300 with a GC outright (though you have to cancel and stuff)?

Galaxy 3 is dropping in price with the S4 already out. The N4 is a better bet depreciation-wise.

krae_man

I have one on Wind and its great. If you're only going on the $30 plan it might be worth your while to look into just buying it outright from Google for $350 so you have no tab and see what kind of credits they will offer you to bring your own phone.

Edit you can get $200 in credits but they are only good for add ons like voice mail and pay per use charges. But if that works for you, its probably the better deal.

It's great on WIND, but I would personally just buy it outright from the google play store. You're not saving much with the WINDTab, and you could use the tab to upgrade to a new phone when/if one comes out later down the road that you really want. Just my personal opinion though, and dependent on whether you have the funds to do so or not.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Did EB change their systems? I tried to return Lego LOTR that I bought along with some cheapo games from clearance, from their site. The guy said it wouldn't go through because I got free shipping so I would have to go through the website.

Just a month or so ago I bought a $10 game along with a 15 filler item, returned the filler item no problem.

I'm heading to another EB now to try again.

EDIT: other eb worked fine, i think the first guy is just dumb.

I hate when moronic EB Games workers (and other retail workers) make shit up just because they can't explain something.

It's a great piece of hardware--awesome screen. Lone Prodigy's suggestion is probably your best bet: you have to do some legwork, but you'll end up paying less in the end. Also, there's a good chance the next Nexus phone will be announced soon. Not sure how soon "soon" is though, but that's what I've been reading.

Neki

I have one on Wind and its great. If you're only going on the $30 plan it might be worth your while to look into just buying it outright from Google for $350 so you have no tab and see what kind of credits they will offer you to bring your own phone.

Edit you can get $200 in credits but they are only good for add ons like voice mail and pay per use charges. But if that works for you, its probably the better deal.

350$ is a little steep for me, but I could get the 8GB one at 309$, which is only a couple of dollars more than the 250$ from WIND. I don't have a lot of music, the only thing that would be filling my phone would be android apps, so I'm not sure I should spend the extra 50 dollars on 8GB. So currently, right now, I'm on WIND without a tab, if I bought the Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store, do I just put my SIM card into the new phone?

Madouu

I've got a Nexus 4 and it's really great, I love the pricing strategy they went for with this phone and people should support this too in my opinion. Personnally, I managed to get it for free along with a decent plan for my usage a while ago after calling fido retentions. $50 plan for $40 + 3 months free + free nexus 4 on a 2 year contract.

Fido are ok once you've been with them for a bit but you gotta check your first bill, I swear everytime I've made changes to my account, they somehow fuck up with random services activated or just plain forgetting to activate what I spent a lot of time negociating.

The phone in itself is pretty great, looks great, has top of the notch performance and is super easy to install custom kernels etc. on it, it helps a bunch with the battery. I'm not the heaviest user of apps though, I pretty much just use it for a few useful ones and for browsing the internet so there's that too.

Ondore

PS: For some reason, I get Best Buy and Future Shop flyers delivered to me on Wednesdays, and I would share some of Friday's sales with you all, but there is literally nothing on sale other than Dual Shock 3s for $44.99.

edit: Oh wait, you get a free copy of Prince of Persia ($9.99 value!) if you buy a $300 Xbox 360.

It was so bad FutureShop apparently didn't even bother to send me a flyer this week.

khaaan

How is Wind doing these days? I used them for quite sometime but their shoddy network eventually prompted me to switch providers.

Jo-El

How is Wind doing these days? I used them for quite sometime but their shoddy network eventually prompted me to switch providers.

I have no complaints.

Edit: I've had minimal issues in Mississauga, Guelph, Toronto, and Kitchener. The odd place I won't have a signal, but that's been my experience with just about any cell service.

Lurkee

Neo Member
I have no complaints.

Awesome, but you should probably mention what city/area of the city you're in/areas of the city you frequent. :p

As for me, my contract with Rogers is ending September, so I'll probably start harassing their retentions line in a month to see what's available for me. As I understand it, they've really cut down on their ability to offer great deals since I last negotiated my plan back in 2010.

Anyone know if I have a chance of maintaining or getting something similar to this plan?

350 daytime minutes (100 bonus minutes credit)
Evenings/Weekends @ 5PM (early evenings credited)
100 Canada-wide minutes (credited)
Unlimited Incoming (credited)
Unlimited Network Calling + Long Distance (credited)
iPhone Value Pack (credited)
6 GB Data (credited)

Comes up to $35 + 6.95 System Access Fee (yeah, that's right. I'm still paying that, and have been since 2005!) + 911 Fee = $43/month + tax (so about $48)

What are the chances Rogers will offer me something similar to what I have now? If not, I'm totally ready to jump ship to Wind/Mobilicity, or even with one of the flanker brands, considering they have some really good deals right now. It's just the amount of data that leaves a lot to be desired.

SirKhalid

Holy crap, nice. Anyone else got their Viva promotion stuff canceled with BestBuy E3 promotion stuff? I receive a product for an order with Project X Zone. But for 2 other orders I made, they gave me a 20$ gift certificate to use online for each order and they cancel my Viva product.

Suddenly, I got so many certificate from Bestbuy with 10$ from AC New Leaf and 60$ for one of the E3 order already.

amrod

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (Nintendo 3DS)

29.99 @ BB / FS ... Sold out online :(! Hope they restock it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was just wondering, does anyone know of any place that would happen to repair PS3s?
I don't actually need a repair, but I'm looking for one of these hard drive screws:
NkBbBcyl.png

10 bucks on ebay seems crazy, but then again it is a proprietary screw... or at least seems to be.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I was just wondering, does anyone know of any place that would happen to repair PS3s?
I don't actually need a repair, but I'm looking for one of these hard drive screws:
NkBbBcyl.png

10 bucks on ebay seems crazy, but then again it is a proprietary screw... or at least seems to be.

Take the screw to home depot or Lowes and have them match the size for an alternative.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Take the screw to home depot or Lowes and have them match the size for an alternative.
I may do it, but I don't think it's a screw that's readily available - the bottom part of it is smooth and smaller so it can fit into the hole, while the top part is wider and threaded. The screws I have on had are either too big to fit into the hole or too small to fit the threads... such a dumb design.

KarmaCow

Does anyone else use the Transit Now Toronto app on Android? They updated a few weeks back and changed the icon, so I'm looking for the clean version of the previous iteration of the icon.

pbwovxp.jpg

It's the third one.

iLLmAtlc

NkBbBcyl.png

Is that the hard drive screw? You sure it's necessary to use the exact same one? I bet you could find a replaceable one somewhere, it doesn't look that special.

Ondore

I have never gotten mine to work on either the 3DS or the WiiU. (Or the PSN for that matter, but I think there's other problems there.)

Greyvvolf

NkBbBcyl.png

Those are the blue screws for the hard drive, right? I remember a while back, I forget where I read this, someone called Sony and they sent them replacement screws for free. Worth a try.

Socreges

Banned
Anyone know how to currently get US Netflix on the Wii? Apparently the old method doesn't work anymore and the app freezes. Are there new DNS codes that would work?

krae_man

I'm at a staples and they have DSi's for $40 and DSi XL's for $70. Is this old? There is only a dsi display box st the store I'm at.

paul187

Go to Home Depot and get them to match the screw. They might not have flat bottoms. If they don't just get it a 1/4" smaller and you should be fine. Really only need the diameter to be exact size.

Top Bottom