• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Firestorm

Hello, Future Shop is going to have another $40 trade-in 1 because it was terribly successful.
Hang onto your Mario Bros. U.

The trade-in value is $5 today in Ottawa.
It is also on the trade 2 $60.
Ok I'm going to hold you to this and keep my Gears of War Judgement, Dead Space 3, and Metal Gear Rising! Hopefully they stay on the list. Don't lose much I guess.

If I'm gonna choose one game between Tomb Raider and Bioshock, what do you guys suggest?

I'm going to hold on to my NSMBU until it goes back to T1 for 40$ and I think it will!

iphys

Supposedly Shoppers is doing a redemption of $220 for 95,000 optimum points on June 8th/9th. People might want to do the 18500 bonus point event for spending $75 on the 3rd-7th to top up their points in advance. Kind of a shame, but this is the best redemption they've offered since September, so this might be the best we have to hope for anymore.

They're both 2 of the best games this gen. I'd probably say Bioshock though since it's the more unique of the two.

Thanks, I may pick it up from FS tomorrow!

Supposedly Shoppers is doing a redemption of $220 for 95,000 optimum points on June 8th/9th. People might want to do the 18500 bonus point event for spending $75 on the 3rd-7th to top up their points in advance. Kind of a shame, but this is the best redemption they've offered since September, so this might be the best we have to hope for anymore.

I think many people would rather keep their points for next gen consoles, I'm still around 60K points so long way to go!

iphys

They'll probably also have a 50,000 points for $110 level, as that's what they had in September, but yeah, I have enough points to do 2.5 redemptions and I can't even think of anything I need right now, so I might just do a half redemption and stock up on food. I was hoping there would be new XL colours or something by now.

Lexxism

Damn. If NSMBU is really included in the trade 1 for $40, then I'll regret that I wasn't able to get the used NSMBU for $15.

zroid

Banned
haha, they've been totally cleaned out of NSMBU. BB doesn't even list it anymore, and the nearest FS store to me with a copy is 90 km away.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Was Persona 4 Arena on the last trade 1 for $40? I was going to use it on the 2 for $60 today, but if I can flip it alone for $40 instead, I'll do that.

FluxWaveZ

Was Persona 4 Arena on the last trade 1 for $40? I was going to use it on the 2 for $60 today, but if I can flip it alone for $40 instead, I'll do that.

It was, but the 1 for $40 deal's not available anymore. It expired on May 31st, so you can only use Persona 4 Arena + another game for the $60 deal.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It was, but the 1 for $40 deal's not available anymore. It expired on May 31st, so you can only use Persona 4 Arena + another game for the $60 deal.

I reference it, because SMT posted on the last page that there will be another trade 1 for $40 deal. And I'm hoping it'll use mostly the same list.

FluxWaveZ

I reference it, because SMT posted on the last page that there will be another trade 1 for $40 deal. And I'm hoping it'll use mostly the same list.

Oh sorry, just saw that. So yeah, the answer is yes. Hopefully P4A will be on the list of the next one as I would also like to trade it in.

MarkusRJR

How is Canadian Target? We just got one where I live and haven't had a chance to check it out. Is it just like Zellers or do they usually get all new staff?

Also, I have a random question here: I'm trying to buy something off ebay but it's a Paypal only auction. Sadly my Paypal account doesn't have enough funds to go over the latest bid and would take at least a week to get more on there, which by then the auction would be over. If I buy a $100 prepaid credit card would I be able to use it on the auction if I attach it to my Paypal account, or do Paypal only auctions just work using Paypal balance?

Any help would be nice. :)

How is Canadian Target? We just got one where I live and haven't had a chance to check it out. Is it just like Zellers or do they usually get all new staff?

Also, I have a random question here: I'm trying to buy something off ebay but it's a Paypal only auction. Sadly my Paypal account doesn't have enough funds to go over the latest bid and would take at least a week to get more on there, which by then the auction would be over. If I buy a $100 prepaid credit card would I be able to use it on the auction if I attach it to my Paypal account, or do Paypal only auctions just work using Paypal balance?

Any help would be nice. :)

So you actually linked your credit card to PayPal but your credit card is over limit? Is that what you're saying? Or is it the bank account? You will need to link another one of either to be able to pay! Prepaid CC won't work with Paypal!

They'll probably also have a 50,000 points for $110 level, as that's what they had in September, but yeah, I have enough points to do 2.5 redemptions and I can't even think of anything I need right now, so I might just do a half redemption and stock up on food. I was hoping there would be new XL colours or something by now.

The only thing I can think at SDM is a 3DSXL or WiiU if you need any of them, Animal crossing 3DSXL is the new color and it's BB exclusive.

Sorry for double posting but I'm on z phone and couldn't do z edit :|

MarkusRJR

So you actually linked your credit card to PayPal but your credit card is over limit? Is that what you're saying? Or is it the bank account? You will need to link another one of either to be able to pay! Prepaid CC won't work with Paypal!
I don't own a credit card so I use my bank account to send funds over, but it takes a week or two to transfer. I used a prepaid credit card on my Paypal before (it worked after I went to the prepaid credit card site and put in my address/other info), but never on ebay. I'm just worried if it'll consider it a "Paypal purchase" or if it'll consider it a credit card purchase. It's a Paypal only auction so I don't know what'll happen if I end up winning and have no way to purchase it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to realize that winnipeg is a really shitty place. I can't find any great deals here. =/

That, on top that you can't trade in games grinds my fucking gears.

I don't own a credit card so I use my bank account to send funds over, but it takes a week or two to transfer. I used a prepaid credit card on my Paypal before (it worked after I went to the prepaid credit card site and put in my address/other info), but never on ebay. I'm just worried if it'll consider it a "Paypal purchase" or if it'll consider it a credit card purchase. It's a Paypal only auction so I don't know what'll happen if I end up winning and have no way to purchase it.

If you can add that CC as a payment option on your Paypal account and choose it as your method of payment, it should work.
Having no CC makes online shopping so annoying! If you're in Calgary I can help you with my Paypal!

Cheerilee

It's no help at the moment but... you should really get a credit card.

If you don't qualify for one for whatever reason, ask your bank about getting a "secured Visa". If your bank doesn't have that, ask another bank.

Basically you give the bank $300 and they put a one-year lock on it, while Visa gives you a credit card with a $300 limit. If you screw it up, the bank gives Visa your money. If you don't screw it up, the bank unlocks your money after one year, and you become a normal Visa cardholder. Visa probably also offers you a bigger credit limit around the same time.

Having good credit for a long time is good for your credit, so it's best to get on it ASAP.

zroid

Banned
Speaking of how great Winnipeg is -- Less Than Kind's season premiere was today! The only Canadian scripted show I still watch. It's pretty good~

Looks like my PS3 might have packed it in tonight :(

Any idea if there might be a price cut on the system for E3? It'll be annoying, but I can definitely wait to find out.

Looks like my PS3 might have packed it in tonight :(

Any idea if there might be a price cut on the system for E3? It'll be annoying, but I can definitely wait to find out.

Nothing confirmed but you should wait and see, it's just a week until Sony's conference!
It might be a perfect time for a PS3 price drop as a final push before the PS4 dominates the scene!

iphys

If you buy a PS3 at BestBuy or some place with price protection you'll be covered till well after E3.

I'm not sure they'll actively want the PS3 competing with the PS4 though, since they can't easily lure people in with the PS3 to try to get them to make the jump to PS4 if it's not backwards compatible. Even though the Wii U is backwards compatible, I think deals on the Wii dried up in the US, and the stupid Mini we got stuck with seems like it was purposely crippled to convince everyone to buy a Wii U instead of a Wii, like they don't honestly want anyone to start out by buying a Wii before upgrading to Wii U. I guess it will probably be safe till the PS4 actually comes out, but I wouldn't count on any further deals on the PS3 once it does.

Thanks to whomever posted about NSMBU being $15 used-was able to snag a copy! Normally I never buy used, but seeing as I'm a cheap ass gamer and Nintendo never seem to drop their prices it seems to be the only way...

I waited until Mario Kart was reasonably priced (Gamecube) and that ended up being 7 years. I think I'm done with the waiting game Nintendo. Your loss.

Or maybe my loss--not a big fan of WAH WAH WAH.

Thanks to whomever posted about NSMBU being $15 used-was able to snag a copy! Normally I never buy used, but seeing as I'm a cheap ass gamer and Nintendo never seem to drop their prices it seems to be the only way...

I waited until Mario Kart was reasonably priced (Gamecube) and that ended up being 7 years. I think I'm done with the waiting game Nintendo. Your loss.

Or maybe my loss--not a big fan of WAH WAH WAH.

I'm still amazed the NSMBU deal wasn't a glitch.

zroid

Banned
Luckily, Mario is one of those games you can totally ignore the sound on. :p

I play with it muted, usually. I've already 5-starred NSMBU but I still have a go sometimes when I'm listening to a podcast. It's a great podcast game!

Never heard of it! What channel do you watch it on? What genre?

It's on HBO. A "dramedy", I suppose, set in Winnipeg.

bakuryu

Neo Member
Long-time lurker, first time poster. Hello Canada GAF!

Just finished 999, really want to play Virtue's Last Reward but I can't find it anywhere on 3DS, and of course it's not on eShop -_-

Has anyone seen it recently? Don't care about price at this stage...

frequency

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Hello Canada GAF!

Just finished 999, really want to play Virtue's Last Reward but I can't find it anywhere on 3DS, and of course it's not on eShop -_-

Has anyone seen it recently? Don't care about price at this stage...

EBGames has it: http://www.ebgames.ca/3ds/games/zeros-escape-virtues-last-reward/315332
VGP has it: https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19971
Some Amazon Marketplace sellers have it: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007FMSDU0/

Fularu

Banned
Last month I ordered DK3D at futurshop, when are they supposed to send me the "10$ off a game in june" code?

First time I try such a promotion.

Quick

Banned
Is it possible to buy a Best Buy gift card using a Visa gift card?

Alternatively, is there a limit to how much Best Buy takes Visa gift cards?

stolin

Last month I ordered DK3D at futurshop, when are they supposed to send me the "10$ off a game in june" code?
First time I try such a promotion.

Same here.. I was going to wait a few days this week before mailing FS customer service. Need the $10 code for Animal Crossing.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! Does EB usually ship fast to Montreal?
Just a couple of days every time I ordered. I was pleasantly surprised when ordering on their website since I almost always get terrible service at their stores.

KJA

The CRTC does something good for a change!

I'm sure the big three are probably pissed off right now but I have a feeling there going to find another way to screw us, left and right.

Is it possible to buy a Best Buy gift card using a Visa gift card?

Alternatively, is there a limit to how much Best Buy takes Visa gift cards?

I don't think there will be any problems with that, they'd be happy if you exchange every bit of money in any form you have to BB GC : )

Phone subsidies will go down further, the subsidy will have to be paid off in 2 years or less for the 2 year cancellation with no fees to work

I've bought all my phones outright and never went on a contract anyway

Top Bottom