• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

MarkusRJR

Wait so does the whole 3 year contract = 2 year contract shenanigans mean I should sign up for "3 year" contracts come new year instead of going for a 2 year?

Phone subsidies will go down further, the subsidy will have to be paid off in 2 years or less for the 2 year cancellation with no fees to work

I've bought all my phones outright and never went on a contract anyway

Never got in a contract as well but it's good to have the option. We're paying monthly bills anyway!

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys so I bought my aunt's Fido iPhone 4 to use the ol' SAM Unlock on it last year for me to get to Speakout Wireless. Since then she's moved from Fido to Rogers without me knowing, and the phone is still locked to Fido. You guys think there's anyway for me to get it unlocked?

RS4-

Hey guys so I bought my aunt's Fido iPhone 4 to use the ol' SAM Unlock on it last year for me to get to Speakout Wireless. Since then she's moved from Fido to Rogers without me knowing, and the phone is still locked to Fido. You guys think there's anyway for me to get it unlocked?

Ask her to call fido and see of they'll unlock it for her. Probably have a fee.

DJ_Lae

Ask her to call fido and see of they'll unlock it for her. Probably have a fee.

I want to say $50.

That and I believe they'll only do it for customers, so he'll might have to pay for one month of some basic plan.

iLLmAtlc

Thanks. I'm aware of their unlock policy but one of the requirements is must have an account in good standing. I'm authorized on her account so I could just call in myself but last time I tried the lady seemed like she didn't know what to do. It was my fault though because I thought she was still with Fido but it turns out it was a Rogers account.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience getting Fido without a current account.

Yawnier

Banned
So guys, how is the new Tomb Raider for those who have played it? Is it worth $30?

(I'm heading into FS later to definitely pick up Bioshock Infinite, might pick up Tomb Raider too but I'm unsure at this point).

DJ_Lae

Thanks. I'm aware of their unlock policy but one of the requirements is must have an account in good standing. I'm authorized on her account so I could just call in myself but last time I tried the lady seemed like she didn't know what to do. It was my fault though because I thought she was still with Fido but it turns out it was a Rogers account.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience getting Fido without a current account.

I'll actually find out within the next month or so as my wife and I gave her old iPhone 4 to my dad as he's retiring and giving up his work cellphone.

It's also locked to Fido - though my wife is still on the contract that she originally got the phone with so I'm not sure if they'll simply unlock it with the fee or if some other hoops have to be jumped through. We've already talked to someone over the phone but like you they seemed to know absolutely nothing. I guess people don't unlock phones very often?

Guitarmy

Banned
That, on top that you can't trade in games grinds my fucking gears.

They recently loosened the trading rules again. I think trading in games (at least at EB) is the same as every where across canada now. Trading in systems is still stupid though.

iLLmAtlc

I'll actually find out within the next month or so as my wife and I gave her old iPhone 4 to my dad as he's retiring and giving up his work cellphone.

It's also locked to Fido - though my wife is still on the contract that she originally got the phone with so I'm not sure if they'll simply unlock it with the fee or if some other hoops have to be jumped through. We've already talked to someone over the phone but like you they seemed to know absolutely nothing. I guess people don't unlock phones very often?

If she's still on contract with them it should be easy, as long as she's been with them for at least 90 days. Their new unlock policy should allow her to unlock the phone for $50.

zroid

Banned
Yas, I picked up the last copy of Nintendo Land from Costco. It was marked at $30, but I suspected it'd be $20 like at the other stores, and I was right. :3

If FS is doing the T1>40 next week, I'll be cashing in.

Off topic:
Do you guys know where I can buy kites? lol
I can't find any at Walmart or RCSS!

I was just at a locally owned (and completely amazing!) toy store in Regina called Zippity Zoom Toys, and they had some crazy kites ranging from like $40 - $120. Some were shaped like dragons and old german figher planes. I don't know what you have for locally owned toy stores around you, but maybe try those places if you're looking for something unique. Otherwise...Toys R Us...blgggh.

I remember seeing kites at Dollarama last year -- no idea if they'd still have them.

I was just at a locally owned (and completely amazing!) toy store in Regina called Zippity Zoom Toys, and they had some crazy kites ranging from like $40 - $120. Some were shaped like dragons and old german figher planes. I don't know what you have for locally owned toy stores around you, but maybe try those places if you're looking for something unique. Otherwise...Toys R Us...blgggh.

I live in Calgary so I may have a look at what Dollarama or TRU has in stock, don't know a lot about nice toy shops since I only buy LEGO lol
Thanks for the response : )

LakeEarth

Such a minor thing, but I didn't want to bump the penny thread. At McDonalds, getting a med coffee with a muffin in Ontario has been $1.67 for years. Now it's suddenly $1.68. Round up scam?

To keep on topic, thanks for all that mentioned that Etrian Odyssey IV went on sale. Awesome game.

i-Jest

Does anyone know of any game shops or retailers in Toronto selling new copies of Pokemon Heart Gold and/or Soul Silver?

i-Jest

French Version. I come across those every now and again. Looking for English/Standard version.

I sound so spoiled. Sorry about that.

EDIT:

Thanks for the BB locations. I'll look into those tomorrow.

So what was this Trade one for $40 that Futureshop had and is apparently going to have again this month? Was there a list of specific games? Was it for credit, or did it have to be an in-store purchase?

isny

napkin dispenser
Does anyone know of any game shops or retailers in Toronto selling new copies of Pokemon Heart Gold and/or Soul Silver?

SDM has em for $20 if you can find one that has em in stock. Lots of em in stock here in Ottawa, so if you can't find one let me know.

iphys

So for the super redemption at Shoppers on the 8th/9th, it's $50 for 25,000 points, $110 for 50,000, or $220 for 95,000. They have the Blops Vita bundle for $220, 3DS XL for $190, DSi for $80, Wii mini for $80 (maybe worth it for the red Wiimote/nunchuk and 100 CN coins I believe), and that is all I could spy in the flyer as far as video games.

Ondore

So I haven't done the Trade 1/2 thing at FutureShop since it was "Trade 1, get game". I'm looking to do a Trade 2 so I can force a price drop on a Deluxe WiiU, and I have a tax question:

Is there a way to get them to apply the gift card pre-tax if I do the two transactions at once so it goes (349.99 - 60) * 1.15 = $333
versus the normal way where it'd be $342? Or should I not bother?

I'd probably be doing this Thursday before Luigi's Mansion/Soul Hackers potentially drop off, but if there's going to be anything this weekend for the Deluxe I can hold off... I just want to make sure I have it before Super Metroid goes up to $8.

zroid

Banned
Is there a way to get them to apply the gift card pre-tax if I do the two transactions at once so it goes (349.99 - 60) * 1.15 = $333
versus the normal way where it'd be $342? Or should I not bother?

I doubt it's possible. In fact they probably started this gift card thing just so they wouldn't have to eat the tax on those games they were trading away.

iphys

I don't think they had to eat the tax on those game-for-game trades, since you're only supposed to be taxed on the portion you pay in cash when you trade something in for something, so there shouldn't have been any tax involved in those transactions where there was no exchange of money involved.

I think they should theoretically be able to apply the $ off to save you the taxes the way EB Games does when you trade for something on the spot, but it's doubtful they would since the offer specifically says it's for a gift card. It took 2 BestBuy employees 10 minutes just to figure out how to trade in my game last week, and they probably don't want to make things any more complicated than they already are.

zroid

Banned
That's the thing though, with FS and BB, they didn't actually upgrade the TIV of the games you traded in for the T1/T2/etc. promos; they just scanned them in at the regular TIV, and paid off the rest of the bill themselves. I think they were actually paying the tax on the entire bill on their "house account". I would have to check one of my old receipts to be sure, but that's how it seems anyway.

nordique

Does anyone on CanadaGAF have an extra 24 or 48 hours Xbox Live Gold trial sitting around?

Could someone PM it to me please? I just need one

Thanks GAF :)

Somehow I can't believe this will happen in our country lol
But this is some pretty awesome news, if it takes place I'll probably stop buying unlocked iPhones for 800 ish $!

Edit: Just saw it on the news, it's going in effect December 2nd : )

It remains to be seen If this can even be implemented by that date system wise for each company, so I don't think that date is set in stone.

Upon further reflection, I actually think this change is going to do more harm than good simply due to the dynamic of the Canadian marketplace trying to ape the American one. Phone prices are going to go up at all providers, plan prices are also going to go up as well. Deals for phones are going to be few and far between and if your phone breaks prior to the 2 year period you're going to be SOL.

Obviously the big three are used to their profit margin being at a certain rate, so even bigger cut backs will accrue in regards to personnel. The majority of all call Centre workers are outsourced but all 3 companies do have quite a few Canadian vendors who might see their jobs going to the Philippines.

So yeah, I'm sure a lot of people are going to be pretty excited but I honestly don't see the appeal of it

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Does anyone on CanadaGAF have an extra 24 or 48 hours Xbox Live Gold trial sitting around?

Could someone PM it to me please? I just need one

Thanks GAF :)

I've got one at home that I can send when I get home from work, if you haven't found someone else by 5:30pm (Est) tonight, pm me and I'll send it to ya.

It remains to be seen If this can even be implemented by that date system wise for each company, so I don't think that date is set in stone.

Upon further reflection, I actually think this change is going to do more harm than good simply due to the dynamic of the Canadian marketplace trying to ape the American one. Phone prices are going to go up at all providers, plan prices are also going to go up as well. Deals for phones are going to be few and far between and if your phone breaks prior to the 2 year period you're going to be SOL.

Obviously the big three are used to their profit margin being at a certain rate, so even bigger cut backs will accrue in regards to personnel. The majority of all call Centre workers are outsourced but all 3 companies do have quite a few Canadian vendors who might see their jobs going to the Philippines.

So yeah, I'm sure a lot of people are going to be pretty excited but I honestly don't see the appeal of it

I can see your point here, nobody would like people losing their jobs over a little saving if any. Let's just wait and see how it goes!

That's the thing though, with FS and BB, they didn't actually upgrade the TIV of the games you traded in for the T1/T2/etc. promos; they just scanned them in at the regular TIV, and paid off the rest of the bill themselves. I think they were actually paying the tax on the entire bill on their "house account". I would have to check one of my old receipts to be sure, but that's how it seems anyway.

That's still the case, actually -- if you watch when they scan the games through, it still only scans the TIV. They have to manually add on the remaining amount to get it up to$40 or $60.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
T1 for Animal Crossing at both Futureshop and Best Buy this weekend. Hopefully NSMBU stays on the list.

Might have something to trade in for that. Hopefully I have something on the list, or I can pick up something else for cheap.

I haven't played Animal Crossing since the Gamecube, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit, so I'm tempted to pick it up. I'm still using an OG 3DS, and the Animal Crossing XL is really tempting me because it's so close to pure white. I really don't really want my XL to look like a pop tart though. If only they'd have included the symbols as a faceplate or decal or something instead. :(

Lexxism

IF AC:NL is included in the T1 then I can take the risk of pre-ordering the game since I can trade it right away if I don't like it.

iphys

IF AC:NL is included in the T1 then I can take the risk of pre-ordering the game since I can trade it right away if I don't like it.

Wait, what are you saying? If you don't like it you want trade a used AC for a new AC so you can return the sealed copy to get your money back?

Lexxism

Wait, what are you saying? If you don't like it you want trade a used AC for a new AC so you can return the sealed copy to get your money back?

Ah. I read it wrong. No wonder I was confused at first since I thought it was T1 for $40. Looks like I need to think again if I'm going to buy it :lol

Top Bottom