• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

npanciroli

Neo Member
Well I think I will do two batches of e3 pre-orders.

WiiU: X, Smash, Bayonetta 2
PS4: NHL15, Destiny and something else.

Might have two do another batch for PS4 if I get hyped for some games.

espher

I have 2-3 games that I pre-ordered through the not-as-good Best Buy promo... hopefully I can order them cheaper through the FS sale this year. :p

Palehorse

I have The Division preordered from last E3 but that's it. I also preordered Destiny at amazon for $60 a while back but this deal should beat that.

Here's my presumed list barring any new hype:

Destiny
Witcher 3
Dragon Age 3
Shadows of Mordor

So if I pre-ordered these games already in a large quantity will this discount be applied with Future Shop or do I need to cancel them and pre-order again?

Returners

Bestbuy that's doing the Buy 3 for 30% off according to RFD this E3.

That's 21 bucks off 70. Which is 49 per game.

EDIT: Futureshop is doing $20 off for 3.

So possibly 3DS/Vita games from FS and home console games from Bestbuy.

UberTag

How do cancellations work if we pre-order three games, one of them ships this year and the other 2 ship in 2016 or later (and are essentially vaporware)?
We still only get charged for the one game that ships and not the whole thing in one shot, correct?

zroid

Banned
How do cancellations work if we pre-order three games, one of them ships this year and the other 2 ship in 2016 or later (and are essentially vaporware)?
We still only get charged for the one game that ships and not the whole thing in one shot, correct?

correct

also FYI you can't manually cancel orders that are partially shipped. you have to call/email them to do it.

Omlagus

You get charged for each game in the order as it ships. At least that's how it's worked with my previous BB orders from last year. I assume FS is the same.

beta_fuse

It's pretty much the same deal. Also, $20 off 3ds/Vita games sounds really good although I have a feeling they are going to change it to $10-$15 for handheld games. Either way I'm taking advantage, love these E3 deals.

mdubs

Banned
It's pretty much the same deal. Also, $20 off 3ds/Vita games sounds really good although I have a feeling they are going to change it to $10-$15 for handheld games. Either way I'm taking advantage, love these E3 deals.

No way they are going to do strictly $20 off hand held games. They'll do maybe 33% off like last year if we are lucky.

Takuan

Gonna learn my lesson from last E3 sale and simply pre-order anything that looks even remotely interesting. No reason not to, barring financial limitations.

Unrelated: Is anyone interested in an eshop code for any of the MK8 free game offers? I don't mind selling.

krae_man

Probably the other way around. The $20 off at FS will probably have a $50/game minimum.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Slightly off topic but this is probably the best place to ask... I'll be going to Montreal this weekend, and was wondering if there were any cool stores for retro game deals in the area?

kitzkozan

Best Buy deal is better for me because of the reward zone points (I'm registered to the gamer's club so it should give me a nice amount of points as a bonus). :) The best we could of hoped for was 33% like last year, but the price are higher anyway so it would amount to 46$ (an increase of 9$ from last year isn't catastrophic, although still underwhelming).

I'm probably going to order 3 - 4 games max anyway since there isn't much coming this year that I absolutely need to play day 1 (will order The Last of Us remastered, Arkham Knight, Metro Redux if available). It will depend on new announcement as well such as concrete release date for FF XV which I might be tempted to pre-order. Smash Bros Wii U or a new Zelda could be worthy of a pre-order as well, but we will see.

TimeKillr

Slightly off topic but this is probably the best place to ask... I'll be going to Montreal this weekend, and was wondering if there were any cool stores for retro game deals in the area?

Not especially anymore :(

There's going to be one opening soonish (afaik) from a dude called Papa Cassette, but otherwise the only one I know of is Gamezone in Verdun (between the Lasalle metro and the De L'Eglise metro on the green line) but otherwise, not really. The Gamebuzz stores all closed down (thankfully - they were ripping people off with retro stuff) so you're essentially SOL :(

Gamezone still overprices some stuff, and they have a smaller selection than they used to (they also rent DVDs, heh) but it's still a cool little independent game store, which are getting stupidly rare.

espher

You can change the card charged right?

You have to call because their websites are garbage, and then hope the CSR actually makes the change so you don't get day-of-shipping "sorry we couldn't process your card" notifications forcing you to call again hoping they actually make the change so you don't get one-week-after-release "hey we cancelled your order because your card didn't work thanks anyway <3" messages.

/superbitter.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Not especially anymore :(

There's going to be one opening soonish (afaik) from a dude called Papa Cassette, but otherwise the only one I know of is Gamezone in Verdun (between the Lasalle metro and the De L'Eglise metro on the green line) but otherwise, not really. The Gamebuzz stores all closed down (thankfully - they were ripping people off with retro stuff) so you're essentially SOL :(

Gamezone still overprices some stuff, and they have a smaller selection than they used to (they also rent DVDs, heh) but it's still a cool little independent game store, which are getting stupidly rare.

Ugh, I can't recommend Gamezone. Their stuff is ridiculously overpriced, it's not even funny. At this point any random eBay seller is a better deal.

Sealtest

Is there no way to hide cancelled orders on futureshop? Mine have been building up everytime i cancel something to get a new better deal.

Palehorse

You know what? I just put Bulletstorm into a cart to check out the shipping cost and it still put it at free shipping. I tried to put the order through via paypal and it errored out so i went to my CC and it went through...but I don't have an email on the order yet.

I'll report back when I get more info.

Edit: I have the confirm email now, will wait to see if they actually ship it.

I can confirm this has been shipped. Not sure how I got through the system but free shipping on a $3 item is fine in my books.

TimeKillr

Ugh, I can't recommend Gamezone. Their stuff is ridiculously overpriced, it's not even funny. At this point any random eBay seller is a better deal.

It's gotten that bad? A few years ago it was fine (I live close by, so I sometimes went there to buy games on release night) but I haven't been in a while so I don't know how their retro prices are anymore :(

And inetvideo doesn't have retro games, really. It has PS2 games, I guess, but nothing you could really call retro (last time I went it had PS2 games, but it was a shit store).

Teksavvy is great until you actually have to deal with them.

I'm moving to a new address in a week and I'm on one of their old plans.

They have to:
- First downgrade my plan to their lowest tier. I pay less but I'm stuck with this for the next week and a half.
- Then I have to call back to actually put in the order for the move of service.
- Charge $65 for the move.
- Then I have to call them again to upgrade my service to one of their new packages.
- Order a new modem.

If they weren't so great the rest of the time I would tell them to fuck off. Moving is stressful enough.

krae_man

Yeah, their customer service is ass. I think it's part them sucking and part them having to rely on Rogers who dicks them over as much as they can legally get away with.

UberTag

With the alternatives we're stuck with (i.e. Rogers, Bell, etc.), I'm willing to tolerate a lot of warts from Teksavvy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm reading back through the thread. 50 dollar games is probably a bit too much for me outside of the essentials. At least nothing is coming out this year that's worth getting, I suppose.

UberTag

I'm reading back through the thread. 50 dollar games is probably a bit too much for me outside of the essentials. At least nothing is coming out this year that's worth getting, I suppose.
Very little is ever worth getting on Day 1.
The exception being rich multiplayer-focused titles (if that's your thing) and games with limited print runs that may be hard to find later (which is largely mitigated now by digital distribution).

I make it a point to support the indie devs and the niche-based enthusiast titles out of the gate to encourage more of them. But that's about it.

I'm ordering everything I might remotely want. If I get it and still have no interest I can still just return it to FS.

And after hours of waiting for Canada Post's reply after I direct messaged them my tracking number, they simply respond

Which is a link I already had access to on the page where it tells me my tracking number doesn't have any information...

If you haven't been able to get anything from CP yet, call them. Select whatever first option takes you to tracking and then hit 0. It'll connect you with a CSR.

Weird question, but has your mailbox changed at all recently? Removed, construction near it.. anything like that.

MarkusRJR

I seriously want to move to Montreal after I finish schooling here. How is cost of living over there (versus Southern Manitoba), and what're the best cell phone providers? Is there anything like MTS over there (unlimited everything for $60 or so with the best coverage versus the big three)?

Oh and how is the job market there? Are there any positions/industries that'd be easy to get into? I haven't picked a faculty yet or really decided 100% what sort of career I want.

frequency

$50 + tax is too high for me to buy games I'm just remotely possibly interested in.

I'll only pre-order games I know I want, which actually isn't much these days.

Lately I have been skipping a lot of games that at the regular prices I would've bought to have it "just in case". At first I was concerned I would feel like I miss out if they stop stocking in Canada since many games I am interested in are more niche. But after skipping all these games I found that I just don't care as much as I thought I did. I don't care if I never get to play those games. I have so many others I actively want to play that it doesn't affect me at all to miss the ones I think I may possibly maybe have a chance of being interested in at some point in the future.

I found that I was actually TERRIBLE with managing our money. So this price increase may have actually been a significant positive in forcing me to change my spending habits...

Last year I would've been preparing lists of games to pre-order right now. This year, I just don't really care that much.

Razdek

Banned
This $69.99 price for games is the biggest scam these publishers are doing and it's not even in line with the exchange rate. $50 is considered a deal now when just last year it was at $40. If the dollar goes back to or close to parity will they drop the prices back down?

Luigi87

If you haven't been able to get anything from CP yet, call them. Select whatever first option takes you to tracking and then hit 0. It'll connect you with a CSR.

Weird question, but has your mailbox changed at all recently? Removed, construction near it.. anything like that.

Oh I didn't know about pressing 0. I'll try that as today is another day with no delivery. Thanks.
And nope, my address is the same as it has always been.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Very little is ever worth getting on Day 1.
The exception being rich multiplayer-focused titles (if that's your thing) and games with limited print runs that may be hard to find later (which is largely mitigated now by digital distribution).

I make it a point to support the indie devs and the niche-based enthusiast titles out of the gate to encourage more of them. But that's about it.
I'm probably going to preorder as many Japanese games as they put up for pre-order, as well as any 3ds/vita titles. But still like yet another BF or AC or CoD? I'm fine with not playing them.

Even the multiplayer stuff isn't coming any time soon, outside of Destiny which you probably should have pre-ordered last year anyway.

I'm ordering everything I might remotely want. If I get it and still have no interest I can still just return it to FS.

After two years of doing that, I still have games like Gears of War Judgement sealed. What a mistake. lol
I'm still not sure if I want to keep Watchdogs. On the one hand, I got it cheap, but on the other hand, I really don't want to play it.

Oh I didn't know about pressing 0. I'll try that as today is another day with no delivery. Thanks.
And nope, my address is the same as it has always been.

Not necessarily your address, but anything to do with your physical mailbox. Recently shipped a gift to my fiancee's mom and I kept getting cryptic responses from CP about "The box". Turns out they were doing work on the front of the house and the mailbox was taken down. The CP delivery guy wouldn't even put a door knocker even though the door was still accessible.

if the prices of games comes back down to $60 will we get our prices adjusted later or will they stay locked at $50 per game?

i assume it will stay locked because I still had/have WatchDogs, Destiny, and Division slated for $40 and the price wasn't adjusted when the CAD fell.

Luigi87

Not necessarily your address, but anything to do with your physical mailbox. Recently shipped a gift to my fiancee's mom and I kept getting cryptic responses from CP about "The box". Turns out they were doing work on the front of the house and the mailbox was taken down. The CP delivery guy wouldn't even put a door knocker even though the door was still accessible.

Unfortunately no. My area has been completely clear of construction. Not obstructing anything, anywhere. As it stands this package remains a phantom until I call.

Unfortunately no. My area has been completely clear of construction. Not obstructing anything, anywhere. As it stands this package remains a phantom until I call.

Good luck! Just be forewarned that you may get someone who knows nothing. It took 3 calls before someone actually looked into what the cryptic box issue was.

Lexxism

if the prices of games comes back down to $60 will we get our prices adjusted later or will they stay locked at $50 per game?

i assume it will stay locked because I still had/have WatchDogs, Destiny, and Division slated for $40 and the price wasn't adjusted when the CAD fell.

They won't do that. It's like asking them to adjust the price from $60 to $70 from last year pre-order.

Top Bottom