• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Returners

if the prices of games comes back down to $60 will we get our prices adjusted later or will they stay locked at $50 per game?

i assume it will stay locked because I still had/have WatchDogs, Destiny, and Division slated for $40 and the price wasn't adjusted when the CAD fell.

Yeah... no way. They didn't increase the price for last E3. Doubt they'll decrease the price.

moris

I think that if the price decreases until the game comes out you can always call them to adjust the price according to their policy? (if they haven't done it automatically)

I still have my orders from the last E3 too. Good thing they don't increase the price on preorders.

Best Buy said:
Pre-Order Guarantee. Our Pre-Order Guarantee ensures that if the price of an item you pre-ordered drops before it ships, you will automatically be charged the lower price. It also ensures that if you pre-ordered your item at $49.99 and the price rises to $59.99, you still only pay $49.99.

mdubs

Banned
I think that if the price decreases until the game comes out you can always call them to adjust the price according to their policy?

I still have my orders from the last E3 too.

Nope, they don't allow this. I know because Wind Waker dropped in price before release and they did not discount it further.

UK leaks but maybe the same kinect bundle for NA?

Kinect-Sports-Bundle.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Have you tried quoting them their FAQ ?
They won't reduce it because the promo is over and the promo price is still lower than the regular price at release. They don't care what the price was before the promo.

Wind Waker HD from last year.

Announced Price: $60
Price after E3 Promo: $40
Price at Release: $50

"Sir you are already paying less than what the price is right now. If the game was priced lower than $40 then you would pay the lower price."

a little word of warning to anyone getting a refurb wii u from nintendo. Ordered 26 days ago, still haven't received it.

Turns out first shipment had incomplete label, CanadaPost blames Nintendo, Nintendo doesn't know what happened.

Then they ship a another one with Xpress, and its been 4 business days only to find it hasn't even gone out yet.

A little google search brings up people with the exact same problem, the shipping department of Nintendo of Canada seems a tad incompetent.

Customer service for both CanPost and Nintendo is useless (Canada Post especially).

So stay away its not worth saving 50 bucks!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It's gotten that bad? A few years ago it was fine (I live close by, so I sometimes went there to buy games on release night) but I haven't been in a while so I don't know how their retro prices are anymore :(

And inetvideo doesn't have retro games, really. It has PS2 games, I guess, but nothing you could really call retro (last time I went it had PS2 games, but it was a shit store).

For new games they're alright, but anything "retro" is ridiculous. The only thing I can remember from the top of my head is a GBA SP (not the 101 model) in pretty average condition for $100. If it's "old" and a bit popular, you can be sure you'll pay at least the eBay price or more.

khaaan

I seriously want to move to Montreal after I finish schooling here. How is cost of living over there (versus Southern Manitoba), and what're the best cell phone providers? Is there anything like MTS over there (unlimited everything for $60 or so with the best coverage versus the big three)?

Oh and how is the job market there? Are there any positions/industries that'd be easy to get into? I haven't picked a faculty yet or really decided 100% what sort of career I want.

If you're looking for single bedroom apartments I'd say you're going to be paying in the range of $700-$900 a month. The inclusion of utilities will vary from place to place. I'm not so sure about cell phone providers. I don't think there's an equivalent to MTS, there's Wind Mobile that offers unlimited everything for $60 but their service can be shoddy.

jmoe316

They won't reduce it because the promo is over and the promo price is still lower than the regular price at release. They don't care what the price was before the promo.

Wind Waker HD from last year.

Announced Price: $60
Price after E3 Promo: $40
Price at Release: $50

"Sir you are already paying less than what the price is right now. If the game was priced lower than $40 then you would pay the lower price."

I must have gotten lucky because when I called in back then, the guy took an extra 10 dollars off to reflect the price change, meaning u got the game for 30.

I seriously want to move to Montreal after I finish schooling here. How is cost of living over there (versus Southern Manitoba), and what're the best cell phone providers? Is there anything like MTS over there (unlimited everything for $60 or so with the best coverage versus the big three)?

Oh and how is the job market there? Are there any positions/industries that'd be easy to get into? I haven't picked a faculty yet or really decided 100% what sort of career I want.

I've moved to Montreal not too long ago. Are you looking for a position in a specific field? What are you taking in school?

If you're looking for single bedroom apartments I'd say you're going to be paying in the range of $700-$900 a month. The inclusion of utilities will vary from place to place. I'm not so sure about cell phone providers. I don't think there's an equivalent to MTS, there's Wind Mobile that offers unlimited everything for $60 but their service can be shoddy.

Wind is in Montreal? Or you talking about them offering Unlimited Canada for $60 with no roaming charges ?

iphys

a little word of warning to anyone getting a refurb wii u from nintendo. Ordered on 26 days ago, still haven't received it.

Turns out first shipment had incomplete label, CanadaPost blames Nintendo, Nintendo doesn't know what happened.

Then they ship a another one with Xpress, and its been 4 business days only to find it hasn't even gone out yet.

A little google search brings up people with the exact same problem, the shipping department of Nintendo of Canada seems a tad incompetent.

Customer service for both CanPost and Nintendo is useless (Canada Post especially).

Nintendo of Canada is a joke. When I did the 3DS rebate in the spring of 2012 they never sent my rebate to me or my friend within a month of when they said they would, and I had to contact Nintendo of America before they finally gave them a kick in the pants and sent my cheque.

I've moved to Montreal not too long ago. Are you looking for a position in a specific field? What are you taking in school?

Wind is in Montreal? Or you talking about them offering Unlimited Canada for $60 with no roaming charges ?

Wind is not in Montreal, and the $60 plan only offers unlimited calls to Canada, NOT unlimited Canadian roaming, which you would be if you tried to get a Wind phone to work in Montreal.

It's pathetic that the state of our cell networks is such that Wind can offer unlimited U.S. roaming no problem (for relatively cheap, even!) but can't provide unlimited service (on its own or other networks) outside of select urban areas.

Oneself

Cellphone GAF: If you plan on moving to Montréal, you should check out for Videotron's offerings. They have pretty good Canada-wide / roaming plans for a reasonable price (and with a decent amount of data, roaming as well).

ohlawd

ahh shit wanted to cancel Tomodachi Life since I don't have time to play (fucking Mario Kart) but they charged me already and I don't wanna deal with returning and crap.

So according to RFD, it looks like 30% off at BB, and $20 off at FS. What works out better?

Future Shop in nearly all cases, especially if it's straight $20 including 3DS/Vita games (and games under $69.99). Best Buy is better by exactly one dollar for $69.99 games, but then why on earth are you pre-ordering $69.99 games like a goof.

That said, do we actually know FS is a straight $20 off? Also, in previous years, Best Buy's included some games in the pre-order sale that FS didn't, meaning you really only had one choice anyways.

tkalamba

a little word of warning to anyone getting a refurb wii u from nintendo. Ordered 26 days ago, still haven't received it.

crap... I jumped on this offer earlier this week....

Lexxism

So according to RFD, it looks like 30% off at BB, and $20 off at FS. What works out better?

Ordering 64.99 and below, FS will be the best for that. BB has the $1 off advantage with FS for $69.99 price tag. I think the reward zone(gamer's club) is also good especially that they offer a 2x points for every dollar spent

mdubs

Banned
FutureShop said:
Hi gaming lovers!

Great news! As you probably know, E3 is coming up next week. As always we will have some great coverage of the event so please stay tuned. But ALSO we will have a GREAT promotion involving game pre-orders. Here are the details!
How to get this deal:

1) The more games you pre-order, the more you SAVE! Your discount doubles for every three games you add to your cart. See this below
2) Add any pre-order game to your cart and SAVE! Savings vary by pre-order price. See details below.

Quantity/Price
You SAVE:
1 game in cart
Up to $10
2 games in cart
Up to $10 per game.
3 or more games in cart
Up to $20 per game.

Disclaimer & Details:
Offer valid only at Futureshop.ca on all pre-order games from June 10, 2013 to June 13, 2013.
Discounted amount above are based on games priced at $59.99. Games priced at $39.99 will give you in-cart SAVINGS of $6.67 or $13.33, and $49.99 games give you in-cart SAVINGS of $8.33 or $16.66. The discount will be applied to the lowest prices games first. For example: Add three $49.99 games to cart and one $59.99 title, you SAVE $59.98 ($16.66+$16.66+$16.66+$10). Collector’s and Limited Editions are not eligible for the discount.
Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer cannot be applied to past purchases. Future promotions (SteelBooks, DLC, Gifts with Purchase, etc.) will not be retroactively added to your order. Quantities are limited. Sorry, no rainchecks. This offer is not valid on out-of-stock and sold out games. Full details are available in-store

Last year's promo for everyone's information. They are definitely not going to be doing a straight $20 off this year, last year you got 33% off the purchase price.

Lexxism

Last year's promo for everyone's information. They are definitely not going to be doing a straight $20 off this year, last year you got 33% off the purchase price.

Nice. $45 for a WiiU game is not that bad. Will this be up midnight?

edit: never mind. It says June 10

How does it work when you pre-order a game but a LE/CE is announced at a later date? I'm guessing you probably can't just switch the order, right?

Tiktaalik

Notsureifserious.jpg

Yeah seriously there's no mom n' pop game stores worth visiting and not really any really special hobby/comic shops worth visiting either.

There are comic shops and board game stores around town, and they'll probably have most things you'll be looking for, but they really aren't that special enough that they're worth going out of your way for.

The only special and interesting comic/hobby shop I think is Lucky's on Main street, because they specialize in artsy, independent comics and books, as well as kids and young adult stuff, and that's a neat specialization that you don't see a lot elsewhere.

Luigi87

So I didn't call Canada Post yesterday deciding to give them one more day...

Turns out my package was attempted delivery yesterday, but the courier didn't leave my notice in the mail, and delivered the notice today, so it's been sitting at my local SDM since yesterday!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Question for Vancouverites; heading out there next week. Any good gaming and hobby shops worth checking out?

Check out Game Deals in New Westmister. It's right near Columbia skytrain on Columbia street, a few blocks east of the station and has a huge NES controller I'm the window.they often have a great collection of old school and rare games, and have good deals on new stuff.

If you are looking for board games, there's a decent shop in Tinseltown mall right off of Stadium station.

The Flea Market on Terminal ave, also has some good little game shops. One vendor in particular has lots if old PlayStation and Nintendo stuff and good prices.

There's another shop in new west too,right off of Canada way and 6th ave, but I forget the name...Press Start?

Isn't Best Buy better because you earn reward points when you spend money? Obviously for the games that are over $65.

Oh boy, I could get 48 reward points (or 96 reward points if I have that x2 bonus on games that I don't even know is still on)!!!!!

800 points is $10 in credit, so we're talking anywhere between $0.60 and $1.20 in Best Buy credit. And that's assuming you actually get credited the points; with pre-orders you don't get the credit until the games actually ship, so every time you get a new game you'll have to go onto the Reward Zone site and make sure you actually got credited, or go through the process to record your credit properly (which might be as simple as inputting your invoice number but usually for me required an email to Reward Zone with all my details).

I basically ignore Reward Zone points now as the program's gone significantly downhill in the past few years, even without their random recording failures.

... hey :(

they aren't 69.99 each after the deal but I get what you mean :(

Solidarity :( :( :(

How does it work when you pre-order a game but a LE/CE is announced at a later date? I'm guessing you probably can't just switch the order, right?

Depends. Usually, you get nothing. I think some people have managed to convince the phone rep to move their discount to an LE/CE. On a few games, Future Shop just straight-up screwed up and sent EVERYONE who ordered the normal edition in the E3 promo the limited/collector's edition instead. So it's like one of those prize wheels where 99% of the wheel is "screw you" and 1% is "free upgrade to the CE!"

krae_man

I can't believe Bestbuy's Gamers Club has been so useless. We used to get coupons and special offers. I got Uncharted Golden Abyss free with my First Edition Vita preorder, but now the rewards zone emails are a complete waste of time and all you get is the double points.

Tiktaalik

Check out Game Deals in New Westmister. It's right near Columbia skytrain on Columbia street, a few blocks east of the station and has a huge NES controller I'm the window.they often have a great collection of old school and rare games, and have good deals on new stuff.

If you are looking for board games, there's a decent shop in Tinseltown mall right off of Stadium station.

The Flea Market on Terminal ave, also has some good little game shops. One vendor in particular has lots if old PlayStation and Nintendo stuff and good prices.

There's another shop in new west too,right off of Canada way and 6th ave, but I forget the name...Press Start?

All of this is true but are they, to quote Space Bridge, "worth checking out?" If Space Bridge is coming over to Vancouver on vacation for a weekend then he should skip all this stuff because there is way more interesting stuff in Vancouver and it's not worth spending the time to go out into the suburbs to see these shops. In the grand scheme of things these are all B tier shops.

If Space Bridge is moving here permanently then yeah he should check them out at some point.

Needham

How about buying refurb wiimote+nunchuk from them? Any horror stories?

I got my 2 remotes plus nunchucks right quick when I ordered them. They're great quality too. Also had very quick turn around when having a slide pad on a 3DS repaired.

All of this is true but are they, to quote Space Bridge, "worth checking out?" If Space Bridge is coming over to Vancouver on vacation for a weekend then he should skip all this stuff because there is way more interesting stuff in Vancouver and it's not worth spending the time to go out into the suburbs to see these shops. In the grand scheme of things these are all B tier shops.

If Space Bridge is moving here permanently then yeah he should check them out at some point.

I think that's up to him. All of these are close to a skytrain, so it's not hard or long to travel to any of them. Also, if he wants specialty games I'd say Game Deals is definitely worth going to.A shop with a great collection of rare old games for less than they are worth, as well as cool game shirts and other collectavles, nice staff to geek out with sounds exactly like what he was asking for ;).

On the other hand, Ya, there are lots of other things to do in Van.

I'd recommend Granville Island, Cirque du Soliel, Wreck Beach, Granville Street. Vancouver is all about the secrets. Lots of great restaraunts here too, like Anton's pasta, Neighbours Pizza, Stephos for Greek.

Oh boy, I could get 48 reward points (or 96 reward points if I have that x2 bonus on games that I don't even know is still on)!!!!!

800 points is $10 in credit, so we're talking anywhere between $0.60 and $1.20 in Best Buy credit. And that's assuming you actually get credited the points; with pre-orders you don't get the credit until the games actually ship, so every time you get a new game you'll have to go onto the Reward Zone site and make sure you actually got credited, or go through the process to record your credit properly (which might be as simple as inputting your invoice number but usually for me required an email to Reward Zone with all my details).

I basically ignore Reward Zone points now as the program's gone significantly downhill in the past few years, even without their random recording failures.

Oh, for some reason I was under the impression that you get couple of hundred reward points every time you make a game purchase. I never pre-ordered from Best Buy, so I'm not aware of how the business model works.

krae_man

LOL Bestbuy's twitter contest "Which #PS4 game from the Best Buy #E3 page will be the must-see title?"

*E3 page only lists Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, COD Ghosts, AC IV*

Oh, for some reason I was under the impression that you get couple of hundred reward points every time you make a game purchase. I never pre-ordered from Best Buy, so I'm not aware of how the business model works.

Used to be 800 points(10$) when pre-ordering + double the regular points on purchase. They killed the 800 points part so I stopped pre-ordering there.

Top Bottom