• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

MarkusRJR

Is it good to pre-order them right as the deal goes live (in terms of me accidentally not getting the proper savings) or should I wait a bit?

Also, are you able to go across platforms for pre-ordering? For example I kinda want to get Smash Bros for both platforms and an Xbone game. Oh, and do they all ship at once (eg. My 3DS Smash Bros is held hostage until the Wii U one comes out)?

Also, is there an option to charge me right now for said games or do they wait for the games to release before being charged? I'm using Paypal and I don't suddenly want to have sub-$300 or something (assuming I preorder more games) grabbed from my account on the off chance there's not enough there.

DVCY201

Hmm, so 30% off at BB and $20 off at FS. Which one works out to be the better deal in this case? If they're all $69.99 then BB would be $21 off, right?

MarkusRJR

wtf? In the detailed information it says the sale only applies from June 9th to June 12th? I got the impression the deal started?

C-Jo

Well, that takes care of about $1000 in pre-orders. I'll be back for more next week when stuff gets announced.

Pre-ordered 8 games, already had 8 left from last E3........and there are a few I'm undecided on or think the price will drop fast (Civ - Beyond Earth)..........and then whatever is announced at E3

Just gotta think of the money we save by ordering now

DVCY201

wtf? In the detailed information it says the sale only applies from June 9th to June 12th? I got the impression the deal started?

Weird. All my discounts applied in the checkout just now. I'll have to check my processed order later to see if it worked then.

UberTag

Why are people pre-ordering now when the offer fine print explicitly states savings won't be applied except for games ordered from June 9th to June 12th?
Or are we supposed to just ignore that because it's seemingly working already?

Why are people pre-ordering now when the offer fine print explicitly states savings won't be applied except for games ordered from June 9th to June 12th? Or are we supposed to just ignore that?

The system has the sale live now, don't worry, and you can always cancel and re-order if necessary

So the E3 deals have already started? Future Shop's page says June 9th.

And is the Tales of Xillia 2 LE eligible for this? (Best Buy says no LEs, but Future Shop doesn't.)

Ventara

Always that way, 3DS games were never 20 off :(

Also, the 3DS page doesn't seem to work yet

It's working for me (at least for Best Buy), and 3DS games were $20 off 2 years ago, though that obviously doesn't help now.

Anyways, I went ahead and made 2 orders.

Order 1

Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Saphire
Theatrhythm
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Xblaze Code (Vita)

Order 2

Super Smash Bros WiiU
Bayonetta 2
X
Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
The Last Guardian (lol)

DVCY201

Why are people pre-ordering now when the offer fine print explicitly states savings won't be applied except for games ordered from June 9th to June 12th?

It's already being applied to the order now. But, they could definitely change it, in which case I'll just cancel and re-order. It only takes 10 minutes, not that big of a concern.

Sora_N

But it's working, they don't change prices for stuff already ordered and it's a sale. Not our fault they set it early.

So is BB better or FS? I'm a little braindead right now lol.

Order 1 - NHL 15, Diablo 3, Last of Us
Order 2 - Witcher 3, Evolve, Arkham Knight, AC Unity, Mordor

I found the right 3DS section but I dunno if I'm ordering anything there, what kind of game is Thetarythm? Oh, it actually is a rhythm game, meh

ROFL @ last guardian for PS3

MarkusRJR

There's already 8 games I want to buy and E3 hasn't started... Fuck.

Fake edit: Since the thread seems to have gotten more active I'm just going to repeat questions again in a more list based mode (no one tends to read questions when they're in paragraphs):

1) Do they all ship together? If so would it even make sense to pre-order games like FFXV since it's delay the rest of the games (when they might become cheap upon arrival) ?

2) Do you get charged right away or only when they ship? Is there an option to charge right away? I use PayPal so I'm worried I'll suddenly get charged a lot when there's not enough in the account.

3) Should I bunch them up in purchases of 3? Assuming #1 is a yes, would 3 games per order be the best way to save money and have them arrive on time?

Fake edit: Since the thread seems to have gotten more active I'm just going to repeat questions again in a more list based mode (no one tends to read questions when they're in paragraphs):

1) Do they all ship together? If so would it even make sense to pre-order games like FFXV since it's delay the rest of the games (when they might become cheap upon arrival) ?

2) Do you get charged right away or only when they ship? Is there an option to charge right away? I use PayPal so I'm worried I'll suddenly get charged a lot when there's not enough in the account.

3) Should I bunch them up in purchases of 3? Assuming #1 is a yes, would 3 games per order be the best way to save money and have them arrive on time?

They ship as they release, if a game is cancelled they just remove it from the order later on

You get charged as they ship, even with paypal

Order them in 3's or more, doesn't really matter I suppose except adding gift cards online only seems to work for orders which haven't had anything ship yet but you can call in to add them

Ventara

1.) Ship separately, unless they release at the same time.

2.) You get charged when they release, and only what is being released. This is for CC. Not sure about PP.

3.) I recall doing this before, but I don't see any reason to do it now. I did two orders of 5.

I have a few best buy gift cards. Do I have to apply them now or can I do it later?

You can change payment method later. But might as well do it now to save yourself some time.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the discount terms have been updated for this year.

*Offer valid only at Futureshop.ca on all pre-order games from June 9, 2014 to June 12, 2014. Discounted amount above are based on games priced at $69.99. Games priced at $39.99 will give you in-cart SAVINGS of $5.72 or $11.43, and $49.99 games give you in-cart SAVINGS of $7.15 or $14.28. The discount will be applied to the lowest prices games first.

$59.99 isn't listed in the terms, but it give $17.14 discount at 3 games.

DVCY201

But it's working, they don't change prices for stuff already ordered and it's a sale. Not our fault they set it early.

So is BB better or FS? I'm a little braindead right now lol.

BB beats FS by a dollar on average. If you're really curious though, put the same order in on each site, and see the total.

Got email confirmation that my orders will be processed. I highly doubt they'll cancel it, it's only 3 days before the promotion.

MarkusRJR

They ship as they release, if a game is cancelled they just remove it from the order later on

You get charged as they ship, even with paypal

Order them in 3's or more, doesn't really matter I suppose except adding gift cards online only seems to work for orders which haven't had anything ship yet but you can call in to add them
Thank you. Guess I'll pre-order FFXV (going to regret this once they announce a collector's edition). I was mainly worried about buying Destiny, FFXV, and Mirror's Edge 2, than waiting a shit ton of time later to get them because FFXV takes 2-3 more years to release (lol).

Thank you. Guess I'll pre-order FFXV (going to regret this once they announce a collector's edition). I was mainly worried about buying Destiny, FFXV, and Mirror's Edge 2, than waiting a shit ton of time later to get them because FFXV takes 2-3 more years to release (lol).

I have orders from last year with games that are releasing 1-2 years apart lol

MarkusRJR

Kind of worried that they'll cancel all of the orders. Maybe I'm just over pre-cautious post-Lenovo price error (I didn't even order one but still made me laugh)

I have orders from last year with games that are releasing 1-2 years apart lol
Which game, Last Guardian (lol)?

Sora_N

BB beats FS by a dollar on average. If you're really curious though, put the same order in on each site, and see the total.

Got email confirmation that my orders will be processed. I highly doubt they'll cancel it, it's only 3 days before the promotion.

BB has points too, I'll just use them since it's better to get a % off usually.

Thinking of getting:
One Piece (PS3 since no Vita except at EB)
Batman PS4
Destiny
Witcher 3
MGS Phantom Pain
Mirror's Edge 2

I already got FFXV and KH3 last year lol, haha still no release date.

Ventara

Kind of worried that they'll cancel all of the orders. Maybe I'm just over pre-cautious post-Lenovo price error (I didn't even order one but still made me laugh)

They won't. This is the norm. They always update promos and stuff 3 am EST friday, whether it officially starts Friday or Monday. And even if they do, there won't be a charge on your CC waiting to be cancelled since they don't charge until it ships.

Ventara

It's not accepting my credit card because it expires before some of them ship. Fuck. How does paypal work with preorders?

Just change your expiry date sometime into the future. It doesn't actually check your CC and it only charges it when it ships, so just change your payment info once you get a new CC.

Just change your expiry date sometime into the future. It doesn't actually check your CC and it only charges it when it ships, so just change your payment info once you get a new CC.

Worked, thanks!

My damage:
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
Smash Bros WiiU & 3DS
Witcher 3 PC

I always go for Nintendo games during E3 cause they refuse to drop in price otherwise. Witcher 3 is just a good deal @ $50 with another 30% off.

MarkusRJR

The fuck, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are $45? What the fuck?
Woah I literally just added them to my card and realized that. That's robbery, wtf? Why is there a $10 price increase on a $35 3DS game.

Assuming the price becomes $40 closer the release the 30% price drop would change accordingly, right?

EDIT: Just ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby and Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. I want to see how the order comes up, and I'll pre-order whatever else during E3 week. I doubt (hope) FFXV will be sold out around then.

Best Buy is 30% across the board, while Future Shop is ~28% across the board. So go with Future Shop.

So far, though, they can both die in a fire. I can maybe put together one order with Tales of Xillia 2, Theatrhythm and Civilization: Beyond Earth, but fuck them if they think I'm going to bother pre-ordering PC games from them anymore (hello my new waifu Green Man Gaming) and fuck them if they think I'm going to accept $69.99 MSRP for Xillia 2. I'd rather pay full price at VGP. The selection will probably improve once E3 starts but even after saying I probably wouldn't make many pre-orders this year, I'm shocked at how little this sale tempts me.

Woah I literally just added them to my card and realized that. That's robbery, wtf? Why is there a $10 price increase on a $35 3DS game.

Assuming the price becomes $40 closer the release the 30% price drop would change accordingly, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

No. Unless the price drops below where the E3 discount leaves you, whatever price your E3 discount is set at is the price you will pay.

MarkusRJR

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

No. Unless the price drops below where the E3 discount leaves you, whatever price your E3 discount is set at is the price you will pay.

Well the deed is already done for Smash and Pokemon. Either way it'll only be $31.80 (not including taxes), so it's not too bad.

Why the fuck do they have Below (a digital game) listed in the Xbox One section, and have it priced for $65? That's really fucked up. Also, do you guys think Yarn Yoshi will be cheaper than $65 upon release? I don't remember what Kirby's Epic Yarn or Wario Land: Shake It cost at release. I kind of want to buy it but the possibility of $30-$40 release worries me.

Sora_N

Kept it light this year.
One Piece 38.49
Destiny 48.99
Mirror's Edge 2 48.99
Witcher, The 48.99
Batman Arkham Knight 48.99
Metal Gear Solid V 48.99
Pokemon Ruby $31.80

$48.99 as a 'deal' seems a little pathetic, I'm happy with One Piece's price, too bad it's not on Vita.

I only kept these $48.99 deals for now in case I get desperate. At LEAST it's $20 off of the current MSRP lollll.

I know I want to play Batman and MGS for sure near release though, but that's it.

Why the fuck do they have Below (a digital game) listed in the Xbox One section, and have it priced for $65? That's really fucked up. Also, do you guys think Yarn Yoshi will be cheaper than $65 upon release? I don't remember what Kirby's Epic Yarn or Wario Land: Shake It cost at release. I kind of want to buy it but the possibility of $30-$40 release worries me.

This happens every year. I think I still have a Future Shop pre-order for Jet Set Radio Vita somewhere, unless they finally got around to cancelling it after sending me the email saying they would.

I think Epic Yarn was a full-price Wii game on release ($49.99). I have no idea what the scope of Yarn Yoshi is supposed to be, though, or if Nintendo has even released many details about the game yet.

Ventara

Also, do you guys think Yarn Yoshi will be cheaper than $65 upon release? I don't remember what Kirby's Epic Yarn or Wario Land: Shake It cost at release. I kind of want to buy it but the possibility of $30-$40 release worries me.

Just order it. Return if release price is cheaper; keep it if not. Returning something won't affect your other items in an order.

Epic Yarn was $50 at release, iirc.

UberTag

I always agonize over combo orders because I'll invariably want to cancel a game out of the bunch before they release (even at a discount) and if I forego that I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning unopened items at retail.

Will need to comb through the games that are there now and rank them in order of Day 1 purchase commitment and cut myself off at an arbitrary multiple of 3. And hope I don't have second thoughts on them.

Top Bottom