• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

As someone who's had a TERRIBLE experience with Best Buy i'll stick with futureshop and pay just a little bit more.

Just curious - what was your terrible experience with Best Buy? I've always gone with Future Shop in the past because it had the best E3 deals. But I've gone with Best Buy this year due to slightly cheaper E3 pricing and the Gamer Rewards Points. If your experience with Best Buy (or the experience of others) was bad enough, I'd probably switch to Futureshop. I've never had problems with them, and have ALWAYS received the games on launch day. I live within 25 minutes of Vancouver. Do most people receive Best Buy games on launch day?

Just curious - what was your terrible experience with Best Buy? I've always gone with Future Shop in the past because it had the best E3 deals. But I've gone with Best Buy this year due to slightly cheaper E3 pricing and the Gamer Rewards Points. If your experience with Best Buy (or the experience of others) was bad enough, I'd probably switch to Futureshop. I've never had problems with them, and have ALWAYS received the games on launch day. I live within 25 minutes of Vancouver. Do most people receive Best Buy games on launch day?

They're the same company, as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised if the product is coming from the same warehouse.

BadHand

I don't like the colour blue.

I feel like we need an FAQ. :lol

1. Will I get charged right away? No, your method of payment is charged when the game ships.
2. Can I cancel an individual game? Yes. If no part of the order has shipped, you can cancel the whole thing from the website. If part of the order has shipped, you have to call/email to cancel.
3. My CC expires before some of the games ship and it's throwing an error. Change the expiry date and update your CC info before the game ships.
4. If the price of the game drops, can I apply the discount to the new price? Except in rare instances, no.
5. Do I lose the discount if I cancel one game in the future? No, each game's price is automatically adjusted to the discounted price.
6. Do I have to order in increments of 3? No, you just need 3 or more to get the maximum discount.
7. Can I order multiples and does that count towards the required 3? Yes, you can order 3 copies of the same game to get the discount.
8. Where's X? It's in the Wii U section.
9. No, I mean in general, game X. E3 hasn't happened yet and the promo runs until Thursday night, so wait until then. Bombard their Twitter/forum if it's still not up by then.
10. Why is this game $70 when it's a last-gen version? It could be a placeholder. #4 will likely apply.

-Deimos

Ordered Witcher 3, Middle Earth and Dying Light so far. Waiting for PC versions of The Division and Battlefront to be listed before I order 4 more.

mdubs

Banned
My list so far (all at Best Buy)

Xbox One:
Sunset Overdrive
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor
NHL 15
Quantum Break
Batman Arkham Knight
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3

Wii U:
X
Bayonetta

From Last Year (Future Shop):
Halo 5: Guardians
Metal Gear Solid V
SMTxFire Emblem
Smash Bros 3DS
Star Wars Battlefront

Looking forward to a good haul next week when they update with all the announced games.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I still have Division, MGS5 and Destiny pre-ordered from last year, but I added NHL15, Alien Isolation, The Order, AC Unity, Shadow of Mordor and Last Guardian so far. Obviously there are a few notable ones missing from their website at this time but they will get updated before the end of the promotion for the most part if my experience from last year says anything.

I pre-ordered about 20 games from Futureshop last year. I moved in May. I called them to have my address updated and apparently they are unable to do that. Had to cancel it. What kind of antiquated system are they running?

Ive changed the address on my order multiple times. Never had any problems, it was with FutureShop by the way.

And thanks for the order tip guys, I shall try it again tonight.

I feel like we need an FAQ. :lol

1. Will I get charged right away? No, your method of payment is charged when the game ships.
2. Can I cancel an individual game? Yes. If no part of the order has shipped, you can cancel the whole thing from the website. If part of the order has shipped, you have to call/email to cancel.
3. My CC expires before some of the games ship and it's throwing an error. Change the expiry date and update your CC info before the game ships.
4. If the price of the game drops, can I apply the discount to the new price? Except in rare instances, no.
5. Do I lose the discount if I cancel one game in the future? No, each game's price is automatically adjusted to the discounted price.
6. Do I have to order in increments of 3? No, you just need 3 or more to get the maximum discount.
7. Can I order multiples and does that count towards the required 3? Yes, you can order 3 copies of the same game to get the discount.
8. Where's X? It's in the Wii U section.
9. No, I mean in general, game X. E3 hasn't happened yet and the promo runs until Thursday night, so wait until then. Bombard their Twitter/forum if it's still not up by then.
10. Why is this game $70 when it's a last-gen version? It could be a placeholder. #4 will likely apply.
Quoting for emphasis. Nice FAQ!

Getting really hard to track this thread!
Also Knack at $20 is a must buy, one of the very few family friendly couch co-op games available and a good one too, don't believe the haters!

Yeah hard to keep track of the thread.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed Knack and for $20, BUY IT.

Sealtest

Just curious - what was your terrible experience with Best Buy? I've always gone with Future Shop in the past because it had the best E3 deals. But I've gone with Best Buy this year due to slightly cheaper E3 pricing and the Gamer Rewards Points. If your experience with Best Buy (or the experience of others) was bad enough, I'd probably switch to Futureshop. I've never had problems with them, and have ALWAYS received the games on launch day.

Terrible customer support. Sure both don't have the best people working the phones but i've always had issues ordering with Best Buy, plus I have never had a launch day delivery with best buy like I do with futureshop ( cept for MK8 )

Question.

Downloading has become much more necessary since I have PS+, and I only have an 80GB limit on my Rogers Internet.

Should I switch to TekSavvy? Isn't their bandwidth unlimited? So I can download like billions of gigs worth and not pay a single penny more?

Certainly data transfer via gaming systems affect the bandwidth and not just standard web surfing and downloading on computers.

Actually, how is online multiplayer factored in? How much data is transferred during such events? It's not something you could track... could you?

Also I have Rogers Wireless for my phone, and I think I get a minor discount for having two services.

I just want to know if it's worth the switch, and if I can easily do it.

Thanks. :)

Sealtest

Question.

Downloading has become much more necessary since I have PS+, and I only have an 80GB limit on my Rogers Internet.

Should I switch to TekSavvy? Isn't their bandwidth unlimited? So I can download like billions of gigs worth and not pay a single penny more?

It depends on which package you get, I have 30mb down/10mb up unlimited cable and couldn't be happier. The first couple weeks it would dip real real bad but that's all fixed.

The only true problem with teksavvy is you gotta either pay out for a modem or rent one, Then terrible customer service and the fact that depending on where you live depends on who services your home installation. In windsor we are forced 2 have cogeco or a third party come out and hook things up and they don't care about you at all so your below every other cogeco customer.

krae_man

Teksavvy has 300gb and unlimited plans.

Just look up on their website what they offer and how much it is in your area:

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable

Will cost you about $150 for the modem and activation fee to switch. Or you can try calling Rogers and see if they will increase your cap for free if you threaten to leave. I get sent offers for 300gb Rogers plans all the time.

It depends on which package you get, I have 30mb down/10mb up unlimited cable and couldn't be happier. The first couple weeks it would dip real real bad but that's all fixed.

The only true problem with teksavvy is you gotta either pay out for a modem or rent one, Then terrible customer service and the fact that depending on where you live depends on who services your home installation. In windsor we are forced 2 have cogeco or a third party come out and hook things up and they don't care about you at all so your below every other cogeco customer.

Hmm, I like Rogers and they have terrific CS.

Maybe they have an unlimited plan. Hopefully. But perhaps that's not worth it as I doubt I'll go over 80GB that often and it might just be better to pay any extra I go over.

Terrible customer support. Sure both don't have the best people working the phones but i've always had issues ordering with Best Buy, plus I have never had a launch day delivery with best buy like I do with futureshop ( cept for MK8 )

This might make me go with Future Shop. I already have an account there and still have pending orders. Also, a $1 savings isn't a whole lot, even if multiplied by 15-20 games. I have also gotten a lot of my packages on release date. especially since Nintendo uses Friday for their release dates now. I have even gotten one game early (SMT:IV).

To anyone: I saw that if the CC is expiring, I can put in a fake expiry date and change it before the game ship. I have read before that I need to call to change any CC info. Is this true? Or am I able to change the expiry date on the CC on their website? I have been able to change the shipping information before (although 90% of the time it would give me an error, it could eventually be done).

I will probably end up not getting very many non-Nintendo games. Wii U games only have an increase of $5 (unless they put the yet-to-be announced games at $70), so the extra cost compared to last year isn't a ton. I will probably pre-order Project Beast if it is announced, just because the game looks pretty good. But games like Star Wars Battlefront will likely not be pre-ordered, unless it looks REALLY good.

(I have been making all my posts with my phone before now. My laptop broke down a while ago, and therefore my posts have been quite short xD I decided to try plugging in my USB keyboard to my Wii U, and it works!)

krae_man

This might make me go with Future Shop. I already have an account there and still have pending orders. Also, a $1 savings isn't a whole lot, even if multiplied by 15-20 games. I have also gotten a lot of my packages on release date. especially since Nintendo uses Friday for their release dates now. I have even gotten one game early (SMT:IV).

To anyone: I saw that if the CC is expiring, I can put in a fake expiry date and change it before the game ship. I have read before that I need to call to change any CC info. Is this true? Or am I able to change the expiry date on the CC on their website? I have been able to change the shipping information before (although 90% of the time it would give me an error, it could eventually be done).

I will probably end up not getting very many non-Nintendo games. Wii U games only have an increase of $5 (unless they put the yet-to-be announced games at $70), so the extra cost compared to last year isn't a ton. I will probably pre-order Project Beast if it is announced, just because the game looks pretty good. But games like Star Wars Battlefront will likely not be pre-ordered, unless it looks REALLY good.

(I have been making all my posts with my phone before now. My laptop broke down a while ago, and therefore my posts have been quite short xD I decided to try plugging in my USB keyboard to my Wii U, and it works!)

Changing credit cards ALWAYS yields an error. You will have to call.

Eternia

Teksavvy has 300gb and unlimited plans.

Just look up on their website what they offer and how much it is in your area:

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable

Will cost you about $150 for the modem and activation fee to switch. Or you can try calling Rogers and see if they will increase your cap for free if you threaten to leave. I get sent offers for 300gb Rogers plans all the time.
Keep in mind that teksavvy will be moving to new plans by June 15th I believe so I'm unsure if he'll be able to switch in time to grandfather a current plan without paying for an extra line. The new plans are getting pricey unfortunately.

At this point, I think it's really hard to recommend unlimited plans from independents vs a Rogers Winback offer (except out of spite). Base plan price - 50% off Winback deal + $25 for unlimited is hard to beat.

krae_man

What do I need to be able to call? The CC I used isn't mine. Do I just need the order number and new expiry date?

Well you will need the order number and whatever questions they ask to verify you are the person who placed the order. Name, address, phone number, email address etc. They usually ask 3 questions that vary each time.

Keep in mind that teksavvy will be moving to new plans by June 15th I believe so I'm unsure if he'll be able to switch in time to grandfather a current plan without paying for an extra line. The new plans are getting pricey unfortunately.

At this point, I think it's really hard to recommend unlimited plans from independents vs a Rogers Winback offer (except out of spite). Base plan price - 50% off Winback deal + $25 for unlimited is hard to beat.

When the cheapest plan they offer is $50, is it really the best deal? Well I guess it's good if you want to spend $75 on 250gb(assuming it's available on that tier), but if you want to spend <$50 teksavvy is still the better deal.

Ricker

Did you guys get an E-Mail from Microsoft saying that due to new Canadian anti-spam legislation starting July 1st to click opt in to continue receiving info and stuff from them...

Just got this a few minutes ago...

Okay! Called Rogers, and for only $4 more a month, they're giving me 270GB and 30MB/s download and I think 5MB/s upload speed. They said the discount lasts... 99 months (8 years and 3 months). That's funny. XD

Not too shabby I say! I just need to trade in my modem within 5 days and I'm cookin'! :D

Thanks for the suggestion krae_man!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My first order with everything I didn't already have preordered from last year is in. I included both PS3 and PS4 versions of NHL 15 for my brother because I don't know if he'll have a PS4 this year. I order NHL for him every year because he'll be getting it at launch any way so I may as well save him some money.

Returners

I have had no problems with Bestbuy CS. Futureshop CS told me I couldn't change the address of an order and the only way is to cancel and reorder.

Never liked dealing with FS.

Did you guys get an E-Mail from Microsoft saying that due to new Canadian anti-spam legislation starting July 1st to click opt in to continue receiving info and stuff from them...

Just got this a few minutes ago...

I've gotten those from the UFC and Swiss Chalet........I ignored them

Eternia

When the cheapest plan they offer is $50, is it really the best deal? Well I guess it's good if you want to spend $75 on 250gb(assuming it's available on that tier), but if you want to spend <$50 teksavvy is still the better deal.
At their discounted prices when you do the annual cancel song and dance, yes. But looks like Hero of Legend took happily took the retention offer so I guess that doesn't matter anymore. :p

Takuan

Ordered Pokeymans/Smash U/Zelda Moose. Nothing else currently interesting that I don't have pre-ordered from last year, but I'm sure that'll change come E3. Thought about Bayonetta 2, but figure that'll be easily purchasable for $40 or less not too long after release.

So... Since i kinda missed out on last years deals with FS and BB, if i were to cancle a game on my order, what would happen to the discount? Would it go down, would it stay the same? Or would it void for the while order?

I'd say it's better to let it arrive and either sell at a profit or return it at the store. Cancelling probably introduces undesirable complications.

Oneself

Got 12 games through FS 's E3 promo. 20$ off a game will still be 20$ even if the prices go back down to 59.99$... But 30% is relative to the price of the games *now.

BadHand

Got 12 games through FS 's E3 promo. 20$ off a game will still be 20$ even if the prices go back down to 59.99$... But 30% is relative to the price of the games *now.

I hop you're not expecting FS to adjust their prices should the CAD improve

Kieli

I never liked FutureShop because their employees were desperate for commissions.

They came up to talk to me even though I look like I clearly don't have enough money to buy a washing machine or flat-screen TV. Just leave me alone.

Question.

Certainly data transfer via gaming systems affect the bandwidth and not just standard web surfing and downloading on computers.

Actually, how is online multiplayer factored in? How much data is transferred during such events? It's not something you could track... could you?

Also I have Rogers Wireless for my phone, and I think I get a minor discount for having two services.

I just want to know if it's worth the switch, and if I can easily do it.

Thanks. :)

If you are in a location where Shaw is offered I would recommend them for data caps. I always go over, but have never recieved a phone call. I don't like their pricing too much but for data caps they are good!

Really? You get games on launch day from Futureshop, but not from Best Buy? That's surprising, and is what concerned me. Anyone else have trouble getting games on launch day from Best Buy?

I'm thinking of getting a 3DS now that it's on sale but I just have a question. Is 169.99 the regular sale price for the 3DS? Has it ever gone lower than that?

DVCY201

What's this about a Target Clearance?

I have to call BB to "update my information". Sigh, that's always a pain with them. Takes too long, but I gotta do it.

baconcow

I've called Best Buy and FutureShop to adjust pre-orders in the past. They both told me it will be adjusted in a few days. Not once did I see a penny returned from the difference.

Takuan

Don't know if it has been mentionned in this thread, but I just went to Target to grab Mario Kart 8 and they had some Wii U games on sale. For start, they had 10$ off on Mario Kart 8 (54,99 $) and they also had Zelda WW at 25 $ and DKTF at 27,99$.
Damn I'm at target right now (toronto) and don't see anything indicating dkctf being that price. Nothing on the wii u either, but I'm waiting for am employee to price check it for me.

Sm3dw is 50 tho.

Edit: no luck on either the wii U deluxe or dkctf @the Leaside location. :(

Everything else mentioned was on sale, though!

Top Bottom