• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

How is Best Buy with shipping games on time? Do they usually get them in on day 1 or do you guys suggest paying for expedited?

I live in the GTA and never got a game day one. Usually day two or three...

Pre ordered:

Tales of Xillia 2 (August release)
Dragon Age Inquistion (October
please
)
The Witcher 3 (February)

Waiting for Tales of Hearts R to be on the list before I consider more.

Is the future shop site being wonky for anyone else? I'm getting error messages all over the place. I feel like they're incredibly dependable to quake whenever traffic gets high.

How is Best Buy with shipping games on time? Do they usually get them in on day 1 or do you guys suggest paying for expedited?

I'm in Markham, 90% of the time I get it release day. I've had a few come early, and a few come as late as a week. You can always buy a copy in store and return the one that came in the mail.

Rbk_3

I live just outside of Waterloo and I never get anything release day.....except the PS4, I got the day before for some reason. I was so pumped.

In the past, I have just picked the game up in store, and returned the copy when it came in the mail. I did that with Madden 25, and GTA V. Had no issues.

Past

Why do these deals not happen digitally. Get on the ball Sony.

What do mean? Sony is the best regarding digitally sales compared to Nintendo and Microsoft. There's weekly sales and occasionally flash sales with crazy discounts.

DJ_Lae

Nothing at my Target. Disappointed that I wasted gas going there :(

Same at the WEM location. My wife has the car, though, so I only wasted an hour and a half of my time sitting on a bus with crazy people.

They either had none of the items I wanted (like Professor Layton) or didn't have them discounted (One controllers). This seems to be the norm for Target deals here, maybe stuff sells well enough at West Edmonton Mall that they don't discount like other locations. No idea.

But it's annoying.

i-Jest

Extremely unlikely you'll see Return To Dreamland anywhere let alone target. That game has vanished. Rumor I heard from an eb employee that Nintendo recalled their unsold copies.

Yeah? Well the ambition lives on. If I can get my hands on Xenoblade without paying those atrocious prices on Ebay and Amazon then I can track this one down. Patient and opportunity is all I need.

SickBoy

I really like the stores they have here, there just isn't one near enough to me unfortunately. Shame they're having trouble...

Yeah, I like the store too. I see a lot of hyperbole surrounding Target, "Zellers 2.0" and such.

Maybe there are parts of the country where Zellers were different than the ones I went to, but with few exceptions their stores were in a shambles from a shelf-stocking perspective and packed with ancient stock that had years-old pricing. No, I would not like to buy a copy of Madden 07 for $40 in 2011, thank you.

The Targets where I live are clean, well organized and generally have newer stuff on the shelves.

I'll grant you that I have a real soft spot for Target. Learned to love the clearance aisle from trips to the States and I love the fact they brought it north. Seems like a great safeguard against having stuff languish on the shelves a la Zellers.

Part of the problem is clearly perception/advertising, partly in their stock buying and stock levels... I hope they give it a good college try here... I've gotten too many good deals at Target since they arrived to see it close down :)

I've really only bought clearance stuff at Target, they had some sweet BBQ accessories last Summer

But I don't shop at Wal-Mart either
Barely go to the mall that has Target to begin with anyway

Returners

Really got burned on Mirror's Edge 2, Destiny and Driveclub. Should've preordered them last year.

Speaking of which, I wish filler games would come like last year. Seems like Rainbow Six is one of those games. It's only listed for PS3/360 only.

Sealtest

I was at the Target in Windsor on opening day and god it was terrible.. Shelves were empty and the people working there clearly hated it. I miss Zellers

DVCY201

As in there was no deals or they were already gone?

No deals that really stood out, unless you wanted Ryse or Pikmin 3. Ah, but they're picked over too. Wii U Pro Controller was gone, and it wasn't discounted either.

Same at the WEM location. My wife has the car, though, so I only wasted an hour and a half of my time sitting on a bus with crazy people.

They either had none of the items I wanted (like Professor Layton) or didn't have them discounted (One controllers). This seems to be the norm for Target deals here, maybe stuff sells well enough at West Edmonton Mall that they don't discount like other locations. No idea.

But it's annoying.

Yea, I'm going to have to keep expectations in check for Target Canada, they always seem picked over and rarely discount games I find.

Really got burned on Mirror's Edge 2, Destiny and Driveclub. Should've preordered them last year.

Speaking of which, I wish filler games would come like last year. Seems like Rainbow Six is one of those games. It's only listed for PS3/360 only.

Star Wars 1313 and Dark Sorcerer. lol......which might actually be a game someday?

Fuck. Fuuuuuuck I only pre-order games I know for sure I'm gonna buy at launch... Everything in my cart is Wii-U stuff since I want all of it at launch and at a reduced price. I pre-ordered stuff like Hyrule Warriors and SMT x Fire Emblem and those don't even have a release date. That's mostly what my pre-orders are. I'm glad I seem to be able to cancel them at any time though.

That Vita pre-order line-up disappointed me. I was hoping for Disgaea 4 =(

Cynar

Yeah, I like the store too. I see a lot of hyperbole surrounding Target, "Zellers 2.0" and such.

Maybe there are parts of the country where Zellers were different than the ones I went to, but with few exceptions their stores were in a shambles from a shelf-stocking perspective and packed with ancient stock that had years-old pricing. No, I would not like to buy a copy of Madden 07 for $40 in 2011, thank you.

The Targets where I live are clean, well organized and generally have newer stuff on the shelves.

I'll grant you that I have a real soft spot for Target. Learned to love the clearance aisle from trips to the States and I love the fact they brought it north. Seems like a great safeguard against having stuff languish on the shelves a la Zellers.

Part of the problem is clearly perception/advertising, partly in their stock buying and stock levels... I hope they give it a good college try here... I've gotten too many good deals at Target since they arrived to see it close down :)

I shop at Target whenever I can. I really don't want them to close down because it's nice to have an alternative to Walmart.

One of the initial problems of Target is that they took over Zellers locations, and Zellers locations kind of sucked. So they lacked visibility and accessibility.

Then there were the prices (not great) and stock (non-existent). With business low they cut hours, which inevitably cut customer service. They also expanded too fast.

I doubt they'll pull out. Their situation is salvageable.

EDIT: also the whole credit card breach is a huge red flag and did nothing for their reputation.

zroid

Banned
I also really like Target's private label for groceries, Archer Farms. Definitely a step above Wal-Mart's and most others. At least on par with PC, imo.

The target near my place has the worst stock. They have so many copies of Titanfall for x1 and madden for ps4, then barely nothing of other games.

I can confirm half price Xbone Play n Charge combo for $37.49 at the Richmond Lansdowne location. I don't have an Xbone but I love the feel of the controller and will use it on my PC. Downloading drivers now :) ..

problem with e3 deals like at futureshop is that they'll probably add a shipping charge on top right? also delivery time is probably slower than amazon...

wish the deal was in-store, i have a FS right beside my house

Sealtest

problem with e3 deals like at futureshop is that they'll probably add a shipping charge on top right? also delivery time is probably slower than amazon...

Nope you have the option of free shipping, Sure you could pay for it bust most don't.

What?

No shipping charges, if you live close enough you'll get games on release day

This isn't our first rodeo

-Deimos

Shipping is free for orders over $20 and delivery time depends on where you live. I usually get my game on time, otherwise it's only a day late. In the GTA at least.

Luigi87

What was the point of rebranding Zellers into Target? Nothing has changed, at this rate they will go out of business.

Just to clear some misconceptions, Zellers was never rebranded into Target.
Zellers is still wholly owned by HBC, they just closed them all down by selling all their properties leases to both Target and Walmart (around 70% and 30% respectively, and the remainder of unsold properties shut down). It was less expensive for each company to purchase the properties and renovate the buildings, as opposed to constructing their own buildings from scratch.

Top Bottom