• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Takuan

I don't really want to parcel it off because I know I'll be stuck with some games I can't get rid of.

Is $600 a fair price to put this on kijiji for?
I think you'd have to price it more aggressively for it to move. That's a nice collection, but chances are that a prospective buyer won't be interested in every single one. They won't see value in games they don't want.

If you want to get rid of the entire bundle in one go, eBay might be the better option.

any decent places to buy older consoles in Ontario that aren't a complete rip off?
What are you looking for?

This isn't a deal, but I was wondering if I could get your advice in this. I have a wii u that I want to get rid of. It comes with the following:

32gb console
Mario and luigi u (the pack in version with both games)
Wind waker HD
Donkey kong country TF
ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Mario 3d world
Wonderful 101

Wii games:
Donkey kong country returns
Epic yarn
Return to dream land
Twilight princess
Skyward sword
Other m
Prime trilogy
New super mario wii
Punch out
RE0
RE Remake
Mario galaxy
Mario galaxy 2
Paper mario
Smash bros
Wario land
Xenoblade

Wii remote plus and nunchuck

I don't really want to parcel it off because I know I'll be stuck with some games I can't get rid of.

Is $600 a fair price to put this on kijiji for?

I look at that and see $550. The value of the Wii U in the market makes me think you would have to settle for $500.

Also, sell Metroid Prime Trilogy separately. I believe it's still worth quite a bit.

Same goes for Xenoblade.

Gerbs

Neo Member
I should just give up on these BB and FS pre-order deals. Games never show up on release day for me, and sometimes don't make it to me until Thursday depending on how bad Canada Post is being. Sometimes I feel like the 10-20$ savings on E3 deals isn't worth the hassle of tracking packages online and then having to drive to Sobey's to pick my game up 2 days after it is out. Richmond to Edmonton shipping Monday to arrive Tuesday is too much of a gamble I guess.

I am reminded why I stopped using Amazon.ca...

Atelier Escha & Logy is out today. In stock at EBGames.ca

... Amazon.ca?
"Usually ships within 1 to 3 months."

Why does Amazon.ca never get things on release day ever?
Why is Amazon.ca such garbage compared to Amazon.com in general?

Living in Canada is so frustrating sometimes. Stupid price hike. Stupid Canadian dollar. Stupid Amazon.ca.

(I'm ordering from there because $49.99 vs $54.99 everywhere else)

Amazon.ca has never once shipped an Atelier game to me on the release date. In fact, every single time I've pre-ordered from them, I've ended up cancelling because I managed to buy it from a physical store before I got the shipping notice. With Escha & Logy, I ended up picking it up from a NYC Gamestop (I'm in town for a work thing).

I would've ordered from EBGames except $54.99, though the irony is that it probably cost me the same to buy it here thanks to the sales tax and exchange rate. But at least I have it in my hands now.

I should just give up on these BB and FS pre-order deals. Games never show up on release day for me, and sometimes don't make it to me until Thursday depending on how bad Canada Post is being. Sometimes I feel like the 10-20$ savings on E3 deals isn't worth the hassle of tracking packages online and then having to drive to Sobey's to pick my game up 2 days after it is out. Richmond to Edmonton shipping Monday to arrive Tuesday is too much of a gamble I guess.

This is pretty much me. I guess I'll see how the E3 deals pan out this year but I think I'm done ordering from FS/BB just for this alone, never mind the price hike. I'd rather buy from VGP and pay the extra shipping cost and take the risk they'll fuck up their security again.

I boggles me how inconsistent futureshop/bestbuy/canada post can be. Living in winnipeg, I sometimes don't get new releases till a week after release though sometimes I'll get then on release day (South Park as most recent example). It's also funny to me they wouldn't leave a $10 discount vita game in a small envelope in my mail box (have to pick up at SDM) but left the SP Wizard edition propped between my door and screen door. That box was pretty big.

Toronto,

Anyone know if places like Game Centre or Game Mania are still pricing at $59.99? I know Game Mania told me they were going to continue as long as possible. I'm going to give them a visit tomorrow to see if they will be selling Ground Zeroes for $29.99 instead of $34.99.

frequency

Amazon.ca has never once shipped an Atelier game to me on the release date. In fact, every single time I've pre-ordered from them, I've ended up cancelling because I managed to buy it from a physical store before I got the shipping notice. With Escha & Logy, I ended up picking it up from a NYC Gamestop (I'm in town for a work thing).

I would've ordered from EBGames except $54.99, though the irony is that it probably cost me the same to buy it here thanks to the sales tax and exchange rate. But at least I have it in my hands now.

Amazon.ca still doesn't have stock apparently. So it's not even about getting it on release day. It's about shipping during release week. What's the point of pre-ordering if they don't even stock it until way later?

The extra $5 is worth peace of mind buying at EBGames for me. But I'm a bit bitter at EBGames right now for charging our card (and locking our bank account) for $99,999.00 (twice, hours apart). I contacted them about it but they denied having any record of such a charge and now just ignore my concerns.

Magnus

I need personal health insurance for prescription drugs. I have a regular monthly $78 cost and have to imagine a good plan will cost less than that (and give me some assistance with dental, optical, etc). Recommendations?

Magnus

Amazon.ca still doesn't have stock apparently. So it's not even about getting it on release day. It's about shipping during release week. What's the point of pre-ordering if they don't even stock it until way later?

The extra $5 is worth peace of mind buying at EBGames for me. But I'm a bit bitter at EBGames right now for charging our card (and locking our bank account) for $99,999.00 (twice, hours apart). I contacted them about it but they denied having any record of such a charge and now just ignore my concerns.

Lol what??

EBGames dinged you for $200k? What the fuck?

btkadams

what?? dude that's something that you should contact the media about.

Sora_N

I remember the EB thing. You should complain to head office.

Nymphae

Banned
So new games retail for $70 in Canada now?

Looks like I'm not buying new games anymore. Used or Steam from here on out. I actually considered selling my PS4 because of this last night. I'm sorry but I'm not paying that much for a game, and they're fucking insane if they think I'm going to pay that for a digital file.

I think you'd have to price it more aggressively for it to move. That's a nice collection, but chances are that a prospective buyer won't be interested in every single one. They won't see value in games they don't want.

If you want to get rid of the entire bundle in one go, eBay might be the better option.

What are you looking for?

i had a good stash of older consoles at my parents place that were lost in a fire. so basically everything. n64, snes, nes, genesis. this was about 2 years ago. now i have a good amount of storage at my new place so looking to rebuild them

got a dreamcast off ebay + 15 games the other day for a good price :)

Jachaos

Looks like I'm not buying new games anymore. Used or Steam from here on out. I actually considered selling my PS4 because of this last night. I'm sorry but I'm not paying that much for a game, and they're fucking insane if they think I'm going to pay that for a digital file.

I'm not selling my PS4. I haven't paid 70$ for a game yet and don't intend to.

inFamous I'm getting for almost half price now due to E3 deal last summer
PS+ still gives me great games for free
Many indie games are not too expensive and I'm looking forward to (Octodad, Hohokum, etc.)
Likewise by smaller games by bigger publishers (Child of Light, etc.)
It's not the glory days of getting 40$ gift card for a year old game and pre-ordering games for 40$ thanks to Tsilon, so of course I'm not going to get as many Day 1 games and will wait. But there's still way to enjoy the games. The only games I'd consider shelling out 70$ on are the ones I'm too hyped for (a TLoU, Smash, etc type of game) but even then I'm sure I'd find a way to reduce the price.

Nymphae

Banned

The only reason I'm keeping my PS+ sub active is the free games I get for Vita, and the minor discounts on Vita shit.

Many indie games are not too expensive and I'm looking forward to (Octodad, Hohokum, etc.)

This is not what I bought a PS4 for. I'll admit, the indie stuff is nice and swayed my buying decisions before launch, but really, I like playing that shit on my PC.

Usually these indie games are out on PC first at a reasonable price, and when it hits PS+ for free, I'm done with it and I don't care anymore (Fez and Outlast are two recent titles that come to mind. Also Terraria which I bought a long time ago on Steam for like $2. This game is $15 fucking dollars on PSN.)

The only games I'd consider shelling out 70$ on are the ones I'm too hyped for (a TLoU, Smash, etc type of game) but even then I'm sure I'd find a way to reduce the price.

I know what you mean, but yeah, even my most hyped stuff is not getting that amount of money from me, it can wait. They were losing me slowly at $60, but I'm gone at $70.

I need personal health insurance for prescription drugs. I have a regular monthly $78 cost and have to imagine a good plan will cost less than that (and give me some assistance with dental, optical, etc). Recommendations?

Universities may offer insurance to students and alumni. Price depends on age, province, dependents, etc.

I checked Manulife for UBC alumni and it's $60 a month for one person.

Otherwise compare plan providers.

Dazzler

Thinking I might take the plunge and buy the Titanfall Xbox One bundle this weekend

Any deals or specials on it? Or should I just go to my local FS

frequency

Lol what??

EBGames dinged you for $200k? What the fuck?
what?? dude that's something that you should contact the media about.

The bank declined the charges but locked my account until I talked to them about it. I don't want to make a big deal out of it. It just shook my confidence in the company.

I remember the EB thing. You should complain to head office.

I don't know how.

It's been about a month now and I never got an explanation of what happened. Though I'd really like to know what they were doing that caused the charges.

Thinking I might take the plunge and buy the Titanfall Xbox One bundle this weekend

If you are willing to deal with shop.ca you can get $25 off right away then 3% which is about $15 in ebates and $25 in shop.ca rewards to use on a game or something.

You seem to be a little late to the party.

I'm not selling my PS4. I haven't paid 70$ for a game yet and don't intend to.

inFamous I'm getting for almost half price now due to E3 deal last summer
It's not the glory days of getting 40$ gift card for a year old game and pre-ordering games for 40$ thanks to Tsilon, so of course I'm not going to get as many Day 1 games and will wait. But there's still way to enjoy the games. The only games I'd consider shelling out 70$ on are the ones I'm too hyped for (a TLoU, Smash, etc type of game) but even then I'm sure I'd find a way to reduce the price.

Pretty much this. I know that the prices have gone up but there are still deals that are going on like the $30 games at Walmart for X1. Just have to sit tight for a while until the deals pop up.

Not that I'm aware of. Just get the bundle and if at all they do any promotions, you can match it until 30 days.

EDIT: Or what MrBambinoDent posted.

UberTag

Anyone that pays $70 for a game should be openly mocked and ridiculed.
(Unless that game is Xenoblade Chronicles. In which case you shake that person's hand and let them know they've made a great decision.)

zroid

Banned
unsurprising but still stupid

8JmB6HJ.png

timnich

Not sure if this was mentioned, but all major retailers are planning on raising new console prices by $50 very soon. So instead of price drops, price increases will be the norm it seems.

Luigi87

Must have been talked about before, but today was the first time I've been to an EB in a while, and I was stunned when I saw the cards officially have printed on them "Spend $22 CAD and receive $20 USD in your Steam Wallet"
Not sure if this was mentioned, but all major retailers are planning on raising new console prices by $50 very soon. So instead of price drops, price increases will be the norm it seems.

That is ridiculous if that happens.
Sales will be certain to plummet.

Achtius

argh. I want to pick up a ps4 before they do. but sold out everywhere.

Zing

Banned
I'm on the hunt for a Mario Golf World Tour still priced at the intended $30. Anyone seen it around? Amazon raised price before I could preorder.

timnich

Latest Source flyer is showing the PS4 at $450, Xbox is also going to see a price increase. Other retailers will be following suit in the next few weeks, unfortunately.

EDIT: Shit, it seems like controllers are going up in price too. $5 to $10 increase.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh boy, Canadian retailers continue to strike back... has the dollar magically rebounded again yet? Good thing I grabbed the PS4 in time. These idiots who run the retailer divisions have no clue, screw them. I'm using online sites from now on I guess. Hopefully they reconsider these increases someday and find actual creative solutions that don't piss everyone off.

Good luck selling more Xbones guys. TitanFall won't convince everyone.

Top Bottom