• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
Price hikes combined with a few other factors have me seriously considering skipping next gen for the foreseeable future. I don't even play that many games these days, it would really be a waste of money.

I'm pretty happy with my 3DS + Vita + Wii U at the moment (not to mention PS3 games are still coming out), and I've got a tremendous backlog anyways.

Sorry publishers and retailers, I'm not biting.

MercuryLS

Banned
I knew it was going to happen eventually, I'm glad I got my PS4 at launch. There might be a chance to still get the systems at $400/500 before some of these stores change the price. You'd have to act fast.

I based it on yahoo which is 0.9028. I wonder how long it will takes for it to come back above 95 cents?

i just assume it's going to be next year. unless somehow foreign and domestic investors start to invest in canada by the hundreds of thousands (which isn't happening, mind you). too many layoffs, too many things going on right now. it's a domino, ripple effect. canada hasn't even finished sliding down. decline needs to stop first before we even have hopes of getting back up.

ohlawd

unsurprising but still stupid

8JmB6HJ.png

hahah knew it. Oh well, next Friday is going to be great :3

Lexxism

So, US Amazon apparently increased their amazon prime to $99. I guess it's just a matter for amazon CA to do the same.

i just assume it's going to be next year. unless somehow foreign and domestic investors start to invest in canada by the hundreds of thousands (which isn't happening, mind you). too many layoffs, too many things going on right now. it's a domino, ripple effect. canada hasn't even finished sliding down. decline needs to stop first before we even have hopes of getting back up.

Harper and co are expecting a budget surplus next year. That might probably give a boost to our weak dollar.

i-Jest

any decent places to buy older consoles in Ontario that aren't a complete rip off?

Craigslist and Kijij. If anything, you'll have room to negotiate a price. Your local indie game shops are a good start. They'll sell them at market value most likely. Depending on the place you might be able to knock down the price.

is Canada getting a Infamous/PS4 bundle?

Not that I'm aware of. With the dollar in the sorry shape it's in and more price hike to come, consoles especially, I'm not sure if a bundle like that will do well in the Canadian markets.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Every time someone complains about increased prices, I wonder why you haven't built a PC.

zroid

Banned
Any deals still out there for Disney Infinite? Went to Target and Costco but didn't have any luck.

Thanks.

I don't actually remember the price but I was at Staples last weekend and they had a few on clearance. Everything else was 50% off so I imagine the same held true.

I've noticed a lot of people on GAF mention that occasionally Best Buy has deals on Nintendo eShop cards. Does anyone here know if those sales apply to Canada, as well? I've never seen it advertised here.

Canon

Banned
Nope only the US gets those deals.

Also FutureShop still hasn't shipped Yoshi's New Island so I'm not getting it until like NEXT Friday.

jred2k

Every time someone complains about increased prices, I wonder why you haven't built a PC.

Yeah I can't wait to play Second Son on my PC.

I'm editing because my original post came off kind of snarky, but you advice carries no weight for console exclusives or handhelds. The poor exchange rate hurts PC purchases, too. It sucks to see games advertised in USD and then you get to the purchase page and end up paying an extra 10 cents on every dollar.

Anth0ny

Latest Source flyer is showing the PS4 at $450, Xbox is also going to see a price increase. Other retailers will be following suit in the next few weeks, unfortunately.

EDIT: Shit, it seems like controllers are going up in price too. $5 to $10 increase.

Fuck everything.

If the console price increase is coming, I'll be waiting longer to pick up a PS4 or pick one up in USA via amazon or a state in which I can apply to get my tax back (Minnesota or North Dakota does that).

Tagg9

Has any one received a shipment notice from Future Shop as of yet?

They actually shipped it out yesterday for me.

FYI, I live in Victoria and haven't received a game on release day for months from them. Hopefully this bucks the trend.

i-Jest

If the console price increase is coming, I'll be waiting longer to pick up a PS4 or pick one up in USA via amazon or a state in which I can apply to get my tax back (Minnesota or North Dakota does that).

Be sure to share your experiences if you decide to.

RE_Player

And people were calling me crazy for suggesting consoles and downloadable games would be going up in price. The end is nigh people!

wow, I'm glad I bought a PS4 controller the other day.

These price hikes are making it really tough to get excited about this new generation.

Rbk_3

Hello fellas,

I have been following this thread for the last 6 months or so. Finally got my account confirmed!

This Canadian dollar stuff sucks, but what can you do. I just hope FS sticks with their 33% off E3 sale.

i-Jest

And people were calling me crazy for suggesting consoles and downloadable games would be going up in price. The end is nigh people!

Well DLC games can be whatever Sony or MS wants to charge for them in their online stores I believe. No surprise there. As for consoles, I don't recall them rising in price like this. I've seen consoles for inflated prices online but never have I seen retail increase the price on consoles. I vaguely recall seeing an article online where places in South America (I think) were going to increase console prices. I didn't bother to read it. Had other priorities.

CanuckGAF, has this happened in Canada or America before?

LakeEarth

This is exactly why I picked up a PS4 a few weeks back when I finally had a chance to. I thought I was being paranoid, but nope, it's beginning!

Oddly enough, The Source is one of the only stores to still have Infamous Second Son at $60.

EDIT - it's $65 on that flyer, but $60 on the website

Rbk_3

This is tempting me to pick up the Titanfall bundle..
I wanted to hold off till next fall in hopes of a Bone price drop....but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.

MarkusRJR

This is exactly why I picked up a PS4 a few weeks back when I finally had a chance to. I thought I was being paranoid, but nope, it's beginning!

Oddly enough, The Source is one of the only stores to still have Infamous Second Son at $60.
Imagine if FS and BB priced the consoles at 460 or 560 (for Xbox One) and The Source is the odd one out. I'd laugh so hard
and then cry. :(

Top Bottom