• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

i-Jest

My Bravely Default collectors edition arrived from Amazon today. So excited. It's a good thing I hopped on that amazon restock. Thanks for the heads up GAF.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, looks like I'm not buying a PS4 for a while.

Prices better go back down once the CND gets back up.

Sober

Welp, opened up a few more of my 3DS games for coins so I could get 500 for the Animal Crossing 3DS pouch.

Guess I should play those games I opened. Oh and get around to buying Bravely Default.

Well, looks like I'm not buying a PS4 for a while.

Prices better go back down once the CND gets back up.

Well it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. As someone mentioned earlier, the CAD$ is supposed to go down as low as $0.82 cents.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For everyone wondering what the new EPN.TV would be. Here's the email I just received:

Hey everybody!

Victor Lucas here. I want to start by thanking you for your friendship over the years, it means so much to us and we truly appreciate each and every one of you.
Now, we are excited to bring you our very own “Next Gen” launch.

EPN.tv
At EPN.tv you will find everything you have loved, and a ton more!
New exciting content, a new site with live streaming shows and interviews, extras, podcasts, archived content, behind the scenes fun, and something we are very proud of...

Arcademy
Arcademy is something new that we’re rolling out: it’s a gaming community built around YOU! Your Arcademy account will level up over time, with daily and weekly challenges, special events, and prize-packed tournaments. Join the forum to have your say, contribute and enjoy user-created content, and take your place on our leaderboards. It’s a brand new idea and we think you’ll love it.

Cheers,
Victor Lucas and the EP Media Team

Edit: There's also a video:

http://epn.tv/all/exclusive/thank-you/

Enter the following password to get in:
epnishere

I joined.

amrod

Sony Computer Entertainment Canada confirmed Friday that the price of the PS4 in Canada will rise $50, from $399.99 to $449.99, effective Saturday. The price of the DualShock 4 controller and PlayStation Camera will each rise $5 to $64.99.

In a statement, Sony said the price increases in Canada are “to respond to changes in the market environment,” although the declining value of the Canadian dollar against the American greenback wasn’t specifically cited as a reason.

The price jump follows a similar increase on many newly released games for both the PS4 and Microsoft’s rival Xbox One console, from $59.99 to $64.99, which came into effect in January. Sony said two of its upcoming exclusive games – Infamous: Second Son and MLB 14 The Show will be priced at $69.99.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/14/sonys-playstation-4-going-up-50
:\

i-Jest

mdubs

Banned
I wanted to buy a PS4, but they haven't been in stock anywhere for the past month or so. Definitely not buying one now on principle now that the price has gone up. I wonder if this will really hurt sales here for it?

Apathy

we're going to need some inside info for the next shipment to see if they will raise the prices then at bb/fs/wm/az or if they will hold off. I really need to find a ps4 soon.

i-Jest

I wanted to buy a PS4, but they haven't been in stock anywhere for the past month or so. Definitely not buying one now on principle now that the price has gone up. I wonder if this will really hurt sales here for it?

Alot of people were desperate to buy one because of the hype. The fact that the Xbone was $100 more didn't hurt sales either. Now that it's going up in price because of the dollar I wouldn't be surprised if sales go down. This might actually stabilize stock going forward.

I'm wondering if the Xbone fans are taking this as a change in tide? If the dollars affecting the PS4 is will most likely effect the Xbone no? Welp, brace yourselves. Backlog's all stocked up. Got a few JRPG's to get through. I will weather this storm.

we're going to need some inside info for the next shipment to see if they will raise the prices then at bb/fs/wm/az or if they will hold off. I really need to find a ps4 soon.

What do you mean? The price is officially raised and it will be in effect starting from tomorrow.

I remember when Sony raised the price of ps3 from $659 to $699 and MS didn't do anything to their sku's. I wouldn't be surprised if MS keeps it the same

iLLmAtlc

Guys just me or is The Source still selling most games at US MSRP? Just saw South Park, inFAMOUS: Second Son and Titanfall at $60. Diablo 3 at $45 tho.

Guys just me or is The Source still selling most games at US MSRP? Just saw South Park, inFAMOUS: Second Son and Titanfall at $60. Diablo 3 at $45 tho.

Just checked the site and they are still selling them for $60. Also BF 4, Killzone SF, Ryse and others are still $60

Tagg9

You guys realize this is all a marketing ploy to sell more PS4s in March, right? The console is completely sold out at all the stores still selling it at $399.

AudioTechnica

Neo Member
Canadians are some of the most deal crazy people on the planet. The idea of an anti-deal is a complete anathema. This will hurt PS4 sales.

timnich

The best part of all this? Stores are scheduled to start receiving shipments of PS4s next week. Just in time for the price increase. On a related note if anyone was thinking of grabbing an extra controller, do it tomorrow or order online before they jack the price up.

Zing

Banned
After the amount of worry the PR process caused me I think I'll wait 35 years before applying for citizenship lol
The thing is that renewing your residency is the same cost and virtually the same paperwork as applying for citizenship. I renewed my card a few years ago and checked into citizenship. It was the exact same information required and same fee. A year later I became a citizen, and I never had to worry about renewing ever again.

Dazzler

The thing is that renewing your residency is the same cost and virtually the same paperwork as applying for citizenship. I renewed my card a few years ago and checked into citizenship. It was the exact same information required and same fee. A year later I became a citizen, and I never had to worry about renewing ever again.

I haven't even looked into it at all to be honest, just happy to be over the residency process

Going to enjoy it for a few years before I look into citizenship

Anyways: Picked up the XBone Titanfall bundle earlier. Titanfall is taking an absolute age to download. 90 minutes in and it's only 22% done

Sora_N

Am I just retarded or is there actually no way to 'add' a gift card to payment to an existing order on Futureshop's website? I had to call to complain for Bravely Default and I thought "I" forgot to do it properly, and then they gave me like $30 off or something which was good. I'm trying to update it again for my FFX/2 Vita order but I cannot add the damn gift card. "Check Balance" and "Apply" doesn't do anything. God, I hate their site. I think I'm set up for a credit to bring the price down to $26 right now so I won't cancel and reorder, but I really wanted to use the gift card? Come on Futureshop. :/

jet1911

Am I just retarded or is there actually no way to 'add' a gift card to payment to an existing order on Futureshop's website? I had to call to complain for Bravely Default and I thought "I" forgot to do it properly, and then they gave me like $30 off or something which was good. I'm trying to update it again for my FFX/2 Vita order but I cannot add the damn gift card. "Check Balance" and "Apply" doesn't do anything. God, I hate their site. I think I'm set up for a credit to bring the price down to $26 right now so I won't cancel and reorder, but I really wanted to use the gift card? Come on Futureshop. :/

You have to call. Yeah it's stupid...

Sora_N

You have to call. Yeah it's stupid...

I'm just gonna call and complain on Monday when they ship out my game, won't have time to call before then. It's ridiculous. The button near the area where you enter the gift card information opens up a window that's literally blank, it doesn't tell you anything.

-Deimos

I'm just gonna call and complain on Monday when they ship out my game, won't have time to call before then. It's ridiculous. The button near the area where you enter the gift card information opens up a window that's literally blank, it doesn't tell you anything.

It's Futureshop. What do you expect?

Vibranium

Banned
Does VideoGamesPlus.ca ever run limited time promotions for free shipping on newer games? I know it hurts retailers but since they're ignoring the price-hike BS I would totally buy games by the bundle from them if they did something like this.

Maybe I'll email them and talk with one of their guys. I also might ask Gabe about where Steam stands once they convert to Canadian currency, I'm expecting him to say "up to the publisher/depends on exchange rate" if he even bothers to respond, but hey, it's worth a shot.

The good news for Canadian PC gamers is that GreenManGaming and Amazon.com (fudged address) will allow us to continue to get games for the proper price, and they run sales of their own here and there. We'll only suffer on Steam sales.

Madness

I doubt MS will raise the price of their console. I can see their games and maybe accessories but not the Xbox One itself.

I remember Microsoft even cut the price of Xbox 360 by $100 to counter PS3/Wii launch in 06 to try and drive more sales. Xbox 360 used to be $100 more at launch, but dollar was at like 80 something cents then.

Of course this will harm sales. I mean Microsoft can take the hit on pure profits, they have it easier because most of their Xbox consoles ship from China to Alaska/Seattle. They have extensive presence in Redmond/Seattle/Vancouver.

So you have a PS4 sell for $449.99 and an Xbox One with free Forza or TitanFall sell for $499.99 now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
FS/BB has already upped the price to $450 on their sites like the article said it would. Sucks for people who didn't have a chance to get the PS4 before today.

Vinc

So... how long do you guys think it'll be before prices go back to normal? A year? Two years? I'll bet it's at least going to be one year. :(

Apathy

So... how long do you guys think it'll be before prices go back to normal? A year? Two years? I'll bet it's at least going to be one year. :(

If last time was any indication, never unless we complain. They will be more than happy to leave prices high if and when the dollar reaches parity.

Between games going up in price and greedy ass Shaw raising my monthly bill AGAIN I'm going to have to make some serious decisions about spending habits or maybe just go to Telus (if that's any better)

Well it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. As someone mentioned earlier, the CAD$ is supposed to go down as low as $0.82 cents.
Which is about where it should be. Our dollar won't rise against the US dollar like that again without another financial crisis, and I think we can do without that thankyouverymuch.

If last time was any indication, never unless we complain. They will be more than happy to leave prices high if and when the dollar reaches parity.

I definitely see this being the case so unless the prices are dropped back down I probably won't buy a new console.

Top Bottom