• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Dr.brain64

OMG my wallet!!

So for this e3 I have a little bit less than $1500 worth of preorders and that's not counting some games from last e3 that i'm still waiting for!

ohlawd

Too bad. I might have actually bought you another one. ;)

you're just as sleazy as Amazon ;o

That is the nice thing about Amazon compared to BB. For games like Captain Toad which may well have lower MSRPs than are being listed right now, we'll get the pre-order price protection when the price drops, in addition to the existing promotional discount (18% of whatever the price is now).

I gotta cancel my X preorder anyway. I'll get Admiral Toad, Salty Spittoon and D3 there.

Socreges

Banned
So uh, never mind the refurbished WiiU...

Over the weekend I went to Target after hearing about the clearance sales. Picked up Pikmin 3, but the $150 WiiUs were sold out. So I put it out of my mind. The next day I'm biking home and realize there's another Target at a separate mall. Just a few months old so I had no idea. I went in and saw a WiiU Deluxe! I spoke to the dept manager, who informed me that the clearance prices were an "error" and they wouldn't honour them. Fair enough, so I went home, again resigned. The next day I was near the first Target so I go in and scoop up a raincheck in the event that it's not discontinued - it is, but I grab the raincheck anyway. I go home, look at it closely, and realize it doesn't specify the store. So today I had a spare half hour, went back to the second Target, grabbed an oblivious salesperson, took the WiiU out of its casing, gave him the raincheck, paid, and made out with my 50% discounted WiiU like I'd robbed the joint.

No time to play until Saturday but I'm stoked! Thank you, guys, for posting it here.

iphys

Heart attack: I just reloaded my BB cart and it told me the promotion had expired, but then I reloaded again and all my discounts are as before.

Ventara

So if Captain Toad has a lower MSRP, Amazon will adjust it and still include the 30% discount. If so, I need to get on that. Will probably get Bayo 2 and Freedom Wars for the other two games.

Kind of a broad question, but anything on Amazon for the 3DS/Vita that are a better deal than on BB (except Freedom Wars)? I've gotten everything so far on BB, but I just want to make sure I haven't missed a better deal.

iphys

Yeah, I never really expect anything to happen after midnight eastern, although they still seem to be adding stupid stuff like boxart. I think I'll just place my order and contact customer service to see if they'll fix the discount on it. I still have a back-up order without Code Name STEAM that I was planning to cancel when I got the STEAM order placed, so I'm covered either way.

So I finally made peace with all pre-orders and this is what I ended up with

PS4
The Last of us
Far cry 4
Batman arkham knight
Destiny
Mortal kombat
The order 1886
WWE 2k15
Dragon age
The crew
Grand theft auto v
Assassins creed unity
The Last guardian
Call of duty advanced warfare
The witcher 3
Bloodborne
Metal gear solid 5
Kingdom hearts 3
Tomb raider
Uncharted 4 a thief's end
The division
Final fantasy XV
Mirrors edge 2
Evolve
Final fantasy type o
Plants vs zombies garden warfare

Xbox one
Sunset overdrive
Master chief collection
Quantum Break
Halo 5

3DS
Pokemon alpha sappire
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
Smash bros

Vita
Danganronpa 2 Goodbye Despair

I can't wait for next years E3 deals

So if Captain Toad has a lower MSRP, Amazon will adjust it and still include the 30% discount. If so, I need to get on that. Will probably get Bayo 2 and Freedom Wars for the other two games.

Kind of a broad question, but anything on Amazon for the 3DS/Vita that are a better deal than on BB (except Freedom Wars)? I've gotten everything so far on BB, but I just want to make sure I haven't missed a better deal.

Re: Captain Toad, maybe, maybe not. Depending on when you placed your order, the discount on the game may already be part of the 30%. For example, Captain Toad and Yoshi's Woolly World were both priced at $50.99, which so happens to be 15% off $59.99. Placing a three-game order that includes either one of those games would only net you an additional 18% off for a TOTAL of 30%. If Captain Toad were to then drop in price further, then you'd get 18% off that new price, not 30%. Does that make sense?

As for 3DS/Vita games that are better deals on Amazon, I think for the most part they're even. That just leaves games that aren't yet available on BB but are available on Amazon with the discount. I think the only game that falls into that category is Disgaea 4.

ohlawd

quick people, name two more games on FS that'll never come out.

I'll just order Code Name STEAM then bug CSR to add the discount tomorrow.

Okay, let's see how this year went. Deep breath

The Witcher 3
The Order: 1886
Destiny
The Crew
Middle earth: Shadows of Mordor
Evolve
Batman: Arkham Knight
Lords of the Fallen
Far Cry 4
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Dying Light
Smash Bros Wii U
Smash Bros 3DS (x2)
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire
Alien Isolation
Metal Gear Solid V
Dragon Age Inquisition
Diablo 3
Battlefield Hardline
Assassin's Creed Unity
Mortal Kombat X
Phoenix Wright vs Prof. Layton
Cap'n Toad
Yoshi's Woolly World
Zelda
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario Maker
Kirby's Rainbow Curse
Last of Us Remastered
GTA V
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Fantasy Life
The Division

Sweet lord
You did great, sir. *high five*

Ventara

Re: Captain Toad, maybe, maybe not. Depending on when you placed your order, the discount on the game may already be part of the 30%. For example, Captain Toad and Yoshi's Woolly World were both priced at $50.99, which so happens to be 15% off $59.99. Placing a three-game order that includes either one of those games would only net you an additional 18% off for a TOTAL of 30%. If Captain Toad were to then drop in price further, then you'd get 18% off that new price, not 30%. Does that make sense?

As for 3DS/Vita games that are better deals on Amazon, I think for the most part they're even. That just leaves games that aren't yet available on BB but are available on Amazon with the discount. I think the only game that falls into that category is Disgaea 4.

I think I got it. So if the MSRP is actually $40 (for example), the new price would be adjusted to be 18% off the $40?

Thanks for pointing out D4. I could've sworn I got it on BB, but I actually didn't.

I think I got it. So if the MSRP is actually $40 (for example), the new price would be adjusted to be 18% off the $40?

Thanks for pointing out D4. I could've sworn I got it on BB, but I actually didn't.

Yes. Basically, take whatever whole-order discounts appear now, calculate it as a percentage of your total order, and then apply against the new price of the game. So if your order was super early (unlikely because Captain Toad hadn't even been announced yet, but who knows?) and you actually managed to score two 15% whole-order discounts, then you would indeed get 30% off the new price. (In fact, it would actually be 33% because Amazon also updated one of those promotions to be 18% instead of 15%, but that's sort of besides the point.) For any order you make now, you only get that 18% discount on the whole order, so that's the only discount that would be applied against the new price.

Christ, I know way too much about a sale that's about to end in a few hours (maybe).

DVCY201

Ugh, I don't think BB is going to update, so I bit the bullet on FS

Overall:

Wii U
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
Yoshi's Woolly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Hyrule Warriors
Watch_Dogs
Wii Sports Club (lol)
Zelda
Super Smash Bros. U
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Splatoon
Star Fox U
Kirby and The Rainbow Curse

Xbox 360
The Evil Within
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Gear Solid V: TPP

PS3
XBlaze: Code Embryo
Persona 5

Total: $788.45, Avg. per game: $43.80

Fairly good haul, I shouldn't have to leave to buy a game at all for 2015. Although, some of these I may return.

Yes. Basically, take whatever whole-order discounts appear now, calculate it as a percentage of your total order, and then apply against the new price of the game. So if your order was super early (unlikely because Captain Toad hadn't even been announced yet, but who knows?) and you actually managed to score two 15% whole-order discounts, then you would indeed get 30% off the new price. (In fact, it would actually be 33% because Amazon also updated one of those promotions to be 18% instead of 15%, but that's sort of besides the point.) For any order you make now, you only get that 18% discount on the whole order, so that's the only discount that would be applied against the new price.

Christ, I know way too much about a sale that's about to end in a few hours (maybe).

Best Buy's sale ends but I don't think Amazon's has an end time yet does it? Like for all we know Amazon might keep going and eventually add GUILTY GEAR XRD AND KINGDOM HEARTS 2.5 (PLS) eventually.

So I've been going through a bunch of my Amazon.ca pre-orders to cancel some of the doubles I have as a result of re-ordering when prices dropped and whatnot. And lo and behold: THE PRE-ORDER PRICE GUARANTEE IS IN FULL EFFECT. So a bunch of my orders are now even cheaper. In addition, when Amazon updated the total-order discount from 15% to 18%, IT ALSO TOUCHED ALL THE ORIGINAL E3 ORDERS. So now I have 33% off in addition to the per-item 15% discount on some games.

NUTS.

EDIT: Actually, it wasn't EVERY E3 order, just the ones where the prices of individual items were adjusted, it looks like. My Destiny/Order 1886/Xillia 2 order still has two 15% discounts instead of a 15% and an 18%.

Yeah I posted about that a few pages back. I checked like, last night and earlier today and I somehow ended up with a 33% discount and it followed with me just having this evil snicker like I just cheated Amazon or something, but I feel really good about it.

The only thing I canceled from that original E3 order was Destiny, and that's cause I'm gonna get that White Destiny PS4.

OMG You're right I just checked. My orders have become even cheaper! That's awesome

How in the world are you guys checking the individual prices? I remember when placing the first Amazon order when things were screwed up, FF XV didn't have any promotion. I do not know if the promotion is applied yet because all the discounts are grouped.

I wish they reflected it. Can I request a customer service rep for individual prices?

How in the world are you guys checking the individual prices? I remember when placing the first Amazon order when things were screwed up, FF XV didn't have any promotion. I do not know if the promotion is applied yet because all the discounts are grouped.

I wish they reflected it. Can I request a customer service rep for individual prices?

I just calculate them myself. They show you the original subtotal and the discounts; simply figure out the discount as a percentage of the subtotal, and then apply that as a discount on each individual item.

Although that said, if you mixed non-promo and promo games, that gets a bit more complex. You'll have to add up the item prices of everything that's covered by the promo and use that as your subtotal instead of the whole order. Hopefully that makes sense. It's all just math, really.

Best Buy's sale ends but I don't think Amazon's has an end time yet does it? Like for all we know Amazon might keep going and eventually add GUILTY GEAR XRD AND KINGDOM HEARTS 3 (PLS) eventually.

Yup, hence the maybe. Apparently an Amazon CSR said something about the sale being extended, but Amazon CSRs seem to know next to nothing in the way of actual facts so I wouldn't assume the sale will continue beyond Best Buy's until I see it with my own two eyes.

So after all the crap with Amazon and divided orders I just redid everything over the last hour at BB, one big order for PS4 games and one smaller order for other consoles and the damage is not minor -_- I'll probably keep some games with Amazon which have been deeply discounted like Danganronpa and FIFA Ultimate Team Edition since it's not getting any discount with BB, not sure though if I trim orders with Amazon that the discount will stay!

Returners

Yeah I'm giving up on KH2.5HD getting added to the promo.

Code:
Last of Us Remastered
Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Destiny
NHL 15 Ultimate
Forza Horizon 2
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Drive Club
Battlefield Hardline
Assassin's Creed Unity
Sunset Overdrive
Halo: The Master Chief Edition
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto 5 Remastered
Darksiders Collection
Red Faction Collection
Metro Redux
Kingdom Hearts 3
Persona 5
Mirror's Edge 2
The Last Guardian
The Order 1886
Halo 5
Scalebound
Crackdown
Star Wars Battlefront
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Final Fantasy XV
Batman: Arkham Knight
The Division
Uncharted 4
LittleBigPlanet 3
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy Type-0
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Total: $1,737.99 after tax

Ondore

OK, it's 3am, there's not going to be changes, right...?

Make the final a total of $1,132.64 for these games:
Code:
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Super Smash Bros WiiU
Bayonetta 2
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Watch Dogs WiiU
Hyrule Warriors
Persona 5
Theatrhythm Curtain Call
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Persona Q
Fantasy Life
Layton x Wright
Zelda WiiU
Devil's Third
Yoshi's Woolly World
Wii Sports Club
Mario Party 10
Splatoon
Captain Toad
Freedom Wars
Danganronpa 2
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Kirby and the Rainbow's Curse
Kingdom Hearts 2.5
Codename: S.T.E.A.M

All of which I'm at least interested enough to consider, and with no PS4/XB1 because I'm on a 2yr hardware budget of a 2DS if I need it. Still have to call BB in the morning on the last three.

FluxWaveZ

hpxa5eml.jpg

UberTag

Whenever these sales come up each E3 on handheld titles, part of me regrets my all-digital philosophy on 3DS and Vita.

Jinto

what happens if I ordered something that didn't have the discount before?

can't check my orders anymore

I assume you can't just make another order and cancel your old one either? Best bet is probably to call them tomorrow.

And KH 2.5 is discounted. Now I need to find a third game. I pre-ordered everything else already. lol

ohlawd

I assume you can't just make another order and cancel your old one either? Best bet is probably to call them tomorrow.

And KH 2.5 is discounted. Now I need to find a third game. I pre-ordered everything else already. lol
time to boot up the Wii U then

Quick

Banned
So, I'm in the GTA and I'm on Amazon doing the E3 30% off sale.

If I select free shipping, will I really have to wait a week after release to get my games? I put EA Sports UFC on it, and it's giving me June 24th-July 4th as the target arrival.

Caved and made another 3 game order at BB.

Batman AK, Uncharted 4, and NHL15.

So my haul for this E3 is as follows:

Those 3 + Tales Of Xillia 2, Dragon Age I, and The Witcher 3 for $48.99 + tax.

Persona 5 @ $34.99+tax (which now not on the BB anymore...).

Totalling $328+tax.

Not nearly as much as everyone else. I originally wanted to wait till next year to pre order Uncharted 4 but I needed a filler. Besides I can always return.

I tried the same order minus Persona 5 at Amazon and I saved $1...not worth it. BB will arrive on day 1 or 2 and I get reward points.

bryt

Wow, ordered 2.5 HD then the discount didn't apply after I completed my order.

EDIT: Re ordered and now it's working correctly.

Jinto

Did anyone manage to get an order of KH 2.5 Remix in before the promo disappeared?

I'm still trying to find a third game, but both games are still discounted in my cart. The promo should be good for another 1/2 hr.

Edit:

Wow, ordered 2.5 HD then the discount didn't apply after I completed my order.

Hm, I didn't checkout yet. I'll try now and see if it works.

Top Bottom