• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

The games on that list are spread out over three years. I have a bigger list and it's manageable.

People miss that if you only by 4 games/year at the current price of $70 that's $840 right there.

I've been spending about what I was before, just getting more games (this E3 13 pre-orders added to my 7 still pending from last year. I had 5 from last year that I have received so far).

Off topic but how is Tek Savvy DSL? Might switch from their cable service. Like that 10mb upload.

Double-check with Teksavvy to see if you can get full 10mbps upload; I couldn't, and I live in downtown Toronto (though in practice I still get something like 7mbps up). What I will say is having 7mbps upload is super sweet for very specific things, like offsite backups and Twitch streaming.

In terms of general service I've had very few problems with Teksavvy, and the problems I have had can be chalked up to Bell's shitty network issues (ex. they only let you use ONE MODEM on their VDSL network, and that modem is awful). Recommended.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
EB is a garbage store that never has any good deals

I went to EB games to trade my PS3 and the guy told me to pre-order some games. And I told him, why would I pay 70$ here when I can get cheaper games from Futureshop and BestBuy. And you know what his response was?

"Well those store aren't gaming store, this is a game store for gamers"

I was hmm okay, and this justifies extra money? lol

"Yes of course, we get all sort of exlusive in game items and stuff"

Then I gave up and said, oh kk..Cool

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
To be honest it was them that started doing the trade 3 for a pre-order back in 2008, which FS and Bb saw potential and they did that for a while.

trade 3**

Minimum trade in value for games must be 15$ or higher.

Seik

Banned
What's the plan for the weekend Canada GAF?

It's been pouring here in Montreal for the last couple of days.

If FS/BB, you will have to call them in. Nothing to worry, it can be sorted out. I think you can do it online for Amazon but I'm not sure if you can edit the quantities. I know you can cancel an item individually. Either way, customer service can help you.

Playing Mario Kart 8/finish Tomb Raider on PS4 so that I can finally start Wolfenstein.

trade 3**

Minimum trade in value for games must be 15$ or higher.

It used to be 8 bucks. lol

Yeah when it first started, it was $8. They changed it after.

Playing Mario Kart 8/finish Tomb Raider on PS4 so that I can finally start Wolfenstein.

I still have to buy and play that game on the PS4. I was told that the PS4 version is substantially better than the previous gen.

Probably gonna sit around, do nothing, maybe do a BBQ just for myself. Still debating on getting Ultra SFIV.

BBQ sounds fun man!

ph00p

Banned
I went to EB games to trade my PS3 and the guy told me to pre-order some games. And I told him, why would I pay 70$ here when I can get cheaper games from Futureshop and BestBuy. And you know what his response was?

"Well those store aren't gaming store, this is a game store for gamers"

I was hmm okay, and this justifies extra money? lol

"Yes of course, we get all sort of exlusive in game items and stuff"

Then I gave up and said, oh kk..Cool

Reminds me of the time when they were updating Edge cards into the newer system the guy was so busy upselling me AC 4 that he completely ruined the sign up procedure by misspelling my name or email address, it took 2-3 months for them to fix it, they said in their emails from main office they had to get "engineers" to correct my account because of the mistake the guy had made, anyway they ended up giving me a new card.

explodet

Reminds me of the time when they were updating Edge cards into the newer system the guy was so busy upselling me AC 4 that he completely ruined the sign up procedure by misspelling my name or email address, it took 2-3 months for them to fix it, they said in their emails from main office they had to get "engineers" to correct my account because of the mistake the guy had made, anyway they ended up giving me a new card.
Ha! The same thing happened to me, they misspelled my email address so I couldn't verify it.
I'd just go and get a new one, but I haven't had to go into an EB for a while now.

J-Man

Hey CanadaGAF, I have a Destiny Alpha code and I won't be using it this weekend (when it, you know, actually needs to be used).

I know there's a thread for this, but I thought I'd give it to someone in this thread. Thanks for all the deals!

Quote to reveal.

Hey CanadaGAF, I have a Destiny Alpha code and I won't be using it this weekend (when it, you know, actually needs to be used).

I know there's a thread for this, but I thought I'd give it to someone in this thread. Thanks for all the deals!

Quote to reveal.

Me and thank you.

FrsDvl

I was just at Taget in Millwoods Town Centre ( Edmonton) and they still have a few games on sale. All i remember was Ryse for 20$ ( i think, maybe it was 30) but there were a few more.

Also saw a tag for a blue 3DS XL, for 100$. Didm't seem to be in stock, but maybe if your lucky you could get it applied to a different colour.

SickBoy

I think the weird deals they had last week were accidentally early. Those DS deals were seemingly store-by-store. Got my son a red one for his birthday. Spoiled kid!

As for EB, I've banged the drum before, but I appreciate how they influenced the market for major retailers here. They still do a decent job of marking down older stuff, but trade in deals have gotten worse and other retailers have gotten more competiimtive (with EB and each other).

I don't know if I'd pay for it, but I got a free Edge card last year that they upgraded to platinum for their new program. I do appreciate the option to return games for full credit in the first week. Worked a charm when I impulse-bought Thief at release.

Got New Super Mario Bros U at target for 25$ and New Super Luigi U for 10$ at Target. The wife almost picked the pink Wii Mote for 20$ but no pink Nunchuck... =(

All in all, Target has been great to me in the past 2 week-ends, just the 150$ Wii U was great enough! All I wanted that I could not find for cheap is Windwaker and Pro Controller.

UberTag

When did Atlus 3DS games start going for a premium? 55$ before taxes for the regular version of Persona Q, and 90$ for the CE. Wat.
Clearly Atlus USA believes their fans are loyal diehards and will pay any price for their Persona fix on Day 1.
So why not fleece them out of the gates and then put the game on sale 4-5 times a year at a fraction of the price to pick up the stragglers.
Even the US is paying $49 for this game at launch which is absurd for a 3DS title.

In the case of SMT4, I remember getting it for $20 just a couple months later.

I can't remember what I paid for SMTIV, I got the CE tho and at launch. I see that everywhere (London Drugs, Futureshop) for 40$ now. I definitely will be pre-ordering Persona Q at some place other than EB, 55$ for a handheld game is obscene.

jzbluz

Yeah, that Atlus tax is ridiculous when they discount their games relatively quickly and so often, which is why I don't buy their games full price anymore. I'm making an exception for PQ's LE since I want that case and buying it from Japan on its own is kinda expensive.

mdubs

Banned
Clearly Atlus USA believes their fans are loyal diehards and will pay any price for their Persona fix on Day 1.
So why not fleece them out of the gates and then put the game on sale 4-5 times a year at a fraction of the price to pick up the stragglers.
Even the US is paying $49 for this game at launch which is absurd for a 3DS title.

In the case of SMT4, I remember getting it for $20 just a couple months later.

I'm totally cool with this. If this is the price they need to charge to get the games over to us and keep themselves in business, fine by me. I highly doubt that Atlus is making hand over fist so I have no problem supporting them.

When did Atlus 3DS games start going for a premium? 55$ before taxes for the regular version of Persona Q, and 90$ for the CE. Wat.

There's something wrong with me because I pre-ordered the Persona Q LE, and I don't own a 3DS XL but a Ocarina of Time OG 3DS. Well, time to upgrade I guess. The 3DS XL goes on sale a lot for 169.99 so might as well get one within the next few months. I'm thinking of probably only going to Fan Expo for one day and I'll just use the extra $60-70 towards a 3DSXL around then.

Hell you know what, I'm gonna go out for a walk right now and see if I can find a 3DS XL somewhere near where I live. I need to walk off this burger I just BBQ'd anyway

Jinto

What's the plan for the weekend Canada GAF?

It's been pouring here in Montreal for the last couple of days.

I went out last night. The rest of the weekend is reserved for sports (World Cup, NBA finals, UFC, US Open Golf, Baseball, etc.) and gaming.

Just picked up the first Theatrhythm game. It's a nice little distraction, but not something I can play for long periods. I plan on starting Etrian Odyssey IV this weekend in preparation of PQ.

I went out last night. The rest of the weekend is reserved for sports (World Cup, NBA finals, UFC, US Open Golf, Baseball, etc.) and gaming.

Just picked up the first Theatrhythm game. It's a nice little distraction, but not something I can play for long periods. I plan on starting Etrian Odyssey IV this weekend in preparation of PQ.

Yeah I'm watching some sports tonight too.

zroid

Banned
I mean what do you want them to do, they are a business who is going to exploit their hardcore fans who will pay anything asked of them.

fixed

E3 deals is the only reason I will put up with this bullshit for Persona Q. I was able to forgive it for SMT4 due to the $30 credit and a half-decent mini strategy guide. No excuse this time.

mdubs

Banned

Well they are forcing you as a fan to buy their game. Oh wait, they aren't.
It's interesting that it's exploitation to charge a price for a game that helps their company stay in business.

And besides, it's not like you didn't have the opportunity to preorder the game for $34.99 like the rest of us if you have such a problem with a $49.99 price. You are posting in the deals thread after all.

zroid

Banned
I did pre-order it at $34.99. I wouldn't have otherwise.

Atlus doesn't have anywhere near enough of a pro-consumer history to be given the benefit of the doubt to the extent you are giving them. When they're pretty much the only company charging a $10 premium for games, I don't see why we should, until evidence actually presents itself.

Top Bottom