• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Some RCSS locations are doing a no tax day today.

They are here in Thunder Bay, western areas and BC areas so far confirmed on RFD.

They still had PS4s at $399.99 too, hooked up a friend. My buddy was also going to get an Xbox One but they had no Titanfall bundles left.

kitzkozan

So... how long do you guys think it'll be before prices go back to normal? A year? Two years? I'll bet it's at least going to be one year. :(

A couple of years at the very least for sure imo, which is why I'm happy to live by my new philosophy (which is akin to that of RFD :p). When there's an opportunity for a deal, seize it and think later lol. I decided that I could easily afford to get the PS4 at launch because of my vastly improved flair to capitalize on deals and trading skills thx to RFD or this thread. I don't regret getting it at launch by basically just trading in games at EBgames and profiting from their bonuses such at trade more/get more or get 20$ toward a PS4 (not to mention the crazy promo from FS/BB to get AC4 or COD by trading a crap game). Despite the typical gaming drought associated to the first year of a new console, it ended up being the best move I could make so you just never know what will happen...

dream

Some RCSS locations are doing a no tax day today.

They are here in Thunder Bay, western areas and BC areas so far confirmed on RFD.

They still had PS4s at $399.99 too, hooked up a friend. My buddy was also going to get an Xbox One but they had no Titanfall bundles left.

No tax day in Alberta too. I think I'm going to take a shot at getting a $399 PS4. If the price has been adjusted upwards, I'm just gonna say fuck it and wait for the inevitable price drop in 2016.

Is ffx ps3 going to be available on psn? Want to midnight download on Monday.

PSN?

Midnight download?

Pffffffffft.

It'll be around 4-6pm EST on tuesday, probably. Still crazy to me that Sony can't do reasonable timed updates. I mean, this week it took them until thursday to fully update the store. But yeah there will be a download version. It's like 23 GB or something though.

Keyouta

So the Xbox is the better deal now, huh? I don't think I'll be able to find PS4s here, but I could get a Titanball XO bundle.

snack

So the Xbox is the better deal now, huh? I don't think I'll be able to find PS4s here, but I could get a Titanball XO bundle.
Titanfall looks pretty badass. I've been watching some streams and it's got that gundam swag factor to it.

Depends on what you really want. If you don't have either of the consoles, and for the reason that the PS4 is sold out pretty much everywhere and the prices went up by $450 while the Xbox One remains at same price and also offers an online game that is surrounded by all hype and praise, I would say grab that Titanfall bundle.

So for those on the verge on buying an Xbox One, get the Titanfall bundle for $500 from either Future Shop or Best Buy and decide later if you want it or not. You have 30 days to return it anyway. I'd rather think later than wait for them to jack up the prices too.

Zing

Banned
What are the odds that RCSS has any PS4 systems. I thought there were literally zero on shelves in all of Canada.

PS4 price increase has little to do with the exchange rate and everything to do with capitalizing on demand. Where is the price increase for Vita, PS3, Wii U, and Xbox One?

Gxgear

PS4 price increase has little to do with the exchange rate and everything to do with capitalizing on demand. Where is the price increase for Vita, PS3, Wii U, and Xbox One?

I think it's more like retailers handed a larger bill for later shipments, because everything is dealt in USD, and not wanting to take the hit on their margins so they impose it on the customers. No price increase for the other systems because there's existing stock.

In no world is the Xbox One a better deal. At best you're paying the same amount of money (if you factor in free Forza/Titanfall) to get a machine with inferior hardware.

Granted it mostly comes down to exclusives for some people, but if you wanted to play Halo, etc. I figure money wouldn't be a hurdle to begin with.

Kifimbo

I think it's more like retailers handed a larger bill for later shipments, because everything is dealt in USD, and not wanting to take the hit on their margins so they impose it on the customers. No price increase for the other systems because there's existing stock.

This.

Same reason why the older $59.99 games (fall 2013 games) are still $59.99.

Zing

Banned
I discovered a good deal for anyone wanting to buy a new regular size Nintendo 3DS.

Best Buy sells their 3DS for $159, listed in their system as "3DS new packaging". It's the one in the smaller box. If you can find the older packaging, the larger box with the charging cradle, their price is only $129! It's the same updated hardware as the small package, but you get a charging cradle!

I paid $129 for my crimson red 3DS (old packaging) this past boxing week and regretted not buying one for my daughter. I went to Best Buy today with the intent of price matching a 2DS for $109. For $20 more, the regular 3DS with charging cradle is worth it. Now she has her own pearl pink 3DS! I'm giving it to her for my birthday.

I discovered a good deal for anyone wanting to buy a new regular size Nintendo 3DS.

Best Buy sells their 3DS for $159, listed in their system as "3DS new packaging". It's the one in the smaller box. If you can find the older packaging, the larger box with the charging cradle, their price is only $129! It's the same updated hardware as the small package, but you get a charging cradle!

I paid $129 for my crimson red 3DS (old packaging) this past boxing week and regretted not buying one for my daughter. I went to Best Buy today with the intent of price matching a 2DS for $109. For $20 more, the regular 3DS with charging cradle is worth it. Now she has her own pearl pink 3DS! I'm giving it to her for my birthday.

You're giving your Daughter a gift on your Birthday? That's so sweet. :)

So I'm posting this here because I'm tired of dealing with people on kijiji.

I have a PS4 that I just recently bought. Only played it for a couple of hours. I still have the receipt. It's a couple weeks old.

I'm looking for $430 for it and I can meet you in Vaughan.

If anybody is interested feel free to message me.

Thanks

krae_man

I have a PS4 that I just recently bought. Only played it for a couple of hours. I still have the receipt. It's a couple weeks old.

Thanks

Don't you mean $480?

BB is having some after hours online sale now, did anybody spot any deals? cause I couldn't!

Edit: Gaming headsets are 10% off including the PS Gold Headset and Xbone Stereo Headset and others!

BB is having some after hours online sale now, did anybody spot any deals? cause I couldn't!

Edit: Gaming headsets are 10% off including the PS Gold Headset and Xbone Stereo Headset and others!

Says 10% off preorders but they're not being discounted. Getting a potential $70 game for $54 might be a deal.

Thanks

You want to sell a PS4 for $430 and you cant? Sent you a PM.

SickBoy

I think it's a little of column A and a little of column B. It's accepted that manufacturers are making slim margins (if any) on hardware, so a swing in exchange rates worth $40-45 is no small pill to swallow. And of course with Sony still supply constrained seems like the market will bear a $50 hike.

Dangerous game, though. As someone with a PS4 and no intention of getting an Xbox One, I think the outside view is that the One has a better lineup than the PS4 and that's not going to change for a while (i.e: Infamous doesn't trump Titanfall). So for $50 difference, with a game making up that gulf (and one of the marquee Xbox titles packed in), all of a sudden the Xbox seems really damn competitive.

Amazon.ca has Final Fantasy X|X2 Vita for $40, probably best price now!
At the same time you gotta love EB:

u7E2FGA.jpg

Same game goes for $29.49 at Amazon.ca

Returners

I'm honestly puzzled that they can get away with this. Kind of crazy.

They are the only ones that does trade ins promos anymore.

People have credit with them = have to buy from them.

EB is really good in making sure when you purchase something the money stays in their system/circulation.

Did not see it mentioned, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 is 44.99$ at Target, FS, BB and Amazon. Looks like the definitive new price for Amazon.

Not sure if I bite yet or wait... was cheaper at Target a few weeks back.

Magnus

So, I Love my new place, but the neighbors are fucking touchy. I really miss pumping the volume on games and I really really miss my bass. Looks like it's going to have to be headphones.

Recommendations? Something that will work with all systems. A good balance between price and quality. I really don't want to go over $200.

Are those pulse headsets from Sony PlayStation any good?

Gxgear

So, I Love my new place, but the neighbors are fucking touchy. I really miss pumping the volume on games and I really really miss my bass. Looks like it's going to have to be headphones.

Recommendations? Something that will work with all systems. A good balance between price and quality. I really don't want to go over $200.

Are those pulse headsets from Sony PlayStation any good?

Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide

I'm partial to Audio Technica AD700, super comfortable. But it's open-air and quite large so they're not for everyone. AD700 is discontinued and the sucessor is AD700x

Heard good things about Pulse, but headsets in general are usually regarded to be of lower quality to headphones according to the audiophile community. Most people won't hear the difference.

Top Bottom