• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Sweet Ivy

Asking for a suggestion here, I have some PC stuff to sell (GFX690, Corsair case, AOC Monitor), since I want to avoid shipping (and related expenses) I was thinking about putting this up on Kijiji, but I'm a bit reluctant.

Is it the best solution?
Is Kijiji (its users) reliable enough?

I posted a sale note in my building but I only received a few price inquires.

TX!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Asking for a suggestion here, I have some PC stuff to sell (GFX690, Corsair case, AOC Monitor), since I want to avoid shipping (and related expenses) I was thinking about putting this up on Kijiji, but I'm a bit reluctant.

Is it the best solution?

TX!
Kijiji, but be ready for weird offers.

krae_man

You've got a 65 Chevy Malibu
With automatic drive, custom paint job too
I'll trade you for my old wheelbarrow
and a slightly used sombrero
and I'll even throw in a stapler if you insist
Craigslist Kijiji

Takuan

Is it the best solution?

TX!
I've transacted through Kijiji more times than I can remember with no problems whatsoever. I've sold items as expensive as $600, in-person, straight cash. Just be smart about meeting times and location (I mostly transact at my office building or my condo lobby). The only thing annoying about it are the low-ballers and people who lack reading comprehension.

Speaking of which, anyone in the GTA interested in a mint PSP Go in white for $80? Custom firmware is installed, and I still have the box + cables and all. Nevermind - discovered there's a fan translation of Grand Knights History out there. I bought my Vita for that shit, before they deaded the localization. Might as well try Type-0, too.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So, I just realized that Amazon grouped the games that I ordered from the E3 deal into some odd lots, and would only ship them when the entire order was ready to go. I talked to a CSR and got him to change it for me, but all of the dates are about a week or two after release. Is typical of the delivery estimates? Are they conservative or pretty accurate, ie, should I be expecting the games to arrive a week after they actually get released?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've transacted through Kijiji more times than I can remember with no problems whatsoever. I've sold items as expensive as $600, in-person, straight cash. Just be smart about meeting times and location (I mostly transact at my office building or my condo lobby). The only thing annoying about it are the low-ballers and people who lack reading comprehension.

Speaking of which, anyone in the GTA interested in a mint PSP Go in white for $80? Custom firmware is installed, and I still have the box + cables and all.

Managed to get rid of a PS4 and a Xbone with a bit of profit, and I live in a relatively small city so... maybe krae_man has had some interesting experiences. lol

TheCloser

Banned

Speaking of which, anyone in the GTA interested in a mint PSP Go in white for $80? Custom firmware is installed, and I still have the box + cables and all.

krae_man

How old am I that nobody gets my Weird Al references?

My Kijiji transactions have been fine. Some foreign scammers, some insane lowballers, and eventually normal people.

I remember at university selling a textbook solutions manual. I very clearly stated that it was a solutions manual (and not the actual textbook). Went through an email chain and met up with the buyer, and you can guess what happened next.

Just meet in a well-lit, public place (possibly close to a bank/ATM if you need to withdraw/deposit a lot of cash), bring a friend, don't give out too much personal info, clarify the meeting location/time constantly (especially if you're going out of your way to meet), don't negotiate when you meet up (be prepared to walk away), etc.

iphys

One trick I've learned on kijiji is post your ad and then half an hour later edit it to say "sold pending pickup". Then I usually get a couple sane people offering to buy the item at full price if it's not picked up instead of weirdos offering to trade me their broken phone or light saber, and once I even had someone offer me $40 more to sell to them instead, lol.

So, I just realized that Amazon grouped the games that I ordered from the E3 deal into some odd lots, and would only ship them when the entire order was ready to go. I talked to a CSR and got him to change it for me, but all of the dates are about a week or two after release. Is typical of the delivery estimates? Are they conservative or pretty accurate, ie, should I be expecting the games to arrive a week after they actually get released?

I wouldn't worry too much about how your shipments are grouped at the moment, that stuff generally sorts itself out after a while. As far as I know, Amazon just automatically groups things based on the release dates and the expected "ships within" periods they have for each item, but unless two games are coming out within days of each other I don't think Amazon would hold back a game to fit it into another shipment. I'd have to double-check my order history to see if anything like that has ever happened to me, though.

As for the delivery estimates, it depends on where you live and where the game ships from. I live in downtown Toronto and I routinely get games before their estimate, sometimes well before. The sole exception in recent memory was the last game I got from them, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, which came exactly six days after it shipped (!!!!!!!!), just as the estimate said. Turns out, though, that it was because the game shipped from Vancouver; I guess they didn't have any Mississauga stock. For pre-orders, especially popular ones, I doubt this will be a problem.

Riptwo

I've been told by Amazon support that they won't be sending out Bruce Lee codes at all, despite being listed as one of the partners by EA. EA support just told me to contact Amazon, so this kind of sucks in general.

Lexxism

@ Target (YMMV)
IMG_4020_zps7f257063.jpg

@ Target (YMMV)

Someone posted that on reddit I think 2 days ago and I posted it here. I don't think you can price-match it at FS or BB unless the guy/girl working there is cool. Damn it there aren't any Targets near me... (The nearest one for me in the GTA is Scarborough I think)

EDIT: Holy fucking shit nevermind there's a Target near the Ontario Science Center. Wow that's REALLY CLOSE AND I NEVER KNEW IT EXISTED. Going tomorrow then.

kennah

Is it the best solution?

TX!
Where are you, and got a list?

ovii

not a day but a week late? HOLLYSHIT man. btw you guys have to pay less tax :( so you get no sympathy lol

LOL. I guess it's a small price to pay.

I'd still say that FS and BB have been superb when hitting release dates. I did get my PS4 at launch date, so I can't complain.

Dazzler

I really wish there was a target in Vancouver

As a non-driver living on the west side, I'm not bothered going out to Burnaby or Coquitlam or wherever it is

Megasoum

Banned
Fucking PSN bulshit arghhhhh

So, since I bought my PS3 in 2007, I've never been able to use my credit card on PSN... They simply won't accept my NBC Mastercard. I've tried every possible ways to write my adresse but still won't go through.

I want to pre-order destiny and it's fucking pissing me off.

I can add funds with Paypal but you can't simply get the exact amount via Paypal. So for example I want to buy a game that is 70$ - 7.87$ I have in credit on my account. So that means I need to do 3 transaction to add 50$, 10$ and then 5$... And then I'll have some leftovers.

So annoying.

Edit: Oh FML... I pre-ordered on PS3 by accident... Ok now I'm really pissed.

Sweet Ivy

Yep, I was thinking about my condo lobby or the shopping mall nearby.

Just meet in a well-lit, public place (possibly close to a bank/ATM if you need to withdraw/deposit a lot of cash), bring a friend, don't give out too much personal info, clarify the meeting location/time constantly (especially if you're going out of your way to meet), don't negotiate when you meet up (be prepared to walk away), etc.
Will do, I'll have my bf with me and no problem walking away; I can be flexible, but not too much.

One trick I've learned on kijiji is post your ad and then half an hour later edit it to say "sold pending pickup". Then I usually get a couple sane people offering to buy the item at full price if it's not picked up instead of weirdos offering to trade me their broken phone or light saber, and once I even had someone offer me $40 more to sell to them instead, lol.
Now that's interesting, I'll keep it in mind.

I'll go with the VG first and then see how things go, then maybe list other stuff.

Where are you, and got a list?
Haven't got anything up yet, I'll do it tomorrow morning.
Or a list of my stuff?

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

kennah

I'm doing a cross country road trip. Figured I'd check if you were near anywhere I was going. Always room for more computer parts :p

Try calling the store if they have any stocks left and if it is on sale for 19.99

Well I called... And was left there in silence for about 7 minutes. I think they forgot about me ;_; I'll call again tomorrow morning.

So, since I bought my PS3 in 2007, I've never been able to use my credit card on PSN... They simply won't accept my NBC Mastercard. I've tried every possible ways to write my adresse but still won't go through.

I can add funds with Paypal but you can't simply get the exact amount via Paypal. So for example I want to buy a game that is 70$ - 7.87$ I have in credit on my account. So that means I need to do 3 transaction to add 50$, 10$ and then 5$... And then I'll have some leftovers.

So annoying.

Yeah same. For some reason PSN refuses to accept my RBC Visa (it LITERALLY WORKS EVERYWHERE ELSE including the Nintendo eShop and Steam) but I can make it work through Paypal but it's only through their own pre-set increments. God damn it it's a pain in the ass

GameDealsCanada just posted this: Atelier Escha & Logy is $29.99 on Amazon.ca. As a member of the Atelier fan club it is my sworn duty to convince you all to buy this game or kill you upon non-compliance.

I'm waiting for an inevitable Vita version... But first I need a Vita memory card that isn't fucking 4GB. How did I even survive 2 years like this I don't know. It's the main reason why I didn't buy Totori Plus yet

I flag those posts since I hate searching for something rare and then seeing a SOLD listing. :p

I really wish there was a target in Vancouver

As a non-driver living on the west side, I'm not bothered going out to Burnaby or Coquitlam or wherever it is

The Metrotown one is pretty transit-accessible. Otherwise there's Richmond (also near transit). But yeah, I wish they opened one at Oakridge (where the Zellers was).

iphys

What does it mean to flag posts on kijiji? I always leave the post up until the item has been picked up, in case the buyer still needs to look at it for some reason.

snorggy

So annoying.

I had the same problem until I did an EXACT copy of my address that appears on my credit card statements, including having it in all-caps.

I know you said you tried all variations, but thought I'd share my experience.

Megasoum

Banned
I had the same problem until I did an EXACT copy of my address that appears on my credit card statements, including having it in all-caps.

I know you said you tried all variations, but thought I'd share my experience.

Yeah I tried that too (fun fact it's not easy to find an actual statement in our modern internet age lol). I have a super simple adress too so there's not much possible errors (no appartement, one word street name, etc). I just give up. Paypal works well enough except for the fact that you are forced to add money in increment.

Anyway the problement right now is that I pre-ordered for the PS3 by accident. Hopefully Sony will credit back the purchase so that I can make the proper pre-order.

Ondore

Remember when Best Buy wouldn't list games (KH3 and Codename STEAM) at E3 for the promo?

I emailed Best Buy and this is what I got:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your pre-order. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I am very happy to inform you that a credit in the amount of $25.50 plus applicable taxes (30% off from the actual price of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix (PlayStation 3) and Codename Steam (Nintendo 3DS) has been applied to your pre-order BESTBUYCANADA
redacted
on June 18th.

Your discount will appear as a credit on your original payment method within 3 – 5 business days.

I'm waiting for a response on if they're adjusting the 3rd game in the order (Kirby Rainbow Curse).

Lizardus

Remember when Best Buy wouldn't list games (KH3 and Codename STEAM) at E3 for the promo?

I emailed Best Buy and this is what I got:

I'm waiting for a response on if they're adjusting the 3rd game in the order (Kirby Rainbow Curse).

What? Pretty sure I preordered Both STEAM and Kirby during E3. Should I email them about MH4U?

Sealtest

I really should've waited on that headset I guess, bought it day 1 and haven't used it much, And they have yet 2 release any faceplates outside of the Amazon excuslive Infamous ones.

Top Bottom