• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

To those of you who were able to pre-order The Order: 1886 Premium Edition for $15 from Amazon.ca: I just contacted Customer Service and they confirmed that the price will not be increased on the pre-order; they will honor the price that you were originally invoiced at (even though the currently listed price is a whopping $150). I was worried they might change it, so I can relax now :)

To those of you who were able to pre-order The Order: 1886 Premium Edition for $15 from Amazon.ca: I just contacted Customer Service and they confirmed that the price will not be increased on the pre-order; they will honor the price that you were originally invoiced at (even though the currently listed price is a whopping $150). I was worried they might change it, so I can relax now :)

Lucky and jealous.

Also, if we buy STEAM cards in Canada, do we get those in USD$? Everytime I buy something on Steam I get charged in USD$, wondering if there is a way to change that.

Cheerilee

Drawing attention to price errors only increases the chance that they'll fix them.

Sealtest

I don't really believe this, Not that i'm calling you or that person a liar but those techs don't know everything. Even if this item does ship they could just send out the normal copy.

I don't really believe this, Not that i'm calling you or that person a liar but those techs don't know everything. Even if this item does ship they could just send out the normal copy.

No they can't. You clearly have a receipt that says the item number and they are supposed to deliver the copy.

Amazon customer service isn't bad to deal with either. So I don't have any doubts that those who ordered it will have their copy shipped.

Lexxism

Also, if we buy STEAM cards in Canada, do we get those in USD$? Everytime I buy something on Steam I get charged in USD$, wondering if there is a way to change that.

I think EB Games are the only stores selling steam cards and of course there's a mark up because of weaker $.

So, I just realized that Amazon grouped the games that I ordered from the E3 deal into some odd lots, and would only ship them when the entire order was ready to go. I talked to a CSR and got him to change it for me, but all of the dates are about a week or two after release. Is typical of the delivery estimates? Are they conservative or pretty accurate, ie, should I be expecting the games to arrive a week after they actually get released?

For what it's worth the first of my E3 pre-ordered games was UFC.I selected super saver free shipping. Amazon's estimate was that I'd receive it June 25th-30th or something like that. It arrived on the 17th at 9:30AM. I couldn't even have picked it up from BB/FS that fast... Time will tell if that is typical but hey, its a good start.

Luigi87

I think EB Games are the only stores selling steam cards and of course there's a mark up because of weaker $.

This pretty much.
In fact the mark-up is right on the Steam cards themselves (it isn't even EB doing it).
$20 USD cards are marked at about $22.50 CAD or so.

frequency

I ordered an in stock game (FFX/X-2 HD) at Amazon earlier in the week. They've just been sitting on it since. Before they had Prime it would ship same day or next day at the latest, coming in 2 days. Now they purposely sit on it to artificially increase shipping times to sell you on Prime.

They have estimated delivery as next Thursday, a full week and a half from order date. They likely won't ship it out until next Tuesday. Just because.

Service prior to Prime was good. They couldn't improve on it. So how do you make Prime attractive? Offer the exact same service you had before under Prime and artificially make everything else way worse.

Amazon frustrates me.

Lexxism

For what it's worth the first of my E3 pre-ordered games was UFC.I selected super saver free shipping. Amazon's estimate was that I'd receive it June 25th-30th or something like that. It arrived on the 17th at 9:30AM. I couldn't even have picked it up from BB/FS that fast... Time will tell if that is typical but hey, its a good start.

How did they do for the pricing? Amazon price + whatever discount (18% or 30%)?

Lucky and jealous.

I always miss these deals, I am a student, I could use a break like this!

i-Jest

I heard people had Persona 5 removed from their Best Buy E3 orders? Mine is still there, wonder what the deal is.

Wait. What? Let me check.

EDIT:

Mines still there as well. $34.99. By far, one of my best preorders.

EDIT 2:

If it makes you feel any better, you can price match it at Future Shop or Best Buy for additional savings.

Well the sale ends July 9th, so that's about 3 weeks for you to think about it. I might get it around then as well. I was just gonna PM it at FS or BB anyway

All very true. I'll think about it. I plan on limiting my spending so I have whats needed for my E3 purchases.

Returners

But but.... RFD said to not call CS on pricing errors!

I kid. Glad to hear it.

Megasoum

Banned
God dammit... Sony denied my refund of Destiny.... So now I'm stuck with a useless version on PS3 and I have to pay another 70$ to get it on the PS4.... Fuck you Sony.

Drawing attention to price errors only increases the chance that they'll fix them.

I disagree. Getting someone to promise in writing that they will honor it greatly increases the chances that you'll receive it. I have experience with that being the case. Companies have a difficult time combating what they explicitly said they'll do. At the very least, they provide decent compensation. But I highly doubt Amazon won't honor it.

Unlikely. I've spoken with a supervisor at Amazon about an issue before and she honored it ONLY because the Customer Service Rep. told me they would. She said they wouldn't have honored it otherwise.

On a related note, I contacted Futureshop about the Far Cry 4 Kyrat edition (it was listed as $49.99 for some time, and now it's $150). They guaranteed in writing as well that the price will be honored.

RE_Player

God dammit... Sony denied my refund of Destiny.... So now I'm stuck with a useless version on PS3 and I have to pay another 70$ to get it on the PS4.... Fuck you Sony.
Why did you pre-order the PS3 version? Was it a mishap on their end or yours? Either way I would keep bugging them since it's not like you want a refund you just want the PS4 version instead of the PS3.

Lothars

I would call them back, there's no reason why they shouldn't do it. Yes you messed up but all you want is the ps4 version.

Megasoum

Banned
Why did you pre-order the PS3 version? Was it a mishap on their end or yours? Either way I would keep bugging them since it's not like you want a refund you just want the PS4 version instead of the PS3.

Yeah my fault. I put the PS4 version in my basket then when I went to check out I tried adding funds with my CC but Sony won't accept my CC for some reason so I had to back out and go add funds via paypal. Once I did that 3 times (since they only use increments) I went back to the store and added Destiny from a page that was virtually indentical to the one I was 20min earlier... Once the sale went through I noticed the super small PS3 logo next to the title.

But yeah, like you said... I don't want to cash out, I want to trade the PS3 version for the PS4.

RE_Player

Yeah my fault. I put the PS4 version in my basket then when I went to check out I tried adding funds with my CC but Sony won't accept my CC for some reason so I had to back out and go add funds via paypal. Once I did that 3 times (since they only use increments) I went back to the store and added Destiny from a page that was virtually indentical to the one I was 20min earlier... Once the sale went through I noticed the super small PS3 logo next to the title.

But yeah, like you said... I don't want to cash out, I want to trade the PS3 version for the PS4.
I would bug them with pictures. Give them a screenshot of your receipt, a screenshot of the web store showing how easily confused one could be. Also make sure you make it clear, in a polite tone, that you don't want a refund you would just like to transfer or remove the PS3 license to a PS4 license of Destiny.

Megasoum

Banned
I would bug them with pictures. Give them a screenshot of your receipt, a screenshot of the web store showing how easily confused one could be. Also make sure you make it clear, in a polite tone, that you don't want a refund you would just like to transfer or remove the PS3 license to a PS4 license of Destiny.

Yeah I'm calling right now.

DJ_Lae

Damn, consider me surprised given some of Amazon's price mistakes in the past.

Especially that Bosch drill/impact kit that was only $50 off what it should have been. A $135 price difference seemed like an easy wave of cancellations on their part.

Megasoum

Banned
So on hold again... The guy checked with "next level" and noticed that the ticket that was opened yesterday was lacking information so he wants to resubmit it with proper info... So much stress for a dumb mistake ugh.

Sealtest

I

Unlikely. I've spoken with a supervisor at Amazon about an issue before and she honored it ONLY because the Customer Service Rep. told me they would. She said they wouldn't have honored it otherwise.

On a related note, I contacted Futureshop about the Far Cry 4 Kyrat edition (it was listed as $49.99 for some time, and now it's $150). They guaranteed in writing as well that the price will be honored.

Well 2 play it safe I got written proof that my order 1886 will only be $15 and it won't be cancelled. Guess it's better 2 have this kind of proof, I know it helped at PS4 launch to only pay $339 for the console cause of an amazon.ca website typo.

Cheerilee

I disagree. Getting someone to promise in writing that they will honor it greatly increases the chances that you'll receive it. I have experience with that being the case. Companies have a difficult time combating what they explicitly said they'll do. At the very least, they provide decent compensation. But I highly doubt Amazon won't honor it.

Asking for that kind of promise tends to result in "No" by default, and then they start to wonder why you asked.

If nobody notices a price error, odds are the company will just ship the item out without thinking. If customers overreact and start asking "Are you really selling this item for that low of a price?" you're most likely just going to ruin it for yourself and everyone else in line.

I've spoken with a supervisor at Amazon about an issue before and she honored it ONLY because the Customer Service Rep. told me they would. She said they wouldn't have honored it otherwise.
So by "Hey guys, don't worry, Amazon is going to honor the price error" you meant "Hey guys, I've locked mine in, and lowered the chances of yours being honored, unless you all call customer service en-masse right now"?

That's why RFD says the best thing for everyone to do during a price error is sit tight and see what happens (oh and, take out a second mortgage on your house in order to take advantage of the error an obscene number of times, and then bitch about how Lenovo isn't going to buy you a new house).

Banned
I ordered an in stock game (FFX/X-2 HD) at Amazon earlier in the week. They've just been sitting on it since. Before they had Prime it would ship same day or next day at the latest, coming in 2 days. Now they purposely sit on it to artificially increase shipping times to sell you on Prime.

They have estimated delivery as next Thursday, a full week and a half from order date. They likely won't ship it out until next Tuesday. Just because.

Service prior to Prime was good. They couldn't improve on it. So how do you make Prime attractive? Offer the exact same service you had before under Prime and artificially make everything else way worse.

Amazon frustrates me.
I'm not the only one who noticed this then? I ordered all my puppy leashes and collars and harnesses that were all in stock and it took 2 weeks when before it took 24-48 hours. I'm not paying for prime, fuck that noise.

I wonder how that game is, how much did it end up costing you?

It's all based in world war era, I play Sniper Elite 2 on steam in co-op with a friend and that's basically why I like it, kinda slow paced game while chatting with a friend :)

Edit:
I got my Playstation Now Beta code two hours ago, looks like it's finally here in Canada :D

Asking for that kind of promise tends to result in "No" by default, and then they start to wonder why you asked.

If nobody notices a price error, odds are the company will just ship the item out without thinking. If customers overreact and start asking "Are you really selling this item for that low of a price?" you're most likely just going to ruin it for yourself and everyone else in line.

So by "Hey guys, don't worry, Amazon is going to honor the price error" you meant "Hey guys, I've locked mine in, and lowered the chances of yours being honored, unless you all call customer service en-masse right now"?

That's why RFD says the best thing for everyone to do during a price error is sit tight and see what happens (oh and, take out a second mortgage on your house in order to take advantage of the error an obscene number of times, and then bitch about how Lenovo isn't going to buy you a new house).

Yeah. I just don't agree at all, which is fine. Asking for a guarantee does not result in a 'no' "by default". I've never been told 'no'. Three times I've encountered errors, and every time I've been provided a guarantee when asked.

And they don't start to wonder why you asked if you ask properly. For example, "I noticed that the price increased on this item since I pre-ordered it. I just want to confirm that I will be paying $15 for my pre-order". Then they will explicitly state you will pay that much when the item ships. Then if Amazon ever does anything that goes against that statement, you show it to a supervisor.

No need to be a jerk about it with your sarcasm. Frankly, I don't really care if you think it lowers your chances. If you're worried, go ahead and do the same thing I did. I did let you guys know, after all. I'm confident it improves my chances, and I don't think it lowers yours.

Finally, sorry RFD...I don't like the idea of just sitting tight. I'd rather be a little more confident and not have to wonder as much between now and next February.

PS Now pricing is BS in my opinion!
Edit: my bad!

PSUhjwc.jpg

Banned
Oh and we get the beta without any free games to try the service? What the heck does that mean?

PSUhjwc.jpg

$8 for two weeks is bs. That's an average time frame for me to beat a game if it's the only one I focus on. That's $16 a month to play two games most likely. I'd rather pay $16 a month to have access to all PSNow games like Netflix.

Oh and we get the beta without any free games to try the service? What the heck does that mean?

PSUhjwc.jpg

Wow... when I asked about this in another thread, people said it was going to be free. $2.99 for 4 hours is ridiculous. You are able to buy FFXIII brand new for $15, if not even cheaper.

$8 for two weeks is bs. That's an average time frame for me to beat a game if it's the only one I focus on. That's $16 a month to play two games most likely. I'd rather pay $16 a month to have access to all PSNow games like Netflix.

I know, that's what I'd hope for! Unlimited access for a nominated period of time!

Also I'd like to correct there are some free games to try, don't care about any of them though!
Alien Spidy
Big Sky Infinity
Jimmie Johnson's Anything With an Engine
Space Ace
Order Up

Only game I ever heard of is Big sky Infinity lol

Top Bottom