• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Liberty4all

Banned
Playstation Gold PS4 headset seems to be on sale for $69.99 at the Source. Keep in mind, this also works with the Xbox One if you have that adapter.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=PS4_Accessories&product=8018813

Io4ElcC.jpg

Is it worth it to upgrade from the PS3 Stereo Wireless Headset?

I use these everyday. They are compatible with the PS4 but do not get the individual game audio profiles some games get with the Pulse Elite and newer PS4 headset.

I'm actually thinking of getting 2 of the PS4 headsets as I heard you can use 2 at the same time. My wife and I would love that when watching movies (headset is waaay better than my old 5.1 speakers).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never noticed a difference with the different profiles, so I'm not sure if they're all that useful.

I don't know if you can use two at the same time, but it would be kind of annoying since they both need receivers and would basically take up both USB slots on a newer PS3/PS4.

Seik

Banned
Damn! Microplay in Qc has a big sale. Missed Wonderful 101 at 19.99$ new! :(

Now the 34.99 price at the source seems high and I don't feel like ordering it anymore. I hate that feeling!

Got new Shin Megami Tensei IV box set for $29,99 and new Game & Wario for $9,99.

I'm happy.

R44FA9e.jpg

Oh and I got a used Batman Arkham Origin Wii U for $15, then I read that it's the worst port. Welp, I'll try to do it anyway.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've never noticed a difference with the different profiles, so I'm not sure if they're all that useful.

I don't know if you can use two at the same time, but it would be kind of annoying since they both need receivers and would basically take up both USB slots on a newer PS3/PS4.

In my case no big deal ... I have my ps3 USB slots for backup. I LOVE my original stereo headphones, just wondering if there is a noticeable quality jump with these new ones. At 120 for a pair I may bite.

Hmmm, maybe I should get the PS4 headset........communication seems pretty important for Evolve.......and if I play NHL 15 EASHL.........and eventually Rainbow 6

Bought the PS4 headset from Shop.ca using the paypal promo, shop.ca credit I had left over, facebook coupon, and 15% cashback from ebates lol

ohlawd

Got new Shin Megami Tensei IV box set for $29,99 and new Game & Wario for $9,99.

I'm happy.

Oh and I got a used Batman Arkham Origin Wii U for $15, then I read that it's the worst port. Welp, I'll try to do it anyway.
it's the worst port but it's playable. Just don't be surprised at the 20 fps dips when traversing the city :/

big_z

Edit: I know that like 2 weeks ago MK8 was 59.99$ or 54.99$ at some Target? Is it still going on at some of them?

the game sale has continued into this week however some targets are refusing to sell at those prices or are selecting what games to put on sale instead of following the corporate list. target Canada is a cluster fuck when it comes to sales so you would have to walk in and check your local store.

some people got mk8 for 39.99 the past two weeks. you could browse rfd to find a receipt and take this weeks flyer to price match it but I think ymmv.

lakers

Neo Member
Any good deals on a Wii U besides the 200 refurb from nintendo?
Anyone know how much an open box unit would be at bestbuy/futureshop?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy crap, I just noticed that Phone + 6GB Data plans from all the major carriers are 125 bucks now. With my contract expiring this Fall, I figure I'm going to be screwed.

Rbk_3

Holy crap, I just noticed that Phone + 6GB Data plans from all the major carriers are 125 bucks now. With my contract expiring this Fall, I figure I'm going to be screwed.

I don't know who you're with, but I was able to keep mine through retentions with Telus.
If worst comes to worst, just buy a phone outright and stick with the current plan.

IndustryX

Canadian phone contracts have to be some of the worst in the developed world that's outrageous!!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know who you're with, but I was able to keep mine through retentions with Telus.
If worst comes to worst, just buy a phone outright and stick with the current plan.
Hrm, hopefully that's the case. I don't really see a reason to upgrade my phone either, so I'm like the worst customer for them I suppose. lol

Canadian phone contracts have to be some of the worst in the developed world that's outrageous!!!!
Yikes. Plans have gotten way worse since I checked last :(
Yeah, I'm hoping they do some kind of back to school pricing like they do every year, but I imagine the days of the 60-70 dollar plan are long gone.

I happened to get that Virgin's Canada Wide Unlimited Talk with no roaming and 6GB of data for $45. With a plan like that, there is no way I'd be losing by signing contracts and I'd rather switch my phones every year as I buy them outright when they usually go on sale or for retail.

Get a good plan from retentions and go on with phones with no contracts. With phones like Nexus and One Plus releasing for cheaper, there should be no reason you shouldn't go this way rather than signing contracts and paying ridiculous amounts of money for monthly plans.

since TLOU is down 10 bucks for the states digital and retail do you think the bestbuy e3 deals will reflect that?

They should bring the price down to $55.

big_z

Hrm, hopefully that's the case. I don't really see a reason to upgrade my phone either, so I'm like the worst customer for them I suppose. lol

Yeah, I'm hoping they do some kind of back to school pricing like they do every year, but I imagine the days of the 60-70 dollar plan are long gone.

they didn't do back to school pricing last year. I doubt they will this year especially considering prices have nearly doubled in 12 months.

right now its best to buy your phone off contract and get the $55 koodo plan. takes a little work to get it but its not very difficult. everything else offered is pure bullshit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow. How do you get a 45 or 55 dollar plan? I just assumed that all the good plans were on Wind, and I can't use them.

Is this the weird fake Sasketchwan address thing? I don't know if I have the balls to do that. lol

Wow. How do you get a 45 or 55 dollar plan? I just assumed that all the good plans were on Wind, and I can't use them.

Is this the weird fake Sasketchwan address thing? I don't know if I have the balls to do that. lol

It's the Thunderbay plan. I had a friend from college who lives there and I used his as mailing address. Switched it right after I got a plan. I live in Montreal and didn't have to go there. I think it's worth it, took me like 10 minutes with customer service.

I have a $60 plan with Rogers for unlimited talk and text, and 3gb data. It's alright, but I'd like another gig or two of data. I hit the cap almost every month

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, non gaming related question.

Canada day falls on a Tuesday. So how does that work this weekend for my job. Is Monday off, or am I really gonna have to go in Monday and get Tuesday off?

Vinc

No, it won't reflect. However, Amazon will due to their pre-order price guarantee.

Wait, are you serious? Amazon gave a discount with the E3 deal that pushes it below 59.99, does that mean we'll still get 10 extra dollars off on top of the initial discount from the deal due to this guarantee? If so, that's freaking awesome!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Canada day falls on a Tuesday. So how does that work this weekend for my job. Is Monday off, or am I really gonna have to go in Monday and get Tuesday off?
Depends on the agreement with your company.

Likely work Monday and Tuesday off.

negitoro7

Most places will have you go in Monday and get Tuesday off, but some companies (like mine), are giving us Monday off to extend the weekend and Tuesday is a regular day unless you want to use a day-off for it to extend the weekend further.

Anyone know where I can find Xenoblade Chronicles for a non-shitty (over $100) price? EBGames has it listed as $50, but there's no stock left in my area (the GTA)

Banned
Anyone know where I can find Xenoblade Chronicles for a non-shitty (over $100) price? EBGames has it listed as $50, but there's no stock left in my area (the GTA)
I do. Purchase a time machine and head back to April 2012 and preorder it from eb games. :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I assume you mean you don't want to pay for the VGP stock then..?

If you know someone in the States, they might find a cheaper version and send it to you.

I bit the bullet and got the VGP version...

I'd like to know as well. They REALLY should consider re-releasing this with new Wii U game like what's happening with Bayonetta. It's kind of ridiculous the way they limited the availability of this game.

Lexxism

Wait, are you serious? Amazon gave a discount with the E3 deal that pushes it below 59.99, does that mean we'll still get 10 extra dollars off on top of the initial discount from the deal due to this guarantee? If so, that's freaking awesome!

Yes. Because if you look at your order/s, you will see that the discount is not applied directly to the price unlike with FS/BB. So, if the price falls down to what you ordered then you will get that price plus the applicable discounts you have.

To be honest, I doubt we will get the 49.99 price for it since they will likely bump it to 54.99. That's okay to me since I will get the game for like $36.

I'd like to know as well. They REALLY should consider re-releasing this with new Wii U game like what's happening with Bayonetta. It's kind of ridiculous the way they limited the availability of this game.

VGP. I think they have it for $70?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's the Thunderbay plan. I had a friend from college who lives there and I used his as mailing address. Switched it right after I got a plan. I live in Montreal and didn't have to go there. I think it's worth it, took me like 10 minutes with customer service.
I'd ask for a hookup, but I have no idea how it really works. Trying to walk in to a kiosk and ask for a Manitoba/Thunderbay plan seems like a recipe for disaster to me anyway...

That said, I understand why Manitoba and Saskatchewan have awesome deals (I wish every province had publicly owned phone companies), but why does Thunderbay also get the same deals?

I almost wonder if it isn't worth renting a PO Box in Sasketchewan and then getting a phone deal that way, since it's literally half or even a third of the price of a phone plan in Ontario.

I really thought that at E3 they would announce a way to get some Wii games digitally on the Wii U. Like being able to play both Mario Galaxy's and Xenoblade off the Wii U.

Any of you can tell me if I am going to cry playing Mario Kart 8 on the Gamepad? I was not planning on buying a Pro Controller just yet but I will if the difference is huge!

Vinc

Yes. Because if you look at your order/s, you will see that the discount is not applied directly to the price unlike with FS/BB. So, if the price falls down to what you ordered then you will get that price plus the applicable discounts you have.

To be honest, I doubt we will get the 49.99 price for it since they will likely bump it to 54.99. That's okay to me since I will get the game for like $36.

Hmm... most of my orders either had the regular price adjusted down or were already 15% off and the discount added another 15% off. We'll see what happens I guess!

If more people went with Wind the big 3 might actually feel like they have to compete......but most people will still pay whatever they are told

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If more people went with Wind the big 3 might actually feel like they have to compete......but most people will still pay whatever they are told
I would if I lived in Toronto. I just don't want to be a guinea pig for their service outside of the GTA.

The fact that the spectrum auction turned out be a big joke kind of killed the idea of competition whatsoever.

Wind is not as good as the big 3 thieves in terms of coverage that's why they will always stay the underdog! Once you get to the edges of the city you will be probably be hit with roaming charges on other networks plus their data is not as fast!
Personally I have a $60 6gb plan with Koodo and I'm holding to it with dear life and buying unlocked phones whenever I want to upgrade!

Jinto

I wanna return an online order to Best Buy in-store. Do I need to bring the credit card I ordered with? I forgot it at my friend's place, and he went to the lake.

Sweet Ivy

Shit, figured as much. Good thing I realized I didn't have it before I drove there.
They may be able to give you a gift card as well, I returned something that I payed with a card that was no longer active and they just made me a gift card.
Well, it was FutureShop, but I guess they work the same for these things.

Jinto

They may be able to give you a gift card as well, I returned something that I payed with a card that was no longer active and they just made me a gift card.
Well, it was FutureShop, but I guess they work the same for these things.

Just got off the phone with them and I definitely need my CC. Ah well, not sure I really wanted a gift card anyways. Thanks tho.

I've got a $50 (before tax) corporate plan with Telus from 2011. I get 6 GB of data, plus every phone feature imaginable. It's only kind of annoying when I want to call home (Windsor) from where I live now (Guelph) as I believe it's long distance, even if it's in the same area code.

That contract expires in two weeks, and I'm seriously considering switching over to Wind.

Gritesh

I've got a $50 (before tax) corporate plan with Telus from 2011. I get 6 GB of data, plus every phone feature imaginable. It's only kind of annoying when I want to call home (Windsor) from where I live now (Guelph) as I believe it's long distance, even if it's in the same area code.

That contract expires in two weeks, and I'm seriously considering switching over to Wind.
Can't you keep the current plan on month to month?

I have a 60 dollar 6gb plan with bell and it's over in a couple months I was just going to buy a phone outright and keep the current plan on month to month..

Can't you keep the current plan on month to month?

I have a 60 dollar 6gb plan with bell and it's over in a couple months I was just going to buy a phone outright and keep the current plan on month to month..

Oh sure I can. I just don't know if I really want to. The phone I originally signed the contract for hasn't been my current phone in 18 months, either. I just figure I might save some money by switching.

Top Bottom