• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Oh sure I can. I just don't know if I really want to. The phone I originally signed the contract for hasn't been my current phone in 18 months, either. I just figure I might save some money by switching.

I don't know about that, the plans went up quite a bit and as for Wind, phones are limited.

So make sure you look into it before you cancel it. Those plans are hard to find now.

Jinto

Not gaming related, but I think I got a free jersey from the Fifa store. They pre-authorized my card at the time of purchase a little over a week ago. That was lifted a couple of days later. They were supposed to charge when it ships. My jersey arrived a couple of days ago, but my credit card hasn't been charged yet.

Holy crap, I just noticed that Phone + 6GB Data plans from all the major carriers are 125 bucks now. With my contract expiring this Fall, I figure I'm going to be screwed.

Does your employer have any cell phone plans you can look into? For example, the BC Public Sector Employee plan is something like $70.00/month for 5GB data and lots of minutes if your employer is part of it (but even that just went up, it used to be $50/month, thankfully I'm locked in for another few years).

Never heard of the site. Have you ordered from them before?

They're very reliable, and I live about a five minute drive from one of their local retailers. They sell everything on the cheap and thrive off of selling Costco returns (they have a local contract and buy a lot of their stock from the US).

I've never had an issue and their returns policy is top notch. I bought my recertified Wii U Zombie U Deluxe there last Fall and have never looked back.

Edit: free shipping on orders over $50, so check out their video game selection to see if anything else interests you: http://www.bigboxoutletstore.ca/c-721-video-games.aspx

Sajjaja

They're very reliable, and I live about a five minute drive from one of their local retailers. They sell everything on the cheap and thrive off of selling Costco returns (they have a local contract and buy a lot of their stock from the US).

I've never had an issue and their returns policy is top notch. I bought my recertified Wii U Zombie U Deluxe there last Fall and have never looked back.

Edit: free shipping on orders over $50, so check out their video game selection to see if anything else interests you: http://www.bigboxoutletstore.ca/c-721-video-games.aspx

They got Starcraft WOL for 15.99 and HOS for 19.99. Pretty good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does your employer have any cell phone plans you can look into? For example, the BC Public Sector Employee plan is something like $70.00/month for 5GB data and lots of minutes if your employer is part of it (but even that just went up, it used to be $50/month, thankfully I'm locked in for another few years).
I'm basically a contract employee for a University, so I get no benefits. Academia is the worst way to go. lol

They got Starcraft WOL for 15.99 and HOS for 19.99. Pretty good.

word of caution - watch out for anything with a CD key on this website. sometimes the stock has been tampered with by the time it makes it to MTF. I had this issue with Diablo III a couple years back. Went through 3 copies... again, returns was awesome, but it was super annoying.

I'm basically a contract employee for a University, so I get no benefits. Academia is the worst way to go. lol

If you can get a City job of some kind (recreation or the like), work one 4 hour shift per week (or every three months for that matter), you're still qualified for the plan. Not sure if you have time for that, I'm just lucky that I never gave up my part time job when I finished my schooling (I used to teach summer camps, so I stayed on the "on call" list)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you can get a City job of some kind (recreation or the like), work one 4 hour shift per week (or every three months for that matter), you're still qualified for the plan. Not sure if you have time for that, I'm just lucky that I never gave up my part time job when I finished my schooling (I used to teach summer camps, so I stayed on the "on call" list)
Hah, that's lucky!

What phone does wind not have? hey have all the major ones, no?
At this point, I think they even support unlocked iPhones.

Any word on retailers dropping Last of Us PS4 to 54.99 like SEN?

Did they drop it to 54.99$ on the Canadian PS Store?

I read that they dropped the price by 10$ in the US, which would bring the one here to 59.99$. This is what Amazon was selling it for during E3. Are we really gonna be able to get anything out of this from Amazon or Best Buy if they drop the price like they should? I just have a feeling that we won't really benefit if we already pre-ordered.

Joeku

Did they drop it to 54.99$ on the Canadian PS Store?

I read that they dropped the price by 10$ in the US, which would bring the one here to 59.99$. This is what Amazon was selling it for during E3. Are we really gonna be able to get anything out of this from Amazon or Best Buy if they drop the price like they should? I just have a feeling that we won't really benefit if we already pre-ordered.

Well, it's a $15 drop up here which roughly lines it up with all the preorder deals anyway so why not just go digital on the damn thing, then? No disc, no fuss!

Well, it's a $15 drop up here which roughly lines it up with all the preorder deals anyway so why not just go digital on the damn thing, then? No disc, no fuss!

Haha, that's an entirely other subject with two camps that have trouble understanding each other. I need my physical copies, I hate digital. I only go digital if there is no other options.

Vibranium

Banned
That's shitty. Gamestop.com already updated Last of Us Remastered to 49.99 and ebgames.ca hasn't budged.

Lol. I'm pretty sure I heard that Canadian games retailers have decreased sales due to the price hikes, they had better get on that soon. Especially after the E3 pre-order sales brought out more of us than usual.

Cheerilee

What phone does wind not have? hey have all the major ones, no?

At this point, I think they even support unlocked iPhones.

The thing is, Wind's network runs on AWS (same as T-Mobile in the USA), and not all phones support AWS.

Like, when the iPhone 5 came out, people complained to Wind, saying "why doesn't my iPhone work with Wind" and it was because Apple built the iPhone 5 without any AWS support (presumably because Verizon or someone paid Apple not to support it, in order to screw with T-Mobile). Apple eventually made a later revision of the iPhone 5 that did have AWS support, but they didn't change the name at all. It's still called an iPhone 5.

If you go into an Apple store to buy an unlocked iPhone, you need to specify that you want the version that works with Wind, otherwise it might or might not work. It's a crapshoot.

If you buy the phone from Wind, it's sure to work with Wind, because they only pick up the versions that work with their network. Also, T-Mobile. If you import a phone from T-Mobile, it will work with Wind.

Yea....and almost all the major phones have models that work with Wind now so the lack of handsets complaint has been dealt with

My phone works on all Canadian carriers, and so does the next phone I plan to buy (One Plus One)

Cheerilee

Yea....and almost all the major phones have models that work with Wind now so the lack of handsets complaint has been dealt with
Yeah, the "Wind has no phones" complaint isn't really valid anymore, but if someone is considering switching to Wind and bringing their phone with them, there still might be reason for concern. And it's easy enough to check, you just bring your phone to a Wind store, show them your phone, and ask them if it'll work.

I assume the 5s has and the 6 will have AWS support at this point though?
That depends. Do American telecoms really hate T-Mobile right now?

iLLmAtlc

Might as well throw in my plug for 7 eleven speakout pay as you go. Min $25 credit but it lasts upto a year! great if you don't really talk but stick to iMessage/WhatsApp/texts.

also great if you could live without data :|

ps its on the rogers network so coverage is good

Sajjaja

Might as well throw in my plug for 7 eleven speakout pay as you go. Min $25 credit but it lasts upto a year! great if you don't really talk but stick to iMessage/WhatsApp/texts.

also great if you could live without data :|

ps its on the rogers network so coverage is good

I use around 6-8gb of data a month :3

Fly with Wind <3

If you go into an Apple store to buy an unlocked iPhone, you need to specify that you want the version that works with Wind, otherwise it might or might not work. It's a crapshoot.

The box will normally show what bands are supported. Off the top of my head Wind is 1700ish and 2100ish.

Managed to grab Ryse, and Call of Duty ghosts for ps4 from the target deal. 20$ for Ryse and 30$ for Ghosts, might go back tomorrow for Dead rising for 30$ as I'm picking up a Sexbox One tomorrow also.

Langley B.C target by the way....they seemed to have lots of stock too.

anyone have a $20 Canada PSN code they wanna trade for a $20 US PSN Code?

Aren't those codes valid in Canada? There is a user from GAF who said they worked, I've never tried it personally. I did however bought my PS+ codes from the US and they work fine.

If you buy the phone from Wind, it's sure to work with Wind, because they only pick up the versions that work with their network. Also, T-Mobile. If you import a phone from T-Mobile, it will work with Wind.

The box will normally show what bands are supported. Off the top of my head Wind is 1700ish and 2100ish.

Yeah if not that, I'm sure a sales rep in the Apple store would help you out with that.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Managed to grab Ryse, and Call of Duty ghosts for ps4 from the target deal. 20$ for Ryse and 30$ for Ghosts, might go back tomorrow for Dead rising for 30$ as I'm picking up a Sexbox One tomorrow also.

Langley B.C target by the way....they seemed to have lots of stock too.

Ryse for 20$? Can I get this in Toronto Target as well? I would go like RIGHT NOW.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yes. It's been like that for a couple of weeks now.

HOLLYSHIT. I just contacted a person from kijiji, was going to pick it up tomorrow for 35$ lol He initially listed for 45$. Getting this for 20$ now. Thanks you all :)

frequency

I'm not the only one who noticed this then? I ordered all my puppy leashes and collars and harnesses that were all in stock and it took 2 weeks when before it took 24-48 hours. I'm not paying for prime, fuck that noise.

Yes.
They finally shipped my order. It took them a week. They also for some reason chose to ship from Richmond via Canada Post. Which is like 5-6 business days to get here.

Previously, they would ship from Ontario with UPS. Which takes 2 days.

So what used to take 2-3 days to get here depending on if they ship same day or next day now takes 2 weeks or more.

I'll still buy from Amazon if the price is low enough but right now they offer the worst service of all the retailers just to push prime.

2+ weeks to get an in stock item from Amazon. I just have to laugh at that.

ElNino

Welp one of my Amazon pre-orders is out tomorrow, lets see how they handle it. Right now it says I should get it next week lol.
My first Amazon pre-order game was last week (EA UFC) and it shipped two days late (Thursday instead of Tuesday). Shipping only took one day at least, so I got it Friday.

well, Last of Us PS4 looks to be the first E3 sale game i get pooched on (and considering it's the first to ship that's a bad omen). even if Best Buy drops the price, history says they won't adjust the discount accordingly. WIsh I went with Amazon on that one.

Top Bottom