• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

krae_man

In many cases it seems higher. The concept is no nasty sticker shock when you get an international package in the mail which is nice, but not at those crazy prices. It's like the company they are using to handle customs charges more then Canada post. Why would we want that?

kevin1025

Banned
The Target deal of 50% or more is pretty wild. They were adding more games (at my location, at least) to the deal when I arrived earlier today, which was cool. I managed to get Dead Rising 3 for $21, Ryse for $19 and Forza 5 for $29. Definitely take advantage if you haven't yet!

ultra7k

In many cases it seems higher. The concept is no nasty sticker shock when you get an international package in the mail which is nice, but not at those crazy prices. It's like the company they are using to handle customs charges more then Canada post. Why would we want that?

It's just for years this was never an issue. I all for paying my taxes, but this seems somewhat wrong especially for items that would never traditionally incurred duty fees when coming as an international package. Then again, if it always should have come with fees, then I've been getting off scot-free for the past decade, in which case I'll pay...but the prices seem fairly high.

In all my years of eBaying, I've never once been dinged for customs, it's almost like what's listed on eBay is UPS levels of brokerage fees (might be a slight exaggeration, but still).

It's just for years this was never an issue. I all for paying my taxes, but this seems somewhat wrong especially for items that would never traditionally incurred duty fees when coming as an international package. Then again, if it always should have come with fees, then I've been getting off scot-free for the past decade, in which case I'll pay...but the prices seem fairly high.

In all my years of eBaying, I've never once been dinged for customs, it's almost like what's listed on eBay is UPS levels of brokerage fees (might be a slight exaggeration, but still).

The worst part is the seller is completely oblivious to the extra charge. They send the package to Pitney Bowes who then forwards it to the International customer. There's also some people who have claimed that Pitney Bowes have on occasion opened the package to try and reduce shipping size and weight to further reduce their costs. I've stopped using Paypal, Ebay and Kijiji when I got dinged with it back in February.

ultra7k

The worst part is the seller is completely oblivious to the extra charge. They send the package to Pitney Bowes who then forwards it to the International customer. There's also some people who have claimed that Pitney Bowes have on occasion opened the package to try and reduce shipping size and weight to further reduce their costs. I've stopped using Paypal, Ebay and Kijiji when I got dinged with it back in February.

Seriously? Is this part of some opt in program where the seller can do this to streamline the shipping process?

I mean, whatever happened to shipping out via USPS? Or has Pitney Bowes become the defacto logistics carrier for eBay?

Stomp Farmer

Neo Member
I've been lurking this thread for a while and you guys have pointed me in the direction of some nice deals over the months. There was some nice advice about the E3 sales in particular. Thanks!

Seriously? Is this part of some opt in program where the seller can do this to streamline the shipping process?

I mean, whatever happened to shipping out via USPS? Or has Pitney Bowes become the defacto logistics carrier for eBay?

Ebay is billing it as an easier way for the sellers to provide international shipping. Even those that already did through USPS are thinking it's a better deal because they don't see the ridiculous charge. So as a result we're seeing less sellers ship through USPS.

Finally picked up Wolfestien now that it's onsale everywhere here. $44 was the sweet spot for me, I hope retailers realize they're sending games out to die at $70.

iphys

I don't think they charge the extra fee except for $20+ items, which we are technically supposed to pay taxes and whatever brokerage fee the shipping company charges, so it's just you're paying that up front instead of when the item arrives. I'd say you're no worse off than if the seller had shipped with UPS/DHL and left you to pay their brokerage fees, and at least you can decide in advance whether it's worth it or not.

It's only less preferable than a seller that uses the mail system and leaves you to take your chances with customs, because a lot of the time you get a lucky break and Canada Post fails to bother to collect their $10 fee + taxes that we should be paying all the time. Just had a $40 package sneak through from Hong Kong today without getting dinged, lol. I think the last time I actually had them bother to collect it was for a $200 order that arrived in a giant box; otherwise, I guess they don't really pay very much attention.

ultra7k

I don't think they charge the extra fee except for $20+ items, which we are technically supposed to pay taxes and whatever brokerage fee the shipping company charges, so it's just you're paying that up front instead of when the item arrives. I'd say you're no worse off than if the seller had shipped with UPS/DHL and left you to pay their brokerage fees, and at least you can decide in advance whether it's worth it or not.

It's only less preferable than a seller that uses the mail system and leaves you to take your chances with customs, because a lot of the time you get a lucky break and Canada Post fails to bother to collect their $10 fee + taxes that we should be paying all the time. Just had a $40 package sneak through from Hong Kong today without getting dinged, lol. I think the last time I actually had them bother to collect it was for a $200 order that arrived in a giant box; otherwise, I guess they don't really pay very much attention.

Yeah that makes sense, it's just that UPS (no experience myself with DHL) gouges the recipient with their brokerage fees on top of the taxes. I recall ordering a replacement blade years ago for one my hockey sticks, and ended up paying an additional $40 on top of shipping and the actual cost of the blade.

At least with USPS/Canada Post you only pay the taxes if they bother to claim it, and not any additional "processing or handling" fees, which is what the brokerage is. Ah well, I guess I'm just less likely to use eBay from now on.

iphys

At least with USPS/Canada Post you only pay the taxes if they bother to claim it, and not any additional "processing or handling" fees, which is what the brokerage is. Ah well, I guess I'm just less likely to use eBay from now on.

You have to pay a $10 handling fee on top of the taxes with Canada Post. It's not as bad as what the shipping companies charge though.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I just contacted BestBuy.ca regarding the new TLOU price point and the E3 pre orders, and they said that they can't do anything about the price right now because it's a pre order, but we can contact them after release and price match while still keeping the 30% discount. So that should put TLOU at around $44 in Ontario after taxes.

So I just contacted BestBuy.ca regarding the new TLOU price point and the E3 pre orders, and they said that they can't do anything about the price right now because it's a pre order, but we can contact them after release and price match while still keeping the 30% discount. So that should put TLOU at around $44 in Ontario after taxes.

Contact them in store, or online?

iLLmAtlc

You get it in writing? Seems easy to try a screw job later

Cheerilee

What's that and is it free?

Gravity is a recent George Clooney and Sandra Bullock movie about things exploding in space.

3D is a fad that gives you headaches.

Ultraviolet is a digital download system, which means that it might be free to watch the movie (assuming the code is free), but you'll never own it, because owning things was just a fad. Nowadays, it's all about one-sided license agreements.

Madness

Got two copies of Ryse for Xbox One only $19.99 at a Target. One for me, one for my cousin in the States. Some guy bought like 25 copies before me though. Don't know why.

Anyone else get a $50 coupon from Dell? Totally unexpected but really glad I got it.

Picked up Fifa 14 for PS4 for $11 and change.

Edit: Taking the time to read revealed that yes, others have as well.

Returners

Amazon.ca dropped LoU Remastered to 54.99.

The price on my order doesn't seem to have changed. Wondering if I should bother speaking to CSR about this. I did get it in when they had that 15% extra error.

EDIT: Bestbuy has as well.

Canon

Banned
I didn't get the Dell coupon despite getting their useless emails every other day...

Would someone be willing to trade one for a Club Nintendo 2DS code? lol

kaiyo

I contacted bestbuy via the contact form and got this as reply:

Thank you for contacting Best Buy Canada regarding Order # xxxxx.

As we strive to provide our customers with the lowest prices we adjust all pre-orders to the lowest advertised price, between the time your order was placed and the release date, automatically when the order leaves our shipping facilities.

Should you find a lower advertised price within 30 days of the date the item ships please contact us back with a copy of the advertised price and we would be happy to adjust the price in accordance with our Lowest Price Guarantee.

Thank you for choosing Best Buy Canada.

Sincerely,

Princess
Agent ID: 79316
Best Buy Canada.

Princess? xD

Top Bottom