• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
Apparently there's also a visor available in addition to the toys

SjfFLFGEGbh0QFlDldCXQ--O8OZOoqiB.jpg

(this is from NoC's website btw)

Daigr

Noooooooooooooo I just realized looking through my orders from E3 Deals that I forgot to order Persona 4 Arena Ultimax :(
I feel your pain. Playing Persona 4 Golden for the first time. Now I want everything related to it. Didn't preorder Persona Q or Arena Ultimax.

Oh well at least they're not 70.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I went by a McDonald's yesterday but after seeing how cheap the MK toys looked I changed my mind. No room for more stuff anyway. I guess I could put them on my desk at work? Ehhhh.

(I recently cleaned my room and realized how much junk I have.)
I feel the exact same way. I want them but I try not to buy toys because they'll just overwhelm me. It's not like I have a desk job either so I can't even justify getting them for that reason.

khaaan

Went to EB Games to buy FFX/X2 Vita, did I get gypped?

nFTebmz.jpg

The plastic isn't the usual folded stuff, I'm wondering if it's one of the display boxes that they "restored" cause the guy said it was the last copy in the store.

zroid

Banned

nFTebmz.jpg

The plastic isn't the usual folded stuff, I'm wondering if it's one of the display boxes that they "restored" cause the guy said it was the last copy in the store.

i didn't even know they re-wrapped display copies, but if it's their "last" copy then that's probably what it is

khaaan

i didn't even know they re-wrapped display copies, but if it's their "last" copy then that's probably what it is

That's why I was surprised, the guy got the copy from a locked cabinet at the back so I just assumed it was a proper new copy. I guess I'll have to go back later and return it...

Jinto

nFTebmz.jpg

Yeah, looks shady. My copy is still sealed, and it's with the plastic folding.

I see that type of sealing once in awhile, and it's not just at EB. It could be a reseal straight from the factory for whatever reason too. It has definitely been resealed though, and unless there is damage or a used code, it matters exactly zero.

zroid

Banned
There are some blu-rays available at Best Buy which come with coupons to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in theatres, either $8 or $10 depending on the price of the blu-ray.

You can find a list here: http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?query=movie+money (note some of these are for different movies, but you can pick them out by the icon)

generally the coupon is valued at the same amount as the blu-ray itself so pretty good deal if you're planning to see Dawn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh wow. Okay I need to definitely pick one up. Hope they still have some in stock.
They should have 12gbs anyway, unless they went crazy and sold them out in the last couple of days.

http://i.imgur.com/nFTebmz.jpg

That looks like a resealed copy. I'd only be wary since X2 is a download code...

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody ever ordered something from Amazon.com (no .ca). I bought a Steering Wheel yesterday and it just shipped using "Landmark"... I never heard of them. Is it transferred to Canada Post once it goes through customs?

sikkinixx

Speaking of ffx on vita. Is it for sale anywhere? I found it used at EB with the ffx-2 code still in it for $26 but who knows if the code was used or not (stupid it's not a scratch off). I find myself not wanting to sit down with my ps3 but would be up for it on vita.

khaaan

Speaking of ffx on vita. Is it for sale anywhere? I found it used at EB with the ffx-2 code still in it for $26 but who knows if the code was used or not (stupid it's not a scratch off). I find myself not wanting to sit down with my ps3 but would be up for it on vita.

Unfortounately not really...$35 at EB/Gamestop and $34 at Amazon were the best I could find. I've been waiting for it to go on sale at a good price on PSN.

Edit: That reminds me, Play Asia is where most people get their 64GB cards right?

Magnus

Staples at Yonge and Adelaide has two ps3s left. They are unfortunately not applying the 25% off on top of the clearance price.

$130 for the 12gb
$150 for the 160gb

I'd buy just to have a backup, but am deciding against it. I'm toying with the idea of grabbing the Mario Party 9 here though. It's still $40 though...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Staples at Yonge and Adelaide has two ps3s left. They are unfortunately not applying the 25% off on top of the clearance price.

$130 for the 12gb
$150 for the 160gb

I'd buy just to have a backup, but am deciding against it. I'm toying with the idea of grabbing the Mario Party 9 here though. It's still $40 though...
I'd almost want to return my 250gb to save 25 bucks... but fuck it.

Jinto

Edit: That reminds me, Play Asia is where most people get their 64GB cards right?

I bought mine from Yesasia for like $110.

I'd almost want to return my 250gb to save 25 bucks... but fuck it.

Depends on if you want the Slim or Super Slim model. I went there again specifically looking for the slim, since someone recommended it to me (better build quality, less noisy). My 80GB PS3 still works, but it's annoyingly loud.

Although, the added $25 does get you Uncharted 3, no matter how worthless it is now, and extra HDD space.

FluxWaveZ

Noooooooooooooo I just realized looking through my orders from E3 Deals that I forgot to order Persona 4 Arena Ultimax :(

Speaking of Ultimax, I've got a question, if anyone has the answer:

Ultimax apparently won't be received (normally) by Quebec retailers due to language crap, but would one receive a game experiencing this sort of problem in Quebec normally if they pre-ordered it online to ship to Quebec using the Future Shop/Best Buy exploit?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought mine from Yesasia for like $110.

Depends on if you want the Slim or Super Slim model. I went there again specifically looking for the slim, since someone recommended it to me (better build quality, less noisy). My 80GB PS3 still works, but it's annoyingly loud.

Although, the added $25 does get you Uncharted 3, no matter how worthless it is now, and extra HDD space.
I almost like the quaint top loading of the super slimPS3, even if it means I can't stack crap on top of it and change discs easily. lol
I figure the HDD space isn't really worth much since you could always swap out your own drive, but ah well!

$130 for the 12gb
$150 for the 160gb

Wait. I thought all the Staples locations in Toronto were cleared out. You're telling me there's still stuff?

Magnus

Wait. I thought all the Staples locations in Toronto were cleared out. You're telling me there's still stuff?

Yep! They had those two PS3s left at like 6pm or so. Plus a small table near the cash of mostly undesirable sealed games for various platforms, also on clearance prices (except a couple, like Kirby 3DS). I'm starting to regret not getting that Mario Party 9, now that I'm home and researching and seeing how rare it is. Fuck.

Any Staples have Wii U still?

This location sold its last Wii U like 2 minutes before I got there today, apparently. I wasn't too bummed; got mine already. But wanted it for a friend's place (or the BF's place).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I really want a new ps3, think Staples in suburb Toronto has any? Really can't make it downtown :(

TechJunk

nFTebmz.jpg

When I worked at EB Games back in 2002, it was common practice for us to go to the back room and re-seal display copies with a shrink wrap machine and a hair dryer and sell them as new. Shady as shit, but I was young and it was the boss' orders.

When I worked at EB Games back in 2002, it was common practice for us to go to the back room and re-seal display copies with a shrink wrap machine and a hair dryer and sell them as new. Shady as shit, but I was young and it was the boss' orders.

This is one of the reasons I stopped shopping at EB. They sold me a "new" copy of Valkyria Chronicles for $70 and they didn't even have the courtesy to reseal it. All it had was a sticker over where you open it that said it was the display model. It was their last copy and I couldn't find it anywhere else so I just bit the bullet and ran with it.

Yeah, I stopped buying at E3 after hearing about this practice. Stories like employees taking the game home and then repackaging it a week later or display copies being sold to customer as new.

Kazerei

Banned
Apparently there's also a visor available in addition to the toys

SjfFLFGEGbh0QFlDldCXQ--O8OZOoqiB.jpg

(this is from NoC's website btw)

Well, shit. The last time I ate a Happy Meal, I got a Hercules toy to go with the Disney film that was just released. And even then, I felt a little old to be eating a Happy Meal.

I guess I'll order for take-out and pretend it's for my imaginary kids >_>

terrible

Banned
This is one of the reasons I stopped shopping at EB. They sold me a "new" copy of Valkyria Chronicles for $70 and they didn't even have the courtesy to reseal it. All it had was a sticker over where you open it that said it was the display model. It was their last copy and I couldn't find it anywhere else so I just bit the bullet and ran with it.

I was with a friend who bought Half-Life 2 (PC) when it came out. All the contents of the box came from a drawer and we didn't notice that they didn't include the paper with the CD key until we got to her place.

It was really fun trying to convince them that they didn't give her the CD key. They basically treated us like criminals. That was what soured me on EB games. Unsealed games.. nah. I'll pass.

CKB3375

The urge to get an Xbox One is rising, some of the exclusives will be too tough to pass up even though I've gone with PS4 this gen so far.

Are there any deals out there for either version? Anyone know when the next No Tax day is at RCSS?

Returners

I've just gone on a spree ordering blu-rays from Amazon lately and they all seem fine.

I've had one instance where the blu ray I've ordered came not only unsealed, but the disc had finger prints on it...

Though you might watch out more for UPS delivering Amazon packages, had one guy just throw them at the front porch.

Magnus

I've had one instance where the blu ray I've ordered came not only unsealed, but the disc had finger prints on it...

Though you might watch out more for UPS delivering Amazon packages, had one guy just throw them at the front porch.

I initially bought the Lost complete series on bluray from Best Buy. I'm really glad that all of the Season 1 discs had fingerprints all over them, because it gave me a great excuse to get a little pissed off when I returned it. They granted me a refund instead of just a store credit. And again, I'm glad - would have regretted the purchase, ultimately.

I just checked their webpage and that price looks almost too good to be true =P
There must be some hidden catch, do they hit you with import fees?

Nothing hidden there, they are 100% legit!
And yes surprisingly some stuff can be imported for a total cost less than out local prices, I bought a blue DS4 from them and it came down to ~$65 shipped and I didn't pay any custom fees!

Top Bottom