• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Not gaming related but I need some opinions please :)

So I'm applying to this job in the insurance industry and should be interviewed within a week or so, Do you guys think I should wear a full suit or just a dress shirt and a tie? If I'm to buy a new suit cause I'll probably need a new one, any suggestions for not very expensive stuff?

And as a motive for your sincere help, if I get this job I'll probably give away something here :D

QaaQer

So I'm applying to this job in the insurance industry and should be interviewed within a week or so, Do you guys think I should wear a full suit or just a dress shirt and a tie? If I'm to buy a new suit cause I'll probably need a new one, any suggestions for not very expensive stuff?

And as a motive for your sincere help, if I get this job I'll probably give away something here :D

It's always better to over dress for an interview than under dress & it's always great to have a suit for weddings and whatnot.

Brooks Brothers @ Cross Iron Mills. Cross Iron has some outlet stores, so they're a bit cheaper. That's where I got my last one for a funeral I had to attend.

Although I wish I would have just gotten a Moore's suit, Brooks Bros was kind of a waste of money as I've only worn it once. Moore's is excellent value, so I guess I'd check there first, I got a suit there in 2006 and there was nothing wrong with it. Although, as with all off the rack stuff, you need to be a somewhat regular size.

edit: and good luck!

i-Jest

Suite.

I have a few suits but I'd rather get a newly fitted one than go through my closet and dry clean/re-fit my older ones!

What's the normal budget right now to get a suit, shirt, tie and shoes? Never bought one since I moved to Canada so I have no idea about the prices!

QaaQer

Brooks Bros set me back $1200 + $200 for shoes.

In 2006, Moore's was around $300. I think I got some shoes there as well for around $100.

Worth every penny. If you liked stuff like riddick or half life, you'll enjoy every moment

Riddick comparison is very appropriate. Wolfenstein: TNO is a fantastic shooter. It has a fun story and characters too. They put a surprising amount of work into this.

QaaQer

Oh, and if you do go outlet store, just remember that not everything in outlet stores is the same as in the regular retail stores.

We got some Oakley sunglasses at cross iron, and they were made in China whereas the ones in the regular retail stores, like at Chinook, are USA made.

Oh, and if you do go outlet store, just remember that not everything in outlet stores is the same as in the regular retail stores.

We got some Oakley sunglasses at cross iron, and they were made in China whereas the ones in the regular retail stores, like at Chinook, are USA made.

Thank you so much man, really appreciated :)

Last thing: ever tried Tip Top?

mamoui

I have a few suits but I'd rather get a newly fitted one than go through my closet and dry clean/re-fit my older ones!

What's the normal budget right now to get a suit, shirt, tie and shoes? Never bought one since I moved to Canada so I have no idea about the prices!

Do you have a suit un good shape that you don't want anymore? If you bring one at moores they gave you a 50% coupon. https://www.mooresclothing.com/mor/suitDrive.jsp?locale=en_CA

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, anybody knows where I could get cheap-but-not-too-cheap HDMI cables? I had some from Dollarama, but after some times they started causing problems with my HDMI splitter; bad signal, losing image/sound intermittently/etc. I need some cables that won't do that, but I don't want to pay $200 for "high-quality" ones at Futureshop...!

CRA5H

Hey, anybody knows where I could get cheap-but-not-too-cheap HDMI cables? I had some from Dollarama, but after some times they started causing problems with my HDMI splitter; bad signal, losing image/sound intermittently/etc. I need some cables that won't do that, but I don't want to pay $200 for "high-quality" ones at Futureshop...!
Monoprice if you're willing to wait for shipping

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, I was complaining about Futureshop but I checked their website and they do have $4-5 ones. I guess they'd be alright?

ElNino

Thank you so much man, really appreciated :)

Last thing: ever tried Tip Top?
I went to Tip Top for an emergency suit purchase this past weekend. I was out of town (Kingston) for a wedding and realised that I was missing my suit pants.

I bought a suit at Tip Top and had some basic tailoring done in under two hours... although the timing is not normal, they made an exception for me to get it done so fast. They had a bunch of suits on sale for 50% off, but the one I chose was not; it was however, relatively inexpensive at around $400.

jholmes

There's nothing like a fresh batch, unfortunately. It's worth the drive to Sauga to give em a shot at least once though. Being in Scarborough I certainly miss the stc location. But you'd figure why even in populated areas it would be hard to justify the cost of running the store. It's not an every day kinda item

There's one I think at Harbord and Bathurst. Not a bad location to walk to downtown or from transit but driving is a pain because where the hell are you going to park?

MercuryLS

Banned
Just picked up wolfenstein for ps4 for $40 at Walmart. Thanks for heads up guys.

I bought it yesterday for $50 at Futureshop because I couldn't find it for $40 anywhere. Should have waited one more day. Will return this copy to FS.

Been playing a bit of this since yesterday, the game is awesome. Gives me Riddick vibes (with more action). Perfect thing to wash the nasty Watch Dogs taste out of my mouth.

iLLmAtlc

I find it's not that difficult to get together a decent looking suit for cheap. I just buy blazers and pants from places like H&M separately for like ~70 and ~20. As you probably know the most important thing is for it to fit well so as long as they fit the price doesn't matter.

Anyway went to Mickey D's to get my happy meal yesterday. The toy actually looks pretty good IMO. It might be because I'm not used to buying high end stuff that comes with CEs though.

RE_Player

I just picked up Wolfenstein for $40 at my local Wal-Mart so the price is in effect. I also helped a father pick up a Vita for his son. Him and the employee didn't know where the Vita was, the Borderlands 2 packaging confused them, so I pointed it out. He than asked me questions for 5 minutes about the system which I was glad to answer. It was weird though having the employee sit back and see me sort of doing his job.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ugh, I kept getting install issues with Wolfenstein on X1. Had to do some work around to get it to install properly. Thought it was my copy at first but it seems to be a fairly common issue.

DJ_Lae

I have more of these than I know what to do with, and in a bunch of colours too.

They're cheaper direct Monoprice, but not significantly so, and actually more expensive if you're only ordering a couple.

Just get the $10 ones at Wal-Mart. I've had zero problems.

i-Jest

Does this tickle your fancy? http://www.gamestreet.ca/10ft-hdmi-cable/ I've had no problems with this one.

Corsspost from different thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853501

XBP

I got these a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be working great so far. They have excellent build quality so i'm sure they'll last a while as well

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00316263Y/

khaaan

Bought Tales of Symphonia for $20 from Futureshop today...though that's twice as expensive as when it was on sale digitally. Still the best deal at the moment though.

chimster

Monoprice if you're willing to wait for shipping

you can order monoprice stuff off amazon.ca and it ships from amazon's warehouse in Canada.

My 3-year Telus (corporate) contract ended a week ago, and tonight I just signed up with Wind. Fortunately got in on their $39 US/Canada unlimited plan they've somehow still got going on. It'll be nice to pay just a bit less for cell service.

Then went to the Stone Road Staples in Guelph and found a copy of Thief still around. $30 is about what I would be happy with paying for that.

Does anyone know if I have to have the space available already in my Wii U to redeem the free games from the Mario Kart event? I haven't been able to grab a Y cable for my HD yet and I have the 8GB console so stuffing Pikmin 3 there just isn't possible...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My 3-year Telus (corporate) contract ended a week ago, and tonight I just signed up with Wind. Fortunately got in on their $39 US/Canada unlimited plan they've somehow still got going on. It'll be nice to pay just a bit less for cell service.

Then went to the Stone Road Staples in Guelph and found a copy of Thief still around. $30 is about what I would be happy with paying for that.
Has that Staples been cleared out?

ohlawd

Does anyone know if I have to have the space available already in my Wii U to redeem the free games from the Mario Kart event? I haven't been able to grab a Y cable for my HD yet and I have the 8GB console so stuffing Pikmin 3 there just isn't possible...
I think you need space when redeeming codes.

The code doesn't expire until October 1st.

Has that Staples been cleared out?

Mostly. I didn't check anything for consoles, as I have no need, but on PS4 I saw a copy of COD, BF4 and ACIV, and probably about the same on the 'bone.

The one up on Woodlawn/Woolwich by Walmart had more when I was there a week ago (but that was a week ago), and it had a much nicer presentation of the newer clearance titles.

I was just in Windsor last weekend and all the Staples there were picked clean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mostly. I didn't check anything for consoles, as I have no need, but on PS4 I saw a copy of COD, BF4 and ACIV, and probably about the same on the 'bone.

The one up on Woodlawn/Woolwich by Walmart had more when I was there a week ago (but that was a week ago), and it had a much nicer presentation of the newer clearance titles.

I was just in Windsor last weekend and all the Staples there were picked clean.
I'm still looking for a Wii U Pro controller but haven't seen one in the few stores I went to. Heading up to the Walmart Staples seems like too much work for something that is at best an off chance. That one hour bus ride. :(

I'm still looking for a Wii U Pro controller but haven't seen one in the few stores I went to. Heading up to the Walmart Staples seems like too much work for something that is at best an off chance. That one hour bus ride. :(

Yikes. I live downtown, so everything is relatively quick on the bus. Even getting to work in the Hanlon Industrial Park takes only 20 minutes.

Bought Tales of Symphonia for $20 from Futureshop today...though that's twice as expensive as when it was on sale digitally. Still the best deal at the moment though.

Thanks for the head's up! Had my eye on it! I'll grab it over the next couple days or so, also they have Armored Core Verdict Day on PS3 for $10, wonder if I should go for it or not.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
If anybody interested in Sims 4. Amazon.ca has The Sims 4 Premium Edition for 60$ to pre-order. That's 30$ discount.

khaaan

Thanks for the head's up! Had my eye on it! I'll grab it over the next couple days or so, also they have Armored Core Verdict Day on PS3 for $10, wonder if I should go for it or not.

Make sure you do it within the next couple days! It's part of Futureshop's four day sale, today was the first day.

There are some other gaming deals but none of them jumped out at me.

$20 Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
$30 Arkham Origins (PS3/360)
$30 Dance Central 3
$40 COD: Ghosts (PS3/360)
$40 Dark Souls 2
$45 Xbone Controller, get Xbox Live (12-month) for $15
$55 South Park Stick of Truth
$60 MLB 14
$99 Playstation Gold Headset, get $10 gift card
$299 250GB 360 w. Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4, and Aliens CM

Lots of movies and other things on sale too.

Sora_N

same lol

and I decided to stop buying shit that I'm probably never going to play so...

I'd rather just buy the collection WHEN I want to play it, which is gonna be a really long time lol.

I'd rather finish Graces f, Abyss and Xillia first. :/ And if Symphonia is too expensive by then I'll just play my GC copy first lol. #solutions

Top Bottom