• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
Haha you've missed it being on sale like 6 times! At this point I would just keep checking Amazon, they seem to randomly drop the price of Destiny every couple of weeks.

heh, if that's the case, he should just put in a pre-order now and let the price guarantee do the rest of the work

Haines

Banned
Haha you've missed it being on sale like 6 times! At this point I would just keep checking Amazon, they seem to randomly drop the price of Destiny every couple of weeks.

Ah.

I just never had any hype for the game but this ps4 beta..wow...I need this game.

I'll just check amazon.

Do they have a certain page that shows what game deals are currently on?

ahdurian

Anyone know any good deals on computers and/or laptops?
I'm still debating what to get....either get a desktop, prebuilt and upgrade later (when parts are on sale/i have more money) or build from scratch,
or get a laptop

not going to be hardcore gaming on them, but would nice to game once in a while

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm trying to find out how much stores are giving for copies of Forza 5.

TIVS only has the "Limited Edition" so I called Futureshop. The dude said "Oh I don't know, come to the store if you want to find out. I would have to login into my PC and it would take too long"....

Wow....how about fuck you dude? Geez

Btw is that 25$ card with XB1 purchase deal at Target available in Québec too? I went to a Target earlier and there was no mention of it anywhere (but they also didn't have any XB1 in stock).

Is anybody interest in $90 of digital xbox money? I'm probably not buying any digital games anymore, so I'm selling it for $80.

It's Canadian currency.

XBP

Did any of you guys who pre-ordered Destiny from Amazon.ca receive a beta password in your E-Mail at all?

Yes. I got it after 2 minutes of pre-ordering from amazon. If anyone wants destiny ps3 beta codes let me know. I have two spare codes.

Also, MGS Legacy collection is finally in stock on amazon for 50$. If anyone hasn't bought it yet, now might be a very good time before the price goes up to 70-80$ again (its still 75$ at amazon.com).

Yes. I got it after 2 minutes of pre-ordering from amazon. If anyone wants destiny ps3 beta codes let me know. I have two spare codes.

Also, MGS Legacy collection is finally in stock on amazon for 50$ again. If anyone hasn't bought it yet, now might be a very good time before the price goes up to 70-80$ again.

If you still have a spare, may I get one?

edit:

you know what? nevermind.. someone who'd actually have the time to play it should get a crack at it

You sure? Let me know if you change your mind. :)

Thanks, but as soon as I requested it I realized that at most I'd play it for an hour and a half and my interests would gravitate towards something else (usually on the PC). This way, at least someone who really really wants to play it will get an opportunity.

Also, thanks for letting us know about the metal gear solid legacy on amazon. I picked one up. I need to play Peacewalker before Ground Zeros.

Hey guys, what's the best place to order a Circle Pad Pro XL? Now that I have monster hunter 4 preordered, I should probably get one for optimum play.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Which city are you talking about?

Sorry, I was talking about Toronto.

I think he's referring to Toronto. I was hoping it was going through a renovation :(

Nope, it's closing for good. There's three big ones that I know of that closed. The one on Richmond and John (Scotiabank Theatre), the one by Runnymede and The World's Biggest Bookstore on Edward Street by Atrium on Bay.

It's all pretty sad... :(.

Sorry, I was talking about Toronto.

Nope, it's closing for good. There's three big ones that I know of that closed. The one on Richmond and John (Scotiabank Theatre), the one by Runnymede and The World's Biggest Bookstore on Edward Street by Atrium on Bay.

It's all pretty sad... :(.

Yep, that's pretty much all the major downtown Indigos that I can remember besides the flagship at Bay and Bloor. Indigo's pivot to selling candles and pillows has apparently not worked out as well as hoped. At least Book City opened up a new store in the Bloor West Village, so that's something.

P.S. When I checked Amazon.ca, MGS Legacy Collection was actually $45. Also, damn you XBP, I'd put off buying it for so long that I thought I managed to escape its clutches. Dunno why I decided to bite now when I think it was technically eligible during the E3 30% off promo at Amazon, but whatever.

XBP

Yep, that's pretty much all the major downtown Indigos that I can remember besides the flagship at Bay and Bloor. Indigo's pivot to selling candles and pillows has apparently not worked out as well as hoped. At least Book City opened up a new store in the Bloor West Village, so that's something.

P.S. When I checked Amazon.ca, MGS Legacy Collection was actually $45. Also, damn you XBP, I'd put off buying it for so long that I thought I managed to escape its clutches. Dunno why I decided to bite now when I think it was technically eligible during the E3 30% off promo at Amazon, but whatever.

You're welcome. :). I had pre-ordered the game last month (june 15th) when amazon first put up the 50$ price. I got an email from them 10-12 days ago that they'll ship the game between August 5 - September 24. I guess they got their stock a lot earlier than expected, which is good because i really wanted to re-play MGS 1-3 and then start with MGS 4.

Destiny beta codes:

One for PS3: Quote to reveal

One for PS4: quote to reveal

Beta codes to be used at Bungie.net where you get codes for your preferred platform: Quote to reveal

Please let others know you used the code :)

are you paying USD?

and did you have them open the box and mark it as used so that its 'possibly' not taxed?

i did that for my jp day 1 vita
I did pay with USD.

As for the used thing, no, I was not aware that's an option. (I wouldn't ask for that anyway.)

farisr

Last of us PS4 for $49.99 (preorder) at VGP but does not include shipping so i don't know if it's better than amazon but anyways here's the link.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=21738

Yeah, it's not, due to videogameplus having at least a $5 shipping charge.

But, what you can do is once the game releases, either buy it at a VGP retail store, or price match at BB or FS and get it for $49.99.

If you miss out on preorder sales, and what not, price matching VGP will get you the pre-price hike price on the game from FS and BB (if you notice, I think pretty much all ps4/xbox one games are the regular 59.99 pricetag at VGP, instead of the 69.99 pricetag you'll find everywhere else).

If I lived near a videogameplus retail store (or a less than 10 minute driving distance), I would totally support them by going into the store and buying the game there. Sadly, the closest one to me is about a 40 minute drive away.

The stupid router from Rogers is blocking 3DS/WiiU/PS4 from working at all, and is making the iPhone/iPad/Surface/Playbook work like shit (i.e. choppy, slow and doesn't work most of the time). It works perfectly fine on my laptop though. We even have another router set up, so it's not even that. It's coming from Rogers Internet itself.

Should I call Rogers?

farisr

The stupid router from Rogers is blocking 3DS/WiiU/PS4 from working at all, and is making the iPhone/iPad/Surface/Playbook work like shit (i.e. choppy, slow and doesn't work most of the time). It works perfectly fine on my laptop though. We even have another router set up, so it's not even that. It's coming from Rogers Internet itself.

Should I call Rogers?

If you have a router setup and the modem is in bridge mode, Rogers can't do anything. You may have to setup port forwarding on the router, OR the modem is malfunctioning if everything was working fine before.

If the modem isn't in bridge mode, and some devices are directly connecting to the modem instead of going through the router, you'll need to setup port forwarding on the modem, which regular tech support can't help you with.

Megasoum

Banned
Sweet, just bought an XB1 for 399$ at Target and got the 25$ gift card. Used it to buy Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 which are 20$ each. So 21$ total for both games.

krae_man

I decided I wanted a laptop for when I travel and $400 was my budget.

I thought long and hard between this and this.

Decided on the Toshiba for CPU/Ram over Screen size and resolution. Good choice?

kitzkozan

Just got 5$ back from amazon on MGS Legacy collection. I'm glad that i had pre-ordered the game. :D

The new batch of legacy collection copies are $5 cheaper since it doesn't include the artbook. :/ I saw it yesterday in a store and found it strange that it was cheaper. Upon inspection, I noticed that they took out the artbook & the slipcover. XD Glad that I purchased the original version since it's nearly out of print now.

The Last of Us remastered is $51.99 on amazon.ca, which is making my pre-order look like a near steal (have the 30% off from E3).

Magnus

For those unaware, Nintendo's doing Tomodachi Life gatherings across Canada on Saturdays. Just stopped by one at College Park in Toronto.

For those in the city, next Saturday's is in Nathan Phillips Square.

Please feel free to copy this to all relevant threads.

For those unaware, Nintendo's doing Tomodachi Life gatherings across Canada on Saturdays. Just stopped by one at College Park in Toronto.

For those in the city, next Saturday's is in Nathan Phillips Square.

Please feel free to copy this to all relevant threads.

I just saw this in Vancouver. Are they giving away freebies or something?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I have been using Distributel's VOIP service for about 3 years as my home phone, but it's pretty shitty (randomly losing connection, so people can't call me until I notice the phone stopped working and I have to reset the VOIP box and modem). I called customer service a few times to try to fix the problem, but it never worked, and they don't even want to give me a discount for the terrible quality of their phone service. I had enough.

So what would be the cheapest option in Canada to have a phone number and be able to make/receive a few phone calls? I don't need a lot of minutes, just to be reachable. I looked a bit and saw things like the MagicJack, but I'm not sure I can trust that... I'm pretty open to options, as long as it's cheap and reliable: VOIP, traditional phone line, very cheap cellphone plan, whatever...

Ondore

I just saw this in Vancouver. Are they giving away freebies or something?

The one in Dartmouth today had frisbees and sunglasses. I assume that's nationwide.

Of course, two weeks ago had the remnants of a tropical storm and last week's had the cops called, so I didn't stay long enough to get anything else.

I have been using Distributel's VOIP service for about 3 years as my home phone, but it's pretty shitty (randomly losing connection, so people can't call me until I notice the phone stopped working and I have to reset the VOIP box and modem). I called customer service a few times to try to fix the problem, but it never worked, and they don't even want to give me a discount for the terrible quality of their phone service. I had enough.

So what would be the cheapest option in Canada to have a phone number and be able to make/receive a few phone calls? I don't need a lot of minutes, just to be reachable. I looked a bit and saw things like the MagicJack, but I'm not sure I can trust that... I'm pretty open to options, as long as it's cheap and reliable: VOIP, traditional phone line, very cheap cellphone plan, whatever...

I hear good things about MagicJack but I never used the actual device, I use their iPhone app though and it's pretty good!
I was considering it for home phone service but I'm not sure it's as good as a land line!

Maximus.

Ugh I sometimes hate Craigslist. Just had a seller decide to change the price we agreed on last minute after we had a lengthy conversation. I wasn't even offering a bad price, he was overcharging. Oh well, hope my patience plays out in the end!

If you have a router setup and the modem is in bridge mode, Rogers can't do anything. You may have to setup port forwarding on the router, OR the modem is malfunctioning if everything was working fine before.

If the modem isn't in bridge mode, and some devices are directly connecting to the modem instead of going through the router, you'll need to setup port forwarding on the modem, which regular tech support can't help you with.

How can you tell if it's in bridge mode or not?

EDIT: I disconnected the router, used a LAN cable to connect to the PS4 and the NAT connection still fails. Is Rogers blocking it?

EDIT: I disconnected the router, used a LAN cable to connect to the PS4 and the NAT connection still fails. Is Rogers blocking it?

On your router, try using a different DNS. A DNS is the server that translates "www.neogaf.com" to its IP, and I suspect Roger's DNS is messing up the PSN IP or something. Try Google's DNS: 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary. Note that you can also specify a DNS on your PS3/4 settings as well. You'll have to go into advanced network settings to get that up.

If that still doesn't work, then I dunno what you can do.

farisr

The easiest way to tell is if you try to access the modem settings page using 192.168.0.1 (in the address bar of your internet browser) using a computer that is directly connected to the modem via cable. If you can't get to that page, that means the modem is bridged.

Just curious, is your modem the CGN3 (this one)?

modem.png

zroid

Banned
Does anyone who was offering earlier still have any PS3 Destiny beta codes? A friend of mine really wants to try it.

edit: I just realized there was a code begging thread, I'll check there

The easiest way to tell is if you try to access the modem settings page using 192.168.0.1 (in the address bar of your internet browser) using a computer that is directly connected to the modem via cable. If you can't get to that page, that means the modem is bridged.

Just curious, is your modem the CGN3 (this one)?

modem.png

Yup exactly that one. And going to that gives me some login screen.

XBP

The new batch of legacy collection copies are $5 cheaper since it doesn't include the artbook. :/ I saw it yesterday in a store and found it strange that it was cheaper. Upon inspection, I noticed that they took out the artbook & the slipcover. XD Glad that I purchased the original version since it's nearly out of print now.

The Last of Us remastered is $51.99 on amazon.ca, which is making my pre-order look like a near steal (have the 30% off from E3).

I would be extremely disappointed if that was the case. Amazon's page still lists the artbook is included in this version. I really hope thats true.

Does anyone who was offering earlier still have any PS3 Destiny beta codes? A friend of mine really wants to try it.

edit: I just realized there was a code begging thread, I'll check there

I still have my codes. Let me know if you still need one.

UberTag

As promised, I'm forwarding over my Destiny Beta code now that Amazon has sent it over...

Quote to reveal as usual.

zroid

Banned
I still have my codes. Let me know if you still need one.

Thanks, I managed to get one from the begging thread. :)

And I wasn't even planning to try the game, but there was another code just sitting there waiting to be used... so I took one for myself as well :lol

Top Bottom