• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

UberTag

The defacto #1 gaming console for the next 5+ years and you want folks on a gaming forum to talk you out of it? Okay... well...

Ummm... what PS4 games are you most interested in? Because if you're only hyped about cross-gen and you've already got a system that can play those titles, you can always wait. But I don't see the PS4 being less than $379 Canadian any time soon.

Questionable warranty, they apparently aren't recognized by Sony as an authorized seller

This?

If you're not totally satisfied with your purchase, within 30 days of receipt, simply fill out the RMA form (inside every package) and send it back with the prepaid shipping label included.

Same goes for warranty replacements, if your product acts up during the warranty period, follow the same procedure as for returns and we'll take care of it.

hmmm. Still unsure.

The defacto #1 gaming console for the next 5+ years and you want folks on a gaming forum to talk you out of it? Okay... well...

Ummm... what PS4 games are you most interested in? Because if you're only hyped about cross-gen and you've already got a system that can play those titles, you can always wait. But I don't see the PS4 being less than $379 Canadian any time soon.

I'm just really cheap. Plus I have a huge backlog. Killzone and Knack is coming down to $20 at Wal Mart this week, but I wish there was more cheaper software available

zroid

Banned
I'm just really cheap. Plus I have a huge backlog. Killzone and Knack is coming down to $20 at Wal Mart this week, but I wish there was more cheaper software available

get it at shoppers, ideally after it drops back to $400 (hopefully it will)

there's always one promotion or another you can take advantage of there. if you have a parent or grandparent who can help you out, then you can get 20% off on thursday, for example. you can even combine the discount with a points redemption and get a really good deal.

XBP

So if it doesn't have the artbook, what does the Legacy Collection have that MGS HD PS3 plus MGS4 doesn't give you? And if this is in fact a reprint, is it even worth hanging onto because it might be scarce again?

If you already have MGS4 and the HD collection then only MGS1. I contacted amazon and told them that my package was missing the artbook, they offered me a free return or a 20% partial refund. I took the refund as i dont want to spend 80$ on the artbook version and i dont have any of the MGS games on PS4. So the game ended up costing me 35$, which isn't so bad i guess.

This Friday SDM has an offer for 10% off and 10X the points at the same time, if you wanna buy a PS4 you will get it for $405 plus about $80-90 in points that you can use for games or extra controllers! Same applies to any other console! Pretty good deal in my opinion!

Returners

Any people contact Bestbuy on Last of Us Remastered price on their E3 preorder?

I was thinking if Amazon is the better option now that its pre-order price guarantees the lowest price on top of the E3 promo discount.

Did the Amazon adjust their promo discount based on the price drop from 69.99 to 51.99?

diaspora

There's nothing to play on it now, he's just better off waiting for a Black Friday deal.

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a quick question for you guys. I'm moving to Toronto next month for my Master's Degree at UofT and I'm currently looking at my internet options. TekSavvy seems like the best bet, but I can't decide on a plan.

Basically I'm looking at either DSL 25 or Cable 30. Probably unlimited either way. Is there any real disadvantage to going with DSL? It's quite a bit cheaper, at $58 a month for unlimited vs $75 for unlimited on cable.

Anyway I'm sure some of you in here have experience with teksavvy and all that. Figured it might be a good place to ask and I don't know much about cable vs DSL. If any of you are in Toronto and on a good plan that you like feel free to suggest others.

Hyunkel6

I was too lazy to drive to Wal-Mart and did my first PM ever at Target for Killzone PS4. Was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly it went. They just needed to check the Wal-Mart flyer, and I was out in no time. It's kinda scary how empty Target (mine at least) is compared to WM. I hope they don't go out of business.

I was too lazy to drive to Wal-Mart and did my first PM ever at Target for Killzone PS4. Was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly it went. They just needed to check the Wal-Mart flyer, and I was out in no time. It's kinda scary how empty Target (mine at least) is compared to WM. I hope they don't go out of business.

I can't really compare them to Walmart, so many people go to Walmart for groceries then they shop for other stuff! Target is not really competing in the grocery market!

get it at shoppers, ideally after it drops back to $400 (hopefully it will)

there's always one promotion or another you can take advantage of there. if you have a parent or grandparent who can help you out, then you can get 20% off on thursday, for example. you can even combine the discount with a points redemption and get a really good deal.

This Friday SDM has an offer for 10% off and 10X the points at the same time, if you wanna buy a PS4 you will get it for $405 plus about $80-90 in points that you can use for games or extra controllers! Same applies to any other console! Pretty good deal in my opinion!

I'm not an optimum member, so by the time my card ships it will probably be past Friday. Thanks, though.

Cross-posting but:

Pretty good deals on Injustice Ultimate Edition (digital):

PS4 - $8.40
PSV - $4.20

Via Game Deals Canada twitter.

This is a good deal for people who don't have PS+

zroid

Banned
I'm not an optimum member, so by the time my card ships it will probably be past Friday. Thanks, though.

Unless something's changed recently, I'm pretty sure you don't need to sign up online, can just do it in-store right there. And een if you sign up online, I think you can print a temporary card and pick it up in-store on your next visit.

(just FYI by the way, not trying to pressure you into buying it from Shoppers or anything lol)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a quick question for you guys. I'm moving to Toronto next month for my Master's Degree at UofT and I'm currently looking at my internet options. TekSavvy seems like the best bet, but I can't decide on a plan.

Basically I'm looking at either DSL 25 or Cable 30. Probably unlimited either way. Is there any real disadvantage to going with DSL? It's quite a bit cheaper, at $58 a month for unlimited vs $75 for unlimited on cable.

Anyway I'm sure some of you in here have experience with teksavvy and all that. Figured it might be a good place to ask and I don't know much about cable vs DSL. If any of you are in Toronto and on a good plan that you like feel free to suggest others.

You can try the Toronto Community thread for more impressions. I've had both, but I prefer cable because it gives me the option to upgrade at a later time (which I did).

Both will have outages, though cable seems to have more outages since Rogers likes to dick around with Teksavvy lines.

Hey guys,

Meh some people swear by DSL and some by cable. Teksavvy is great. I used to have DSL with them and then out of nowhere one day my speed was worse. Bell kept giving teksavvy the run-around in terms of why, I switched to cable, solid as a goddamn rock. Rarely ever an issue and very consistent. I haven't had an outage in my area in forever, other than the ice storm of course.

I'm sure the DSL has gotten better over time though.

Unless something's changed recently, I'm pretty sure you don't need to sign up online, can just do it in-store right there. And een if you sign up online, I think you can print a temporary card and pick it up in-store on your next visit.

Bah, just pulled the trigger already with the eBay deal. Thanks anyway

You can try the Toronto Community thread for more impressions. I've had both, but I prefer cable because it gives me the option to upgrade at a later time (which I did).

Both will have outages, though cable seems to have more outages since Rogers likes to dick around with Teksavvy lines.

Completely forgot that we had a Toronto thread, I'll post this over there. Thanks!

Meh some people swear by DSL and some by cable. Teksavvy is great. I used to have DSL with them and then out of nowhere one day my speed was worse. Bell kept giving teksavvy the run-around in terms of why, I switched to cable, solid as a goddamn rock. Rarely ever an issue and very consistent. I haven't had an outage in my area in forever, other than the ice storm of course.

I'm sure the DSL has gotten better over time though.

Thanks for the input!

Any idea about AmiAmi shipping cost to Canada? they won't tell you shipping cost until you place the order which is annoying! Basically I'm buying a 1/6 figure!

Just got the MGS legacy collection from amazon and it doesn't include the artbook. I'm extremely disappointed right now. Thinking of returning this as amazon's listing still says that the artbook is included in this package.

Yep, same here. I'm contacting amazon support to see what's up with the listing.

N° 2048

Can anyone recommend me a good HDMI switch for consoles? Last one I had (IOGear) didn't work properly and def don't want to do an RMA process again.

Tapejara

Any idea about AmiAmi shipping cost to Canada? they won't tell you shipping cost until you place the order which is annoying! Basically I'm buying a 1/6 figure!

Man, AmiAmi has a Neptunia figure I want, but they have some weird policies. Apparently you can't cancel orders and now you're saying you can't even find out the shipping price until you place the order? Does not make any sense to me.

Edit: Oh there are some price estimates at the bottom of the page:

Some rough estimates of EMS fees are as follows:
Small-Size Poseable Figure - appx. 1,500 JPY ~ 2,000 JPY, to North America
1/8 - 1/6 PVC Figure - appx. 2,000 JPY ~ 3,600 JPY, to North America

Luigi87

A 1/6 Figure will probably range anywhere from $15 all the way to $40 for EMS shipping I think (or $8.50-$25 for SAL unregistered). 1/6 is a pretty large scale, so a big deciding factor will be the box dimensions.

I had an order that had a D-Arts figure, a 1/7 Scale, and a RAH figure, and it was only 6,520 yen...

Lexxism

You actually need to email them and give the product ID of the item you want. They will email you the weight and you will look at their shipping table. Pretty hassle lol

How about in HLJ? Don't they have that figure?

Hey guys,

I'm on DSL 25 in downtown Toronto. One thing that isn't so great is that you're beholden to the quality of your phone line and the DSLAM (or whatever they call the local routing hub) you're getting service from. In my case, I couldn't get the full 10mbps upload because my line wasn't quite up to spec, and I live in a 20-year-old condo. That said, I think my connection is more like 25/7, which is more than sufficient for the occasional Twitch streaming and online backup. Download speed is fantastic, never really notice any issues with time-of-day stuff (I know with cable there used to be a thing where during peak periods your speeds would drop, though I don't know if that's still true).

Another downside to DSL 25 is that when I got it, you had to use Bell's shitty Sagemcom modem, and I had some problems with mine so I had to go through two troubleshooting sessions. The first guy was very patient and helpful, and didn't give me "did you turn it off and then on again" crap once he understood I have some tech experience. He couldn't solve the problem but offered to replace the modem, which I tried to do after going away for vacation. I called back and the second guy I got was very curt, not all that pleasant, but managed to fix my situation in five minutes without having me return my modem. So, uh, Teksavvy tech support is hit and miss, I guess, but generally pretty decent.

All in all, I'm definitely glad I upgraded to DSL 25 and would recommend it to others, assuming you're okay with the minor caveats above. Teksavvy will tell you beforehand if you can't reach the full advertised speeds when they check your landline (though I don't know if they can do this with new installs if you're getting dry-loop).

ohlawd

woah, four whole people lol

You think that's bad? I don't even have a PS3! :O Waiting for Persona 5...patiently...

can't believe Sony and MS haven't dropped prices yet. Like, officially and not through a sale.

I don't have one yet, although I don't know if I can still be counted since I live in Japan now.

see, that's the kicker. I bought a PS3 mainly for Japanese games. They don't exist on the PS4 yet soo... yeah.

Nah, im waiting on that Destiny brah
and to get a call back from this job x_x

Would be sick having a standalone white PS4
and if it was 300 >_>

Maybe I'll buy one when Infamous Transistor Watch Dogs LBP3 comes out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just buy that on a PS3 :p

I'm on DSL 25 in downtown Toronto. One thing that isn't so great is that you're beholden to the quality of your phone line and the DSLAM (or whatever they call the local routing hub) you're getting service from. In my case, I couldn't get the full 10mbps upload because my line wasn't quite up to spec, and I live in a 20-year-old condo. That said, I think my connection is more like 25/7, which is more than sufficient for the occasional Twitch streaming and online backup. Download speed is fantastic, never really notice any issues with time-of-day stuff (I know with cable there used to be a thing where during peak periods your speeds would drop, though I don't know if that's still true).

Another downside to DSL 25 is that when I got it, you had to use Bell's shitty Sagemcom modem, and I had some problems with mine so I had to go through two troubleshooting sessions. The first guy was very patient and helpful, and didn't give me "did you turn it off and then on again" crap once he understood I have some tech experience. He couldn't solve the problem but offered to replace the modem, which I tried to do after going away for vacation. I called back and the second guy I got was very curt, not all that pleasant, but managed to fix my situation in five minutes without having me return my modem. So, uh, Teksavvy tech support is hit and miss, I guess, but generally pretty decent.

All in all, I'm definitely glad I upgraded to DSL 25 and would recommend it to others, assuming you're okay with the minor caveats above. Teksavvy will tell you beforehand if you can't reach the full advertised speeds when they check your landline (though I don't know if they can do this with new installs if you're getting dry-loop).

Thanks, sounds good then. I'll be sure to double check about the modem thing, maybe things are different now than they were when you did it.

Man, AmiAmi has a Neptunia figure I want, but they have some weird policies. Apparently you can't cancel orders and now you're saying you can't even find out the shipping price until you place the order? Does not make any sense to me.

Edit: Oh there are some price estimates at the bottom of the page:

And I thought I'm the only one bothered by their policy!

A 1/6 Figure will probably range anywhere from $15 all the way to $40 for EMS shipping I think (or $8.50-$25 for SAL unregistered). 1/6 is a pretty large scale, so a big deciding factor will be the box dimensions.

I had an order that had a D-Arts figure, a 1/7 Scale, and a RAH figure, and it was only 6,520 yen...

6520 yen for shipping isn't really a low price :D

You actually need to email them and give the product ID of the item you want. They will email you the weight and you will look at their shipping table. Pretty hassle lol

How about in HLJ? Don't they have that figure?

Thanks for pointing me out to that store, never had a look at it!

DaBoss

I'll buy a PS4 when it hits like $300-$250 and after a revision. I really don't like the initial cost of buying a console. There also isn't much games out so far that I can't play on the PC, but that should change by the end of next year.

Top Bottom