• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
I am a sucker for Uncharted so knowing me I'll probably get one whenever that's released. Thankfully not this year because I'm really not ready to drop 450 bucks on a console right now.

Ondore

I'll pick up a PS4 around the time of the next Olympics (summer, before anyone asks). By that time I won't be as POed at Sony for the price increase stunt, Final Fantasy XV will be a year away, and there should be a rev.

diaspora

I am a sucker for Uncharted so knowing me I'll probably get one whenever that's released. Thankfully not this year because I'm really not ready to drop 450 bucks on a console right now.

$450 for a console $70 games, and $50 for PS+ to play online is just too much for me, even without PS+. -_-

QaaQer

Recently I made myself broke to the point where I can barely afford cheap food for over a month by buying a PS4. I was worried I'd get terrible buyer's remorse... I did not. I say go for it hotshot!

reminds me of my last month of uni one year. I lived on ichiban. That gave me gout...should have went to the food bank.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't planning on making a decision between the two until later this year but that Amazon price error forced my hand.

Mr.Mike

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Take+Ontario+Alberta+accent+challenge/9797276/story.html

So after some googling about Canadian accents, inspired by the accent guessing thread in OT, I came across this quiz. I was able to get 100% the first time, even though I've never been to Alberta. The Ontario ones just sounded more familiar to me. The difference in the Canadian accent are subtle, and yet the Ontario snippets sounded so much more familiar. It's kinda weird.

Also, nobody in this country has ever actually pronounced "Prime Minister" as "Prime Minister", right?

Madness

holy shit I must be the only member of CanadaGAF to not have a PS4 yet.

Nah, I don't have PS4 yet either. I think a lot of my lower mainland friends don't have one either. Waiting on details about the Master Chief Collection myself. I don't even really want a new console, but I can't pass up the chance to play this, or any future Halo. Plus, most of my purchases are usually Halo, NHL, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, so I don't necessarily need the best console. Just something that can play most of the games I want.

krae_man

I decided to try emailing Best Buy again to get The Last of Us price corrected and was told no again.

Please be advised that in purchasing the item, you are getting a lower price with their original E3 promotional price of $49.99 from the new MSRP (manufacturer suggested retal price) of $54.99.

Please note that we cannot adjust the price.

Here is the disclaimer in E3:

Offer valid only at Futureshop.ca/BBY.ca on all pre-order games from June 6, 2014 to June 12, 2014.

Discounted amount above are based on games priced at $69.99. Games priced at $39.99 will give you in-cart SAVINGS of $5.72 or $11.43, and $49.99 games give you in-cart SAVINGS of $7.15 or $14.28. The discount will be applied to the lowest prices games first. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer cannot be applied to past purchases. Future promotions (SteelBooks, DLC, Gifts with Purchase, etc.) will not be retroactively added to your order. Quantities are limited. Sorry, no rainchecks. This offer is not valid on out-of-stock and sold out game

We can't adjust your price, read the disclaimer *disclaimer mentions nothing about MSRP changing* only no double discounting or steelbook offers etc.

Extra hilarious because those are the Futureshop terms and conditions not Best Buy :lol

iphys

There were Sony stores back then?

Not sure if it was always called that, but I believe so. I remember it continuously being the same spot where we bought the Betamax, where I kept going back to buy Betamax blank tapes and have the sales person ask me if I was sure I wasn't looking to buy VHS tapes instead of Beta every time, and then later getting a Sony stereo there, and it was definitely called the Sony store by the time we got the stereo.

I take it EB Canada isn't doing that Last of Us trade in deal?

They have a power trade towards Remastered Edition so it's not that bad! I traded my PS3 copy of TLoU for $26 a while ago!

Buying at launch was best

400 dollar console
Walmart had a year of PS+ for 17 dollars
Games were pre-ordered during E3 for 40 bucks

:p

Yup and if you got an extra console preordered you should have easily got $150+ in profit to subsidize your console purchase :D
I can't deny it wasn't a really hard time on my pocket!

They have a power trade towards Remastered Edition so it's not that bad! I traded my PS3 copy of TLoU for $26 a while ago!

Yup and if you got an extra console preordered you should have easily got $150+ in profit to subsidize your console purchase :D
I can't deny it wasn't a really hard time on my pocket!

Didn't resell one but had 290 on a gift card from trading in games for 30-40 a pop, paid 40 for most of them new initially

I miss FS trade in specials :-(

I contacted them and they offered me a 20% refund or a replacement. I took the partial refund.

i opted for the full refund. i just wanted the legacy pack to play peacewalker, so I can opt for the HD collection version, which is much cheaper.

Jinto

I picked up a PS4 at launch without really planning to. I haven't played it much, but haven't regretted the purchase at all. It was $50 cheaper, and the free trial convinced me to join PS Plus.

If you do plan on getting a PS4 in the future and already have PS Plus, hopefully you guys have been redeeming the "free" games like Resogun. At least you'll have them when you do decide to purchase one.

XBP

i opted for the full refund. i just wanted the legacy pack to play peacewalker, so I can opt for the HD collection version, which is much cheaper.

Makes sense. I need to replay MGS 2 and 3 plus play peace walker and 4. So 35$ seems about right for this.

Liberty4all

Banned
I too picked one up at launch. Sold all my 360 stuff in a rage when the DRM stuff was announced the summer before launch. T PS4 ended up only costing me about 250 or so ... I saved 50 bucks a month. It was great, felt like it cost almost nothing.

Now would i beable to use my one time trade in gift of $10 from my platinum card with that offer?

Not sure, you better check its terms to make sure it can be applied with other promos!
I used mine with an extra copy of Wii sports a while ago lol I just wanted to get what I paid for the platinum membership back, or part of it it's $15 actually!

khaaan

I got a bunch of e-mails this morning on back to school sales. Not much in terms of gaming (I think Infamous SS for $40 is the biggest one) but if you're in the market for a laptop there might be something.

krae_man

Okay so I herd back from Best Buy.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your order #302825641. On June 25th, 2014, my colleague Kristian had applied a credit of $10.50 to your order, specifically to the game The Last of Us. That discount marks the price down to $38.49.

I was confused because I seem to recall my previous attempt to get the price adjusted being denied. So I look back and on June 25th I received the following email:

As we strive to provide our customers with the lowest prices, we adjust all pre-orders to the lowest advertised price, between the time your order was placed and the release date, automatically when the order leaves our shipping facilities.

However, if you find a lower advertised price within 30 days of the date the item ships please contact us back with a copy of the advertised price and we would be happy to adjust the price in accordance with our Lowest Price Guarantee.

Does that sound like "We've adjusted your price"? To me that sounds like "If the price changes before release date, we will automatically give you the lower of your current price and it" not "If the MSRP of a game you preordered during the E3 sale goes down. We will automatically adjust it to the proper discount on that price"

The name of the CSR who replied to my June 25th email is not the same person who todays email said applied the discount. Are they adjusting prices automatically then?

I'm thoroughly confused.

@Wreck

I was confused because I seem to recall my previous attempt to get the price adjusted being denied. So I look back and on June 25th I received the following email:

Does that sound like "We've adjusted your price"? To me that sounds like "If the price changes before release date, we will automatically give you the lower of your current price and it" not "If the MSRP of a game you preordered during the E3 sale goes down. We will automatically adjust it to the proper discount on that price"

The name of the CSR who replied to my June 25th email is not the same person who todays email said applied the discount. Are they adjusting prices automatically then?

I'm thoroughly confused.

i just wrote them this morning

hopefully i'll get a response before the order date

kaiyo

Not sure if it was always called that, but I believe so. I remember it continuously being the same spot where we bought the Betamax, where I kept going back to buy Betamax blank tapes and have the sales person ask me if I was sure I wasn't looking to buy VHS tapes instead of Beta every time, and then later getting a Sony stereo there, and it was definitely called the Sony store by the time we got the stereo.
Sony stores used to be called Sony Style, until several years ago.

iLLmAtlc

I'm thoroughly confused.

Sounds like they would adjust it when item ships and if not you can ask them to within 30 days.

Not uncommon for CSR to give different responses I think

CRA5H

I think it's BS that they are still only taking 30% off the non-existent $69.99 price mark rather than the actual $54.99 for TLOU PS4. Having to contact them to get this adjusted, and not even guaranteed, is such a hassle especially if it isn't even successful to begin with.

Meh - I'm not going to bother to push BB on this for TLOU. I'm still getting it for under MSRP. No offense and I don't know about any one else's time but mine is certainly worth more than 10 bucks.

@Wreck

i just wrote them this morning

hopefully i'll get a response before the order date

booo

heard back

--------

Thank you for your email regarding order # XXXXXX.

As we strive to provide our customers with the lowest prices we adjust all pre-orders to the lowest advertised price, between the time your order was placed and the release date, automatically when the order leaves our shipping facilities.

Should you find a lower advertised price within 30 days of the date the item ships please contact us back with a copy of the advertised price and we would be happy to adjust the price in accordance with our Price Beat Promise.

Thank you for choosing Futureshop.ca!

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Futureshop.ca

krae_man

booo

heard back

--------

Thank you for your email regarding order # XXXXXX.

As we strive to provide our customers with the lowest prices we adjust all pre-orders to the lowest advertised price, between the time your order was placed and the release date, automatically when the order leaves our shipping facilities.

Should you find a lower advertised price within 30 days of the date the item ships please contact us back with a copy of the advertised price and we would be happy to adjust the price in accordance with our Price Beat Promise.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Futureshop.ca

Try emailing back saying that is unacceptable. Include things like "I was promosed 30% off preorders if I preordered 3 or more games. I am not getting 30% off anymore"

"I know for a fact you have cancelled some preorders that were priced too low by mistake. You can't have it both ways. It's not fair that you cancel price mistakes in the customers favor but turn around and refuse to correct price mistakes in your favor"

Those are what I used.

@Wreck

Try emailing back saying that is unacceptable. Include things like "I was promosed 30% off preorders if I preordered 3 or more games. I am not getting 30% off anymore"

"I know for a fact you have cancelled some preorders that were priced too low by mistake. You can't have it both ways. It's not fair that you cancel price mistakes in the customers favor but turn around and refuse to correct price mistakes in your favor"

Those are what I used.

i'll try that

thanks

with futureshop its buy min 3 get $20 off each

Those are what I used.

I should have used these for Donkey Kong and Wind Walker HD. It looks like Captain Toad is going to be a $40 title, which I am sure many expected. I will have to complain because I am not paying full price because of them listing everything at generic prices.

spyguy

I should have used these for Donkey Kong and Wind Walker HD. It looks like Captain Toad is going to be a $40 title, which I am sure many expected. I will have to complain because I am not paying full price because of them listing everything at generic prices.

Yah, I preordered Captain Toad from Future Shop during the E3 sale and it was 64.99 then. Hopefully they will it adjust it to 44.99 and then apply the discount, but I'm not that optimistic.

aechris

Not really a "deal" I guess, but I was surprised to see Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for Wii U is permanently $19.99 now. I was thinking of picking it up based off a friend's recommendation and when I saw that sweet $20 it was a sure-thing.

Oneself

Yah, I preordered Captain Toad from Future Shop during the E3 sale and it was 64.99 then. Hopefully they will it adjust it to 44.99 and then apply the discount, but I'm not that optimistic.

They sure won't. I had a fight with them over Metro Redux & TLOU and I finally gave up. Too much time wasted, I'll get them at Target and get my FS order refunded.

zroid

Banned
Captain Toad likely being $40 (or $45) is precisely why I pre-ordered it from Amazon. Knew this would happen. Still not getting the full 30% off, but at least it's something. Will end up getting a $9 discount on whatever MSRP is.

@Wreck

i'm just going to call them

its like they did not know about the futureshop e3 deal

i feel like they are dense but i don't want to be cruel

-------------------

Dear @Wreck,

Upon review of order #xxxxxx, there are no notes stating a credit of $20. If you could kindly forward the correspondence stating we would honor $20 off this order and we would be happy to investigate further for you.

Sincerely,

Tricia
Futureshop.ca

krae_man

You wouldn't get $20 off anyway. Games that were less then $69.99 didn't get $20 off, they got a discount equal to the same %off $20 off $70 is(28.6%).

Sealtest

Not sure, you better check its terms to make sure it can be applied with other promos!
I used mine with an extra copy of Wii sports a while ago lol I just wanted to get what I paid for the platinum membership back, or part of it it's $15 actually!
Yup I was able 2 use my $10 code. Traded in my double of pokemon soul silver and TLOU ps3 and was able 2 get my copy paid off. Thanks 4 letting me know about that deal.

Megasoum

Banned
FYI guys.... Target is selling Forza Motorsport 5 for 20$ and Future Shop is giving 30$ for it...

Not sure how much FS is giving for Ryse and Dead Rising but they are also available for 20$ at Target.

terrible

Banned

I'm thoroughly confused.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this. I just emailed them now. I hope they can do it for me.

It really didn't sound like they were updating the pricing for you at ALL in that first response lol.

Yup I was able 2 use my $10 code. Traded in my double of pokemon soul silver and TLOU ps3 and was able 2 get my copy paid off. Thanks 4 letting me know about that deal.

Depending on the condition/completeness, you could've sold it for $40+ and paid for TLOU Remastered by itself.

Top Bottom