• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

jet1911

Just got the shipment notification from FS for my Second Son preorder. I usually get games a day early from them so I'm super stoked to get it tomorrow in time for Nowruz :D

Same here. Pretty sure I won't get it friday though. Canada Post is way too slow for that :(

isny

napkin dispenser
Hmm, Frozen $21.97 at WalMart on Blu and $25 at BB/FS. Definitely make sure you PM if you're picking either up.

Palehorse

I wandered in to FS yesterday and while browsing I picked up the display Vita. I've largely ignored the console so far for the normal reasons: No killer app, dismal outlook for game support, etc. But I've also heard it's a pretty sweet little piece of technology.

I also remember reading that the remote play off of PS4 was an impressive feature. Something I could make use of....

So my questions are, of course, anyone seen any deals for Vitas recently?

Vita owners, what are the must-have games for the system? Does anyone use Remote Play? Like it, hate it? What is the outlook for the system, is it dead, is it undead, on its way out? Is it more useful as a PSP/PS1 system?

I haven't made up my mind to get a Vita yet, so I'm going to base that on what answers I get here on how smart it would be to jump on board now.

Handheld game-wise I like RPGs, turn-based strategy, action, adventure...

Edit: Forgot to mention that memory card prices was the other reason I held off on purchasing. Is that still ridiculous? I may hold off on a purchase on that alone....

Edit 2: I also did a search for Vita threads and couldn't find any, so if this would be better asked (apart from the deal question) in another thread I'd appreciate the pointer...and if there really isnt' another thread that might answer my purchase question.

frequency

Blerp, I wonder if something happened to my mail man because he didn't show up today either. My packages are listed to have been "out for delivery" since yesterday.

Not much you can really do in that case anyway.

My Yoshi's New Island shipment has been "Out for Delivery" for two days too.

Sora_N

I wandered in to FS yesterday and while browsing I picked up the display Vita. I've largely ignored the console so far for the normal reasons: No killer app, dismal outlook for game support, etc. But I've also heard it's a pretty sweet little piece of technology.

I also remember reading that the remote play off of PS4 was an impressive feature. Something I could make use of....

Vita owners, what are the must-have games for the system? Does anyone use Remote Play? Like it, hate it? What is the outlook for the system, is it dead, is it undead, on its way out? Is it more useful as a PSP/PS1 system?

I haven't made up my mind to get a Vita yet, so I'm going to base that on what answers I get here on how smart it would be to jump on board now.

Edit: Forgot to mention that memory card prices was the other reason I held off on purchasing. Is that still ridiculous? I may hold off on a purchase on that alone....

Edit 2: I also did a search for Vita threads and couldn't find any, so if this would be better asked (apart from the deal question) in another thread I'd appreciate the pointer...and if there really isnt' another thread that might answer my purchase question.

Don't think there's been deals and there's low stock around my area in general.

My favourite games so far:
  1. Persona 4 Golden
  2. Killzone Mercenary
  3. Tearaway

I can also recommend: Dragon's Crown, Gravity Rush, FFX/2 HD depending on what you're looking for.

You can also consider Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden for action games.

Yeah memory cards are expensive, my friends got me a 16gb for my birthday. I used a 4gb until then. Don't do that, you should at least buy 8gb. If you'll be buying more digital games you should really have at least 16gb. I like to buy retail so 16 works decent for me.

I think the Vita is a great machine, the sleep anytime function has helped me a lot. If I'm too busy or something comes up I can pause any game, even jRPGs, and continue in 1-2 days. It basically lets me save anywhere.

Palehorse

I've got a line on a used Vita for $150 that comes with PS All Stars and a 32GB card. I don't know what shape it's in or how old it is, but that price seems decent, yes?

DaBoss

I've got a line on a used Vita for $150 that comes with PS All Stars and a 32GB card. I don't know what shape it's in or how old it is, but that price seems decent, yes?
That's a great deal assuming the Vita is in good shape with a little bit of scratches or something. A 32GB memory card would be $80 at retail. You should definitely go for it.

ohlawd

lol the PSN thread is a massive Vita circlejerk :p
then again, what megathread isn't a circlejerk.

Get Persona 4 Golden and Ys: Memories of Celceta right away. Memory card prices are still ridiculous and I haven't seen any deals in Canada for them. Not for the good one anyway AKA the 32 gig. I can't do Remote Play so I can't comment.

If you didn't own a PSP, you're in for a treat with RPGs. PSP has a shitload but some of my favorites aren't up on the store (Jeanne d'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, etc)

Amazon has yet to charge for my copy of Yoshis New Island or FF X/X-2 HD Vita, what the fuck. It will be a week since release for Yoshi and FF came out yesterday. FUUUU

Jeanne d'Arc is on the store isn't it?

EDIT: Yeah it is but not available for Vita lol.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...'arc/cid=UP9000-UCUS98700_00-JEANNEDARC000000

Googled quick and it looks like you can transfer from PS3, not 100% sure though.

You can transfer it.

Just got the shipment notification from FS for my Second Son preorder. I usually get games a day early from them so I'm super stoked to get it tomorrow in time for Nowruz :D

Mine was shipped yesterday but I still don't expect to receive it Friday. All the other FS pre-orders have arrived a day late and Canada Post's estimate is Monday... I hate Friday releases so much.

Sora_N

Amazon has yet to charge for my copy of Yoshis New Island or FF X/X-2 HD Vita, what the fuck. It will be a week since release for Yoshi and FF came out yesterday. FUUUU

I went to Best buy AND Futureshop yesterday, no FFX/2 for Vita. SOLD OUT. FS site hasn't charged me for my copy either, because also sold out.

So lame.

Gxgear

Ordered the last copy of Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God on amazon from VGP on a whim. Was planning to get it digitally to fill out the $60 promo but $35 for digital was a bit much.

I just got the shipment notification from Amazon for my GZ for PS4! Pumped, but it's coming from a warehouse in BC so it's going to be a few days till I get to play.

That PSN promo ended yesterday.

What? For some reason I thought the promo doesn't end till the 24th. That's not smart Sony. It is another incentive for people to go digital, especially with Infamous coming out this week.

I just got the shipment notification from Amazon for my GZ for PS4! Pumped, but it's coming from a warehouse in BC so it's going to be a few days till I get to play.

Now that's a late shipment for a game that is supposed to be shipper at least 48 hours ago.

iLLmAtlc

we should organize a gaf revolt of amazon.ca, intentionally shipping from a warehouse farther than to you to market amazon prime? that's bush as hell.

why are you guys ordering from amazon.ca still anyway? FS has been pretty much been money for release day delivery in recent years.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What? For some reason I thought the promo doesn't end till the 24th. That's not smart Sony. It is another incentive for people to go digital, especially with Infamous coming out this week.
It was March 11-18. $10 codes are supposed to be sent out by the 24th at the latest and they expire on the 31st. The code expires on that date but once redeemed the $10 in your SEN wallet doesn't expire.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
why are you guys ordering from amazon.ca still anyway? FS has been pretty much been money for release day delivery in recent years.

I mainly use Amazon for older games at cheap prices. Futureshop don't stock every "niche" game, and they're pretty poor when it comes to older games.

It was March 11-18. $10 codes are supposed to be sent out by the 24th at the latest and they expire on the 31st. The code expires on that date but once redeemed the $10 in your SEN wallet doesn't expire.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, anything we buy on PSN don't get charged tax? Is that for any province or specific to a particular province?

It'll probably take them a couple weeks to do such a complicated process!

That's what I thought, after hearing the customer service horror stories. But I called as soon as I got to work this morning, only waited on hold for about 5 minutes and after I explained what happened the guy talked to his manager and they were able to charge my card now instead of waiting until Thursday or Friday and possibly have it declined. Apparently, the charge went through even though the card was cancelled, possible because it was pre-authorized before, he thought?
I'll believe it when I see the game, but if it was actually that easy then I have nothing bad to say about Shop.ca support!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
guess I have to look for PSP games on my PS3 then. Wonder why some of these games aren't on the Vita store?
I just assume that Sony stopped giving a crap about PSP games and updating the service to let them play on Vita.

Hey guys remember when Amazon.ca had a $10-off-40 coupon?
I used that so much. RIP Visaperks.

Got it from Cineplex for $25 with 1100 scene points :)
I just got my copy from Futureshop... it comes with an artbook. I might as well get the Target version since it's cheaper and has extras. lol

I just got my copy from Futureshop... it comes with an artbook. I might as well get the Target version since it's cheaper and has extras. lol

I just looked at my copy from Bestbuy and it looks like it has a blurb about deleted scenes too. Also said "Collectors Edition"... can anyone clarify if the deleted scenes extra are from Target only?

Now that's a late shipment for a game that is supposed to be shipper at least 48 hours ago.

What makes it worse, is that I had it pre ordered way back from when it was listed for $45...

we should organize a gaf revolt of amazon.ca, intentionally shipping from a warehouse farther than to you to market amazon prime? that's bush as hell.

Yeah I don't know why I do anymore. I usually just pre order things on there out of habit, and forget about them till around the release date.

What makes it worse, is that I had it pre ordered way back from when it was listed for $45...

Yeah I don't know why I do anymore. I usually just pre order things on there out of habit, and forget about them till around the release date.

I usually just use amazon.ca to price match with Bestbuy and Futureshop myself nowadays.... Though, to be honest. Why would anyone buy games from Amazon.ca if they want it released near release day? I've never had a game I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca come "on time" even before Prime was a thing here. If I wanted something to come on the day it's released, I pre-order it from ebgames...

I hope you didn't get charged $45.

I usually just use amazon.ca to price match with Bestbuy and Futureshop myself nowadays.... Though, to be honest. Why would anyone buy games from Amazon.ca if they want it released near release day? I've never had a game I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca come "on time" even before Prime was a thing here. If I wanted something to come on the day it's released, I pre-order it from ebgames...

Are you talking about EB Games in store or online? In store, no matter which retailer you pre-order you always get it on the launch day. Online pre-orders are where things are messed up.

I hope you didn't get charged $45.

Are you talking about EB Games in store or online? In store, no matter which retailer you pre-order you always get it on the launch day. Online pre-orders are where things are messed up.

I think that he is talking about online. EB Games is the only retailer who never failed to deliver me games on day 1.

Yep my vita FFX has been "un-cancelable" since Sunday morning ("shipping soon"), yet it STILL hasn't shipped yet! I don't understand the delay.

I think that he is talking about online. EB Games is the only retailer who never failed to deliver me games on day 1.

I agree EB are the most competent video game store and they usually have the best exclusive bonuses around but their pricing is usually the worst and my biggest problem with them is shipping with Purolator, worst courier I ever deal with along with UPS!

For example Purolator have a BBQ I bought from Walmart.ca and their freaking driver doesn't wanna deliver it apparently because it's heavy, they sent it out for delivery twice now and each time he would update the tracking as need to reschedule because he couldn't deliver then they ask me to pick it up from the depot, had to call twice to ask for delivery and hopefully they can force him to do it! It's 104 pounds so there is no effing way I'm going to pick it up myself lol

Learned that the hard way, as I still wait for ffx vita to even ship :(.

I just cancelled all remaining preorders for this year and switching over to costco or BB.

Went to The markville toysrus to price match donkey kong tropical freeze with videogamesplus.ca

First the guy tells me that they don't price match with online stores

I ask again and go to the price match section of the site and he changes his mind

Then I show him the videogamesplus.ca site and he calls another dude

The other dude is like "sorry bro, we only price match with real stores like best buy and future shop"

-_-

Went to The markville toysrus to price match donkey kong tropical freeze with videogamesplus.ca

I ask again and go to the price match section of the site and he changes his mind

The other dude is like "sorry bro, we only price match with real stores like best buy and future shop"

-_-

Try again. I know it should work.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/help/our-price-beat-promise/hc80.aspx?path=b9acce294d434ba974f770c9a62acb04en06&HelpCategoryId=Policies&CategoryName=Policies&ReferringPageTitle=Help%20Category%20List

The item must be sold by an authorized dealer located in Canada. For online competitor price beats the product must be located in Canada.

That's what outlined on their website and you should be able to price match from any Canadian online site. Call for the manager if the rep still disagrees with you or If you don't want to make a fuss, try doing it at another store.

jet1911

-_-

They served the same shit last time I tried to price match a LEGO set there. If it's not a "local" store they won't price match.

Try again. I know it should work.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/help/our-price-beat-promise/hc80.aspx?path=b9acce294d434ba974f770c9a62acb04en06&HelpCategoryId=Policies&CategoryName=Policies&ReferringPageTitle=Help%20Category%20List

That's what outlined on their website and you should be able to price match from any Canadian online site. Call for the manager if the rep still disagrees with you or If you don't want to make a fuss, try doing it at another store.

I used VGP at Future Shop yesterday for GZ so this should be fine, they didn't bother to ask for shipping costs.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

-_-
You're in Toronto, VGP is a real store at Downsview Plaza (Keele and Wilson). There's also one in Mississauga at Central Parkway Mall (Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway).

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/locations.php

Quick

Banned
So, are PS4s still hard to find in stores, or am I not looking at the right places? I keep calling my local EB and they keep telling me that they might have a small amount in x amount of days, but end up not getting any. Best Buy and Future Shop are always out, too.

So, are PS4s still hard to find in stores, or am I not looking at the right places? I keep calling my local EB and they keep telling me that they might have a small amount in x amount of days, but end up not getting any. Best Buy and Future Shop are always out, too.

I was returning something at FS and the CS rep was talking to someone on the phone regarding the ps4. Said they don't have any, don't know when they're getting more, can't reserve. I don't think Sony has sent any to Canada since February because of the Japanese launch.

Also, if you're interested in saving $50 Toys R Us has it still priced $399 online but no stock.

Palehorse

So I grabbed the Vita for $150. It's in really good shape, no sign of wear at all. I'm currently downloading a few PSN plus freebies.

It's got the 32gb as advertised which seems to be the go-to for having enough space for downloads.

Turns out the guy selling it (older guy, maybe 50s) had found it in a walmart parking lot a year ago. He put up ads for a month to return it and then threw it in his closet. He is now moving and found the Vita so he put it up for sale. I think I got a steal. It's the 3G model.

It has a case and the charger as well. Can't complain.

Quick

Banned
I was returning something at FS and the CS rep was talking to someone on the phone regarding the ps4. Said they don't have any, don't know when they're getting more, can't reserve. I don't think Sony has sent any to Canada since February because of the Japanese launch.

Also, if you're interested in saving $50 Toys R Us has it still priced $399 online but no stock.

Spoke to an FS manager about it (thought I'd try my luck while I was already there). He just laughed and said "nope".

They'll probably raise the price the moment they get stock or something.

i-Jest

No Vita deals as far as I know. When they do happen you get pretty good deals especially where cross buy is concerned. If you don't know, cross buy is when you buy more than one version of the same game. Your essentially buying 2 (PS3/VITA) or 3 (PS3/4/Vita) games for the price of one. Combine that with PS+ discounts during a sale and you get a an incredible value. I haven't used remote play. Haven't had a reason to. Not even curious about the feature. I have the the following games:

Gravity Rush
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extended
TxK
Malicious Rebirth
Velocity (PS Mini)
Velocity Ultra
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Flow
Flower
Guacamelee
Unit 13

I wouldn't say the Vita is dead. It's gotten a more support from Sony but you can tell where they clearly place their emphasis. It's becoming quite the J/RPG machine though. I've noticed more and more niche titles find there way to it. Even indie titles are making they're presence know. I don't have any PS1/2 classics in my Vita so I can't comment about it being a good PS1/2 replacement. I am hoping to see Freedom Wars make its way to North America. I Honestly doubt Monster Hunter games will come to console anytime soon. Sony dropped the ball with that.

Memory cards are a little pricy but think of it as an investment. When you have a Vita, no 4GB card will do. You need at least a 16GB card. For the long run your going to need a bigger card. The 32GB or 64 GB cards are the way to go. I find I had to download most of my games and will most likely continue to do so in the future. I'll get a physical copy when possible but most games I've got I had to download. I know we have a playstation plus thread. I don't frequent the thread to often but I'm sure they talk about Vita related content.

Some vita threads: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775790&highlight=vita
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777335&highlight=vita
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787421&highlight=vita
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511

Top Bottom