• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Fine folks of Winnipeg GAF,

I just got a 3DS XL and I've been trying to get into all the StreetPass fun, but I very rarely have any luck (I think three in total, so far). So, I was wondering if you could share with me the places in the city that you have had the most luck with StreetPass.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

(Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this. If it should go elsewhere, please let me know.)

MesH

we should organize a gaf revolt of amazon.ca, intentionally shipping from a warehouse farther than to you to market amazon prime? that's bush as hell.

why are you guys ordering from amazon.ca still anyway? FS has been pretty much been money for release day delivery in recent years.

I still get things quicker from Amazon.ca, with free shipping I get average 2-4 days. not a single thing I have ordered from Futureshop has showed up here in less than a week. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, have any of you all used Comwave for phone or internet? Just wondering what your experiences are or what you have heard. Want to move away from Rogers and looking for alternatives.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey peeps,

Where in Toronto can I buy cheap games? Also, is there a place that sells older stuff like GBC or DS games as well? Or even retro consoles.

Thanks!

Hey peeps,

Where in Toronto can I buy cheap games? Also, is there a place that sells older stuff like GBC or DS games as well? Or even retro consoles.

Thanks!

For retro stuff you can check Kijiji, many people are clearing their basements and selling good lots for good prices.

I think maybe try A&C games here is the site http://www.acgamesonline.com/home/

I love A&C Games - every time I'm in Toronto (once or twice a year) I walk there from my hotel and blow a couple hundred dollars - but they are not "cheap"...

The truth is, there's no business success in selling "cheap" retro video games; the shops have to sell them for market value. Any retro brick and mortar (and they're few enough to begin with) that will sell you a game for $30 when they can get $70 for it on Ebay isn't going to be in business very long, and their stock will be reduced to old sports titles and "imagine babies" games for months before the doors finally close.

On a side note for Ottawa GAF or anyone visiting the Ottawa area, I drifted down to The Blue Gryphon in Gatineau last weekend and it's a retro gamer's dream shop... They've actually got games from pretty much every system released in NA - well, I didn't see any Neo Geo, but other than that I think you're good - and lots of retro systems to boot. I picked up a GBA copy of Yggdra Union with box and manual and the MGS Twin Snakes Brady Strategy Guide, but I saw all kinds of goodies there. Some highlights included: Sega Saturns, and a number of Saturn games, including Japanese Symphony of the Night and Dragon Force, a TurboExpress with TV tuner, an original Game Boy with complete packaging and accessories, a mint/new/unopenned copy of Metal Slug for the NGPC, etc. Lots of stock... It's a one-man shop with a couple rooms on the retail first floor area of a walk-up, and it's a little off the beaten track, but it's worth a visit if you love old video games. He buys stuff too, and his purchase prices for retro stuff seem fair. Check the store out if you're interested and vote with your wallet to help keep a unique local enterprise afloat... Note that the website's out of date, so don't trust what you see there; call if you're looking for a specific game.

Vinc

I hope my Infamous order from FS ships soon, I NEED it on release day. It's been charged on Monday but still hasn't shipped :(

Housh

My FS copy of Second Son is out on delivery. I'm lucky that I always get FS orders a day early. I think it's because I'm close to the GTA.

I just got a 3DS XL and I've been trying to get into all the StreetPass fun, but I very rarely have any luck (I think three in total, so far). So, I was wondering if you could share with me the places in the city that you have had the most luck with StreetPass.

(Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this. If it should go elsewhere, please let me know.)

I ride the bus everyday so I sometimes bring it with me. I usually get 1 or 2 everyday. I've brought it with me to malls and such when I go shopping but usually don't get any.

Housh

You're the only one. Perhaps FS thought it will get to you 1 day later but you actually get it earlier.
I have been getting games a day early from them for years now. Ever since the Tsilon discount code days. I have no idea why. Not complaining :D

MarkusRJR

Unless you go to a university or have to walk down a residential area, you aren't going to be getting any StreetPasses.

Honestly maybe if you go to one of those Mcdonald's Nintendo Zone StreetPass stations you might get a single one. Honestly though, when I carried it around wherever I went I got a single StreetPass a week. Winnipeg just sucks (not just in regards to StreetPass either).

farisr

I have been getting games a day early from them for years now. Ever since the Tsilon discount code days. I have no idea why. Not complaining :D

You're probably just outside of what they consider the "1-day zone." Hence they ship it out to you a day early, but are close enough that the delivery service can actually get it to you the next day after it's been shipped.

Us poor 1-day zoners get left in the cold a lot of the time, because FS think that shipping out on release day will get you the game on release day, when really they should be shipping out the game the evening before.

But anyways, thankfully the switch trick works, and there is a FS near me. I can enjoy the low preorder price and getting the game on release day.

Zing

Banned

Do you have any board game, comic, or CCG shops where people gather to play? The one I frequent in Toronto maxes out my streetpass in just one visit.

LakeEarth

I ordered Infamous from The Source cause they were the only ones still charging $60, and had it delivery set to "in-store". The idea was, they're going to get a shipment of them for Friday, so they should have my copy as well. If not, there's still a shot I'll get it Saturday.

I hope my attempt to save a few bucks makes me miss playing it this weekend.

The last two weeks my Amazon orders have been late arriving even with prime express free 2 day shipping (4+ business days on two seperate orders). Has anyone else been experiencing this or gotten anything out of complaining about it? It's a little annoying considering it's a premium service, makes me wonder if they are slowing their shipments for no charge shipping options like many are speculating they do with their super saver shipping.

BadHand

That did cross my mind, but, they ship really close to me and are always sent by expedited mail. Sometimes I get it a day early. I'll be happy as long as I get it by tomorrow.

Battlefield 4 for the PS4 for example was shipped at 5pm on the 13th Nov and I received it 11am on the 14th. (couldn't play it until the 15th! but still...)

So I grabbed the Vita for $150. It's in really good shape, no sign of wear at all. I'm currently downloading a few PSN plus freebies.

It's got the 32gb as advertised which seems to be the go-to for having enough space for downloads.

Turns out the guy selling it (older guy, maybe 50s) had found it in a walmart parking lot a year ago. He put up ads for a month to return it and then threw it in his closet. He is now moving and found the Vita so he put it up for sale. I think I got a steal. It's the 3G model.

It has a case and the charger as well. Can't complain.

Wait, the guy who sold it to you, found the Vita with a 32GB memory card in a Walmart parking lot?

WTF?

Hey peeps,

Thanks!

For retro stuff you can check Kijiji, many people are clearing their basements and selling good lots for good prices.

Pretty much kijiji for everything.

Is it worth buying a PS4 from Amazon.com, or should I wait it out for more stock locally?

That really depends, are you planning to ship it to Canada? Then it is a big no. You will get charged customs too and add to that the conversion, it isn't worth it.

If you are just going to the States and picking it up from there, then yeah sure, you save money and more importantly, you will find one there.

On another note, I don't think Amazon.com ships consoles to Canada. If they do, I know that the prices went up by $50 in Canada, so even if you ship it directly from Amazon, you might end up saving money. I'm not really sure how much it is, so might as well check it out, do a manual conversion yourself.

Quick

Banned
That really depends, are you planning to ship it to Canada? Then it is a big no. You will get charged customs too and add to that the conversion, it isn't worth it.

If you are just going to the States and picking it up from there, then yeah sure, you save money and more importantly, you will find one there.

On another note, I don't think Amazon.com ships consoles to Canada. If they do, I know that the prices went up by $50 in Canada, so even if you ship it directly from Amazon, you might end up saving money. I'm not really sure how much it is, so might as well check it out, do a manual conversion yourself.

Thanks. I figured it would be a huge chunk off my wallet going that route. Just needed confirmation on it.

FrsDvl

If anyone here wants to rent games. Irentmygames.ca is awesome! Takes them 4 days to get a game to me in Edmonton, and 4 days to send it back to Montreal. They send out infamous ss today! Signed up a week and a half ago, and i think it was well worth it.

And no i dont work there and im not intending to advertise, just want to share this cause its awesome, and sure as heck beats paying 70$

Palehorse

Wait, the guy who sold it to you, found the Vita with a 32GB memory card in a Walmart parking lot?

WTF?

I know - Odd, right? The guy lived in a nice house in an older person community(Sidney for VictoriaGAF) so he seemed on the up and up.

I feel a bit bad for the guy who lost the Vita at Walmart, it is in cherry shape and dat 32GB...

If anyone here wants to rent games. Irentmygames.ca is awesome! Takes them 4 days to get a game to me in Edmonton, and 4 days to send it back to Montreal. They send out infamous ss today! Signed up a week and a half ago, and i think it was well worth it.

And no i dont work there and im not intending to advertise, just want to share this cause its awesome, and sure as heck beats paying 70$

This isn't RFD. You don't have to explain yourself. However, there are people like me who ordered from the E3 deals and getting it for $40. Either way, game is worth more than just a rental.

XOMTOR

Don't know if it's worth anything to anyone but the Superstore flyer has Infamous:SS listed for $59.99. Guess they didn't get the memo to raise the price.

krae_man

Hey guys, have any of you all used Comwave for phone or internet? Just wondering what your experiences are or what you have heard. Want to move away from Rogers and looking for alternatives.

Never used them before but as an option, check out Teksavvy. They might be cheaper depending on your home phone calling needs.

Try again. I know it should work.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/help/our-price-beat-promise/hc80.aspx?path=b9acce294d434ba974f770c9a62acb04en06&HelpCategoryId=Policies&CategoryName=Policies&ReferringPageTitle=Help%20Category%20List

That's what outlined on their website and you should be able to price match from any Canadian online site. Call for the manager if the rep still disagrees with you or If you don't want to make a fuss, try doing it at another store.

They served the same shit last time I tried to price match a LEGO set there. If it's not a "local" store they won't price match.

You're in Toronto, VGP is a real store at Downsview Plaza (Keele and Wilson). There's also one in Mississauga at Central Parkway Mall (Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway).

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/locations.php
Yeah I tried again at the one by eglinton town Centre. Managed to snag it. :D

Vibranium

Banned
Don't know if it's worth anything to anyone but the Superstore flyer has Infamous:SS listed for $59.99. Guess they didn't get the memo to raise the price.

Good, let's keep it that way. I hope SS ignores Sony and the crappy hikes. We need more companies that have the guts to do this. It's nice to have a few online stores, but some retail ones would make it easier because of no shipping.

Sajjaja

Never used them before but as an option, check out Teksavvy. They might be cheaper depending on your home phone calling needs.
I forgot Teksavvy offered home phone as well. Have them for my internet but been looking to bundle up as my family has cable, and both home and cell phone plans with Rogers.

shop.ca still hasn't charged or shipped my Infamous order.

Anyone else order from them?
Shop.ca Infamous Second Son preorder status : Supplier Processing

Seems unlikely I'll get it this week.

:(

Shipping Status usually flips over at night. Also, sometimes the supplier doesn't flip the ship status until day of (which means you wouldn't get the ship notice till Saturday). So there are cases where you'll get the item before you even get the shipping notice. Something we need to make better for sure. Unless you ordered today, Infamous should be in transit tomorrow, and if you're in the GTA, you should potentially get it tomorrow.

edit: actually just talked to a few folks and ship notice does goes out immediately now, but the supplier still has to tell us it's shipped before we can send the notice.

That's what I thought, after hearing the customer service horror stories. But I called as soon as I got to work this morning, only waited on hold for about 5 minutes and after I explained what happened the guy talked to his manager and they were able to charge my card now instead of waiting until Thursday or Friday and possibly have it declined. Apparently, the charge went through even though the card was cancelled, possible because it was pre-authorized before, he thought?
I'll believe it when I see the game, but if it was actually that easy then I have nothing bad to say about Shop.ca support!
Awesome! Great example of how our support has gotten much better since the PayPal/Q4 craziness we had here. And we're actively hiring even more folks over the next few months.

suikodan

Anyone in Quebec pre-ordered FFX HD back in June 2013?

As far as I can remember, our orders were supposed to be upgraded to the LE since we pre-ordered early.

However, I did receive the regular edition today and I wondered if anyone else received the LE in Quebec.

TimeKillr

Anyone in Quebec pre-ordered FFX HD back in June 2013?

As far as I can remember, our orders were supposed to be upgraded to the LE since we pre-ordered early.

However, I did receive the regular edition today and I wondered if anyone else received the LE in Quebec.

I got the LE from Futureshop and I live in Quebec. I don't know what's wrong!

Do you have any board game, comic, or CCG shops where people gather to play? The one I frequent in Toronto maxes out my streetpass in just one visit.

I'm think there is a comic/collectibles store near my place, actually. I never thought to take a walk down there. Thanks!

I ride the bus everyday so I sometimes bring it with me. I usually get 1 or 2 everyday. I've brought it with me to malls and such when I go shopping but usually don't get any.

Yeah, I brought it to the mall once and didn't get a thing. I'll have to try bringing it along whenever I ride the bus (which isn't very often). I would imagine that stopping into any EB Games should bring up at least a couple!

Unless you go to a university or have to walk down a residential area, you aren't going to be getting any StreetPasses.

Honestly maybe if you go to one of those Mcdonald's Nintendo Zone StreetPass stations you might get a single one. Honestly though, when I carried it around wherever I went I got a single StreetPass a week. Winnipeg just sucks (not just in regards to StreetPass either).

I live very close to the U of W, so maybe I'll take a walk down there and see how successful I am. Are there specific McDonald's that have a Nintendo Zone? I've never heard of this before.

Are there specific McDonald's that have a Nintendo Zone? I've never heard of this before.

There must be one at the McDonald's in Walmart Kenasom Commons. I was at that walmart with my 3DS on the day they opened the zone to worldwide street passes and I got like 10 passes from people all around the world. That was the only McDonald's I was near that day.

Top Bottom