• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

There must be one at the McDonald's in Walmart Kenasom Commons. I was at that walmart with my 3DS on the day they opened the zone to worldwide street passes and I got like 10 passes from people all around the world. That was the only McDonald's I was near that day.

Wow, that's great! That seems to be the Wal-Mart that the girlfriend and I visit most often, so I'll definitely make sure to bring the 3DS the next time we go. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Jagxyz

shop.ca still hasn't charged or shipped my Infamous order.

Anyone else order from them?

Same here.

Shipping Status usually flips over at night. Also, sometimes the supplier doesn't flip the ship status until day of (which means you wouldn't get the ship notice till Saturday). So there are cases where you'll get the item before you even get the shipping notice. Something we need to make better for sure. Unless you ordered today, Infamous should be in transit tomorrow, and if you're in the GTA, you should potentially get it tomorrow.

edit: actually just talked to a few folks and ship notice does goes out immediately now, but the supplier still has to tell us it's shipped before we can send the notice.

Hope you're right! I live in the gta and ordered a month ago.

krae_man

Wow, that's great! That seems to be the Wal-Mart that the girlfriend and I visit most often, so I'll definitely make sure to bring the 3DS the next time we go. Thanks so much for the heads up!

You won't get puzzle pieces, but you can buy multiple 3DS's and street pass with yourself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or just set up a homepass. People have it organized to the point where you can get specific shirt colours if you need them.

Vancouver GAF: I'm going to be selling my new and unopened copy of Infamous: Second Sons for $60. Deciding to go digital with the game. Anyone wants it at that price let me know before I post it on Kijiji/Craigslist.

edit: spoken for

Fine folks of Winnipeg GAF,

I just got a 3DS XL and I've been trying to get into all the StreetPass fun, but I very rarely have any luck (I think three in total, so far). So, I was wondering if you could share with me the places in the city that you have had the most luck with StreetPass.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

(Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this. If it should go elsewhere, please let me know.)

U of M. Always get a bunch

http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/1k0g58/setting_up_a_streetpass_relay_at_home/

Basically you set your PC/Mac into bridge mode, spoof some MAC addresses, use the SSID attwifi, and poof, you get streetpasses over the interwebs.

Wow, people will come up with anything and everything, eh? This would kind of take the spontaneity and fun out of StreetPass, I think. Good to know the option exists, though.

U of M. Always get a bunch

Awesome. Will definitely take a stroll down there. Thank you!

AiKon & C4 are great places for StreetPasses.

I always seem to be out of town for work when these events roll through the city. Maybe this year I'll have more luck!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, people will come up with anything and everything, eh? This would kind of take the spontaneity and fun out of StreetPass, I think. Good to know the option exists, though.
Yeah, but it's useful if you live in a place where you just don't find people with 3dses and don't want to walk around a McDonalds hoping for a tag. lol

Posted on RFD.

PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas is on sale for $4.97

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/fallout-new-vegas-playstation-3/10145285.aspx?path=0e2c4a30217e39578a7f6d1fc2fb0483en02

Just a heads up though, PS3 version was pretty bad when it came out. I remember but roommate screaming all the time.

Infamous 1 on PS3 is $0.99.

http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/infamous/204196

Rayman Legends on Vita is $9.97

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ubisoft-rayman-legends-playstation-vita-31769/10255519.aspx?path=cfcd0c7f7d1ec1b14fe588715cfd9d0fen02

jred2k

Can anybody recommend a good eReader? I'm mainly interested in just using it as a reader, so multimedia capabilities aren't that important. I see that Kobos seem to be a little bit cheaper than a Kindle, but I am really wondering if one has an advantage in terms of book availability and pricing. If Amazon ends up having better deals on books I'd probably end up going with a Kindle. Any input on battery life would be helpful too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can anybody recommend a good eReader? I'm mainly interested in just using it as a reader, so multimedia capabilities aren't that important. I see that Kobos seem to be a little bit cheaper than a Kindle, but I am really wondering if one has an advantage in terms of book availability and pricing. If Amazon ends up having better deals on books I'd probably end up going with a Kindle. Any input on battery life would be helpful too.
I don't know anything about the Kobo, but the Kindle infrastructure is nice. Beyond just being able to send books from Amazon.com to your device, you can just email text documents/ebooks to yourself to add them to your devices as well, meaning you never have to connect your device to a computer pretty much ever.

That said, I think they took out the one huge feature - Kindles used to have free, unlimited 3g for web browsing.

Posted on RFD.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...1fc2fb0483en02

Just a heads up though, PS3 version was pretty bad when it came out. I remember but roommate screaming all the time.
Never buy a PS3 version of a game built on a Bethesda engine. lol

jred2k

I don't know anything about the Kobo, but the Kindle infrastructure is nice. Beyond just being able to send books from Amazon.com to your device, you can just email text documents/ebooks to yourself to add them to your devices as well, meaning you never have to connect your device to a computer pretty much ever.

That said, I think they took out the one huge feature - Kindles used to have free, unlimited 3g for web browsing.

Thanks for the input. I'd be using it 99% of the time at home so any 3G features aren't that important.

After looking a bit Amazon seems to have a better selection of books available at better prices. I'll probably end up going with the Kindle.

Posted on RFD.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/fallout-new-vegas-playstation-3/10145285.aspx?path=0e2c4a30217e39578a7f6d1fc2fb0483en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ubisoft-rayman-legends-playstation-vita-31769/10255519.aspx?path=cfcd0c7f7d1ec1b14fe588715cfd9d0fen02

Buy rayman if you haven't already. Amazing game!

Sajjaja

Posted on RFD.

I played quite a bit of FNV for PS3 when it was the same price at The Source. I had no problems. Got through most of the game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vancouver GAF: I'm going to be selling my new and unopened copy of Infamous: Second Sons for $60. Deciding to go digital with the game. Anyone wants it at that price let me know before I post it on Kijiji/Craigslist.
Hit me up, fool! If you're downtown tomorrow I'll take it off your hands.

vulva

Outside of the organization and cleanliness of a cramped flea market and their awful prices?

It's a small store but everything's organized alphabetically. If that's difficult for you then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm yet to see a single game being sold there that hasn't been cleaned and tested beforehand. They also test titles before selling it to the individual just to guarantee it's functioning properly. So I don't really get the cleanliness concern, unless you're referring to the physical store itself being cramped and with old boxes for games it may not be the prettiest. Hardly dirty, though.

So other than that, yeah I agree with you on the prices not being ideal. I can't wrap my head around how any of this equates to being awful though. Have you bought anything from them that didn't work and they didn't accept a return? Were they rude to you? I legitimately want to know if there were any issues beyond the pricing so I can let them know.

It's a small store but everything's organized alphabetically. If that's difficult for you then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm yet to see a single game being sold there that hasn't been cleaned and tested beforehand. They also test titles before selling it to the individual just to guarantee it's functioning properly. So I don't really get the cleanliness concern, unless you're referring to the physical store itself being cramped and with old boxes for games it may not be the prettiest. Hardly dirty, though.

So other than that, yeah I agree with you on the prices not being ideal. I can't wrap my head around how any of this equates to being awful though. Have you bought anything from them that didn't work and they didn't accept a return? Were they rude to you? I legitimately want to know if there were any issues beyond the pricing so I can let them know.

Gar is great but that place can be a little too cramped and messy for my liking. I'll still hit up the joint if I'm looking for something specific and price isn't a problem. They're extremely knowledgeable.

I just wish they could find/afford a better location.

MercuryLS

Banned
I've decided I'm going to go digital for Infamous as well. If someone wants to buy my sealed copy of the LE for $60 even and you live in Brampton/Mississauga let me know. I should have it delivered tomorrow so we could meet tomorrow night or on the weekend.

farisr

It seems like FS shipped me the regular version of inFamous: SS. This sucks.

Wait, how'd you figure that one out? Did you receive it?

Or are you just assuming because the title of the game didn't get updated when it shipped out?

btw, my game got shipped out as of 2.5 hours ago (or at least information was submitted) so there is actually a good chance I'll receive it tomorrow.

Edit: Ah, you matched the sku number on your invoice to the one online right? Well that royally sucks. Definitely contact customer support so they can fix this, or go on the tech forums and see if they can do anything (or can get you written statement that you can print out and take to the store closest to you to exchange for the limited).

Just in case, if you still want the limited edition that is, once it's 12am, FS time, and store reserve becomes available. Reserve a Limited edition copy at the store closest to you so there is one held while everything else is arranged. Then you can go in and exchange it.

Yeah, but it's useful if you live in a place where you just don't find people with 3dses and don't want to walk around a McDonalds hoping for a tag. lol

Haha, you're absolutely right about that! I can't say I ever frequent McDonald's, so hanging around one for a StreetPass will be an unusual experience. It's worth a shot at least once though!

If the price is 'not ideal', then what's the incentive in shopping at that place when you can walk a couple of blocks and find similar items? Or just grab stuff off of ebay?

If you like the place, I won't poop on your parade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, you're absolutely right about that! I can't say I ever frequent McDonald's, so hanging around one for a StreetPass will be an unusual experience. It's worth a shot at least once though!
It's also neat if you like seeing Japanese Streetpasses. lol

Anyway, does anyone know if the Chapters monthly coupons are still active? What would be the March code?

Sakura

This exchange rate is killing me. Do you guys think there is a good chance it will go up any time soon? At least above 90 cents? What if something like those pipelines go through

SVxM

It's also neat if you like seeing Japanese Streetpasses. lol

Anyway, does anyone know if the Chapters monthly coupons are still active? What would be the March code?

I don't think Chapters has monthly coupons anymore ($5 off 25/30). It's been a year since they have a new website redesign and I don't remember seeing those monthly coupons.

Sora_N

Can't believe FS actually doesn't have FFX for Vita. Its pretty ridiculous of them to take preorder s then. I need to call and complain.

vulva

If the price is 'not ideal', then what's the incentive in shopping at that place when you can walk a couple of blocks and find similar items? Or just grab stuff off of ebay?

If you like the place, I won't poop on your parade.

I'm trying to figure out what's so awful. Saying overpriced is one thing, awful lead me to think there were more problems than that.

Tagg9

So Future Shop just sent out my $40 InFamous. Of course, there's no chance I'm getting it tomorrow.

I wonder if I can just buy the LE in-store on Friday and then return my regular mailed edition next week...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think Chapters has monthly coupons anymore ($5 off 25/30). It's been a year since they have a new website redesign and I don't remember seeing those monthly coupons.
Ah, it's been a while since I ordered. That's too bad. :(

That said, I can't even think of something to buy to even it out to 25 for the Dark Souls 2 guide. I guess I need to ship to store.

farisr

They only show the webID number on their website. I'm assuming it's the regular version since that's what it says on my invoice.

Yeah, it's listed as the sku on the receipt but it's really a webID. My sku/webid number matches up with the limited edition webid.

For people who want to check whether they are receiving the Limited Edition or regular edition from Futureshop, open up your order receipt from the order details page.

Look for this:

LDlxelQ.jpg

Type in the number you see there into the search bar, and whichever version comes up is the one that's shipping out to you. Even though my invoice doesn't say it's the limited edition game in text, the sku matches up with the limited edition.

Top Bottom