• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Luigi87

Fan expo tickets going on sale? Lol they are greedy as greed gets so not bloody likely.

The last time I went I remember they continued to sell day tickets despite the building being over capacity so people that had weekend passes would go out to get lunch and not be able to get back in.

It didn't help that it was in the north building that year when it should have been the south but they messed up and had a secluding conflict with another con. How the frick they managed to mess that up with these things are planned over a year in advance I'll never know.

And don't even get me started on them expanding the convention to 4 days. Thanks to that a weekend pass is a whopping $115! For reference an Anime north weekend pass can be had for as low as $50 if you buy it far enough in advance (Between January and Mid march) and $60 normal price.

Bloody highway robbery is what it is

lol, that year they were back in the North building was also the last year I went to FanExpo. They over-expanded themselves and made ticket prices way too much.
$50 for one Saturday with limited access? No thanks.

simpleton

Bestbuy has wwe15 special edition for preorder for 69.99. Apparently everyone thinks it is a price error since everywhere else has it for $109.99. Comes with a Hulk Hogan autograph and a piece of ring canvas from one of his appearances and a few other goodies. I ordered one just for the collector value. I've become a video game horder the past year. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember going to Fan Expo the year I was in Ontario. It was the same weekend as PAX and all I could think the entire time was "I wish I was at PAX right now."

Now I'm back on the best coast so I get to do PAX instead <3
I haven't been in years, but I assume it's mostly a mess now. Sort of like a crappy comicon but without the premiere guests/panels.

long shot but does fan expo tickets go on sale?

You mean at a discounted price? NOPE. The organizers for a good few years really had no fucking clue what they were doing. There were a few years where they oversold tickets and couldn't get those people into the convention hall because there were too many people.

The last year where they only had one side of the convention hall was I think 2012 and that was also the only year I didn't go because I was on vacation in Asia. According to my friends who went (we go every year because it isn't much of a hassle to go to since we all live within the City of Toronto) in 2012 they said it was a shitshow.

I went last year in 2013 and it was a lot better, mainly cause they finally booked the whole convention hall. Even so they still botched it because the North hall was the "Sports" side which wasn't as crowded and I don't think the majority of people cared. I'm just interested in going this year cause they actually have a lot more games I can play a bit earlier (Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Evolve, Far Cry 4, AC Unity, Sunset Overdrive). Plus I'm a weirdo and like being in chaotic crowds. The whole plan is always get in early on Thursday and play games early with friends. The rest is wander artist alley trying to decide what to get because Fan Expo's artist alley is fucking HUGE compared to Anime North's

Also don't get me started on Fan Expo's $115 weekend pass as opposed to Anime North's $50 weekend pass. They're two different kinds of conventions but still.

xCobalt

Don't know how reliable the reviews for these sellers are. I'ma say it's a trap just because it looks to good to be true.

The listing seems to have a pretty good return policy. I don't use ebay often but is the "Ebay Money Back Guarantee" thing a default feature? Even if it doesn't turn out to be real, I'm assuming it isn't too much of a hassle to get my money back?

I bought a PS4 from the same seller a few weeks back for $379. It's legit. From reading rfd it's The Source ebay store. Shipping came from Canada Post in two days (Toronto), signature required. It also comes with a prepaid shipping label so you can return it within 30 days for a refund.

The warranty is a bit sketchy though. It says on the listing that you can return it to them within the warranty period (one year) but it also says you have to deal with the manufacturer directly.

Someone on rfd contacted them and they said that it shouldn't be a problem sending the ps4 off to Sony if they're issues, but if Sony says no (not on authorized dealer list) then you can send it to best-tech and they'll handle it (since they're The Source and is on the list).

Kyolux

If you have other games that lost discount, I would talk to them and complain. It's not your fault it was "cancelled", and it isn't "cancelled" anywhere else, so they should honor the price they gave it to you at.

Well, yeah, that's what I was thinking of. But I think I'll just focus on other games for now this October.

oneran

Damn I didn't expect Skyward Sword to be expensive/not that easy to find...

Normally (if your not in a rush) I find the best thing to do is check the used section on futureshop/bestbuy's website daily you may get lucky and get it in stock. I recently picked up Kirby's return to dreamland this way but I don't think your going to find SS anywhere for under $25. Good Luck!

Normally (if your not in a rush) I find the best thing to do is check the used section on futureshop/bestbuy's website daily you may get lucky and get it in stock. I recently picked up Kirby's return to dreamland this way but I don't think your going to find SS anywhere for under $25. Good Luck!

Yea one the EB in town has it for 39.99$ used and I don't know the condition. Only copy I can find right now outside of Ebay. I will keep checking FS/BB! No rush!

krae_man

Fanexpo is 90% merch booths, 5% Ubi, Sony and Microsoft booths and 5% pay $200 for a autograph and photo with some sci fi star. Total ripoff.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So, I moved in the fall and realized that I might be able to get Teksavvy now (North Vancouver didn't have it, Burnaby does)

... check prices, turns out they're actually more expensive than Shaw/Rogers? Hu? Why was I always assuming that they were cheaper? -confused-

For reference:

Teksavvy Cable 50 Unlimited: 99.95 per month for 50down/3up
Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60 Unlimited: 94.99 per month for 60down/10up
Shaw Broadband 100: 90.- per month for 100down/5up (not unlimited, but no overage fees/penalties)

jholmes

Fanexpo is 90% merch booths, 5% Ubi, Sony and Microsoft booths and 5% pay $200 for a autograph and photo with some sci fi star. Total ripoff.

I don't begrudge people who would go to Fan Expo to see something specific but it was an awful con 10 years ago and it's just crass how commercial it's become since then. I really pity people who decide to give the convention scene a shot and go to Fan Expo because I wouldn't go back to one if I did.

Smiley90

So, I moved in the fall and realized that I might be able to get Teksavvy now (North Vancouver didn't have it, Burnaby does)

... check prices, turns out they're actually more expensive than Shaw/Rogers? Hu? Why was I always assuming that they were cheaper? -confused-

For reference:

Shaw Broadband 100: 90.- per month for 100down/5up (not unlimited, but no overage fees/penalties)

As a student, this goes down even more... while Teksavy doesn't have any student pricing... (and no, we can't get Novus)

Shaw Broadband 50: 50.- per month for 8 months for 50down/3up (no cap enforcement)
Rogers Hybrid Fiber 60 Unlimited: 61 per month for 8 months for 60down/10up
Telus Internet 50: 40.- per month for 12 months for 50down/10up (no cap enforcement)

Am I missing something here? Novus would be best, but..... can't get it.

krae_man

For reference:

I have no idea how Rogers/Shaw is allowed to overcharge Teksavvy so much but apparently they are. The faster tiers are cheaper with Rogers somehow. if you're okay with 25mbps or less you can get a cheaper rate, but if you want fast, they are more expensive.

Edit: Oh it also makes a difference if you want Unlimited data.

big_z

tonight I price matched a target receipt at futureshop. I got.

-wii fit u with fit meter $9.00
-wii party u with wiimote plus $3.00

I realised when In my car they took the 10% from the target price and not the difference. Total price should have been closer to $7.50 :(

khaaan

Thanks I will get it. For that price, you can't go wrong lol

Did you happen to buy them? Do you know if NCIX does something other than express shipping? I don't have an account with them so I can't see but when I calculate shipping it only shows me express shipping for $8.

Smiley90

I have no idea how Rogers/Shaw is allowed to overcharge Teksavvy so much but apparently they are. The faster tiers are cheaper with Rogers somehow. if you're okay with 25mbps or less you can get a cheaper rate, but if you want fast, they are more expensive.

Edit: Oh it also makes a difference if you want Unlimited data.

well the prices I listed above are for either unlimited (Rogers) or non-enforced caps (telus&shaw)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Did you happen to buy them? Do you know if NCIX does something other than express shipping? I don't have an account with them so I can't see but when I calculate shipping it only shows me express shipping for $8.

I did. But I also bought a monitor, and that made my shipping free of change. Because total was > $100. But yes, when I only had speakers in chart, the shipping turned out to be $7 something. So I wasn't initially gonna buy it, but then I saw a great deal on a monitor so ended up buying it.

Lexxism

tonight I price matched a target receipt at futureshop. I got.

-wii fit u with fit meter $9.00
-wii party u with wiimote plus $3.00

I realised when In my car they took the 10% from the target price and not the difference. Total price should have been closer to $7.50 :(

Wow nice for wiimote+. I'm really tempted on this. What receipt did you use? I'll try my luck tomorrow. Hopefully they will let me.

ohlawd

oh yeah I had no luck pricematching when I did it a couple days ago.

one of these days I'm gonna be front and centre with these Target sales.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just a heads up, Bestbuy.ca has the WWE 2K15 Hulkamania Edition available to pre order for only $69.99 as opposed to $109.99.

PS4

XB1

Edit: Beaten like a government mule.

big_z

Wow nice for wiimote+. I'm really tempted on this. What receipt did you use? I'll try my luck tomorrow. Hopefully they will let me.

I used this one. the employees at my futureshop simply match the bar code number on the game with the receipt. I tried best buy before futureshop but the manager was aware that not all targets have the same pricing so ymmv but I managed to get donkey kong for $16 as well a few days earlier.

POzSM0V_zps479d7d8a.jpg

zroid

Banned
If there were something I wanted badly enough I probably would've tried these receipt shenanigans. But it seems like all the good deals are on Wii U games... and I already have all of those, lol.

Socreges

Banned
If there were something I wanted badly enough I probably would've tried these receipt shenanigans. But it seems like all the good deals are on Wii U games... and I already have all of those, lol.
It was perfect for me. I had a handful of WiiU games I'd been hoping would go on sale. And so they did.

There were tons of PS3/360 games, too, though. I picked up TLoU and FIFA 14 for $8 each.

Yeah I only need a couple more WiiU games but I'm not really in a hurry!

Jinto

The only Wii U game I still need to pick up is Tropical Freeze. Somehow, I missed seeing the receipt being posted. For $16 I would have tried price matching for sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't begrudge people who would go to Fan Expo to see something specific but it was an awful con 10 years ago and it's just crass how commercial it's become since then. I really pity people who decide to give the convention scene a shot and go to Fan Expo because I wouldn't go back to one if I did.
It's too bad all the cons in Toronto aren't actually in Toronto, except maybe Ad Astra... assuming that's even still a thing.

big_z

The only Wii U game I still need to pick up is Tropical Freeze. Somehow, I missed seeing the receipt being posted. For $16 I would have tried price matching for sure.

the target sale is going for another week so you could still price match it at future shop or best buy.

big_z

Is the sale in Ontario only? Or is it available in Alberta?

all targets Canada wide, although game selection varies depending on location. im in alberta myself and ive used target receipts from all over Canada to price match the following:

wii u luigi Mario bundle ($130)
MK8 ($37),
SM3DW ($30),
dktf ($16),
wii party u with wiimote plus ($3)
wii fit u with fit meter ($9)

I don't even bother with target due to dipshit hoarders. I just save the receipts to my phone and price match.

I think the only wii u game that I still need is Lego City Undercover.

check the red flag thread, I think theres receipts for that game showing $10.

i-Jest

all targets Canada wide, although game selection varies depending on location. im in alberta myself and ive used target receipts from all over Canada to price match the following:

wii u luigi Mario bundle ($130)
MK8 ($37),
SM3DW ($30),
dktf ($16),
wii party u with wiimote plus ($3)
wii fit u with fit meter ($9)

I don't even bother with target due to dipshit hoarders. I just save the receipts to my phone and price match.

check the red flag thread, I think theres receipts for that game showing $10.

I'd really take advantage of this sale but I'm sure my target is cleaned out. Anything and everything worth taking is gonzoooo. Damn hoarders.

kennah

Fingers crossed that I can manage to score Zelda and Fire Emblem during the target sale next week. Would it be worth picking up ahead of time and getting price protection?

khaaan

Got an e-mail from Best Buy Rewards Zone.
RlWZXvb.png

I haven't been keeping up with Xbone game prices so there probably have been better deals. I did a quick Amazon price search to get a ballpark of pricing:

Ryse: $39.99
Dead Rising 3: $38.99
Forza 5: $30.95
Zoo Tycoon: $22.53
Kinect Sports RIvals: $49.99

Not much in savings...

Seriously dude? why does every Xbox news has to come to this? Your statement applies to literally EVERY sale.

I don't think he's shitting on Xbox. This stuff that has been sitting around for a while and has seen heavy discounts already. I thought the same thing when I saw it.

kennah

Seriously dude? why does every Xbox news has to come to this? Your statement applies to literally EVERY sale.

I don't think he's shitting on Xbox. This stuff that has been sitting around for a while and has seen heavy discounts already. I thought the same thing when I saw it.

Yep. I wasn't poo pooing xbox at all. Just far from any 'top tier' titles there. Sales are divided into two categories 'buy shit that isn't selling' and 'look shiny come to our store and buy lots of other shit when you buy these'

Top Bottom