• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Lexxism

I used this one. the employees at my futureshop simply match the bar code number on the game with the receipt. I tried best buy before futureshop but the manager was aware that not all targets have the same pricing so ymmv but I managed to get donkey kong for $16 as well a few days earlier.

Thanks. I'll try my luck later.

Zing

Banned
Fingers crossed that I can manage to score Zelda and Fire Emblem during the target sale next week. Would it be worth picking up ahead of time and getting price protection?
For what it's worth, my local Target gave me a big hassle doing this before. I found out about a sale ahead of time (the $15 3DS game sale), went and bought the games I wanted, then came back after the sale took effect for a price adjustment. I had to talk with them for a while and even the manager didn't want to do it. He specifically said the store didn't adjust prices like that because of people buying the items ahead of the sale. He finally gave in, I think because I had bought the games so far in advance (about a week). If I had bought them the day before or something, he probably wouldn't have done the deal.

The only Wii U game I still need to pick up is Tropical Freeze. Somehow, I missed seeing the receipt being posted. For $16 I would have tried price matching for sure.

This and Lego City are the only games I still need to pick up!

all targets Canada wide, although game selection varies depending on location. im in alberta myself and ive used target receipts from all over Canada to price match the following:

wii u luigi Mario bundle ($130)
MK8 ($37),
SM3DW ($30),
dktf ($16),
wii party u with wiimote plus ($3)
wii fit u with fit meter ($9)

I don't even bother with target due to dipshit hoarders. I just save the receipts to my phone and price match.

check the red flag thread, I think theres receipts for that game showing $10.

Can you specify which store in AB allowed you to do that? Please :)

First time ordering from BB for the E3 deals. Can anyone in the GTA vouch for BB's charging and delivery times being all on release day? I have Akiba's Trip 2 coming in tomorrow and I was wondering if I would get it on release or on Wednesday

I have Disgaea 4 R coming from Amazon but let's be honest they'll find some way to fuck it up

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
First time ordering from BB for the E3 deals. Can anyone in the GTA vouch for BB's charging and delivery times being all on release day? I have Akiba's Trip 2 coming in tomorrow and I was wondering if I would get it on release or on Wednesday

I have Disgaea 4 R coming from Amazon but let's but they'll find some way to fuck it up

They charge the Thursday or Friday before release but they've never missed a release day delivery for me. I didn't get a shipping update for TLOU: R until the day after, but it still arrived on time.

They charge the Thursday or Friday before release but they've never missed a release day delivery for me. I didn't get a shipping update for TLOU: R until the day after, but it still arrived on time.

Well they didn't charge me for Akiba's Trip yet. I guess they'll charge me as soon as it ships tomorrow like with Amazon?

Hmm, I've never had them charge that late. Quite odd. No update on your order page?

Nope. I'm checking my delivery page now. They haven't charged me yet on their end cause it still says "Charged: $0.00." But then again I'm using Paypal to pay and it says "You will be charged as items ship or once your scheduled delivery date is issued."

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Nope. I'm checking my delivery page now. They haven't charged me yet on their end cause it still says "Charged: $0.00." But then again I'm using Paypal to pay and it says "You will be charged as items ship or once your scheduled delivery date is issued."

Ahh, with Paypal you won't get a charge until it actually ships, but just to make sure, is the option to cancel still there?

Ahh, with Paypal you won't get a charge until it actually ships, but just to make sure, is the option to cancel still there?

Yep the cancel button thing is still there on the bottom right. I'm just using this one order as a test run to see how BB handles Paypal and shipping on release day.

Yep the cancel button thing is still there on the bottom right. I'm just using this one order as a test run to see how BB handles Paypal and shipping on release day.

Might not have picked the best game for a test. They do pretty good but sometimes it gets a bit slower for niche games. However, I had problems with niche games at many retailers.

Edit: There is also the odd times where everyone is charged but you... and for some reason only your order is sleeping in limbo...

jzbluz

I have Disgaea 4 R coming from Amazon but let's be honest they'll find some way to fuck it up

Akiba's Trip 2 is a XSEED title, which as far as I know means that August 12 is actually the day that XSEED is shipping the title. Sometimes XSEED ships early, but I've never gotten a game from them on "release date".

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Your best bet might be to call them, but like Cuthbert said, Akiba's Trip might not be the best test.

Past

I also ordered Akiba's Trip for the Vita during the BB promotion, but now that a PS4 version has been announced I am not sure if I want it anymore. Even with the discount, 34.99 still seems pretty expensive for a handheld game. Don't know if I should return/cancel it or sell it on eBay for a really small profit.

I also ordered Akiba's Trip for the Vita during the BB promotion, but now that a PS4 version has been announced I am not sure if I want it anymore. Even with the discount, 34.99 still seems pretty expensive for a handheld game. Don't know if I should return/cancel it or sell it on eBay for a really small profit.

I always try Kijiji and the like for a small profit. 5$ to 10$ profit and no need to return to the store. If I don't sell within 2 weeks, I just kick my ass and return in to the store. I say that but I do not remember ever having to actually return a game... I always find a buyer!

Might not have picked the best game for a test. They do pretty good but sometimes it gets a bit slower for niche games. However, I had problems with niche games at many retailers.

Edit: There is also the odd times where everyone is charged but you... and for some reason only your order is sleeping in limbo...

Your best bet might be to call them, but like Cuthbert said, Akiba's Trip might not be the best test.

... I can't believe I just remembered Akiba's Trip is from XSEED and they tend to be a bit late. In fact, last time I pre-ordered an XSEED game, which was the Ys Tales of Celceta LE from EB Games, I got a call that it just came in and I could pick it up... At like 7:30 or 7:45 PM in the evening. An hour and 15 minutes before the store closed (I think). Yeah if they don't charge by tomorrow afternoon I'll call them.

EDIT: Well it looks like all my orders from BB from now until end of September are all niche games. Akiba's Trip 2, Theaterhythm Final Fantasy, and I guess Hyrule Warriors is niche as well but I'm assuming that'll come on time. I could always cancel my BB pre-orders anyway cause everything I actually want for sure is on Amazon, and the majority of stuff from BB is stuff like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne which are a year off anyway.

... I can't believe I just remembered Akiba's Trip is from XSEED and they tend to be a bit late. In fact, last time I pre-ordered an XSEED game, which was the Ys Tales of Celceta LE from EB Games, I got a call that it just came in and I could pick it up... At like 7:30 or 7:45 PM in the evening. An hour and 15 minutes before the store closed (I think). Yeah if they don't charge by tomorrow afternoon I'll call them.

EDIT: Well it looks like all my orders from BB from now until end of September are all niche games. Akiba's Trip 2, Theaterhythm Final Fantasy, and I guess Hyrule Warriors is niche as well but I'm assuming that'll come on time. I could always cancel my BB pre-orders anyway cause everything I actually want for sure is on Amazon, and the majority of stuff from BB is stuff like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne which are a year off anyway.

You should be good for those 2 games! What sucks with Friday release on some Nintendo titles like Hyrule Warriors is that if Best Buy ships a little bit too late, you miss the week-end and wait for Monday instead of just getting it one day late on Wednesday...

jzbluz

BB's system sucks. It wouldn't let me change my payment information or add a gift card to a preorder. I had to call cs for them to change it, and then apparently there was a glitch and my entire order was cancelled. I preorder again and supposedly cs applied a discount to match my cancelled order but I can't see it yet.

I have to change my payment information for another order but I dread doing it.

Fingers crossed that I can manage to score Zelda and Fire Emblem during the target sale next week. Would it be worth picking up ahead of time and getting price protection?

Sorry, I poked through the thread but didn't see any extra info... is there another sale coming up on 3DS games at Target next week? (Ie: week of Aug 18). Any other details available?

kennah

Sorry, I poked through the thread but didn't see any extra info... is there another sale coming up on 3DS games at Target next week? (Ie: week of Aug 18). Any other details available?
$10 off all 3ds games. Supposedly starts the 15th.

Black Republican is the gaf hookup. Search his posts.

XBP

So i bought a used copy of uncharted 1 from amazon and the seller sent me uncharted 3 instead (used). I dont have uncharted 3 either but i had planned on getting a new copy of it (goty edition). Although this used copy does look almost brand new. Not sure what to do, :S

i-Jest

So i bought a used copy of uncharted 1 from amazon and the seller sent me uncharted 3 instead (used). I dont have uncharted 3 either but i had planned on getting a new copy of it (goty edition). Although this used copy does look almost brand new. Not sure what to do, :S

Get what you paid for. Besides, Uncharted 3 sucks :p

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol thats pretty cool but isn't it already free for PS+?

Its certainly sucks compare to the second one, but obviously still worth playing before 4 comes out. Play all 3 in order.

XBP

I still need to play it. Missed out on the entire last gen catalog so i need to catch up. I already have uncharted 2 so I wanted to get 1 and then eventually 3. My plan is somewhat ruined now.

lol thats pretty cool but isn't it already free for PS+?
Its certainly sucks compare to the second one, but obviously still worth playing before 4 comes out. Play all 3 in order.

It was yes but sony took out all older games from IGC and moved to this new system of 2 games per system every month. I've missed out on a lot of good free games, :(

big_z

This and Lego City are the only games I still need to pick up!

Can you specify which store in AB allowed you to do that? Please :)

Future shop and best buy. I've had some luck at Walmart but odds are lower due to them requiring a customer service rep to override a price. It all comes down to the employee.

xanavi

all targets Canada wide, although game selection varies depending on location. im in alberta myself and ive used target receipts from all over Canada to price match the following:

wii u luigi Mario bundle ($130)

MK8 ($37),
SM3DW ($30),
dktf ($16),
wii party u with wiimote plus ($3)
wii fit u with fit meter ($9)

I don't even bother with target due to dipshit hoarders. I just save the receipts to my phone and price match.

Wii u for $130? Where can I find the receipt for that?

big_z

Wii u for $130? Where can I find the receipt for that?

Back in time. A month and a half ago Target was clearing out deluxe bundles for $150 one target sold someone the luigi bundle so a bunch of people price matched that receipt. a friend and i did it at futureshop so 10% the price difference to get it down to $130.

xanavi

Back in time. A month and a half ago Target was clearing out deluxe bundles for $150 one target sold someone the luigi bundle so a bunch of people price matched that receipt. a friend and i did it at futureshop so 10% the price difference to get it down to $130.

What a steal. There's no way I'm buying a wii u above $200 now just out of principle.

MesH

PS store is having an Anime Sale starting tomorrow, grabbing all 4 seasons of Naruto for 32 bucks in HD....Hells Yeah.

ohlawd

PS store is having an Anime Sale starting tomorrow, grabbing all 4 seasons of Naruto for 32 bucks in HD....Hells Yeah.
*Movie pricing and availability is for US only. Canadian pricing and availability may differ.

I'm hoping for Accel World to be available at least. Great if every show listed is there. Already seen it before but I really liked it so dropping 2 bucks for 12 episodes ain't no thang.

shit, really?

I thought this would follow the physical releases. Like for Naruto season 1, vol 1 would be 22 episodes.

I think it is individually. Whenever I checked the store for shows, they sell them by the episode. I am pretty sure they were $3 each, so that goes along with the listing of the sale.

Ac30

Hey guys, I've got something unrelated to gaming that's got me pulling my hair out. I've got an agreement with Fido expiring Sept. 1st that I'd like to cancel and I've just lost my phone; timing was great, but when I called to cancel my plan and block my phone I remebered the dealer supplied me with a phone on contract using a crooked birth date (I was 18 on arrival to Canada). Naturally I'd forgotten my fake one and I have no way to cancel my plan -- I heard that when the plan ends they put you on prepaid, can I then just leave my account inactive once my plan is paid in full? Thanks!

Hitman Inc

Neo Member
Superstore is selling the Xbox One with Kinect for $399.

I couldn't find it advertised anywhere, so Best Buy wouldn't price match, but I did pick one up at the superstore on Stony Plain in Edmonton.

DJ_Lae

Superstore is selling the Xbox One with Kinect for $399.

I couldn't find it advertised anywhere, so Best Buy wouldn't price match, but I did pick one up at the superstore on Stony Plain in Edmonton.

Damn, tempted to drive right over there myself. Were there any left? That location's videogame section is pretty pathetic on the best of days (then again, most Superstores are).

Would be ideal to pair it with one of their frequent save the GST + extra 5% discount, but that's probably not going to happen soon.

jholmes

Damn, tempted to drive right over there myself. Were there any left? That location's videogame section is pretty pathetic on the best of days (then again, most Superstores are).

Would be ideal to pair it with one of their frequent save the GST + extra 5% discount, but that's probably not going to happen soon.

I don't live in Alberta anymore, but one of my great video game purchases of recent memory was getting Pikmin 2 for $10 at a Superstore.

ahdurian

does anyone know if you get the preorder bonuses if you had ordered the game via BB's E3 deal?

With games like Hyrule Warriors getting retail exclusive ones, I'm curious to see if BB will actually provide the preorder bonuses on these

does anyone know if you get the preorder bonuses if you had ordered the game via BB's E3 deal?

With games like Hyrule Warriors getting retail exclusive ones, I'm curious to see if BB will actually provide the preorder bonuses on these

For DLC we usually do. Sometimes it's simply inside the box, other times it's sent by email. I am sure that we'll get a code for Hyrule Warriors.

Xenoflare

Persona 4 Ultimax is now $60 @ eb.

Again, why jack up the price in the first place when it's $60 in all other retailers since the day it was put up for pre-orders?

Top Bottom